daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:17 PM   #14841
elcid1911

Likes (Received): 17

They would have to build it 1776 meters high

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:20 PM   #14842
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

http://www.lowermanhattan.info/const...wer_26204.aspx

Quote:
*The following information was last updated on July 2, 2010.

* Steel and concrete installation (multiple cranes on site). Tower steel is now at floor 28
* Both the south and north cores are now being erected as the structure rises
* "Cocoon" safety system now in place around upper perimeter, to rise with structure
* Final concrete installation on the sub-grade structure, including the surrounding plaza
* Utility installation and tie-ins
* Crews are coordinating substructure construction while maintaining PATH service
Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:35 PM   #14843
SD360

Likes (Received): 1

great to see that this project is going successfully
Old July 2nd, 2010, 08:54 PM   #14844
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

we're not going metric, they tried when I was 6 and let's say it didn't bold well.

Sidenote I just came back to NYC Monday. And I was think on my way through Jersey. I can't wait to see tower one from here. You can see ESB, BOA and for some reason The Times Towers clear from Newark.

Last edited by kingsc; July 2nd, 2010 at 09:22 PM.
kingsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 01:33 AM   #14845
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

The rebuildgroundzero webcam is up again! Nice to see all the progress.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 01:55 AM   #14846
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

Old July 3rd, 2010, 10:56 AM   #14847
Spartan_X

Likes (Received): 1366

It seems that the memorial for the old twin towers is coming along really quickly. The empty holes were the towers stood ( a very very nice memorial in my opinion ) seem to be almost finished.

Spartan proverb
Spartan_X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 11:14 AM   #14848
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16990

I took this on Thursday form Jersey City

image hosted on flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 11:56 AM   #14849
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3093

Deleted.....reading it thismorning ? agree I got off topic....sorry
But while I'm here.....Happy Fourth of July : ) It's the 4th here now, just another day...but know tomorrow you all with be celebrating. I have been in the USA three times on 4th July...........oops getting off topic ...again!

Last edited by redbaron_012; July 4th, 2010 at 05:57 AM.
redbaron_012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 01:34 PM   #14850
Martin S

Likes (Received): 3085

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
I mean this in a very non anti USA way.....I love the USA but the world finds it interesting...? if that's the right word when you hang onto things the rest of the world has left behind ? Funny but Australia had it's moment way back in 1966......we had Pounds as currency and Feet and Inches and miles for length and distance.....and Stones and pounds as weight......It was weird for a time but metric is now so easy..you already went metric with your money...haa why have a unit of 12 when 10 is so .....so obvious..yet when it comes to changing it will never happen as you live in a cocoon .....and get away with it because you have a big enough population to not have to think your part of the world........I say all this not frustrated or angry......just as an observer : ) .hmmm New York and this project the WTC is a strong focus of my life experience....in so many ways I wont go into..yet again here....I wish it and everyone in New York all the best and follow every step with great interest.....but smile about things you guys don't ever see...or think about : ).............all good really...that's what makes the world worth travelling....if not we would all stay home.
I am English and when I was young we had not only feet and inches but a currency based on twelve pennies to a shilling and twenty shillings to a pound.

However, from my schooldays I have used the metric system and for the engineering work that I do, I would never consider using anything else (although a knowledge of feet and inches is still necessary when working on old structures and interpreting old drawings.

But when it comes to measurement of the human body, the old imperial system is much better to the extent that even very young people will still express their height in terms of feet and inches. Metres are too big, millimetres far too small. Centimetres are a bit better but ruled out of the SI (Systeme Internationale) system.

The French architect Le Corbusier praised the British imperial system for its proportionality and proposed adopting a similar system internationally.

As for the use of twelve rather than ten. Ten is obvious because we have ten fingers. However, the people who decided that there should be twelve inches to a foot or twelve pennies to a shilling also had ten fingers - so why choose such an odd multiple - were they stupid or was it just cussedness?

As I understand it, there was a very good mathematical reason. Apart from itself and one, ten can only be divided into two lots of five or five lots of two. However, twelve can be divided into six lots of two, four lots of three, three lots of four or two lots of six. That made the use of twelve much more convenient.

I suppose we should have gone the whole hog and adopted a duodecimal system with 10 representing twelve and new numerals to represent ten and eleven and, since we didn't, the use of a measurement and currency system based on the decimal system has been more practical.

I'm not advocating going back to imperial measurement but if the USA goes on using the system indefinitely, I can't see it causing too many problems - after all they managed to land a man on the moon using feet and inches.

Sorry for sidetracking this thread and I promise not to do it again but I think that this is an interesting subject.
Martin S no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 04:29 PM   #14851
RealVooDoo

Likes (Received): 980

Quote:
But when it comes to measurement of the human body, the old imperial system is much better to the extent that even very young people will still express their height in terms of feet and inches. Metres are too big, millimetres far too small. Centimetres are a bit better but ruled out of the SI (Systeme Internationale) system.
Cm are out of the SI as much as feet and inches,

Quote:
Ten is obvious because we have ten fingers.
Ten is obvious because we have only 10 numerals, and it would be too difficult to add a couple.

Quote:
after all they managed to land a man on the moon using feet and inches.
And they lost a 300million dollar spacecraft for a misunderstanding between metrical and imperial units
RealVooDoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 07:26 PM   #14852
kingsc

Why are you guys talking about the metric system? let's get back on topic.

Last edited by kingsc; July 3rd, 2010 at 10:39 PM.
kingsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2010, 09:15 PM   #14853
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
and you got out talking about or systems and get back on topic
Are you aware that your posts are nearly incomprehensible like 50% of the time? I mean this in the politest way possible.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 10:37 PM   #14854
kingsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
Are you aware that your posts are nearly incomprehensible like 50% of the time? I mean this in the politest way possible.
Ya I know it hard for me to write, using my thumbs. And I keep losing my connection I'll fix my last post for you
Old July 3rd, 2010, 11:45 PM   #14855
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

By GreenwichBoy, WNY.

spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 03:57 AM   #14856
TXSkyWatcher

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
What's going to happen when the US finally goes metric ? the height wont mean much in feet then....?
That won't change the meaning, but firstly I doubt there will be a conversion anytime soon....doubt I'll ever see it.
TXSkyWatcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 05:59 AM   #14857
spiller9

Likes (Received): 10

this building wont be any taller or shorter than any of the other current supertalls in the world if the system were to change from imperial to metric. It will still be shorter than the BK and taller the the Sears Tower. The height stays the same!!

lol what a silly perspective.
spiller9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 06:16 AM   #14858
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3093

I got off this metric/ Imperial thing..all I was saying it is a symbolic measurement....in this case height in feet...sure it will stay the same whether the system changes but the measurement in Metres wont have that symbolic meaning.....we put up a 150ft flag pole for our 150th Anniversary but now it's just a tall flag pole because we're metric now....meanwhile back to WTC 1.
Old July 4th, 2010, 09:42 AM   #14859
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Quote:
What's going to happen when the US finally goes metric ? the height wont mean much in feet then....?
...it will still be 1,776 feet tall, metric or not. A foot will still be a foot.
Old July 4th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #14860
westmc9th
NYC=Amazing

Likes (Received): 6

We need to watch the hd cam closely on tuesday. The queen will be touring on that day, i wonder what exactly she will do or see probably just the memorial.. should be easy to spot her there will probably be a lot of people around her.
westmc9th no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center