daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 22nd, 2010, 03:25 PM   #13101
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdy View Post
This tower is it stronger than WTC towers were before ?
yes, it can sustain a lot of damage.

Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2010, 05:10 PM   #13102
dark_shadow1
arctic tern

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmas View Post
I remember someone added a second freedom tower to one of the renders, and it actually looked pretty good, i was surprised how good it looked actually, a very worthy replacement still, what we are getting now, is also more than good enough.
This render?

Or this (with the approved design of the other towers):
dark_shadow1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 05:48 PM   #13103
bugstone

Likes (Received): 12

60 Minutes Link

Here is the link to the 60 Minutes piece:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...8927n#comments
bugstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 06:56 PM   #13104
rlewellen86

Likes (Received): 0

What if?

I am a follower of the forumns but have never posted. However after watching the 60 minutes report and looking at the proposed twin freedom tower pictures I had an idea I wanted to run by you guys that are more experienced and knowledgable on the situation.

Considering the lacklaster progress and apparent TBD status of tower 2,3,4, why not build a second freedom tower and call it a day? The design is approved and already available plus you would be providing another large amount of office/retail space to accomodate downtown. Even if current demand is an issue I highly doubt in the long term you would have trouble filling occupancy in either tower.

Plus after seeing the Empire State building being built in a year during the great depression, I do not see how stimulus funds could not be directed for what could be a "national pride" type project to stimulate the northeast with construction and manufacturing jobs.

Then in the end we have two towers modernizing and replacing the previous ones, along with providing a memorial, and rejuvenating downtown. I am sure this completely naive and ignorant of facts but it seemed like a solution to me.
rlewellen86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:06 PM   #13105
Carlo[NL]

Likes (Received): 515

In the 60 Minutes video, they say at its best ground zero would look like this:

With most of the buildings in doubt, I understand why they show it like this.
What I find the most disturbing is that Chris Ward says that the memorial couldn't be called completed by the tenth anniversary!
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:18 PM   #13106
adam-albany

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo[NL] View Post
In the 60 Minutes video, they say at its best ground zero would look like this:

With most of the buildings in doubt, I understand why they show it like this.
Except it makes no sense. 4WTC looks like that but 1WTC looks nothing like the generic building they've slotted in there. The New Yorker architecture critic was using models from one of the previous iterations of the site to make his rather smug point.
Quote:
What I find the most disturbing is that Chris Ward says that the memorial couldn't be called completed by the tenth anniversary!
That's how "60 Minutes" chose to frame it, but that's not what Chris Ward said at all: The memorial will be open on the tenth anniversary. But because the rest of the site will still be under construction, access will understandably be more limited than it would be once all of Ground Zero is completed.
adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:47 PM   #13107
Andrea80
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugstone View Post
Here is the link to the 60 Minutes piece:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...8927n#comments
Thanks for sharing the link!
Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:09 PM   #13108
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Thats not true , the taxes are less here and Jersey City and Newark are becoming New York city absorbers also Bloomberg has strong ties with the Mayors of both cities. Jersey City is = to Brooklyn and alot ppl would agree why me on that. Newark is like some parts of the Bronx , its trying and in some neighborhoods is coming back still needs alot of work. You can't ignore those facts.
what does Bloomberg having ties to both cities, have to do with New Yorkers not wanting to work in Jersey. Neighorhoods coming back to jersey is cool but it isn't Manhattan or Brooklyn and if those company could afford stay in NYC they would and thats a fact.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:48 PM   #13109
Carlo[NL]

Likes (Received): 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-albany View Post
That's how "60 Minutes" chose to frame it, but that's not what Chris Ward said at all: The memorial will be open on the tenth anniversary. But because the rest of the site will still be under construction, access will understandably be more limited than it would be once all of Ground Zero is completed.
Will that be good enough? I think the majority will not be satisfied with that.
In the 60 minutes they say that the WTC site is a national disgrace, I think most people agree with that, don't you?
Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:20 PM   #13110
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16995

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
what does Bloomberg having ties to both cities, have to do with New Yorkers not wanting to work in Jersey. Neighorhoods coming back to jersey is cool but it isn't Manhattan or Brooklyn and if those company could afford stay in NYC they would and thats a fact.
We have alot of Tax incentives , and deals to keep them aswell as a Growing Urban Renewal movement. I know alot of New Yorkers who work here some even form LI , and i know some New Jerseyites who work on LI. Jersey City is really building up fast, faster then NYC in some cases. NYC has little land left that can be built on , New Jersey has tons left and 1000s of Abandoned plots for half the price.

