daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 22nd, 2010, 10:47 PM   #12641
gt2437

Likes (Received): 0

Is it safe to say the steel that is up for the core (start of the office floors) is for two floors or just one?
gt2437 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2010, 11:11 PM   #12642
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt2437 View Post
Is it safe to say the steel that is up for the core (start of the office floors) is for two floors or just one?
I'm not sure if I understand your question completely. But I believe the core steel that is erected above the sixth floor will support floor 6M (mechanical) and then the 20th (office) floor.

So maybe in the future they will put up core steel to support two office floors at once.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 12:42 AM   #12643
Spartan_X

Likes (Received): 1366

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHundredStories View Post
That shot of WTC7 is awesome looking
Yeah, its like the building is transparent and you can see the sky behind... Very nice.

Spartan proverb
Spartan_X está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 01:04 AM   #12644
gt2437

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
I'm not sure if I understand your question completely. But I believe the core steel that is erected above the sixth floor will support floor 6M (mechanical) and then the 20th (office) floor.

So maybe in the future they will put up core steel to support two office floors at once.
thanks, yes that's what I mean, it appears that the horizontal supports and the height involved, looks like it would support 6M and the 20th floor.
gt2437 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 01:16 AM   #12645
Sren

image hosted on flickr

What are they doing there ?
Sren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 01:24 AM   #12646
roro987
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sren View Post
image hosted on flickr

What are they doing there ?
i think is a new crane
roro987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 01:24 AM   #12647
Zensteeldude

[QUOTE=Sren;50594357
What are they doing there ?[/QUOTE]

That is the boom of a tower crane. Don't get to excited though, it's not for a new crane unless they snuck one in out of sight of the cams.

The 2 tower cranes were put up in April 2007 one or both may be due for a boom change.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 01:55 AM   #12648
kalt
The Cold One

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1966 View Post
Ok I give. What the HELL has the post #12644 above have ANYTHING to do with the CONSTRUCTION of the WTC Tower number 1? Look you bunch of MORONS, I have been in this forum for sometime now and I'm pretty sick of you idiots posting Crap like that in here. Also while I'm on a roll, Stop complaining about the speed of this project. If you don't like it go get a job in the construction industry and then see what actually goes on everyday in and around a job site. You people are complete IDIOTS. It will get done when the last piece of material is in PLACE.
Now go watch your Computer Games and feel sorry for yourself becuase your all IDIOTS.
You might want to take a few courses in grammar before you start degrading other people's intelligence.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 02:17 AM   #12649
Sren

I know it. They make the kran arm shorter
Sren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 02:27 AM   #12650
Zensteeldude

that would be my first guess. It may also have been damaged or failed it's last inspection.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 02:31 AM   #12651
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

yes the speed at this rate is fine. I was down there November and this thing looks totally different. I haven't been down since and I don't plan on going back to its taller then the building surrounding it.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 11:36 AM   #12652
japanese001

Likes (Received): 707

I want to go to the town which was cool most in the world.
japanese001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 11:51 AM   #12653
Destroyed007
This space is for sale

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt2437 View Post
Sure thing, i got a kick out of it so I got the screen shot then! Spectre000 is correct, it is out of view now.

The shop will eventually move up once the floors goes higher and accessibility is complicated. It's not like we won't be able to see it at all times.

Or it could stay there since the concrete and all the steels for the core looks like they've blocked off the space needed for rising the container.
Destroyed007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 12:09 PM   #12654
armyv

Likes (Received): 2

It`s time for a third tower crane. They will replace the manitowoc 16000 from the west side to the east side. The big crawler crane will work in furture on tranportation hub. Thats why they build the wood way on the north side, IMO.
armyv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 03:53 PM   #12655
westmc9th
NYC=Amazing

Likes (Received): 6

NEW YORK – The waterfalls meant to evoke memories of the Sept. 11 dead stand three stories high in a field in Brooklyn, spilling down into a pool. Four large American flags poke through the grass to mark off each corner of a World Trade Center tower footprint.

For more than three weeks, builders of the Sept. 11 memorial have been tinkering with details like water flow and year-round heating with a mock-up of the cascades, part of Michael Arad's "Reflecting Absence" memorial at ground zero.

The architect saw the waterfalls — which will empty into huge reflecting pools set above the spots where the towers once stood — tested for the first time Friday as they were demonstrated for The Associated Press.

"One of the things I wanted the water and the design to do is to mark this continuous sense of absence," Arad said. "These voids, even though water falls into them ... they never fill up, they always remain empty, and that was very important to me," he added.

