daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old March 8th, 2010, 06:42 AM   #13281
Nexis
Dark Wolf
 
Nexis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Along the Rails of North Jersey..
Posts: 15,663
Likes (Received): 16995

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
I have read before (maybe in NatGeo) that old fault lines are present in the NYC area and a significant earthquake (5+ on the Richter scale) could very well happen in or near Manhattan. Maybe not tomorrow, or even in this century, but the possibilty is there.

Those diagonal beams on the base remind me of construction you see in California. I'm betting siesmic activity was considered by the engineers.
Alot of Modern NJ Gold Coast High Rises and skyscrapers are built to withstand 6.0 and a few years ago a few Viaducts and Bridges were Earthquaked proofed. There are alot of small 2.0-4.0 Earthquakes each year in the NYC Metro.
__________________
My FLICKR Page < 54,100+ Photos of Urban Renewal , Infrastructure , Food and Nature in the Northeastern US
Visit the Reorganized New York City Section
My Photography Website
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2010, 08:51 AM   #13282
ABQ_X-PAT
A passion for Skyscrapers
 
ABQ_X-PAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: San Francisco California USA
Posts: 211
Likes (Received): 115

Core and steel

An observation that perhaps someone in the know can verify?

I noticed core steel goes up before rebar or anything else is wrapped around and the concrete pour.

In the pictures the outer steel and floor supports and trusses are attached directly to the steel frame of the core then rebar and reinforced concrete catches up where the steel, floor supports etc... is totally encased in the hardened concrete of the core? Looking at London's shard the outer steel is basically bolted to the concrete core where here outer steel appears to be encased as the forms, rebar and concrete catch up? If this is the case we have hardened concrete and especially strong steel interacting with each other?

**** me this is going to be one tough tower!

Is my observation correct? Hopefully what I wrote makes sense...
ABQ_X-PAT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #13283
cybeo
Registered User
 
cybeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 35
Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1young View Post




Should we feel sorry for the poor guy or should we just shoot him?
Actually I agree with him, the steel columns do look a bit thin for the mass that they'll have to support. I don't think his comment is silly at all.
Also the thicker lower columns are at strange angles.
No doubt this has been calculated on a computer and various scenarios have been factored in, but to the human eye it looks weak and suspect in places.
__________________
_____________________________________
For the day of the LORD of hosts shall be upon every one that is proud and lofty, and upon every one that is lifted up; and he shall be brought low: And upon all the cedars of Lebanon, that are high and lifted up, ... And upon every high tower, and upon every fenced wall, ..., and upon all pleasant pictures. And the loftiness of man shall be bowed down, and the haughtiness of men shall be made low: and the LORD alone shall be exalted in that day.
Isaiah 2v12-17
cybeo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:21 AM   #13284
RealVooDoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Roma
Posts: 3,550
Likes (Received): 980

Probably you don't realize the scale of the project, those beams are everything but thin




This is an old picture (i think from last september) just to show the beams size compared to a person
RealVooDoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:50 AM   #13285
Joachim
Registered User
 
Joachim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 263
Likes (Received): 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ_X-PAT View Post
An observation that perhaps someone in the know can verify?

I noticed core steel goes up before rebar or anything else is wrapped around and the concrete pour.

In the pictures the outer steel and floor supports and trusses are attached directly to the steel frame of the core then rebar and reinforced concrete catches up where the steel, floor supports etc... is totally encased in the hardened concrete of the core? Looking at London's shard the outer steel is basically bolted to the concrete core where here outer steel appears to be encased as the forms, rebar and concrete catch up? If this is the case we have hardened concrete and especially strong steel interacting with each other?

**** me this is going to be one tough tower!

Is my observation correct? Hopefully what I wrote makes sense...
I noticed the same thing on the steel ==> concrete order. In the picture below you can see quite well that only concrete has been used in the core in the first few meters. If you look at the first level however, you can look right trought the building, indicating that there are no concrete walls in the core blokking the view.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Joachim; March 8th, 2010 at 10:57 AM.
Joachim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #13286
rockdoctor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 155
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
I have read before (maybe in NatGeo) that old fault lines are present in the NYC area and a significant earthquake (5+ on the Richter scale) could very well happen in or near Manhattan. Maybe not tomorrow, or even in this century, but the possibilty is there.

Those diagonal beams on the base remind me of construction you see in California. I'm betting siesmic activity was considered by the engineers.
I'm a geologist. There are virtually no places on earth where faults are absent - earthquakes can happen anywhere. What matters is the likely size of earthquake, and the frequency. In places like NY, far from tectonic plate margins, significant earthquakes are likely to be very rare, and generally of small magnitude.
Even the UK gets occasional earthquakes, but when we are hit by one of the rare mag. 5 events it is national news, despite only knocking down a few house chimneys.
rockdoctor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #13287
T-2
Registered User
 
T-2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 15
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdoctor View Post
I'm a geologist. There are virtually no places on earth where faults are absent - earthquakes can happen anywhere. What matters is the likely size of earthquake, and the frequency. In places like NY, far from tectonic plate margins, significant earthquakes are likely to be very rare, and generally of small magnitude.
Even the UK gets occasional earthquakes, but when we are hit by one of the rare mag. 5 events it is national news, despite only knocking down a few house chimneys.

