daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 6th, 2010, 03:15 PM   #13761
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperfreak2 View Post
One thing I noticed this weekend was how floor count does not even come close to total height. Look at the Hilton in that photo above. It is 55 stories. WTC7 is 52!
Yup. Just like every skyscraper known to man.

Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2010, 05:22 PM   #13762
skyperu34
TRUXILLO del PERU !!!

Likes (Received): 808

Nice view, nice to see it growing up faster.

Diseņo, arquitectura, arte y naturaleza en:

skyperu34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 05:50 PM   #13763
kenersej
I love New York!

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCrioyo View Post
there u go...so much security bullsh** and look at that plane right above the tower...still close enough to manhattan
Isn't that obvious with 3 major airports surrounding the city?
Just sayin'
Old April 6th, 2010, 05:55 PM   #13764
Viperfreak2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 48

It may look like it is 'right above' the site, in fact it is outside the bubble of protected air space. All the planes follow a specific path into the airports and in recent memory, only Air Force One broke that rule. To get to LaGuardia you sometimes fly up the Hudson then bank right.
Viperfreak2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 06:41 PM   #13765
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

they don't have to fly over Lower Manhattan to get to LaGuardia most flight cut through brooklyn unless there coming cross lets say from jersey and are to lazy to stop in nework lol
Old April 6th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #13766
OldWorldResident

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
westmc9th
When i looked at this pic a few hours ago i thought: this could be such a beautiful picture - but unfortunaly there is still this big ugly hole (in the NE of the WTC site).

Looks like somebody heard me?

OldWorldResident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:17 PM   #13767
bubbashuck
VA-LN-MA-IS-JE-B

Likes (Received): 167

Hi guys!
I have a question ( i suppose that it has been answered hundred of times), but in order not to read the whole topic....here i go:

Having a look in the news when stg new itīs said about NY, i thought in the "Zero zone" ( the way itīs called here in Spain), there was gonna be something like a glass palace designed by calatrava. Instead of that, i see what it seems to be the structure of two towers...

So, the project mix both ideas? Or calatrava building is out?
Regards from Spain and sorry again if the answer is fully covered before.

Thx!
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:25 PM   #13768
BiggieSmalls

Likes (Received): 2

^ the Calatrava designed transit hall is going exactly where they are pouring the cement in the picture above.

The Current 4 WTC is two "lots" to the south. 3 WTC is planned to the immediate south and 2 WTC is proposed to the immediate North.
BiggieSmalls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #13769
bubbashuck
VA-LN-MA-IS-JE-B

Got it! Thanks a lot! Iīll have a look from time to time here.
And lucky u guys, who live in NY. For some people, as me, itīs a dream.

Regards
Old April 7th, 2010, 12:34 AM   #13770
RKOwens44

Likes (Received): 0

Calatrava designed the transportation hub (which is mostly below ground) and the above-ground glass oculus. The oculus only takes up a very small portion of the overall site, as you can see in this model...

Old April 7th, 2010, 01:01 AM   #13771
bubbashuck
VA-LN-MA-IS-JE-B

Awesome.The hall looks quite small in the whole area, and i thought almost everything would be for that.
Nice place, iīll visit it, i promise
Old April 7th, 2010, 01:12 AM   #13772
RKOwens44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbashuck View Post
Awesome.The hall looks quite small in the whole area, and i thought almost everything would be for that.
Nice place, iīll visit it, i promise
Definitely visited it when it's completed, although unfortunately it won't be completed until AT LEAST the beginning of 2014. However, they're already behind schedule so most likely it won't be completed until 2015. (I'm just talking about the transportation hub... the memorial and some of the towers will be completed sooner.)
Old April 7th, 2010, 03:35 AM   #13773
The Mighty Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by percy07 View Post
Fantastic updates, thanks.

In this picture, 7WTC looks 1 dimensional - brilliant!

It's a beautiful building to look at. The view from inside is even better!
The Mighty Queen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 03:39 AM   #13774
The Mighty Queen

Looks like somebody heard me?

