daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 29th, 2010, 12:08 AM   #13621
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1034

This is madness. Someone explain.

Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2010, 12:28 AM   #13622
RealVooDoo

Likes (Received): 980

The site doesn't support hotlink, so you have to copy and paste it instead of just clicking it
RealVooDoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 12:51 AM   #13623
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1034

So wait, they're lowering it through the roof of the PATH station? What's it for?
Old March 29th, 2010, 01:47 AM   #13624
RKOwens44

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNTower246810 View Post
the photo is still not working so many of us dont know what your talking about super columns...
Sorry, this should work...

And what I mean by super column is that the PATH mezzanine will have four super columns in it. A couple years ago, the big debate was whether the PATH mezzanine should be column-free (as it was originally planned), or whether it should be simplified with a handful of large columns which would make things cheaper and allow the memorial to be completed on time. They decided to add four super columns, and the first one went in this morning.
Old March 29th, 2010, 01:49 AM   #13625
niknak

Likes (Received): 317

I was at Ground Zero couple days ago. I must say I was very surprised that they actually have something built. For the past 9 years, I always used to be disappointed that Ground Zero was just a hole. Not anymore.

I'm looking forward to a great WTC site.

I still would have preferred if they had built the twin towers just taller.
niknak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 02:26 AM   #13626
CNTower246810
Call me TKD

Likes (Received): 678

lol the people are super tiny compared to super column...
CNTower246810 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 04:05 AM   #13627
BiggieSmalls

Likes (Received): 2

is that another one on the white cabbed truck to the north?

Nice job grabbing that screen shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens44 View Post

And what I mean by super column is that the PATH mezzanine will have four super columns in it.
BiggieSmalls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 05:15 AM   #13628
RKOwens44

FYI: With its highest floor slab at 240 feet and its highest column at around 243 feet above street level, 1WTC is now roughly the same height as the original 3WTC Marriot Hotel, which rose 242 feet above West Street.

Last edited by RKOwens44; March 29th, 2010 at 05:22 AM.
RKOwens44 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 07:10 AM   #13629
sakai
BANNED

Likes (Received): 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
This is madness. Someone explain.
sakai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 08:55 AM   #13630
mclancer
Take off, eh!

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadd22 View Post
It will only be about half as big. If you look at the tower from north, south, east or west it looks the same width on top as on the bottom. But the top you see is the diagonal of a 141" square, while the bottom is the side of a 200' square. So the top is only half the area.
If you look at the building from 45 degrees off, it looks completely different. Then the bottom looks 282' wide and the top only looks 141' wide. (approximate measurements. Zen knows them down to the Plank unit)

Thanks... (of course it is 45 degrees)

The time is here, "SUPERTALL FOR TORONTO" !!!
(Man, even the UK & Australia have one!... lol)
mclancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 10:16 AM   #13631
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknak View Post
I was at Ground Zero couple days ago. I must say I was very surprised that they actually have something built. For the past 9 years, I always used to be disappointed that Ground Zero was just a hole. Not anymore.

I'm looking forward to a great WTC site.

I still would have preferred if they had built the twin towers just taller.
Oh if you move quick you can catch silverstein and bloomberg I'm sure they'll change it to your liking anything to keep you happy.
Old March 29th, 2010, 11:07 PM   #13632
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

ACRE-SIZED SIGNATURE REFLECTING POOLS FOR NATIONAL SEPTEMBER 11 MEMORIAL FULLY FRAMED IN STEEL

Date: Mar 29, 2010

Press Release Number: 17

Nearly 100 Percent of the Steel for the Memorial Installed to Date;

Real-Time Video Through EarthCam's Webcam at national911memorial.org

And Through the Port Authority's WTC Web site at
www.wtcprogress.com

The National September 11 Memorial & Museum and the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey today announced that the two signature reflecting pools for the Memorial are completely framed in steel.

To date, 99.8 percent of the steel for the project has been installed and nearly 60 percent of concrete has been poured. When construction is completed, the total amount of steel will equal 8,151 tons - more than was used to build the Eiffel Tower - and the total amount of concrete will be 49,900 cubic yards. The Port Authority is building the Memorial and Museum on behalf of the Memorial Foundation.

"The Memorial pools are now clearly defined in steel, marking an exciting and visible milestone," 9/11 Memorial President Joe Daniels said. "The 9/11 Memorial is a true marker of progress at the World Trade Center site with these two pools helping to fulfill a promise to rebuild and replace the void left in the wake of the 9/11 attacks."

Port Authority Chairman Anthony R. Coscia said, "As the lead builder of the public projects on the World Trade Center site, we take enormous pride in seeing key parts of the Memorial take shape. We look ahead to meeting our commitment of opening the Memorial on the 10th anniversary."

Port Authority Executive Director Chris Ward said, "Opening the 9/11 Memorial on the 10th anniversary of the attacks is our highest priority, and the framing of the signature pools is a tangible sign that we are continuing to make significant progress to meet our commitment."

In the coming weeks, the granite stone lining the Memorial pools will begin to be installed within the pools. The Memorial pools are expected to be the largest man-made waterfalls in the country, pumping 52,000 gallons of recycled water per minute. The mammoth pools will sit within the original footprints of the fallen Twin Towers.

