daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 6th, 2010, 09:43 PM   #15901
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by waddler View Post
Well...Isn't New York mostly about mixed people and, of course, mixed ideas and feelings? I, for one, am not cryin' about new towers. I like the new design, and I think that whether it were for the twins to be rebuild or the Freedom tower, IMHO it looks or would've looked great anyway you take it Clearly this project is awesome, the towers, the huge fountains.. a true project and memorial in the same time that suits New York.

Of course some people are "cryin' " about new twins, especially the people that haven't got a chance to see the old ones. When I was small like 6 years old and I was watching different movies like.. Home Alone for instance, and when I saw the towers I think you can guess what my biggest dream was in that moment, and from then on Till shit happened and I realized I'll never be able to see them cause the towers are gone. So cut us some slack! I seriously understand what this complex means to the city, and I share this feeling. But you too have to understand what the Twins meant to people before, which was probably equally important. Cheers
I agree with you 10000000000%.. I'm in that group of people too...And I would give anything to see them but this is just not goin' to happen..And people don't understand that this what is being built right now is better than old twins..Yes, they were great and amazing, but this is even more great...So I don't know why people bashing the height and design of the new tower one and why they think that this is just some ordinary building which is "replacement" for old twins..And every few pages in this thread someone wants to rebuild the twins..It's really annoying already..We all want them back and there are threads to talk about that...This one is about the new wtc..
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2010, 04:21 AM   #15902
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1032

Those renderings with an extra "Freedom Tower" thrown in look like absolute shit. How can you people think that putting a second tower right on the graves of 3000 people is a good idea?
Old September 7th, 2010, 04:46 AM   #15903
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

What would really i think "make it better" for a lot of people, is roof height 1776 feet, and 2 of them, one with the spire. It isn't going to happen, it can't, the remaining area is too small to build a twin, it wouldn't look right at ground level either really, just in the skyline.

I am just happy they are above street level and other buildings are commencing. For the longest time that whole area was just a big hole in the ground, now it's a full on 100% construction site.

- A
Old September 7th, 2010, 06:14 AM   #15904
RandomNameTag
Skyscraper fan

Likes (Received): 22

Hard to believe it's been almost a decade now. Time really flies after you hit puberty (I was 13 when the towers were attacked).
RandomNameTag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 06:27 AM   #15905
ThatDarnSacramentan
The Punk With the Camera

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomNameTag View Post
Hard to believe it's been almost a decade now. Time really flies after you hit puberty (I was 13 when the towers were attacked).
Imagine what it was like for an eight year old, like me. I had no clue what the hell was going on. I never even saw footage of it until I was twelve, yet I still remember that day vividly.
Old September 7th, 2010, 07:35 AM   #15906
waddler
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Same, I was an 8 year old when it happened and I heard the older students talking about it in school, but I had no idea about it.

Zaz965 liked this post
waddler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 07:36 AM   #15907
spiller9

Likes (Received): 10

It has gone quickly indeed. Over the years 9/11 has gone from "the global event that happened 2 or 3 years ago" to something that happened almost a decade ago...it is firmly etched into history and is definately no longer part of the present (which it seemed to be not that long ago). It will be something that my children (that dont yet exist) curiously ask me about in the years to come (much the same with me as a child in regards to WW2).

Still, we dont forget.
spiller9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 07:39 AM   #15908
Fyturis

Likes (Received): 1175

Nice pic with all that glass!

I used to be crustacean, In an underwater nation

And I surf in celebration, Of a billion adaptations
Fyturis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #15909
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by waddler View Post
Same, I was an 8 year old when it happened and I heard the older students talking about it in school, but I had no idea about it.
I was 9...I still remember the moment when friend of mine told us that some plain crashed into the building..We were at playground..When I came home it was on all tv channels...I was watchin' CNN then...
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 12:20 PM   #15910
burnside

Likes (Received): 2

I see we're back to the aesthetics of the tower again.

When I consider how well it meets the existing skyline, how the materials echo many of the surrounding towers, how well it sets off and complements Battery Park City, what it will look like from other buildings in the area, the way it plays off against the memorial fountains and plaza, and how well it integrates with street and below-street functions, I think it's very well done indeed.

If there's an aspect I'm still somewhat ambivalent about, that would be the slight strangeness of the spire and its various elements. But even the Empire State got fussed about with for awhile until some satisfying way to 'finish' it was worked out.

Very handsome building.
burnside no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 01:29 PM   #15911
Eastern37
Optimist

Likes (Received): 3047

I was only 5 when this happened so I can't remember it at all, but i do remember watching it some years after....
Eastern37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 02:38 PM   #15912
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2623

Wow, you people are really young.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 02:56 PM   #15913
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

yeah, now i feel old lol (i'm 26 btw so i remember the day).

World Have Your Say

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old September 7th, 2010, 06:34 PM   #15914
wnweber

Likes (Received): 0

wnweber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #15915
Bart_LCY
Arae et foci

Likes (Received): 816

For God's sake, smaller pictures please!
Old September 7th, 2010, 07:01 PM   #15916
RandomNameTag
Skyscraper fan

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
Imagine what it was like for an eight year old, like me. I had no clue what the hell was going on. I never even saw footage of it until I was twelve, yet I still remember that day vividly.
It's a good thing I was older. Still, it was a shocking way to end my childhood. Up until that day, I had always thought that the US was the most powerful force in the world, impervious to any foriegn attack. I was wrong. I know now that we are actually quite vulnerable.
RandomNameTag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #15917
Turbosnail

Likes (Received): 266

wnweber, do the right thing man and take those pics down, they take too long to load, they need resizing.
Turbosnail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 08:04 PM   #15918
TXSkyWatcher

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbosnail View Post
wnweber, do the right thing man and take those pics down, they take too long to load, they need resizing.
I second that one....hate it when folks do this, does no good to have to scroll all over creation to see the details....c'mon man!
TXSkyWatcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #15919
Littlemob

Likes (Received): 7

they are installing trident now!!! (lot's of journalist on memorial pool edge.)
Littlemob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #15920
mindgoessnap

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSkyWatcher View Post
I second that one....hate it when folks do this, does no good to have to scroll all over creation to see the details....c'mon man!
Sad to say, as much as I love hi-res pics to death, I was viewing them on a 2560x1600 monitor and it still wasn't big enough to handle the pics. They don't make single monitors with a higher resolution than that, so I figure those pics are just too big. Nice shots, though!
mindgoessnap no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center