daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 16th, 2010, 03:04 PM   #16881
westmc9th
NYC=Amazing

Likes (Received): 6

4 New Webcams!
ok guys this is amazing 4 new webcams or daily pics of the tower are on the discovery channel

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/the-risi...-pictures.html

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/the-risi...ctures-02.html

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/the-risi...ctures-03.html

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/the-risi...ctures-04.html

Last edited by westmc9th; October 16th, 2010 at 04:15 PM.
westmc9th no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2010, 04:15 PM   #16882
westmc9th
NYC=Amazing

Likes (Received): 6

updates have been going on every other week

Chasing Concrete
10/15/2010

Chasing-cement-concrete-boots This week, we are following the concrete team as they lay solid ground on the 36th floor of Tower One. Over one hundred truckloads of concrete make their way to the tower each week, creating the stairs, the walls and the floors of this immense building. The concrete is usually between 5 and 10 floors behind the Steel, which at the moment is topping out at floor 42. Given that the building is going to be 104 floors and approximately 1400 feet, the steel and concrete teams are both nearing their halfway points, but they still have a long way to go.

We started the day at a dark and painfully early 5:15am in Red Hook, Brooklyn at the plant of Eastern Concrete. Here the concrete is mixed to exactly the right consistency and loaded into trucks to be taken to 1 World Trade Center. It’s like chemistry. Too much water and the concrete becomes too weak. Too much sand and dry materials and the concrete is unworkable. This fine balance rests on the shoulders of one man called Craig, in charge of monitoring the mix as it gets loaded into the trucks.

As soon as the trucks are loaded here in Red Hook, they have exactly 90 minutes to get the concrete to the site, have it pumped up 36 floors of the building (nearly 500 feet up in the air), and finally laid down by the crews on the virgin steel floor. There is a very good reason for the time limit: Wet concrete sets into dry concrete, and a truck full of dry concrete is about as much use to anyone as a sword made out of jello. One morning of bad traffic could mean some very angry faces and a lot of money down the drain.

But there’s no drama on this early morning. It’s too early for traffic. Two hours from now, the drivers will really be up against it. But with barely a sign of pink in the sky, we hop a ride in our concrete truck through the traffic-free battery tunnel and to the World Trade Center site.

At the gate just outside of Tower 1 we meet Bobby Bozza. Bobby is the Logistics Manager for the gate and manages hundreds of deliveries each week; over 1200 deliveries a month. Not just concrete either – he has to shuffle deliveries of steel, glass, concrete, electric, cranes, porta potties, you name it, into and out of the two narrow gates that flank the tower. Bobby gets up at 2am every morning, heads into work for 5am and leaves the site at 4.30pm, getting home at 7pm. Then he does it all over again, and again, and again, until at some point he has a day off (he last took a day off over the weekend after 30 days straight on the job). If there is one thing I have learned about the construction industry in general, it is that they don’t often get a good night’s sleep. I thought we worked hard, but these guys put us to shame.

We then headed up to the 36th floor to watch the guys pour the concrete. The process looks like madness, but there’s a method to it that requires serious skill. Twenty-five guys crowd around the pipe in yellow galoshes while the concrete spurts out of the long tube. They quickly spread it, check its depth, and then one guy (kitted out with a gas powered machine on his back that looks a bit like the jet pack in Back to the Future) vibrates the air bubbles out of concrete. The floor is smoothed out and then a loud "1,2,3," and they hoist the pipe and move onto the next section. It will take them until 2.30pm in the afternoon — approximately 7 hours — to complete one whole floor.

On this project especially, everything has to go right. Computer sensors are built into the walls and the floor to check that the concrete is the right strength. If for some reason it isn’t, what happens next is something everyone wants to avoid: The slow chipping away of the set concrete, and the painful realization that you have to start all over again.

On such a complicated construction site a delay in any trade has a domino effect, rippling down to each and every trade that comes afterwards. If this pour goes wrong it will set everything back an entire week. The concrete core of the building will be delayed, the following week’s pours will be cancelled, and some very unhappy project managers will adjust their schedules to show that Tower One will be finished one week later in 2013.

