daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 23rd, 2010, 08:41 AM   #15601
boss-ton

Likes (Received): 182

Did u make those renders?
boss-ton no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2010, 09:03 AM   #15602
Skyscrapers144
RISING HIGH

Likes (Received): 1023

Or maybe to cover from the rain, wind, or bad weather

You should follow me on...
Twitter
Instagram
Tumblr
Skyscrapers144 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 01:30 PM   #15603
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Interesting post over at WNY by lofter1...

"Nearly 41 years ago, when the original was about the same height that the new one is now."

"Aerial view of the North Tower of the World Trade Center Twin Towers under construction looking northwest. September 1969. Now, the North Tower rises 26 stories."

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 01:36 PM   #15604
selvovic

Likes (Received): 4

So that is the Hudson River flowing right next to the old WTC!?
selvovic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 01:51 PM   #15605
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 3046

wow alot of land was reclaimed between then and now, would have been nice if the river was still just as close, would have made the memorial even better
Eastern37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 02:07 PM   #15606
Coolkenneth

Likes (Received): 0

Glad to hear that the progress is going faster now
Coolkenneth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 03:11 PM   #15607
spiller9

Likes (Received): 10

That's a great shot of the old north tower. Boy, I knew they reclaimed some land on the Hudson but not that much! I wonder if lower manhattan will ever become any wider!?
spiller9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:36 PM   #15608
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiller9 View Post
That's a great shot of the old north tower. Boy, I knew they reclaimed some land on the Hudson but not that much! I wonder if lower manhattan will ever become any wider!?
The entire Battery Park City is built on landfill created from the dirt they dug out when they built the original WTC.
uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 07:29 PM   #15609
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscrapers144 View Post
Or maybe to cover from the rain, wind, or bad weather
Simply safety net
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 08:31 PM   #15610
Johannes867

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by uakoops View Post
The entire Battery Park City is built on landfill created from the dirt they dug out when they built the original WTC.
I heard this many times, but seeing this picture i disbelief this rumour. Large parts of the site are excavated and already filled again an the Hudson is still very close, where now the WFC is.

i think it came from many other sites. not only what now is GC.

Johannes
Bavaria - Germany
Johannes867 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 08:39 PM   #15611
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

I also don't think they reclaimed the area ONLY using the dug up dirt from the WTC site. The reclaimed area is just too big, not to mention there is no reclamation going on there and the hole was already dug years before.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 08:45 PM   #15612
Towards The Sun
and beyond....

Likes (Received): 2

Perhaps it's just me but the old tower looks much more substantial. More steel that's tightly "knitted" so-to-speak. Obviously it's an optical misperception. Does anyone else notice this?
Towards The Sun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 08:52 PM   #15613
Viperfreak2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 48

I agree that the twins were super strong. The fireproofing material and drywall core walls were the weak links, not the buildings design/construction.
Viperfreak2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 11:13 PM   #15614
Martin S

Likes (Received): 3085

The Twins were designed with a strong steel central core and an outer shell of closely spaced columns, which allowed the office space in between to be column free. One reason that this structural method was adopted apparently was because the Japanese architect had a fear of heights and hated the thought of large windows looking out onto the city hundreds of feet below. The structural arrangement was intended to be light and economical and I guess that, if anything, the new tower will use more steel per square foot of office space due to security concerns.

I've heard it said that New York skyscrapers have traditionally used steel for their construction due to pressure from steel unions, which might explain why the designers have not gone for a formed concrete core for the new tower and instead opted for a steel solution with a concrete infill.
Martin S no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 11:16 PM   #15615
NEWYorker boy

Likes (Received): 0

I can't wait
NEWYorker boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 12:10 AM   #15616
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperfreak2 View Post
I agree that the twins were super strong. The fireproofing material and drywall core walls were the weak links, not the buildings design/construction.
Let's not go into the safety side of it. I think the impacts of the airliners are just too much for any modern buildings of that height to withstand.
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 04:11 AM   #15617
melkor

