daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 25th, 2010, 04:35 PM   #16421
percy07
Shallow & Pedantic

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
DinoVabec you know why
If I may ask, is there any significance to those numbers? Is it because 7 WTC is 52 floors high, or would they have met at that height anyway?

In other words, have they deliberately picked 52 and 82 for some subtle reference, or just purely structural/design factors?
percy07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2010, 04:59 PM   #16422
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK999 View Post
i made this list a couple of months ago and update it every ~20 days or so. btw thanks for keeping this thread on track with pics and / or explaining construction stuff to others.
It helps me to learn and undertand construction of this tower..So it's win-win sitation...
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 05:00 PM   #16423
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by percy07 View Post
If I may ask, is there any significance to those numbers? Is it because 7 WTC is 52 floors high, or would they have met at that height anyway?

In other words, have they deliberately picked 52 and 82 for some subtle reference, or just purely structural/design factors?
Naaaah, nothing special, it's just pure coincidance...
Old September 25th, 2010, 08:03 PM   #16424
bugstone

Likes (Received): 12

Top floor has begun again. It is well underway.

http://rebuildgroundzero.org/webcam/...?1251730626102

Bugs
bugstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 10:13 PM   #16425
leoracademico
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugstone View Post
Top floor has begun again. It is well underway.

http://rebuildgroundzero.org/webcam/...?1251730626102

Bugs

wow, it reached the barclay vesey's height!
leoracademico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 02:01 AM   #16426
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by percy07 View Post

It's just the column spacing and the geometry of the building.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 03:08 AM   #16427
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoracademico View Post
wow, it reached the barclay vesey's height!
Almost..4 more floors and then it's taller than Barclay..
Old September 26th, 2010, 03:14 AM   #16428
DinoVabec
Worldwide

September 25th, GreenwichBoy, WNY..

Old September 26th, 2010, 03:25 AM   #16429
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Saturday construction

Although I don't like and am unimpressed by what they are building at ground zero (except maybe the transportation hub which does look cool) I to go there about once a month to check it out.

I went there today and was surprised at the amount of construction activity for a Saturday. There was lots of welding and iron work going on all over the building, the top crane(s?) were in action and in particular, there were some interesting goings on at the north east corner of the building. I had my Iphone so I took some pics:

image hosted on flickr

IMG_1951 by 600West218, on Flickr

In the picture above you can see the gaps between the beams are obviously large and not ready for cladding. However, on the big red beams notice the lateral steel beams - those are where they began playing beams between the vertical beams today.

image hosted on flickr

IMG_1952 by 600West218, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_1961 by 600West218, on Flickr

Ok, in that picture you can see a horizontal beam being placed with the person in the basket fastening it while the crane hold it in place.

Also, on the ground are some interesting hollow beams. The were full of holes and not terribly heavy (two construction workers could move them around and flip them over, if not lift them outright). They were being worked on and were assembled into a panel that you'll see in a later picture.

image hosted on flickr

IMG_1962 by 600West218, on Flickr

Note that behind where the men are working on the beams you see some flat dark panels. They would later be fastened to the beams.

image hosted on flickr

IMG_1967 by 600West218, on Flickr

Much to my surprise the big crane on top was in action and I saw it lifting this large section of three decks that are used to bring in materials on upper floors.

image hosted on flickr

IMG_1968 by 600West218, on Flickr

Ok, now you see the panel made of the beams and the flat dark panel. This would be erected where the cross beam was installed.

image hosted on flickr

IMG_1969 by 600West218, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_1970 by 600West218, on Flickr

What they had done here was simply lift it up and flip it over to work on the other side.

image hosted on flickr

IMG_1975 by 600West218, on Flickr

Here they had installed the above piece (upside down and facing away from the camera). They are now installing a similar piece on top. When slid down unto the first one it covered that corner of the building. So it would look like this may be the first build out of the exterior.

image hosted on flickr

IMG_1976 by 600West218, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_1977 by 600West218, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_1978 by 600West218, on Flickr

Unfortunately I apparently didn't take a picture with this section completely slid down to form one unit but they had done that by the time I left.

Last edited by 600West218; September 26th, 2010 at 03:32 AM. Reason: add pictures
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 03:34 AM   #16430
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1032

I think you'll be plenty impressed by what they're building when it's done. Most of the renders are goofy as hell.

By the way, the pieces they were installing in your pics are forms for concrete pouring and will eventually be removed. You can see the result in this picture, where they have just finished pouring the corner opposite the one you were photographing today.

http://archives.earthcam.com/archive...gzrobotic1.jpg

Last edited by Uaarkson; September 26th, 2010 at 03:46 AM.
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 03:37 AM   #16431
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

I think this building should be nicknamed Fort Knox II
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 03:46 AM   #16432
boschb
boschb

Likes (Received): 31

lokks like the construction workers in Manhattan aren't partying anytime soon
boschb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 03:48 AM   #16433
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
Although I don't like and am unimpressed by what they are building at ground zero (except maybe the transportation hub which does look cool) I to go there about once a month to check it out.

I went there today and was surprised at the amount of construction activity for a Saturday. There was lots of welding and iron work going on all over the building, the top crane(s?) were in action and in particular, there were some interesting goings on at the north east corner of the building. I had my Iphone so I took some pics:

In the picture above you can see the gaps between the beams are obviously large and not ready for cladding. However, on the big red beams notice the lateral steel beams - those are where they began playing beams between the vertical beams today.