NY city is classed in zone 2a per UBC, the building has to be built with respect to this siesmic classing. I know the elevators have to comply to ASME seismic zone 2 in NY city.
T-2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #13288
Zensteeldude
Registered User
 
Zensteeldude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 602
Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Flores View Post
I am neither architect nor engineer, but in my non-expert view, I guess the metal (red color) are small and perhaps are not strong enough for the weight and height of this building in case of earthquake or alike.


Thx.
These are all sections of columns, subtract 311 feet from the elevation in the pic to get the true elevation. Beams are in red, plates in blue. The flange of a W14x730 is 126mm thick (slightly less than 5 inches).

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Zensteeldude; March 8th, 2010 at 04:31 PM.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 07:34 PM   #13289
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous
 
-Corey-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 16,220
Likes (Received): 5222

So is the Freedom Tower an earthquake-resistant structure? What if a magnitude-7 earthquake or even 8 strike Manhattan? I know it is unlikely in the near-future, but who knows.
__________________

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏

Last edited by -Corey-; March 8th, 2010 at 07:41 PM.
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 08:04 PM   #13290
YZBot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA
Posts: 14
Likes (Received): 0

As a site-wide observation, in the big hole to the E/SE I see a bunch of large rubber mats. I think they might be setting up to blow up some rock.
YZBot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 08:06 PM   #13291
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!
 
Atmosphere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Amsterdam / Seoul
Posts: 2,856
Likes (Received): 797

Quote:
So is the Freedom Tower an earthquake-resistant structure? What if a magnitude-7 earthquake or even 8 strike Manhattan? I know it is unlikely in the near-future, but who knows.
Bad luck then? I mean what if a meteorite hits Manhatten or a giant tsunami (which is possible when some volcano near Hawaii in the ocean gets active) or terrorists drops a nuke? You can't take care of every possible disaster only the most likely ones. Yes you could build the WTC to withstand an 8.0 earthquake but what's the point of that if no other building in New York is build to withstand, lets say even an 7.0 earthquake.
__________________
Build it
Atmosphere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #13292
FerrariEnzo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York-Cleveland
Posts: 353
Likes (Received): 9

I have read the past few pages of this thread and will just say this and then refrain from further comment. If you do not have updates, knowledgeable opinion, pictures, articles or comments directly related to this building. Why post? Please think about this as people who are actually interested in the evolution and construction of this building don't want to read about your 6th grade opinion on steel columns or load bearing conjectures.

Regarding earthquake, tsunami, ebola outbreak, hang nails or whatever else you crack heads are going to talk about, it isn't relevant. Go make a thread in skybar about it or rent the movie "2012".

Thank you have a nice day.
__________________
Abstract Thinking: MENSA-MEGA
www.us.mensa.org
http://www.megacenter.org/
Mega International resides on that level.
FerrariEnzo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #13293
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous
 
-Corey-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 16,220
Likes (Received): 5222

I asked a question about the Freedom Tower, not asking the same questions all over again, "Wow, great updates", "nice" etc. if you don't want more comments then why reply?.
__________________

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #13294
FerrariEnzo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York-Cleveland
Posts: 353
Likes (Received): 9

^It was more so a general comment, especially to some of the knuckle heads in the previous pages. Though I find it interesting you edited your comment to make it more specific in light of my remark. I think that speaks for itself.
__________________
Abstract Thinking: MENSA-MEGA
www.us.mensa.org
http://www.megacenter.org/
Mega International resides on that level.
FerrariEnzo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #13295
kingsc
Registered User
 
kingsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 2,761
Likes (Received): 199

So where is your update, pictures or news. Look you can't bitch about something and do what your bitching about at the sametime doesn't make much sense doesn't it. The weather is good today, best it's been in months.
__________________
My site
Entertainmentcove.weebly.com
kingsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #13296
Zensteeldude
Registered User
 
Zensteeldude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 602
Likes (Received): 11

The south crane is jumping.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 09:39 PM   #13297
Zensteeldude
Registered User
 
Zensteeldude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 602
Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Corey- View Post
So is the Freedom Tower an earthquake-resistant structure? What if a magnitude-7 earthquake or even 8 strike Manhattan? I know it is unlikely in the near-future, but who knows.
The inteligent answer to you question is: Yes, Tower One is designed to withstand the strongest earthquake predicted to hit the NYC area in the next 100 years.

The odds of a 7 or 8 hitting New York in the next 10,000 years is . . . . . you will win the Power Ball lottery 6 times before that happens.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #13298
casinoland
Registered User
 
casinoland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: somewhere up north
Posts: 106
Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmosphere View Post
Bad luck then? I mean what if a meteorite hits Manhatten or a giant tsunami (which is possible when some volcano near Hawaii in the ocean gets active) or terrorists drops a nuke? You can't take care of every possible disaster only the most likely ones. Yes you could build the WTC to withstand an 8.0 earthquake but what's the point of that if no other building in New York is build to withstand, lets say even an 7.0 earthquake.
you do know where hawaii is, right? and if you are talking about la palma in the canary islands, that's not gonna happen. incorrect assumptions were made about the risk of flank failure and a resulting tsunami. and obviously it received inappropriate attention from the media.
casinoland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:01 PM   #13299
Desparye
Registered User
 
Desparye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 162
Likes (Received): 4

The earthcam won't show a good view soon. :P What's the link to the other webcams?
Desparye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #13300
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 647
Likes (Received): 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZBot View Post
As a site-wide observation, in the big hole to the E/SE I see a bunch of large rubber mats. I think they might be setting up to blow up some rock.
They have been blasting for the last couple of months, digging the basement for the Transit Hub.
uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu