daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 26th, 2010, 09:32 AM   #12701
steve1young

Likes (Received): 18

I walked around the site for the first time late the other night and there are two things that struck me as something I'd be curious about if I never had the chance to see the site in person.

One is that the fencing around the site itself is covered with wrapping made out of heavy duty banner material. While many construction sites have this type of fencing around them, the WTC wrapping shows a number of images and site renderings that I haven't seen before. Very cool!

The other thing that really struck me was the size/thickness of those huge red girders. I knew they were big and everyone talks about how big they are and they look big in the pics, but when you see them in person they're really big! I mean REALLY BIG!! It almost seems like you could fit your whole body inside the vertical crevices of those huge girders and still have some room to wiggle or dance. Tango anyone? ENORMOUS!
steve1young no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #12702
Viperfreak2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 48

Agreed. When you look at the webcams or pictures posted here, you really don't see the scale. In person...wow
Viperfreak2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #12703
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Talkin' about the scale..Those workers are on the arm of the 1WTC crane...

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Flickr, AugustenBurroughs
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 03:59 PM   #12704
evany
skxawng by tsu'tey

Likes (Received): 69

I love NY but they should done much better then this one...still won't beat the empire state building..no height but in style...empire state building got alot of that and alot of fans...let's see out this one will come out...congrats

0rgulho & Raça em frente SPC <3
evany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 04:00 PM   #12705
buy
jack's wasted life

Likes (Received): 0

awesome pics. will 1wtc rise with 4 core cranes or just 2? the two red cranes on the ground will be too short soon right?
buy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 04:30 PM   #12706
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by buy View Post
awesome pics. will 1wtc rise with 4 core cranes or just 2? the two red cranes on the ground will be too short soon right?
The red cranes will be gone soon, they just need them to do one more floor. The rest will be done with the 2 core tower cranes plus one more that will be installed soon on the south side.
uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #12707
KyleGordon

They are putting up the steel on the north core now.
KyleGordon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2010, 11:12 PM   #12708
Sren

The one wtc cam isn´t working. NO!!!!!!
Sren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 03:23 AM   #12709
Westyguy

Likes (Received): 325

When are we likely to see rapid core rises? This is getting frustrating.
Westyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 03:54 AM   #12710
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Most likely never the core want get that far ahead of the rest of the building. The pace will be the same the whole way to the top no big core jumps from what I know.
Old January 27th, 2010, 06:08 AM   #12711
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteek_1976 View Post
how is this thread getting so vile....don't talk about this and don't talk about that! Talk about what i want you to talk about? as far as i can see relating the old and the new makes perfct sense in this thread. Aren't the asthetics of the new and old, both, whether you like them or not, important to the architectural community? Furthermore and even more importantly,(while the validity of wether or not the old should be talked about in this thread is debateable) since when has skyscrapercity started censoring peoples opinions? I like this building myself but, if i didn't, i think i have the right to say so in a respectful manner, regardless who does or doesn't agree. A building may not be to my liking but that doesn't mean that the thread is not for me!!!!! These threads are for everyone!!!!
The replies right after your post exactly tells you why. Cuz people can't shut up about politics and other offtopic stuff. SSC doesn't tell you what to post, as long as it is RELATED to the topic. Your post doesn't make any sense because people who say they don't like the building won't be prosecuted for anything and their opinion is respected. Indeed, when people start talking about terrorism and other stuff that's not related to the construction of the new Freedom Tower ( or it's not a useful contribution ) like my good friend Pfeuffer here, such persons never learn the lesson or choose to ignore it. I have to suspend his account for 10 days now.

I'm going to post a warning in the next post. Thanks for clearing this up bud, really helpful.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 06:10 AM   #12712
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

WARNING

Last warning. Just like i_am_hydrogen had to clean up a few threads a while ago, now it's my turn. Everyone who starts anything political or something that is not related to the construction of the Freedom Tower will get his/her account suspended for 10 days. We have a skybar for this kind of stuff.

Thanks for understanding.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 06:42 AM   #12713
adam-albany

Likes (Received): 1

From www.wtcprogress.com:
adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 06:57 AM   #12714
boss-ton

Likes (Received): 185

wait a second is there a new tunnel under the street going to the wfc from wtc or do people still have to use the pedestrian bridge to get across the road?? That picture seems to say they snuck a new tunnel under the road which would be amazing, but wouldnt that mean they had to dig under the wfc and install escalators somewhere inside??
boss-ton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 07:04 AM   #12715
IU
->

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1young View Post
One is that the fencing around the site itself is covered with wrapping made out of heavy duty banner material. While many construction sites have this type of fencing around them, the WTC wrapping shows a number of images and site renderings that I haven't seen before. Very cool!
Very cool indeed. I worked very close to the WTC last summer and each time I passed by the site, I would think about how cool it would be to have one of those (preferably the one showing all the towers) on the wall in my room.
IU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 07:38 AM   #12716
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5172

The progress they've made around the arches is impressive. I can't wait for the day when I can walk under them.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 08:13 AM   #12717
adam-albany

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-ton View Post
wait a second is there a new tunnel under the street going to the wfc from wtc or do people still have to use the pedestrian bridge to get across the road?? That picture seems to say they snuck a new tunnel under the road which would be amazing, but wouldnt that mean they had to dig under the wfc and install escalators somewhere inside??
Right now, people still have to use the pedestrian bridge, because the tunnel (officially "Hub Connector") between the WFC and the new WTC Transit Hub won't open until the new WTC Transit Hub itself opens. But yes, the connector will go underneath Route 9A and connect directly with the WFC. It's the long yellow bar along the middle of the left side of the top-left photo.

I'd imagine that they will still leave the pedestrian bridge up, though, because it'd be too big of a pain in the ass to go through the transit hub everytime someone wanted to cross 9A.
adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 08:40 AM   #12718
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-albany View Post

I'd imagine that they will still leave the pedestrian bridge up, though, because it'd be too big of a pain in the ass to go through the transit hub everytime someone wanted to cross 9A.
I wa under the impression that the pedestrian bridge would be demolished and replaced once 1 WTC was near completion. Am I wrong?
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #12719
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-ton View Post
Theres a new tunnel and it will go under route 9A with the entrance being just infront of the WFC not inside it.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2010, 05:50 PM   #12720
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5172

By GreenwichBoy, WNY, 1-27-10. Steel going up and concrete being poured!

spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center