Surrounding the two Memorial pools will be a grove of nearly 400 oak trees. The trees are currently growing at a holding site in New Jersey and will begin to be planted later this year.

Ninety percent of the trade contracts for the project have been awarded to date. The Memorial is on schedule to open on 9/11/2011. The Memorial Museum is expected to open a year later.

ABOUT THE NATIONAL SEPTEMBER 11 MEMORIAL & MUSEUM

The National September 11 Memorial & Museum is the not-for-profit corporation created to oversee the design, raise the funds, and program and operate the Memorial & Museum at the World Trade Center site. The Memorial & Museum will be located on eight of the 16 acres of the site.

The Memorial will remember and honor the nearly 3,000 people who died in the horrific attacks of February 26, 1993, and September 11, 2001. The design, created by Michael Arad and Peter Walker, consists of two pools formed in the footprints of the original Twin Towers and a plaza of trees.

The Museum will display monumental artifacts linked to the events of September 11, while presenting intimate stories of loss, compassion, reckoning and recovery that are central to telling the story of the 2001 attacks and the aftermath. It will communicate key messages that embrace both the specificity and the universal implications of the events of 9/11; document the impact of those events on individual lives, as well as on local, national, and international communities; and explore the continuing significance of these events for our global community.

About the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey operates many of the busiest and most important transportation links in the region. They include John F. Kennedy International, Newark Liberty International, LaGuardia, Stewart International and Teterboro airports; AirTrain JFK and AirTrain Newark; the George Washington Bridge and Bus Station; the Lincoln and Holland tunnels; the three bridges between Staten Island and New Jersey; the PATH (Port Authority Trans-Hudson) rapid-transit system; Port Newark; the Elizabeth-Port Authority Marine Terminal; the Howland Hook Marine Terminal on Staten Island; the Port Authority Auto Marine Terminal; the Brooklyn Piers/Red Hook Container Terminal; and the Port Authority Bus Terminal in midtown Manhattan. The agency also owns the 16-acre World Trade Center site in Lower Manhattan and is a partner in the Access to the Region's Core tunnel project.
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 11:17 PM   #13633
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

New amazing video of the construction up there...

http://www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/video-gallery.html
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 12:10 AM   #13634
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:

And what I mean by super column is that the PATH mezzanine will have four super columns in it. A couple years ago, the big debate was whether the PATH mezzanine should be column-free (as it was originally planned), or whether it should be simplified with a handful of large columns which would make things cheaper and allow the memorial to be completed on time. They decided to add four super columns, and the first one went in this morning.
That is not a super column, it is way way too small and in the wrong place. The supers go in the Hub proper, not the PATH station.

One could drive an Indy car through a super laying on it's side. Well ya could if it didn't have diaphragms.

They really need the 18000 at the Hub site before they do any serious lifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYatKNIGHT View Post
It's one of the four columns added by Calatrava to replace the vierendeel trusses on each side. Two of them were installed. If you're in the PATH Station they can be seen coming through the stairwells. The stairwells had to be altered to accommodate them, all while (as was mentioned above) commuters move through the station.

Last edited by Zensteeldude; March 30th, 2010 at 01:12 AM.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 02:22 AM   #13635
Desparye

Likes (Received): 4

The rain's supposed to stop by Wednesday. I'm so excited that the tower's finally on the office floors.
Desparye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 03:25 AM   #13636
RKOwens44

Are you sure it's not one of the four columns which were added to the redesign a couple years back? Maybe I'm using the term "supercolumn" incorrectly when referring to what I'm talking about, but I mean the columns highlighted in red below:

It looks like it's in the exact same location as in the render, plus there are no other columns anywhere near that location in the renders. What else could it be for?
Old March 30th, 2010, 03:31 AM   #13637
RodrigoDuran

Location: San francisco , Vacavile ,CA95687 //EL SALVADOR -SAN SALVADOR -San luis
Likes (Received): 4

WOW THAT IS AMAZING
Old March 30th, 2010, 05:33 AM   #13638
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Are you sure it's not one of the four columns which were added to the redesign a couple years back? Maybe I'm using the term "supercolumn" incorrectly when referring to what I'm talking about, but I mean the columns highlighted in red below:

It looks like it's in the exact same location as in the render, plus there are no other columns anywhere near that location in the renders. What else could it be for?
It is one of the columns added to the design, but it is not a super column.

That column they put in the other day looks to be about as big as the columns supporting the west corridor with a bigger base plate. A super column is about 20 times that size in cross section. I wish I could post a pic from the prints.

Me looking through the prints, "HOLY SHIT !!!!!!!, OH MY GOD !!!!!!!!!!!"

Mind you I have been in construction for awhile.

All the steel that has gone up for Tower One well look tiny and weak compared to the steel for the Hub. But that is because the Hub steel needs to span great distances and carry considerable loads. It is not a neat and clean design like a tower.

Last edited by Zensteeldude; March 30th, 2010 at 05:49 AM. Reason: expanding thoughts
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 10:59 AM   #13639
Lusitania
Luxury and Speed

ah, so now the game is on, this will be like clockwork with the office floors beginning!
Old March 30th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #13640
Project Director
Jungle

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitania View Post
ah, so now the game is on, this will be like clockwork with the office floors beginning!
yea, bit more systematic so progress will be more apparent day to day, hoping that anywayz.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center