It's a reminder for us all that this project is different. Every day is high stakes day and so much rides on even the most routine concrete pour.

http://blogs.discovery.com/rebuilding-ground-zero/

A massive effort is currently under way to reshape ground zero into an expansive 16-acre complex the likes of which has never been seen before. To document this historic effort, Discovery Channel is on the ground alongside the men and women who are making this vision a reality until the nationally televised unveiling of the new ground zero with President Barack Obama on Sept. 11, 2011.
Old October 16th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #16883
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoVabec View Post
Right now...

Can't believe what they did with RGZ again...
I like that angle. Now we can see all of 4WTC. I'm sure they'll move it back and forth. No one has any right to complain, after all your not paying for it.
spectre000 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #16884
quanghuynhchung
CENTRAL - Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 8

loving the tower ^_^
quanghuynhchung no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 08:57 PM   #16885
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

By GreenwichBoy, WNY, 10-16-10. No new steel yet.

spectre000 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #16886
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
I like that angle. Now we can see all of 4WTC.
I second that.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #16887
Glidescube

Likes (Received): 32

It's higher than the verizon building!!
Glidescube no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2010, 09:52 PM   #16888
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glidescube View Post
It's higher than the verizon building!!
Scaffolding yes, tower not..
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 12:23 AM   #16889
econ_tim

Likes (Received): 100

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
econ_tim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 01:45 AM   #16890
Rubba

Likes (Received): 0

This building is looking more and more impressive! Can't wait till it breaks the plane of the surrounding skyscrapers...next year should be exciting
Rubba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 02:05 AM   #16891
Athinaios
3D geo-modeler

Likes (Received): 136

It looks already awesome, but it's just a little bit more than 1/3 to target height (I mean the height to the roof) :

One World Trade Center in Google Earth
Athinaios no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 03:26 AM   #16892
deepblue01

Likes (Received): 66

Cool, for a moment, this pic looked like the Shanghai world finance centre
deepblue01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 03:34 AM   #16893
DinoVabec
Worldwide

October 16th, GreenwichBoy, WNY..

Old October 17th, 2010, 04:29 AM   #16894
Sy
Bada Bing!

Likes (Received): 153

This should be great when finished.
Sy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 08:09 AM   #16895
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
..this was photoshopped, right. ESB looks way too close, even if using a telephoto lens.
I know some others have replied to this, but i'm going to as well.

I've ridden the ferry numerous times and been in the city hundreds of times in the last 10 years. The ESB is visible from all over the place, including parts of the route the ferry takes.

Photoshop can do crazy things, but you know what, try commenting about things you know about vs speculation, just a friendly suggestion.

Edit: Also notice BoA building, located right on 6th ave and 42nd, it is 1 block west and 8 blocks up from ESB which is 5th and 34th. The buildings are huge, they are going to tend to loom over the city from many vantage points. You can see times square's towers & esb way far away in NJ and long island and even up crossing the tappan zee bridge.

- A

Last edited by metsfan; October 17th, 2010 at 08:20 AM.
metsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 10:11 AM   #16896
micrip

Likes (Received): 1050

...actually I do have some background in photography. Something about it just looked a little "off" to me given the distance between Ground Zero and the ESB. I'm well aware of the fact that telephoto lens have the effect of compressing distance. He just had the perfect vantage point, I guess.
Old October 17th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #16897
ausie
BANNED

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SolidState] View Post
While Google earth might seem like a silly tool to use to compare distance relationships, I believe that the perspective capabilities of Google Earth raise questions regarding the photo's integrity.

image hosted on flickr

Google Earth Image

image hosted on flickr
the image is real see for yourself, sorry for the horrible quality, i couldn't zoom in with google earth keeping the same proportions.

ausie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2010, 12:58 PM   #16898
Method101

Likes (Received): 2

this is getting ridiculous
Old October 17th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #16899
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Method101 View Post
this is getting ridiculous
Seriously..
Old October 17th, 2010, 01:46 PM   #16900
OldWorldResident

Likes (Received): 9

Ooh nooo! Optics and perspectives, we all learned that in 7th grade!! If you missed it go back to school or visit some photography forum!

Dear moderators, it's time to clean up here !!

Thanks to econ_tin for those amazing pictures. I almost missed them due to all the off topic stuff.
OldWorldResident no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center