The waterfall-filled pools are the centerpiece of a memorial plaza that will take up half of the 16-acre site at ground zero. The pools will be surrounded by hundreds of sweetgum and white oak trees on a cobblestoned plaza; a memorial museum is being built below ground that will open about a year after the memorial.

The foundation overseeing the memorial raised $350 million privately to build it; the government agency that owns ground zero is spending hundreds of millions more on infrastructure at the site. Two of five planned skyscrapers and a multibillion-dollar transit hub are also under construction.

The waterfall mock-up being tested in Brooklyn is 40 feet wide, representing a corner of two walls of one pool — a fraction of its actual 176-foot perimeter. The waterfalls will drop 30 feet and then another 16 feet into a center void. Each will pump 26,000 gallons of water per minute.

Visitors on Friday looked up at the waterfalls. Once the memorials open at ground zero in lower Manhattan by the 10th anniversary of the 2001 attack, visitors will look down on them from street level. A low wall covered by bronze panels inscribed with nearly 3,000 victims' names will surround the pools.

[COLOR="blue"]Both the waterfalls and the name panels will be backlit at night, giving them a glow that will reinforce "the memorial is about the absence of the 2,982 people that were lost," said Joe Daniels, who heads the foundation overseeing the memorial.[/COLOR]

The mock-up was created primarily to test the weir, a small dam with fingerlike structures that helps create a rope-like water flow. It's where the water falls from the plaza level down to the base of the pool.

"The testing was required so that just the right veil of water ... is exactly what the designers are hoping to achieve," Daniels said.

The weir, made of darkened stainless steel, will be installed at ground zero within a few months after the rest of the mock-up is dismantled next week.

Memorial builders have tested the waterfalls' mechanism in Brooklyn dozens of times, adjusting and tweaking the flow of the water and how it hit the pool. They even tested to see whether flowers and other mementos left by visitors would disrupt the flow if they got stuck between the grooves.

"We've got it to the point where we've conquered the beast," project manager Ron Vega said Friday.

Once the waterfalls are turned on, "our intention is to run it forever," he said.

Memorial builders will fully install the waterfalls by spring 2011 so that they run by Sept. 11, 2011, Vega said.

The Brooklyn site also has a mock-up of the wall that will support the name panels. Most of it is in wood, but a 10-foot section is fashioned with the materials that will be used at the memorial site: granite for the walls, bronze for the name panels.

Fictitious names were cut into the metal and left outdoors since March to determine how the bronze would react to outdoor elements, whether snow or leaves would get stuck in lettering.

"Something like 1,400 linear feet of bronze, a massive amount" will be used for the panels, said Daniels. Each pool will have 76 name panels.

The mock-up also resulted in cutting off the sharp edges of the wall corner, enabling wheelchairs to pull up close. After the change, Arad realized the twin towers had similar edges.

A smaller mock-up of the waterfalls was tested in Canada four years ago. Made of plywood, it was built to see how it would function in extreme cold and to document levels of the falling water.

Builders later decided to install heaters that could be turned on when the temperature drops below freezing. But hiding the device while still making it accessible presented a challenge, he said.

A design adjustment that slightly separated the falls at the uppermost corner took care of that, allowing the device to be hidden in that spot under the metal of the weir. The small alteration also made the two corner falls appear more distinct from one another.

"I'm hoping the sound of the water will create a sense of place and being somewhat buffered from the city beyond while still being firmly within it," Arad said, creating "an environment that is conducive to contemplation in the middle of the city."

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/northeastnews/ci_14251690

Last edited by westmc9th; January 23rd, 2010 at 04:00 PM.
westmc9th no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 05:58 PM   #12656
spectre000

By GreenwichBoy, WNY, 1-23-10.

Old January 23rd, 2010, 08:31 PM   #12657
spectre000

By GreenwichBoy, WNY, 1-23-10. Not for the faint of heart.

Old January 23rd, 2010, 08:55 PM   #12658
adam-albany

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmc9th View Post
NEW YORK – The waterfalls meant to evoke memories of the Sept. 11 dead stand three stories high in a field in Brooklyn, spilling down into a pool. Four large American flags poke through the grass to mark off each corner of a World Trade Center tower footprint.

<snip>

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/northeastnews/ci_14251690
adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 09:04 PM   #12659
Desparye

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-albany View Post
The top left picture somewhat reminds me of the top floor of the old World Trade Center.
Desparye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 09:55 PM   #12660
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1031

I bet that was intentional. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the bands of water were meant to evoke the image of the original towers' vertical windows.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center