Likes (Received): 5

It should be known by now that there was a fatal flaw in the design of the original towers. While very stong as a whole, a compromised component led to their demise. A building built with traditional connections would not have had a similar fate under similar circumstances. Old photos like the one shown above are a reminder to us.
melkor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 06:40 AM   #15618
Handbanana

Likes (Received): 20

Dont both towers use exterior columns in their construction? Also melkor, what do you mean by connections? Are you talking about the beams under the floors that connected the columns to the core of the WTC?
Handbanana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 09:12 AM   #15619
Turbosnail

Likes (Received): 266

This from the New York Post today -

New York Post: Tuesday, August 24th, 2010

Believe it or not, Bank of America — having comfortably settled into its grand new tower at 1 Bryant Park — is on the prowl for up to 1 million square feet more of office space in Manhattan.

And that could spell more good news for 1 World Trade Center, the supertall, and suddenly superhot, Ground Zero tower now under construction by the Port Authority.

Condé Nast recently signed a letter of intent with the PA for about 1 million square feet in the 2.6 million square-foot skyscraper, and this column last month broke the news that Bank of NY Mellon is at least taking a good look at it.

Now, we’ve learned, BofA has requests for proposals out with landlords both in Midtown and downtown to replace roughly 1 million square feet it has in some older buildings including 1185 Sixth Ave. and 114 West 47th St., where leases expire in a few years.

Sources said the bank prefers at least half of its relocation space to be at a newly minted address with features similar to those at 1 Bryant Park, which it co-owns with Douglas Durst — i.e., LEED-certified environmental design, advanced electronic technology and relatively column-free floor plates.

In Midtown, the only suitable location would seem to be 11 Times Square, where 500,000 feet remain up for grabs.

Downtown, only 1 WTC (in which Durst now holds a minority stake) is in fullbore construction for completion in 2013. Larry Silverstein’s 4 WTC could offer comparably modern space, but construction above a six-story base awaits completion of a financing agreement between him and the PA.

In other words, after years of being derided in certain quarters, 1 WTC is the hottest game in town.

The tower’s Cushman & Wakefield leasing team led by vice-chairman Tara Stacom — 1 WTC’s agent since 2007, whom we ridiculously managed to chop out of last week’s item about the project — would seem to be sitting pretty with the Condé Nast term-sheet in hand.

BofA has tapped a Stacomled Cushman & Wakefield team including John Cushman, Mitch Konsker and Melissa Bazar to handle its Midtown search, and Jones Lang LaSalle’s John Ryan and Mike Shenot to explore downtown.

Stacom declined to comment and Ryan did not return a call.

Meanwhile, BoNY, repped by JLL’s Peter Riguardi, is known to crave a new headquarters that would bring the venerable bank’s image into the modern age — which its longtime home at beautiful but obsolescent 1 Wall Street can’t do. Again, 1 WTC would seem to fit the bill. Riguardi declined to comment other than to note that BoNY is looking at other locations as well.

But, what about two widely reported government “leases” at 1 WTC that have yet to be signed—the US General Services Administration and the New York State Offices of General Services for a total 1 million square feet?

With Condé Nast apparently headed for a deal and two great banks kicking the tires, you can’t help ask why the world’s most important new office building should devote 40 percent of its space to government agencies.

A GSA lease might make sense. But the OGS, which handles such crucial missions as providing parking for employees of a nearbroke Albany?

Big changes have come to 950 Third Ave., the gleaming, 32-story office building at the southwest corner of East 57th Street that’s always seemed inscrutable behind its mirrored-glass façade — believed to be the first of its kind in the city

The 325,000 square-foot tower has quietly changed hands through an internal restructuring which gives full control to Naomi and Andre Altholz. They previously held an approximately 25 percent stake in the building long held by Kipp-Stawski, the well-respected partnership that bought the 1971-built property in 1978.
Turbosnail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 09:30 AM   #15620
Skyscrapers144
RISING HIGH

Likes (Received): 1023

Check out my Freedom Tower under construction model.

You should follow me on...
Twitter
Instagram
Tumblr
Skyscrapers144 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center