Ok, in that picture you can see a horizontal beam being placed with the person in the basket fastening it while the crane hold it in place.

Also, on the ground are some interesting hollow beams. The were full of holes and not terribly heavy (two construction workers could move them around and flip them over, if not lift them outright). They were being worked on and were assembled into a panel that you'll see in a later picture.

Note that behind where the men are working on the beams you see some flat dark panels. They would later be fastened to the beams.

Much to my surprise the big crane on top was in action and I saw it lifting this large section of three decks that are used to bring in materials on upper floors.

Ok, now you see the panel made of the beams and the flat dark paneThis would be erected where the cross beam was installed.

What they had done here was simply lift it up and flip it over to work on the other side.

Here they had installed the above piece (upside down and facing away from the camera). They are now installing a similar piece on top. When slid down unto the first one it covered that corner of the building. So it would look like this may be the first build out of the exterior.

Unfortunately I apparently didn't take a picture with this section completely slid down to form one unit but they had done that by the time I left.
Thank you for those pics, but I have to correct you...They were not installing horizontal beams for cladding...This is form for the concrete...This "broken corner" is going to be all in concrete...From ground to top of the lobby...Steel beams are there because this form has to be incredible strong...They just finished one just south from this one you photographed...
Old September 26th, 2010, 04:00 AM   #16434
600West218

"By the way, the pieces they were installing in your pics are forms for concrete pouring and will eventually be removed. You can see the result in this picture, where they have just finished pouring the corner opposite the one you were photographing today."

Yes, you guys are correct. I just saw it in the other pictures. Thanks for pointing that out.

It isn't the renders that turn me off to these buildings. They are just too small and don't live up to what they are replacing. Before we had two imposing 1,350 foot tall buildings and now we will just have one, and much skinnier too. If every building in the new complex was about 150 feet taller and with more girth they would be fine (though there is something to be said for having twins) and I wouldn't complain. But they are just too small. Even when these are completed the New York skyline will have been taken down a notch from how it was with the Twin Towers. At least that is my opinion.
Old September 26th, 2010, 04:05 AM   #16435
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
"By the way, the pieces they were installing in your pics are forms for concrete pouring and will eventually be removed. You can see the result in this picture, where they have just finished pouring the corner opposite the one you were photographing today."

Yes, you guys are correct. I just saw it in the other pictures. Thanks for pointing that out.

It isn't the renders that turn me off to these buildings. They are just too small and don't live up to what they are replacing. Before we had two imposing 1,350 foot tall buildings and now we will just have one, and much skinnier too. If every building in the new complex was about 150 feet taller and with more girth they would be fine (though there is something to be said for having twins) and I wouldn't complain. But they are just too small. Even when these are completed the New York skyline will have been taken down a notch from how it was with the Twin Towers. At least that is my opinion.
They wanted to be like that...If they wanted to build something as big as twins, they would rebuild them...But those buildings are memorial for twins...To remind what happend...They were not designed to be taller and bigger...Because twins were only one in history...And that's how is gonna stay...Nothing is gonna replace them...
Old September 26th, 2010, 04:20 AM   #16436
600West218

"They wanted to be like that...If they wanted to build something as big as twins, they would rebuild them...But those buildings are memorial for twins...To remind what happend...They were not designed to be taller and bigger...Because twins were only one in history...And that's how is gonna stay...Nothing is gonna replace them..."

Ok, that is one take on it and it is a legitimate one.

My view though is that if someone knocks down two of your buildings you build something bigger and better in their place.

Anyways, it is all academic now. They are building what they are building and I am glad to see an active construction site rather than a hole in the ground.
Old September 26th, 2010, 04:30 AM   #16437
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

600West218, I greatly appreciate your time trouble and effort to take pics and then post them on this forum, however, I think, in the future, you should leave the interpretation of what the pics show to the experts. (Namely me, a Structural engineer with a full set of prints at his disposal.)

All that yellow steel is form work for the protection walls that well be filling the spaces between the columns at the lobby level.

I should call Mike tomorrow and congratulate him on getting more equipment onsite. (Mike is the owner of Independent Areal Equipment, and a personal friend. )

I think I should wait tell Monday before I call Mike.

PS: The "third crane" was lifting a crane deck into place. Crane decks are used to bring material up to floors of a building too heavy to bring up in the construction hoists.

Last edited by Zensteeldude; September 26th, 2010 at 04:46 AM.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 04:44 AM   #16438
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1032

Four supertalls in a row is going to make a hell of a difference on the skyline. For the record, 1WTC is skinnier than the Twins by a matter of feet.
Old September 26th, 2010, 05:53 AM   #16439
NgelM
Two camels in a tiny car

Likes (Received): 66

Great update! love the way is growing like a crazy building..
"Valencia es infinita" Daniel De Sousa
NgelM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2010, 06:25 AM   #16440
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoVabec View Post
Thank you for those pics, but I have to correct you...They were not installing horizontal beams for cladding...This is form for the concrete...This "broken corner" is going to be all in concrete...From ground to top of the lobby...Steel beams are there because this form has to be incredible strong...They just finished one just south from this one you photographed...
They installed these forms on the southeast corner way back around May 10th (see page 713). At that rate they won't finish the other three corners until around November 2011.
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center