daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 4th, 2010, 07:39 AM   #16601
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin S View Post
I don't think anyone should come on this thread and simply call the building 'ugly' without at least trying to explain why they hold that view. I don't accept though that this building should be beyond criticism simply because of what it represents. Personally, I believe that one of the most bizarre buildings ever constructed is the Abraj Al - Bait, which towers over the holy site at Mecca - but quite a few of the Saudi forummers react to any criticism as if Allah had designed it himself.

Possibly one thing that outsiders like myself don't appreciate about 1WTC is that New York has never been a city for fancy shaped buildings. The design of skyscrapers has always been influenced by the need to maximise floor space and the best way of doing that is the four square prismatic tower. The elegant forms of the Chrysler and Empire State Buildings were a product of the zoning regulations that came in after some of the excesses of early skyscraper design.

From that point of view, the tapering profile of 1WTC, which reduces the available floor space, is a real departure for major buildings in NYC. I could't imagine New York ever going in for some of the fancy shaped buildings that London is constructing and I for one am quite happy about that.
I think the composition taken as a whole, when all towers are completed, is going to be amazing. Like you say, very "un New York" like.

Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2010, 10:27 AM   #16602
pimvdh

Likes (Received): 1

all the last pictures are from a nice angles. It really showes the massive inpact the building has there.

youtube poop
^^Want to laugh your brains out?
pimvdh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #16603
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedoPro View Post
will the steel columns get any fireproofing spray? the new kind that has concrete mixed in it like in 7wtc?
Sure they will..Don't forget it's the safest tower in the world..
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #16604
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
This is one of my favorites. It was written by Karl Koch III (of Koch Construction), the steel erectors who built the original WTC. Very informative.

http://www.amazon.com/Men-Steel-Stor...6148192&sr=1-2
Thanks man..
Old October 4th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #16605
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

If you think this tower or the site as a whole is "un-new york" you need to do a little more research.
Old October 4th, 2010, 01:37 PM   #16606
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2617

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
If you think this tower or the site as a whole is "un-new york" you need to do a little more research.
Especially since his post is implying that the new WTC towers are the first non-boxy designs in NYC.
droneriot está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #16607
FlyFish

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamobster21 View Post
You need to evaluate that statement, and realize the gravity of it. This marvel of a building is actually really well designed, is aesthetically pleasing, and is a beacon of hope and resolve for and of the American people.

So watch your tongue.

So, we aren't allowed to think it's ugly because it is somehow a beacon of hope and resolve? What does that even mean? What about us Americans who feel that the memorial itself will be the lasting symbol of what happened that day and the replacement towers will be....well...replacement towers? No one needs to watch their tongue and no one here needs to think they are the thought police for that piece of ground or the buildings that are built there. We all know what happened that day. Saying that the replacement building doesn't fit your eye is not somehow a slap at New York, or the memory of 9-11 or anything. It's an opinion, nothing more.

It's ugly, I'll say it too. It's very appealing and very nice right up to the roof line, then it jumps the shark. They've taken a beautiful design and topped it with a flying saucer and hypodermic needle. The top doesn't fit the rest of the building. IMO, they should just stop at the roof and they'll have a beautiful building. Or, if there is something magical about having your TV and radio broadcast platform at that height then put an attractive spire on it. The design the way it is......................is ugly.

Last edited by FlyFish; October 4th, 2010 at 03:42 PM.
FlyFish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #16608
DinoVabec
Worldwide

You're actually right...People should be able to say what they think..If it's ugly to you, then you should be able to say that..It's ok..

To be honest, I'm actually bored of comments like "oh it's beautiful"..

It's interesting to read whay people don't like this design...

Although I like it..Actualy love it..
Old October 4th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #16609
nolimit

Likes (Received): 5

People don't like it because the design is simply nothing to shout about ! There are dozens of better looking building out there !
nolimit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 04:09 PM   #16610
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFish View Post
topped it with a flying saucer and hypodermic needle.
Actually, what it most looks like is a Maypole (Maibaum), a pagan tradition in central Europe.
Old October 4th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #16611
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimit View Post
People don't like it because the design is simply nothing to shout about ! There are dozens of "flashier" buildings out there !

There, fixed it for you.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 05:23 PM   #16612
Gendo

Likes (Received): 77

If you think it's ugly, and want to say so here, the rest of us should respect your opinion.

I don't think it's going to be a Dubai flashy structure, but it'll fit in well with the surrounding buildings.

Personally, I think Sir Foster's 2WTC will be the best looking design of these new WTC towers.
Gendo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 06:10 PM   #16613

Likes (Received): 1110

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedoPro View Post
will the steel columns get any fireproofing spray? the new kind that has concrete mixed in it like in 7wtc?
hopefully they also add some "controlled demolition proofing spray"
009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 06:36 PM   #16614
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Why use spray when you can just wrap your tinfoil hat around it?
Old October 4th, 2010, 07:45 PM   #16615
Littlemob

Likes (Received): 7

hoped to see some cladding. the video said that it would start today. same a truck in the morning with what appeared to be cladding.
Littlemob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #16616
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Quote:
People don't like it because the design is simply nothing to shout about ! There are dozens of better looking building out there !
Yes, I have to agree..There are some buildings that look better..But those buildings are towers for themselfs..Nothing more...Here, this building is in design with other buildings..And that's why is so beautiful and great...

Just what my man Gendo wrote here..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gendo View Post
If you think it's ugly, and want to say so here, the rest of us should respect your opinion.

I don't think it's going to be a Dubai flashy structure, but it'll fit in well with the surrounding buildings.

Personally, I think Sir Foster's 2WTC will be the best looking design of these new WTC towers.
Old October 4th, 2010, 08:49 PM   #16617
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

There's a lot of people who are going to think its ugly and in someway it is. but its not the crazy design in the city. How could it be un-new york when its in new york.
Old October 4th, 2010, 09:25 PM   #16618
FastFerrari
I double dog dare you!!!

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
There's a lot of people who are going to think its ugly and in someway it is. but its not the crazy design in the city. How could it be un-new york when its in new york.
Dont listen to those folk...they CCCCRRRRRAAAAAZZZZZZYYYYYYY
Old October 4th, 2010, 11:17 PM   #16619
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

The RBZ cam is back up. Looks like steel around the core was installed. That's floors 41 and 42. That makes 1WTC about 485 feet high.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 11:25 PM   #16620
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:

I think what people misunderstand about this building is that it is somehow in the same category as buildings in dubai, Qatar, or any of those cities with really weird looking buildings. Fact is this building is supposed to be reminiscent of 2 really boxy buildings. It isn't going to be some building shaped like a snake curling around a pole or anything. It is gonna be a building that encapsulates what used to be there, and also blends in with the surrounding buildings to a degree, this building is going to TRUMP everything around it, why make it so unordinary that it practically insults the historic buildings around it? Another thing, this is New York space doesn't come cheap, they need a building that is space efficient, and facts are, a building that looks like the Shanghai Tower is not going to be space efficient, especially not when they want to roof to be a certain height. All these buildings are boxy for a reason, because that is what New York is, it is a city of buildings that have faces parallel with their blocks, a city where space is of the essence. This building in my opinion is beautiful in a simple way. Like the empire state building, it isn't a very ornate building, but it is still beautiful, just as this building will be. It compliments the buildings around it, but also makes a statement for itself, and I think that's what the goal was and that's what the goal should've been.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center