They did. Don't know if you've been following the saga, but Silverstein and the PA came to a general agreement on financial arrangements for the East Bathtub. I believe they have 120 days to hammer out the details. That will get some real construction going.
Old April 7th, 2010, 03:49 AM   #13775
The Mighty Queen

Quote:
I was in NYC this past weekend and I stayed at the Hilton. I watched the construction Friday and Saturday:
-They were busy Friday on WTC1, they stopped at 4pm (approx) Friday afternoon and nothing happened the rest of the weekend. I was suprised that anything happened due to it being the good Friday and Easter weekend holiday.
-The jackhammering machines were going NON-STOP on the transportation hub. Even up until LATE at night. I was in the 51st floor and it was still loud! They also seem to be cutting large square rocks and bringing them up from 'UNDER' the street!?! If you look on the HD cam, you can see a straight line of them at the left side of the bedrock.
-I saw a group of kids cross the bottom of the previous tower 1. I was like WTF? EVERYONE has construction vests (bright green/orange) and a hard hat. These kids had backpacks and baseball hats. I have a really good zoom on my camcorder and could easily see they didn't belong. No adult with them, and one left behind who had to run across to catch the other group who all exited through the small doorway on the west side. Strange lapse of security or just a normal event?
They do tours of the site for schools, I know, but it's a little disturbing that you didn't see any adult!
Old April 7th, 2010, 04:02 AM   #13776
VRS

Likes (Received): 11525

very nice panorama of NY
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 06:23 AM   #13777
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17003

I only took one photo for some odd reason when i visited the site today.

image hosted on flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 06:28 AM   #13778
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17003

Quote:
I was in NYC this past weekend and I stayed at the Hilton. I watched the construction Friday and Saturday:
-They were busy Friday on WTC1, they stopped at 4pm (approx) Friday afternoon and nothing happened the rest of the weekend. I was suprised that anything happened due to it being the good Friday and Easter weekend holiday.
-The jackhammering machines were going NON-STOP on the transportation hub. Even up until LATE at night. I was in the 51st floor and it was still loud! They also seem to be cutting large square rocks and bringing them up from 'UNDER' the street!?! If you look on the HD cam, you can see a straight line of them at the left side of the bedrock.
-I saw a group of kids cross the bottom of the previous tower 1. I was like WTF? EVERYONE has construction vests (bright green/orange) and a hard hat. These kids had backpacks and baseball hats. I have a really good zoom on my camcorder and could easily see they didn't belong. No adult with them, and one left behind who had to run across to catch the other group who all exited through the small doorway on the west side. Strange lapse of security or just a normal event?
Wait they were in the site itself? Thats a breach of security , and i doubt they do tours inside the site. On the outside yes , but not the inside due to all the machines and dangers. Did you get them on film? if so send it to the NYPD, someone needs to get in trouble for this.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 07:07 AM   #13779
RKOwens44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Wait they were in the site itself? Thats a breach of security , and i doubt they do tours inside the site. On the outside yes , but not the inside due to all the machines and dangers. Did you get them on film? if so send it to the NYPD, someone needs to get in trouble for this.
It's not that big of a deal. I got a day pass onto the site back in September and I'm a nobody as well (meaning, I'm not a construction worker, just an average joe). No one is allowed on without a hardhat and vest (borrowed). If there was an entire classroom of kids wearing hardhats on the site, then I'm sure they had permission to be on the site. In order to get onto the site, there are guys standing at the entrances (the only ones I ever went through were the main gate by 1WTC and one at the back of the temporary PATH entrance) who have to scan your pass before you're allowed onto the site. You can't just walk onto the site until someone notices you.
Old April 7th, 2010, 07:12 AM   #13780
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
I only took one photo for some odd reason when i visited the site today.

image hosted on flickr
A good shot of the rarely photographed north side. Thanks dude !

Deeply studying it for signs of pedestals for a climbing crane.

Nope, don't see any.

That third crane is still a mystery.

Last edited by Zensteeldude; April 7th, 2010 at 07:18 AM.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center