daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 8th, 2010, 03:25 AM   #16681
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

And some fresh stuff from JBoston, Skyscraperpage, October 6th..

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2010, 03:59 AM   #16682
hellrazor650

Likes (Received): 10

those pics at night are great, because the whole interior of the building and the frame work is so contrasted to the light, showing its skeleton
hellrazor650 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 04:10 AM   #16683
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

This is going to be AMAZING!!!!
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 05:38 AM   #16684
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

I have a question.

How much is/was the space burden on other sites once the first two towers were destroyed?
Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 06:20 AM   #16685
Pablobegood

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoVabec View Post
New pics from wtc.com
Are those two side by side columns at the bottom center (wrapped in white cloth whit the USA flag) belonging to the twins towers?
Pablobegood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 06:25 AM   #16686
bennyboo

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablobegood View Post
Are those two side by side columns at the bottom center (wrapped in white cloth whit the USA flag) belonging to the twins towers?
yep from the looks of it
bennyboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 06:53 AM   #16687
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

Wow, the memorial is really coming along fast.

Also, the more i see this building from NJ the more i see it's going to dwarf everything around it.

- A
Old October 8th, 2010, 07:50 AM   #16688
NYCD

Likes (Received): 1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveNYC View Post
I was just wondering... are you the same guy called "NYCLuver" in Skyscraperpage.com???
And what about you... DinoVabec??? You and "NYguy" from SSC are very active all time... and have similar posts...

Sorry for going off-topic, but i'm so curious...

Yep, that's me.
NYCD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 02:34 PM   #16689
FlyFish

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan View Post
Wow, the memorial is really coming along fast.

- A
LMAO at the word "fast". It's been nine years already.

I know what you mean though. It is coming fast now that they've actually started workinig on it. It just struck me funny when I read your post.

FlyFish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 05:14 PM   #16690
coldhill

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablobegood View Post
YEP,they are the two columns reserved from the two twins towers which will
erect in the memorial center building
coldhill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 05:47 PM   #16691
woodystill

Likes (Received): 1

Are most of the weight of this tower supported by the outer steel columns or the inner core?
woodystill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #16692
westmc9th
NYC=Amazing

Likes (Received): 6

small update from lower manhattan.info

1 WTC is now up to the 40th floor and may top out by 9/11/11

The three remaining sites that will fill out the World Trade Center’s (WTC) 16 acres are now in the first phase of construction. The two towers, 2 and 3 WTC, and the Transportation Hub between them, are now active work zones -- their footings being carved out from the lowest elevation to stand on the bedrock of Lower Manhattan.

Ward began with a progress report on his agency’s projects. At 1 WTC, formerly known as the Freedom Tower, the steel frame is at the 40th floor -- nearly up to half of it’s total height of 104 stories. Ward said that crews from Tishman Construction are erecting about one floor per week, and that the iconic tower should be up to the 90th floor -- if not topped out -- by the 2011 anniversary of 9/11.

Cladding of 1 WTC’s lower floors is planned to begin by late next month, and will rise with the building as new stories are built. Already the tower’s cranes can be seen on the downtown skyline, with the structure itself likely to be visible from around the region in early 2011.

Ward recapped the multiple construction milestones at the National 9/11 Memorial, where new trees and several large artifacts were installed last month. The steel of its entry pavilion is now rising, and the giant reflecting pools that mark the twin towers’ footprints are nearing completion. Approximately 700,000 square feet of sub-grade Memorial space also is built out.

Silverstein, meanwhile, is now focused on erecting its three new skyscrapers on the east side of the WTC site. At 4 WTC, steel is up the eighth floor with more being installed daily. The tower’s fireproofing is also underway, along with masonry that includes installation of black granite panels in the Greenwich Street–facing lobby, to serve as a tribute to the granite that lines the Memorial pools.

Janno Lieber, Silverstein’s president of WTC development, said that Tower 4 is on track for a late 2013 opening. He then explained that at 2 and 3 WTC, excavation for tower footings -- which form the very deepest structural anchors of the skyscrapers -- is nearly complete and the buildings’ cores will start to rise over the coming weeks. He said his firm intends to build each of the towers to their full heights, an effort to be aided by visible construction progress that will encourage potential tenants to sign leases.

