daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 21st, 2007, 04:24 AM   #1281
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaChris- View Post
Might as well 'suspend' this thread until something new happens. All of the 'updates' have nothing new.
The general public's expectation of what they should see and when they should see it is based on piffle. If all people are going to do is ask "Why is nothing happening?" they should not post. This is the largest office complex ever and the people in charge will make sure this is the best cluster in the world. Yes, it was put on hold for a year, but it's u/c right now, whether you can see that or not. And I'm tired of people saying ignorant stuff like, "It has been over 6 years and nothing is there." An insane amount of work has taken place since then. If it's not enough for you and if people can't say anything positive, don't say anything at all because this is not just some ordinary project; emotional connections to what's taking place are intense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thf5007 View Post
I think the slow rat may have to do with the construction of the slurry wall and the earth around the site
The slurry wall has nothing to do with 1WTC; it's for the other supertalls and its ahead of schedule.

Last edited by Ebola; June 21st, 2007 at 04:41 AM.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2007, 09:02 AM   #1282
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudvayneimn View Post
New progress?

Also, even though that is the top of the 1/9 subway tunnels, how long before Greenwich St is expected to open through the site?

Mike

Highcliff liked this post
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 10:14 PM   #1283
deez

Likes (Received): 2

*Pataki folk: "Let's go ahead and put up these steel columns for Dec. 16th..."

*Structural engineers/building planners: "Why in the blue f*&% would we put these things up now?"

*Pataki folk: "Just put them up already. They want to see progress, we'll woo them with our steel beams. That outta shut 'em up for a few months. Now carry on with digging your holes and spreading dirt for the next 6 months."

Highcliff liked this post
deez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 10:35 PM   #1284
emutiny

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post

*Structural engineers/building planners: "Why in the blue f*&% would we put these things up now?"

*Pataki folk: "Just put them up already. They want to see progress, we'll woo them with our steel beams. That outta shut 'em up for a few months. Now carry on with digging your holes and spreading dirt for the next 6 months."

edit:

*union ironworker delegate: Just make yourself look busy or your fired.
emutiny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 10:43 PM   #1285
thf5007

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post

Sad, but im convinced its true.
thf5007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 01:08 AM   #1286
eastwestrob
Daddyrabbit

Likes (Received): 9

With this many people asking the question ...What is the holdup?, One of us should know someone working at the WTC site that can provide answers. My only thought as a General Contractor is that changes were submitted with anticipation of approval by now...which would be enough reason to slap up 2 tower cranes. However, as I understand, these cranes have yet to be utilized.
eastwestrob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 01:10 AM   #1287
mcdonnell77

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
how are they gonna get this done by 2009?

half of 2007 is already gone.....
I would say 2010
mcdonnell77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 03:17 AM   #1288
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

Ignore 1WTC for now and focus on the new Goldman Sachs tower rising across the street. That should help ease your all's frustration.
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:37 AM   #1289
Landaus60

Ebola You Are Wasting Your Words On These Ignorant People. I Wrote The Below Message On This Board Almost A Month Ago And People Were Still Asking Why It's Taking So Long:

Read Below

Are you kidding? Time wasting? Just to do a little history refresher , a 'small' attack occured at this site not 50 years ago, not 20 years ago not even 10 years ago. It's been 6 1/2 years! For gosh sakes they were still finding body parts in the area as of late 2006! You could make the argument that family members had made that it really is a graveyard and nothing should be built there.
On top of all that the Deutsche Bank building , a pretty significant sized building, still has to be torn down.

How can anyone not understand how different this site is from any other building site there ever was and that there ever will be in the U.S.?

Can't understand why everyone in this forum is so impatient with the building of the Freedom Tower and The WTC site in general.

Can't you understand that NYC is unlike any other city and this project is unlike any other project EVER.

You cannot begin to understand the amount of infrastructure that is being built into the foundation for this building, included is multiple subway lines.
Landaus60 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:43 AM   #1290
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

They needs to do something with the barrier or it will become the nation's number one to commit sucuide after Golden Gates Bridge.

