daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 21st, 2010, 09:37 PM   #18421
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanamerican View Post
That was me, and yup, just as wavy (all glass panels at certain angles/distances will have distortions in their reflections, I don't see what is so hard to get). But I can post in another time since it doesn't look like some people get it...
Back up your "JUST AS WAVY" statement.

It was also said many pages back that we agree with you "all glass panels at certain angles/distances will have distortions in their reflections"

Some are better than others. The manufacturer of the Shard glass is better at it. It's not an insult to say we expect the same high standard at 1WTC.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 21st, 2010, 09:41 PM   #18422
ophizer

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapernab2 View Post
Want more? That is Guys Hospital in the relfection (fifth and sixth picture down). No telephoto lens!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=4768
Good examples....btw, no one is trying dis 1WTC. Just can't understand why page after page it's practically the same comment: 'the glass is awesome', 'definely as good as the shards', 'best shit since sliced bread' etc.
ophizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 09:44 PM   #18423
Scrapernab2

Same reason: when you look at the pictures just reflecting a grey sky, it looks flawless. They must skip over the ones reflecting objects, or believe they would be foolish enough to cover a supertall with plastic film (never been done) How labor intensive would it be to remove all the plastic!
Old December 21st, 2010, 09:58 PM   #18424
Draegen
I LIKE SKYSCRAPERS

Likes (Received): 44

You guys cant compare the two buildings, the windows are different sizes, and the wtc is massive compared to the shard just look at the diagrams

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=7788 <-- WTC

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=2611 <-- shard

the wtc could litterally eat the shard
Draegen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 10:17 PM   #18425
Scrapernab2

I guess if you're a SIZE queen....

But, that wasn't the point of the debate.
Old December 21st, 2010, 10:20 PM   #18426
Hanyuu222
NO CURE FOR LOVE

Likes (Received): 1212

Yes, for the 68th time, we all get it; the Shard is obviously superior and we are foolish to think that the WTC can even come close. I would like to apologize on behalf of all the people in this thread who think the glass on 1WTC looks amazing or better than that of other towers; clearly they are too delusional too understand how much better the Shard's glass looks. Its not only a disgrace that 1WTC's glass is wholly inferior, but also that everyone is too incompetent to see that the Shard's glass is the closest thing to perfection in the universe.

Zaz965 liked this post
Hanyuu222 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 10:21 PM   #18427
Scrapernab2

Thank you. That settles the debate!
Old December 21st, 2010, 10:27 PM   #18428
waddler
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draegen View Post
the wtc could litterally eat the shard
The strong drink gets served in small glasses
waddler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 10:31 PM   #18429
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Likes (Received): 16

December 21, 2010 New York City Boy :)

SO I finally took a walk to the construction site.....

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Winter Garden Christmas decor bonus photo

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I Love NY

Last edited by TowersNYC; December 21st, 2010 at 10:40 PM.
TowersNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 10:36 PM   #18430
ophizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanyuu222 View Post
Yes, for the 68th time, we all get it; the Shard is obviously superior and we are foolish to think that the WTC can even come close. I would like to apologize on behalf of all the people in this thread who think the glass on 1WTC looks amazing or better than that of other towers; clearly they are too delusional too understand how much better the Shard's glass looks. Its not only a disgrace that 1WTC's glass is wholly inferior, but also that everyone is too incompetent to see that the Shard's glass is the closest thing to perfection in the universe.
all i wanted to hear
Old December 21st, 2010, 10:36 PM   #18431
Gendo

Likes (Received): 77

Look, the Shard's glass is about 11ft 8in by 2ft 8in. 1WTC glass is 13ft 4in by 4ft 0in. Larger glass panels are going to be slightly wavier. Also, the Shard stands alone with no nearby buildings to be reflected in it's glass. The "perfect" glass is nothing more than an illusion to untrained eyes.

The inferiority complex being displayed by Shard fans is getting to ridiculous levels. Drop it already.

Back to the subject at hand. Perhaps I missed it, but I'm surprised that so far I haven't seen a photo here that caught the facade crew in the act of installing one of these glass panels.

Last edited by Gendo; December 21st, 2010 at 10:51 PM.
Gendo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 10:40 PM   #18432
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapernab2 View Post
Back up your "JUST AS WAVY" statement.

