daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 4th, 2010, 02:07 AM   #15261
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Is it possible? I saw a truck down at the tower...New steel?

DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2010, 02:08 AM   #15262
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

Likes (Received): 2916

The plan of building a mosque near Ground Zero to succeed

A committee of the city of New York, charged with the preservation of heritage, raised on Tuesday, August 2nd a major obstacle to the building of a controversial mosque in some steps of the site where were the twin towers destroyed by the assassination attempts of September 11th, 2001. Read continuation the article

Quote:
The committee decided unanimously to withdraw the building from the list of ancient monuments of 45-47, Park place, near Ground Zero, where the mosque must be constructed. The building dating of 1850 doesn't shelter any more from now on than a shop of clothes in abandonment. 'The committee voted by nine zero votes against to withdraw the building' of the list, declared his president, Robert Tierney.

Nine members of the committee explained alternately the reason of their choice, what gave rise to applauses in the room while another part of the public shouted: 'Shame '. A classification would have prevented the demolition of the building and thereabouts the building of the mosque and of an Islamic centre, very controversial plan. The building of this mosque had been approved in May by the town council of New York.

Besides the mosque, the future complex must shelter sports fields, theatre, restaurants and potentially day nursery. The supporters of plan support that the 'Home Cordoba' will help to overcome the negative stereotypes the Muslim community of the city of which continues suffering since attacks against the sky-scrapers of the World Trade Center, that had made about 3 000 dead.

The opponents support that to construct a mosque if near Ground Zero is an insult in memory of victims. The plan, which has the support of the mayor of New York, Michael Bloomberg, is notably reported vigorously by the republican ex-candidate for vice-presidency, Sarah Palin.

http://fr.news.yahoo.com/64/20100803...q-acb1c83.html

Approximate translation by Voila
Old August 4th, 2010, 02:15 AM   #15263
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2611

Has nothing to do with this building.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 03:16 AM   #15264
RKOwens4

Likes (Received): 1

It is related to this building, but still completely irrelevant. Who cares if Muslims want to build a mosque downtown. 9/11 was an attack by radicalized muslims who had been brainwashed by a perversion of islam. I have no problem with the muslim community in general, many of whom died on 9/11. Besides, it's not being built on Ground Zero, it's not even being built adjacent to Ground Zero. So what if it's NEAR Ground Zero, every single thing downtown is NEAR Ground Zero (the furthest you can possibly get from Ground Zero in any direction is like only half a mile).

Zaz965 liked this post
RKOwens4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 03:38 AM   #15265
droneriot
Urban Hermit

"Irrelevant" is probably an understatement. There really shouldn't even be any discusssion over whatever latest populist craze Sarah Palin tries to latch onto in her desperate attempts to gain any media attention. I shouldn't even have dignified it with this blatantly off-topic post. Fact is: There are muslims in Lower Manhattan, you better believe it. And oh my, those muslims like to pray to Allah! How dare they! Let's be shocked and outraged, because who'd have expected such a thing in one of the most diverse cities on the planet! There are muslims living in a metropolis that has people of all colours and creeds inhabiting it? Impossible!!

Friggin' hell...
Old August 4th, 2010, 04:36 AM   #15266
Cadillac

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens4 View Post
It is related to this building, but still completely irrelevant. Who cares if Muslims want to build a mosque downtown. 9/11 was an attack by radicalized muslims who had been brainwashed by a perversion of islam. I have no problem with the muslim community in general, many of whom died on 9/11. Besides, it's not being built on Ground Zero, it's not even being built adjacent to Ground Zero. So what if it's NEAR Ground Zero, every single thing downtown is NEAR Ground Zero (the furthest you can possibly get from Ground Zero in any direction is like only half a mile).

I totally agree with everything you said. Besides, maybe the radicals won't want to attack an area that is this diverse.
Cadillac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 05:03 AM   #15267
QuarterMileSidewalk
Laissez-Faire Forever!

Likes (Received): 11

^Um... You mean like how they already did?

Near as any of us can figure, the 9/11 hijackers had exactly no concern for the demographics of Lower Manhattan, just the symbolic shock value of taking down the Twin Towers.

But that's beside the point. If the zoning allows it, people can build whatever they want. It's the free exercise of religion. I have a problem with people who think it's okay to stifle freedom when it doesn't suit their personal worldview.

Which is also beside the point.

Last edited by QuarterMileSidewalk; August 4th, 2010 at 06:37 AM.
QuarterMileSidewalk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 06:43 AM   #15268
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

Who cares about what religious whatever gets built "near" this site? There's a church across the street, mosque, temple, who cares, let's stick on topic to 1 WTC please.

- A
Old August 4th, 2010, 07:09 AM   #15269
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

That how you know none of you are from NYC. You ask a pointless question like who cares. The family of the victims care and the man and women who put their lives on the line that day care. But that neither here or there. Only thing worth talking about in this thread, is this building.
Old August 4th, 2010, 07:40 AM   #15270
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Old August 4th, 2010, 07:47 AM   #15271
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
That would mean over 1/3 of the total office space. Great news.
NY State and the US goverment also committed to 1.2 m sf, and Vantone of China committed to 190,000 sf. Therefore, these, together with Conde's 1m sf, mean that this tower basically is full. Consequently, demand will line up soon for Foster's and Rogers' towers.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 08:21 AM   #15272
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

What about conde mid town tower. I've been wonder about it. do they own that building?
Old August 4th, 2010, 06:38 PM   #15273
ShieldCastle

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
What about conde mid town tower. I've been wonder about it. do they own that building?
No, they just lease a major part of it.

The Durst Organization owns it, there are a lot of other tenants in Conde Nast Building
(Really called 4 Times Square: http://www.durst.org/properties/four_times_square.php)
ShieldCastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #15274
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
NY State and the US goverment also committed to 1.2 m sf, and Vantone of China committed to 190,000 sf. Therefore, these, together with Conde's 1m sf, mean that this tower basically is full. Consequently, demand will line up soon for Foster's and Rogers' towers.
Those government leases are not signed, so I'd be wary of counting them. If 1WTC can fill up without government leases, I'd rather see them move to Silverstein's towers.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 09:16 PM   #15275
Athinaios
3D geo-modeler

Likes (Received): 136

08/03/2010 all taken by me:

View from the Top of The Rock:

One World Trade Center in Google Earth
Athinaios no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 11:50 PM   #15276
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

Cranes are jumping!!!!
uakoops está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2010, 12:20 AM   #15277
filipu94

Likes (Received): 79

Athinaios, great pics! I do really see the progress
filipu94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2010, 12:57 AM   #15278
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
Those government leases are not signed, so I'd be wary of counting them. If 1WTC can fill up without government leases, I'd rather see them move to Silverstein's towers.
They're not signed, but there are firm commitments. 1 and 4 WTC were always envisioned to have state and federal tenants occupying the bulk of the towers. They will be signed, and 1 WTC will be nearly full. Therefore, demand will be great for 2 and 3 WTC.
Old August 5th, 2010, 01:57 AM   #15279
droneriot
Urban Hermit

WFC, 7WTC and Goldman Sachs make such an awesome modern cluster by themselves already, it will be beyond awesome once 1-4WTC dominate it.
Old August 5th, 2010, 02:50 AM   #15280
RobertWalpole
BANNED

I thought the same as you when I saw this photo.

Zaz965 liked this post

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center