daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 1st, 2010, 06:07 PM   #12801
adam-albany

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCrioyo View Post
I mean, the Burj Dubai (Burj Khalifa) was so significant in its own way and was such an important milestone for Dubai and the rest of the world, but it didnt take that long to be topped out...
But it wasn't built atop the bodies of 2,752 people, atop the wreckage of several major buildings. Just cleaning up the debris took years, and making the as many of the human remains as possible were reclaimed was a long and painstaking process. Then there's the fact that it's being built on an island, with the slurry walls that hold back the Hudson river needing to be replaced. It took years to get to get that corner of the site to the equivilant of a bare patch of desert, and even that they were building over an active PATH line. Were there avoidable delays? Absolutely. But even in the best case scenario, it would have taken much longer than a normal site to really kick into gear.
adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2010, 06:24 PM   #12802
Moby_

Likes (Received): 5

Does anyone know where i might find the building schedule with major milestones?
Moby_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 06:48 PM   #12803
kanye
WDNF-Mod | RIP desertpunk

Likes (Received): 8515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby_ View Post
Does anyone know where i might find the building schedule with major milestones?
there u go
http://www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/milestones.html
kanye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 07:12 PM   #12804
Moby_

nice, thank you
Moby_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 08:57 PM   #12805
MontanaGuy

Likes (Received): 51

ThatDarnSacramentan wrote:
Quote:
No, I noticed the street. I definitely noticed it because I've walked up and down it a few times. And yes, it may just be prep work, but it's prep work on America's biggest skyscraper project and it's prep work on a building that has much more meaning than just a regular glass and steel skyscraper.
I agree with what you're saying but as far as that building across the street is concerned I don't think many people will even notice it when this building is topped out. They had to work within the limitations of the surrounding area as well as the locations of the destroyed buildings where the memorials will be located. Besides, New York City is covered with skyscrapers and it's not unusual to see very tall buildings right next to each other.
MontanaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 10:13 PM   #12806
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5172

Once the fencing and pedestrian bridge over Vesey are removed the area will feel more open. I was around the WTC last August and it sure feels tight and clustered.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 11:12 PM   #12807
po-boy

I'm not crazy about this design, but it will be really nice when this building is completed. Good to see that the construction seems to be progressing more quickly these days.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 12:08 AM   #12808
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

image hosted on flickr

morrongiello
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 12:12 AM   #12809
ThatDarnSacramentan
The Punk With the Camera

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
ThatDarnSacramentan wrote:

I agree with what you're saying but as far as that building across the street is concerned I don't think many people will even notice it when this building is topped out. They had to work within the limitations of the surrounding area as well as the locations of the destroyed buildings where the memorials will be located. Besides, New York City is covered with skyscrapers and it's not unusual to see very tall buildings right next to each other.
I know exactly what you're saying. I've spent enough time in New York to know there are plenty of highrises in close quarters with each other. I just thought that, given they have a rather large plot (at least, for Manhattan it's large) of land to use, they wouldn't resort to putting their main building right up against the street.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 12:21 AM   #12810
zoe_panda82
Arriba la UV

Likes (Received): 2

totally agree, the construction is progressing very fast.
Can the yankees give classes of construction to the chilangos?
hehehe.
zoe_panda82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 01:00 AM   #12811
RKOwens44

Likes (Received): 0

Over 100 new pics from January up at rebuildgroundzero.com.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 01:18 AM   #12812
adam-albany

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
I know exactly what you're saying. I've spent enough time in New York to know there are plenty of highrises in close quarters with each other. I just thought that, given they have a rather large plot (at least, for Manhattan it's large) of land to use, they wouldn't resort to putting their main building right up against the street.
It's because they wanted to restore Fulton Street, which was was cut off at Church St when they build the WTC superblock back in the 1970s. That wedged the Freedom Tower into the short block between Vesey St and the future Fulton St.

You also have to remember that while the superblock is a huge amount of area for Manhattan, eight of the 16 acres, or half the site, is occupied by the National 9/11 Memorial. Part of the reason Fulton St and Greenwich St are being restored is so that the site will be divided into sacred and non-sacred spaces. When restored, Greenwich St and Fulton St will cross, dividing the superblock into four uneven quadrants. The largest quadrant, the SW quadrant, is the "sacred" part of the site. The surface will be totally dedicated to the memorial plaza and museum. The other three, smaller quadrants, were therefore freed to be non-sacred and open again for commercial development:

Both the North and East quadrants are long but narrow. 1WTC/Freedom Tower and a future performing arts center will be wedged into the North Quadrant. Towers 3 & 4 will be wedged into the East Quadrant along with the Transportation Hub. The NE Quandrant is just big enough for 2WTC.

Last edited by adam-albany; February 2nd, 2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 03:44 AM   #12813
vony91
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Sorry if this was answered already but what is the building going to be used for?
vony91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 09:02 AM   #12814
Taiki24
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vony91 View Post
Sorry if this was answered already but what is the building going to be used for?
Office space, just like the original World Trade Center towers.
-The art of dancing stands at the source of all the arts that express themselves first in the human person. The art of building, or architecture, is the beginning of all the arts that lie outside the person; and in the end they unite.

-Havelock Ellis, The Dance of Life (1923)
Taiki24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 09:19 AM   #12815
boss-ton

Likes (Received): 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by vony91 View Post
its a 108 story observation deck
boss-ton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 01:10 PM   #12816
ILOVENY

Likes (Received): 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-ton View Post
its a 108 story observation deck
Hahaha, no, it's a pedestal for the spire!
ILOVENY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 01:35 PM   #12817
Toymatz
Registered Lurker

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-albany View Post
It's because they wanted to restore Fulton Street, which was was cut off at Church St when they build the WTC superblock back in the 1970s. That wedged the Freedom Tower into the short block between Vesey St and the future Fulton St.

You also have to remember that while the superblock is a huge amount of area for Manhattan, eight of the 16 acres, or half the site, is occupied by the National 9/11 Memorial. Part of the reason Fulton St and Greenwich St are being restored is so that the site will be divided into sacred and non-sacred spaces. When restored, Greenwich St and Fulton St will cross, dividing the superblock into four uneven quadrants. The largest quadrant, the SE quadrant, is the "sacred" part of the site. The surface will be totally dedicated to the memorial plaza and museum. The other three, smaller quadrants, were therefore freed to be non-sacred and open again for commercial development:

Both the North and West quadrants are long but narrow. 1WTC/Freedom Tower and a future performing arts center will be wedged into the North Quadrant. Towers 3 & 4 will be wedged into the West Quadrant along with the Transportation Hub. The NE Quandrant is just big enough for 2WTC.
Thanx for the info but you kind'a got me confused there, sir...The memorial is in the southwest quadrant like the Hudson River is in the west side of Manhattan.

Last edited by Toymatz; February 2nd, 2010 at 01:49 PM.
Toymatz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 06:13 PM   #12818
adam-albany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymatz View Post
Thanx for the info but you kind'a got me confused there, sir...The memorial is in the southwest quadrant like the Hudson River is in the west side of Manhattan.
Sorry for the confusion. Two of the directions were mistyped in my original post, which I have no corrected. You're absolutely right, the Southwest Quadrant is the "sacred" portion. Likewise, it's the North and East Quadrants that are long but narrow.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 06:42 PM   #12819
mindgoessnap

Likes (Received): 43

Looks like they've been doing some controlled blasting today down near the transportation hub area. They had the blasting mats in place a few hours ago and they are hauling off the chunks of rock now.
mindgoessnap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:38 PM   #12820
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

GreenwichBoy, Feb. 2nd 2010:
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center