It was also said many pages back that we agree with you "all glass panels at certain angles/distances will have distortions in their reflections"

Some are better than others. The manufacturer of the Shard glass is better at it. It's not an insult to say we expect the same high standard at 1WTC.
Here it is

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5281276128/

Where it looks cheaper than the glass they used at a train station near where I live.

Quote:
Some are better than others. The manufacturer of the Shard glass is better at it
Now you back that up. Give me something, like the difference between the producers of specs like glass density, degree of crystallization and densification of the glass (used to determine the QUALITY of the glass). Every glass responds to the same tests to determine its characteristics, so it's no mission impossible to compare it.

Because if we did agree that

Quote:
we agree with you "all glass panels at certain angles/distances will have distortions in their reflections"
and there are pictures to prove that (like the one I've posted), then the statement " The manufacturer of the Shard glass is better at it " has no argument to support it, unless of course you post here data that says otherwise. Simple logic really.

Last edited by romanamerican; December 21st, 2010 at 11:05 PM.
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:32 PM   #18433
ophizer

Quote:
Here it is

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5281276128/

Where it looks cheaper than the glass they used at a train station near where I live.

Now you back that up. Give me something, like the difference between the producers of specs like glass density, degree of crystallization and densification of the glass (used to determine the QUALITY of the glass). Every glass responds to the same tests to determine its characteristics, so it's no mission impossible to compare it.

Because if we did agree that

and there are pictures to prove that (like the one I've posted), then the statement " The manufacturer of the Shard glass is better at it " has no argument to support it, unless of course you post here data that says otherwise. Simple logic really.
Thank you for this. At least an attempt at a "formal" analysis of the quality of the cladding on this building. I knew that by asking this question I'd be accused of having an inferiority complex and a small *****; alas, my technical backround isn't too strong, so I decided to brave the criticism.

FYI, I found this to be interesting (but still limiting) on WNY:

Old December 21st, 2010, 11:43 PM   #18434
Munwon

Likes (Received): 3254

Speaking in terms of a neutral third party (neither European or American)I think 1WTC has the best clading. The glass and stainless steel look very very very good together.
Munwon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2010, 11:56 PM   #18435
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophizer View Post
Thank you for this. At least an attempt at a "formal" analysis of the quality of the cladding on this building. I knew that by asking this question I'd be accused of having an inferiority complex and a small *****; alas, my technical backround isn't too strong, so I decided to brave the criticism.

FYI, I found this to be interesting (but still limiting) on WNY:

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/4344/91403381.png
I'm sorry for the "small *****" "inferiority complex" comments, an objective, mature discussion is hard sometimes for some people (I'm 22, so I doubt age is a great factor when it comes to this).

Thank you for the technical info, although it is talking in general, without a comparison between the two glass products. I actually know what they are talking about just because I just finished a Material Science Engineering class (my final was 2 days ago so still fresh in the brain) reason why I actually understand most of the info.

But, to sum it up, there is "waviness" in both glasses as the pictures previously posted have shown, and we have seen that this effect is seen depending on angle/lens/light/reflections.

But as far as quality of the glass goes, nobody has presented any data that can support "this is better than that" statement. Hopefully someone will find that kind of info and post it (I can try to look, but don't feel too motivated right now). Until then, those kind of comments are laughable.
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 12:41 AM   #18436
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

All this is out of toppic, tower vs. tower, glass vs. glass..You're like little kids who fight who's dad is better..

TowersNYC, thanks for this update, it's great..
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 12:43 AM   #18437
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Until then, those kind of comments are laughable.
+1
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 01:03 AM   #18438
NewJerseyUSA

Likes (Received): 0

great looking building, but,

how come are they not cladding one part of the skyscraper, to the left of one of the elevators, but doing the rest?

just wondering
NewJerseyUSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 01:22 AM   #18439
Gendo

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoVabec View Post
All this is out of toppic, tower vs. tower, glass vs. glass..You're like little kids who fight who's dad is better..
I'm just tired of seeing this cheesy childish argument going on week after week after week, every time I check in on this thread.

Ragardless of which side of the argument you're on, the entire debate is, in and of itself, retarded.

Why these people can't just come here to enjoy the construction photos of these two great buildings, and make respectful comments concerning each building in that building's thread, completely baffles me.

Last edited by Gendo; December 22nd, 2010 at 01:28 AM.
Gendo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2010, 01:23 AM   #18440
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoVabec View Post

TowersNYC, thanks for this update, it's great..
My pleasure my friend!!!

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I Love NY
TowersNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center