daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 05:00 AM   #17761
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 295

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Construction View Post
It's because mods/admins sometimes post invisible posts, which normal users can't see. So they count in the number of posts and pages but for the rest you don't see them, so that's why sometimes your on for example page 888 and you see 889 but can't enter it. And it also messes with the post numbers of the latest posts, so actually you are seeing everything just some not interesting moderator nonsense you don't see.
What a nasty bug (or design flaw) in vBulletin. I just clicked the "go to first new post" icon (the chevron) and it took me to page 889 with only two posts on it. I clicked page 888 and found five more new posts that I would have missed had I trusted the "go to first new post" link. Later, all seven new posts (and a few older ones) magically became part of page 889. And now this post, and Zen's before it, are the only ones that show up on 889.
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2010, 07:37 AM   #17762
Glidescube

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about. You should stick to soccer and leave engineering to us engineers.
what is wrong with what he said?
Glidescube no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 10:34 AM   #17763
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

^The assertion that no modern buildings use perimeter columns is patently wrong.

Last edited by STR; November 22nd, 2010 at 10:55 AM.
STR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 11:25 AM   #17764
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glidescube View Post
what is wrong with what he said?
Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
^The assertion that no modern buildings use perimeter columns is patently wrong.
+ That would be like the core takes whole building on her self..Yes, the core is the stronest part of the building but it has some limits too..You have to bolt those beams commin' out of the core to something to take the weight of everything on that floor...It's seriously impossible even to imagine something like he said...
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 11:27 AM   #17765
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
What a nasty bug (or design flaw) in vBulletin. I just clicked the "go to first new post" icon (the chevron) and it took me to page 889 with only two posts on it. I clicked page 888 and found five more new posts that I would have missed had I trusted the "go to first new post" link. Later, all seven new posts (and a few older ones) magically became part of page 889. And now this post, and Zen's before it, are the only ones that show up on 889.
Yeah, that's badass..I reply to the post and then I see a couple of forumers already answered to it...It starting to be annoying..
Old November 22nd, 2010, 11:53 AM   #17766
DinoVabec
Worldwide

November 20th, VinSchiano2009

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old November 22nd, 2010, 12:18 PM   #17767
TowerPower
Ashld-biggest little city

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
I don't think that was what Zensteeldude was saying. He was merely pointing out that the majority of high-rises today feature curtain walls, which don't act as primary structure, and therefore are not limited by the perimeter column placement. While this is nothing new, it does affect how much daylight can get in (particularly the spacing and thickness of exterior columns). In the WTC, the exterior columns were the wall, and as a result, there density and thickness only allowed for narrow slot windows, in contrast to the vast majority of buildings built today. It may still be true that other high-rises built today function the same structurally as the old WTCs did, but I seriously doubt most feature such closely spaced perimeter columns.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 12:32 PM   #17768
illegal
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Last edited by illegal; October 12th, 2011 at 12:25 AM.
illegal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 03:09 PM   #17769
Martin S

Likes (Received): 3088

I'm sure that the perimeter columns of the 1WTC will play a greater role than in more conventional buildings as there is clearly quite a wide gap between them and the core columns. Modern office buildings are designed to have large column-free areas of floor space to maximise their freedom of layout.

In the case of the original WTC, both the internal core and the perimeter columns supported the vertical load of the tower (due to self-weight, furniture, people etc) whilst the perimeter columns would have taken wind loads by resisting tension on the windward face of the tower and compression on the leeward as the tower tried to bend away from the wind. The central core and the floors would act to preserve the shape of the building and so prevent the perimeter columns from buckling away from the loads applied to them. The central core would also fix one floor laterally with respect to the floors above and beneath it and so prevent the structure from swaying.

I don't know but I would guess that the triangular elevations of the 1WTC facade might also function to resist wind load.

It would be interesting to know
Martin S no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 03:13 PM   #17770
Ro.Bi.

Likes (Received): 1

Sorry for asking a probably stupid question but which company is doing the facade (production + installation)? AFAIK Viracon is supplying the glass but I couldn’t find out who does the facade itself. Any ideas guys?
Ro.Bi. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 03:15 PM   #17771
Martin S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
Thought Flatron Building is NYC's first and oldest skyscraper? BTW, how is it related to WTC 1? Please stay on topic, thanks!
Oriel Chambers is in Liverpool not NYC and, even by our lower standards it is not considered a skyscraper. However along with another building by the same architect 16 Cook Street, it pioneered a structural system that is widely thought to have influenced the early Chicago skyscrapers and, hence the skyscrapers of NYC.

I mentioned this because of the discussion about the use of glass cladding in modern skyscrapers such as 1WTC, so I don't think it is that far off topic.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 03:17 PM   #17772
Martin S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Bud View Post
Thanks for posting the picture, Martin ... it's a most elegant building. I hope they consider it a historic landmark so that it will never be demolished. This is a revolutionary step and truly a precursor to modern glass curtain wall skyscrapers such as One World Trade Center.

When I was referring to the earliest skyscrapers what I had in mind was the 10 story Home Insurance Building in Chicago (1885) or the 10 story Wainwright Building (1891) in St. Louis, which may be considered true skyscrapers because they had elevators to transport people to the higher floors.
We have lost a number of fine buildings in Liverpool but I think that Oriel Chambers is safe and that its importance in the development of building technology is now recognised. In fact, it has recently been refurbished and is considered quite a prestige address.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 03:44 PM   #17773
skyperu34
TRUXILLO del PERU !!!

Likes (Received): 808

Looks too good at night, thx for the pics !

Diseņo, arquitectura, arte y naturaleza en:

skyperu34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 04:42 PM   #17774
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro.Bi. View Post
Sorry for asking a probably stupid question but which company is doing the facade (production + installation)? AFAIK Viracon is supplying the glass but I couldn’t find out who does the facade itself. Any ideas guys?
Benson Industries from Portland Oregon.
uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 07:13 PM   #17775
Cladman

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro.Bi. View Post
Benson Industries

Cladman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 07:31 PM   #17776
Turbosnail

Likes (Received): 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmosphere View Post
They are working on materials that are transparent and stronger than steel. So expect to see even more transparent buildings in future with things like transparent columns.
Who is they?

Good progress on 1WTC
Turbosnail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 08:05 PM   #17777
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Core scaffolding jumped this morning. New vertical steel any day now.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 09:19 PM   #17778
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
Core scaffolding jumped this morning. New vertical steel any day now.
Hopping for good weather..
Old November 22nd, 2010, 10:07 PM   #17779
MattToronto
Less is More

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
Thought Flatron Building is NYC's first and oldest skyscraper?
Gooderham building in Toronto was well before the Flat Iron.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 10:19 PM   #17780
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoVabec View Post
+ That would be like the core takes whole building on her self..Yes, the core is the stronest part of the building but it has some limits too..You have to bolt those beams commin' out of the core to something to take the weight of everything on that floor...It's seriously impossible even to imagine something like he said...
Yes, except for one building over 100m (that I know of) in the world that has no load on the outside of the building:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...s_building.jpg
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center