Getting back on topic , I truly don't see any work on the WTC intill 2015 , too much politics are involved in this project and raw emotions. But i do see a few things going up , as in Memorials , around NYC and Jersey City there are plans for small-to Large scale memories and Jersey City will build something similar to the Twin-Towers (more modern) starting later this year.

~Corey
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 11:05 PM   #13111
adam-albany

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo[NL] View Post
Will that be good enough? I think the majority will not be satisfied with that.
What magic wand do you suggest be waved to complete the rest of the site in 19 months? The Port Authority can't help that Larry Silverstein has failed to build, just as Larry Silverstein can't help that the commercial real estate market has collapsed and left him unable to obtain financing.
Quote:
In the 60 minutes they say that the WTC site is a national disgrace, I think most people agree with that, don't you?
I would say that there were lost years between the clean-up of the site and the Port Authority's takeover of the public portion of rebuilding. I would also say that this site was the grave site of 2,749 people, with remains still being found years after the attacks. I would note that there is active rail service running through the site 24/7 which greatly hampered below ground construction. And finally, I would note that even with none of other issues associated with 9/11, you'd still be dealing with the most complex construction site in the entire world.

Most of the people calling it a disgrace, the "60 Minutes" crew included, have no interest or understanding of construction on this scale. They got it in their heads that the site should be complete by the tenth anniversary of the attacks, and can't understand why the reality has failed to live up to their arbitrary and ungrounded deadlines. The biggest mistake was allowing the politicians to set lofty initial goals that were never feasible in the first place. Since the task has gotten down to the two parties with a real stake in things -- the landowner and the lease holder -- things have gone much smoother and much faster.
adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 11:11 PM   #13112
Athinaios
3D geo-modeler

Likes (Received): 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai Skyscraper View Post
wow, the 3D model is awesome
hopefully they will update it during the construction process!
that's my model, but right now GE shows a model which has been stolen by some fu***ing ******* :/ As I wrote in description of model, I'll make updates, when the tower will rise. Here's link to the latest update: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...31a5b7d7e03136

One World Trade Center in Google Earth
Athinaios no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 12:40 AM   #13113
bbtran72
Oh, come on!

Likes (Received): 2

wow you are good..greatjob..
bbtran72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 12:41 AM   #13114
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Jersey City will build something similar to the Twin-Towers (more modern) starting later this year.

~Corey
Hahahaahaha. Oh, you're one of those people.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 12:44 AM   #13115
Abdy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Where did you get information about Twin Towers in Jersey City ?
Abdy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 12:58 AM   #13116
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1030

Quote:
Jersey City will build something similar to the Twin-Towers (more modern) starting later this year.
Uh, no. That statement is absolutely false.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 01:04 AM   #13117
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

With out quoting you nexis where do you see Jersey out building NYC. Show me a list of that because I would like to see. And there's work going on at the WTC right now. And I too want to see where jersey building there own twin towers. And 60 minutes is filmed in NYC they can see tower 1 much taller then that.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 01:07 AM   #13118
boss-ton

Likes (Received): 184

Speaking of new jersey and the twin towers a little bit of history behind the two.....The port authority is in charge of new york and new jersey. New jersey didnt want the port authority to spend the 350 million on the twin towers in new york and not have any of that money benefit new jersey since it was both of their money. Therefore the site of the twins was moved to the new jersey side of lower manhattan and that allowed them to reconstruct the hudson and manhattan subway system that was on the future wtc site but was not working. It cost 70 million to rebuild the subway so both sides were getting some of the money and at the same time now new jersey had a tunnel to the new most important part of manhattan. That is what made new jersey agree to let the port authority build the twins towers and why they were in that location.
boss-ton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 01:36 AM   #13119
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16995

The Project is on hold for now but might start up again by later this year. ironically it will be built on top or next to the Journal SQ PATH Station.

& This is the Full planned conversion of the PATH corridor and Journal SQ , alot of us beleave this and the planned developments in Newark will move forward.

~Corey
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 01:40 AM   #13120
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1030

How is that at all similar to the Twin Towers?

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center