EDIT: I was refering to the renderings that was posted here just before it got deleted. MOD, you can delete my post if you want to.

Last edited by CrazyAboutCities; June 22nd, 2007 at 08:02 AM.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:49 AM   #1291
cincobarrio
Lurker

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maki-chan View Post
Thats what im saying, they are going slow as hell, in like 2 months they added a crane wow big deal. Though they could be done tons of other things but i dont see them in the pics.
i love how the empire state building can be finished within a year, but... you see where i'm going with this.
cincobarrio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:58 AM   #1292
great184
visionary

Likes (Received): 281

^ Its still the record for the fastest built supertall.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1536278
great184 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 05:52 PM   #1293
deez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landaus60 View Post
Ebola You Are Wasting Your Words On These Ignorant People. I Wrote The Below Message On This Board Almost A Month Ago And People Were Still Asking Why It's Taking So Long:

Read Below

Are you kidding? Time wasting? Just to do a little history refresher , a 'small' attack occured at this site not 50 years ago, not 20 years ago not even 10 years ago. It's been 6 1/2 years! For gosh sakes they were still finding body parts in the area as of late 2006! You could make the argument that family members had made that it really is a graveyard and nothing should be built there.
On top of all that the Deutsche Bank building , a pretty significant sized building, still has to be torn down.

How can anyone not understand how different this site is from any other building site there ever was and that there ever will be in the U.S.?

Can't understand why everyone in this forum is so impatient with the building of the Freedom Tower and The WTC site in general.

Can't you understand that NYC is unlike any other city and this project is unlike any other project EVER.

You cannot begin to understand the amount of infrastructure that is being built into the foundation for this building, included is multiple subway lines.

what's ignorant is green-lighting a ridiculous building plan to the point of laying a corner stone 3 years ago, only to have it scrapped because, frankly, it sucked. That's a whole lot of politikin', wasted time, and money. If they'd taken the proper measures, the right checks/balances, maybe we'd all be enjoying a cocktail at happy hour this afternoon on top of the Freedom Tower. Instead, we're where we should have been 3 years ago.

I know I know 'this forum is only about positive dialogue about current construction of the FT'----yea yea yea, you can only talk so much about that new cluster of rebar that one dude just assembled the other day. Or how about that north tower footprint where they've been moving piles of dirt for 2 months.

things are underway, but there's nothing wrong with venting....
deez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 12:53 AM   #1294
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

For those who are complaining about the 1WTC construction taking so long and that it is not rising I have made a small collage for you to observe.

1. Here is the core on June 1st, 3 weeks ago

2. Here is the most recent shot of the core

For those of you who can't see the progress, it is clear to me that the core is slightly rising. Just compare the crane heights in the first and second picture. You will see that the crane on the right has significantly risen and that some kind of formwork has been constructed under the cranes. Also just to the foreground of the crane significant work has been done to that part of the core.

Last edited by ramvid01; June 23rd, 2007 at 04:15 PM. Reason: missing a word
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 01:08 AM   #1295
EnDleSsWaLtZ

Likes (Received): 22

Clearly in ramvid01's pictures you can definetly see some good progress in the hole.
EnDleSsWaLtZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 01:14 AM   #1296
giovani kun
====(^.^)====

Likes (Received): 559

indeed we have some progress not much but it works
giovani kun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 05:12 AM   #1297
Hanshin-Tigress
BANNED

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkMantle View Post
i love how the empire state building can be finished within a year, but... you see where i'm going with this.
right.
Hanshin-Tigress no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 08:52 AM   #1298
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

good comparison ramvid1, thx for that. now i also can see a progress. and i've the feeling we'll see only 2 tower cranes and not 4
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 05:28 PM   #1299
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

Likes (Received): 17

Anywho, even though it doesn't look like much, it's good to see progress at the site.

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; June 25th, 2007 at 06:08 PM.
mudvayneimn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 10:34 PM   #1300
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
good comparison ramvid1, thx for that. now i also can see a progress. and i've the feeling we'll see only 2 tower cranes and not 4
There will be 4 tower cranes.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center