“Tower 2 is meant to be at grade in the beginning of 2012
,” said Lieber. “Tower 3 we’re fully expecting to complete that as a tower, and that will be end of 2014 or right at the beginning 2015, [but the goal is for] continuous construction.”

Between the two towers, Santiago Calatrava’s iconic Transportation Hub also is in foundation construction. Port Authority crews are forming its footings that will eventually hold the giant beams that will allow the future hub its wide-open interior. The main section of the Hub, where the “oculus” will draw in natural light, will by early 2014 tie into the MTA’s new pedestrian concourse to the east, as well as the new western concourse that will connect through the WTC to Battery Park City.

Both Ward and Lieber emphasized that the new WTC structures are all being built with considerations about their construction materials, energy efficiency, and locations as key factors in their environmental sustainability.

“The vision is that we’re building a one-of-a-kind, mixed-used community,” said Lieber. “A place where a lot of people are going to walk or take mass transit to work in first-class, ‘green’ office buildings. They will have access to the waterfront, which is somewhat new to New York City for a residential and mixed-used community. It’s just a very special place that we hope will be an urban model for the country maybe even for the world.”
Old October 8th, 2010, 10:53 PM   #16693
Nomadd22

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodystill View Post
Are most of the weight of this tower supported by the outer steel columns or the inner core?
The inner core supports itself and it's the heaviest part of the building, plus the core supports about 40% of the floor weight.
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 11:44 PM   #16694
RobertWalpole
BANNED

What a magnificent facade this will be!!!

World Trade Center Redevelopment
Sneak Preview of the World Trade Center's New Face

The steel has risen up to the 42nd floor of 1 World Trade Center, which means it's time for our future tallest tower to start putting on its face! The glass and metal facade is en route from Portland, Oregon, and Owaponna, Minnesota, and should start going up on the building next month. The Port Authority released the above photos of a huge piece of corner facade that will cover a corner between floors 20-24. Cool, right? See more on the WTC Progress site. Need a reminder about what the building formerly known as the Freedom Tower will look like when finished? Here's a facade refresher.

Including the building's outdoor plaza. >>

www.curbed.com
Old October 9th, 2010, 12:14 AM   #16695
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5171

The renders of this building didn't do it enough justice. The stainless steel is going to look awesome! I can't wait to see the first pieces installed.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 12:40 AM   #16696
RobertWalpole
BANNED

I agree with you. 400m+ of this magnificent, jewel-like facade will be amazing.
Old October 9th, 2010, 01:02 AM   #16697
Jex7844
La Défenseholic

Likes (Received): 2916

1WTC was firmly criticized a few years ago as most americans (among others) wanted the Twin Towers to get rebuilt higher, stronger, better, I do remember Donald Trump as well bashing 1WTC on TV shows, my question actually is: to date, is this controversy over for good or are there still criticisms in the US news?

PS: at the time I would have liked to see the iconic Twin Towers stand again proudly in the NY's sky but I've never disliked 1WTC either and I now think that the current project was the right decision to make. Once completed the whole development's gonna look fantastic.

Last edited by Jex7844; October 9th, 2010 at 01:09 AM.
Jex7844 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 01:51 AM   #16698
Towards The Sun
and beyond....

Likes (Received): 2

1WTC will certainly surpass the Twin Towers aesthetically. And there will be 4 unique towers rather than two identical towers. I don't see what's not to like about that.
Towards The Sun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 02:30 AM   #16699
dark_shadow1
arctic tern

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towards The Sun View Post
I don't see what's not to like about that.
People don't like changes- the Eiffel Tower received a lot of criticism when it was built.
dark_shadow1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 04:28 AM   #16700
ExclusiveOne

Likes (Received): 0

I'm afraid I won't be able to see this from out the window.

Are those footprint fountains where the original twin towers stood? I used to be able to see both of them in a space between 2 buildings, although I could only see half of one and I can't remember which one, if it was the North Tower then the chances of me being able to see the Freedom Tower are kinda slim.
ExclusiveOne no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center