daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 26th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #19321
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8243

Quote:
Originally Posted by The seventh shape View Post
Yes, that's what I thought. Since it's the same height at the twins, it can't be the tallest, because the twins never held that title when they were around.
actually that is wrong. the WTC was the world's tallest skyscraper from 1972 to 1974, because the sears Tower / Willis Tower was built after the WTC haha
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2011, 07:31 PM   #19322
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmont View Post
Not withstanding, the spire on the top, it will be the same height as the original twins, give or take a little, so the answer to that would be no. That title will, just like before, belong to the Sears/Willis, or whatever it is nowadays called, in Chicago.
WTC1 will be tall as the twins to the roof...Then it's the spire which will give it the height of 1776 ft (541m)..Sears/Willis have antennas which doesn't count as part of the tower's height..So, yes, 1WTC will be the tallest..
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #19323
Dominance

Likes (Received): 5

Does anybody have a diagram to show me visablly show me how tall the towers is now compare it to a fnished tower 1v2 . Thanks so much.
Dominance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #19324
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5339

just go to skyscraperpage.com and check diagram for all New-York Skyscrapers and see it next to the Empire state building.

EDIT: here:
Old January 26th, 2011, 10:00 PM   #19325
MontanaGuy

Likes (Received): 51

DinoVabec wrote:
Quote:
WTC1 will be tall as the twins to the roof...Then it's the spire which will give it the height of 1776 ft (541m)..Sears/Willis have antennas which doesn't count as part of the tower's height..So, yes, 1WTC will be the tallest..
That's correct but I can't say that I agree with the idea of counting the height of a spire which often also functions as an antenna because it appears to be part of the architectual design while excluding the additional height of the Sears/Willis building because it's just antennas. Those antennas also give the Sears/Willis a distinctive appearance and I've always thought that their height should be included.

Edit: I just happened to look at the diagram of The New York Times Tower and they're counting that little pipsqueak spire as part of the height even though it's hardly noticeable.

Last edited by MontanaGuy; January 26th, 2011 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Additional information
MontanaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 10:25 PM   #19326
ArrHo

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
The CN tower is 1815 feet in height and One World Trade Center will be 1776 feet in height so it will not be taller than the CN tower.
i knewit was close but wasn't quite sure, thanks for the info.

Quote:
read what i did just post guyed masts count to for tallest free standinstucture in north america wtc 1 will be 541m
Freestanding means the whole structure withstands the loads inflicted on it without any aids such as guys, so guyed masts will be tallest but they aren't freestanding
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:10 PM   #19327
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Quote:
DinoVabec wrote:

That's correct but I can't say that I agree with the idea of counting the height of a spire which often also functions as an antenna because it appears to be part of the architectual design while excluding the additional height of the Sears/Willis building because it's just antennas. Those antennas also give the Sears/Willis a distinctive appearance and I've always thought that their height should be included.

Edit: I just happened to look at the diagram of The New York Times Tower and they're counting that little pipsqueak spire as part of the height even though it's hardly noticeable.
Yeah..I think Sears antennas should be included too..I think this spire/antenna thing is error in height measure when we talk about architecture..
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:31 PM   #19328
MontanaGuy

Likes (Received): 51

DinoVabec wrote:
Quote:
Yeah..I think Sears antennas should be included too..I think this spire/antenna thing is error in height measure when we talk about architecture..
Well the spire on One World Trade Center is certainly one of the most distinctive ones that I've seen on a building. I get the feeling that whoever is deciding whether or not a spire or antenna should be counted for the total height is really making a judgement call that's not based on much more than an opinion. I suppose that if the Sears/Willis building had added some architectural elements to it's antennas then they probably would have counted it but they don't seem to be consistent because they've counted spires that look like insignicant flag poles in some cases. In any case I was so glad when they redid the design of this building because it's going to be recognized as one of the most important symbols of NYC when it's completed and it's one of my favorite projects that's being constructed anywhere.
MontanaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #19329
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Quote:
DinoVabec wrote:

Well the spire on One World Trade Center is certainly one of the most distinctive ones that I've seen on a building. I get the feeling that whoever is deciding whether or not a spire or antenna should be counted for the total height is really making a judgement call that's not based on much more than an opinion. I suppose that if the Sears/Willis building had added some architectural elements to it's antennas then they probably would have counted it but they don't seem to be consistent because they've counted spires that look like insignicant flag poles in some cases. In any case I was so glad when they redid the design of this building because it's going to be recognized as one of the most important symbols of NYC when it's completed and it's one of my favorite projects that's being constructed anywhere.
Yes, I have to agree here..Talkin' about flag poles..Take a look at New York Times building..This is insane..
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:46 PM   #19330
DinoVabec
Worldwide

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE70O08U20110125

Selling One World Trade Center not an option

Jan 25, 2011
(Reporting by Joan Gralla and Dan Trotta

New York state and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey are both grappling with severe financial problems, but selling off One World Trade Center to bail them out would be a mistake, according to Port Authority executive director Christopher Ward.

Both Ward and Janno Lieber, who directs the World Trade Center's rebuilding for developer Larry Silverstein, agreed in interviews that the commercial market was firming.

The Port Authority's One World Trade Center now stands about 56 stories high. Four World Trade Center, one of three towers Silverstein is building, stands 13 stories high.

"People are starting to get excited about moving here as they are starting to see the buildings rise," Lieber said.

"The city's economy is leading the recovery," Lieber said, adding media and financial companies are drawn to the prospect of four modern "green" skyscrapers suitable for their high-tech needs, especially in a city where large office buildings often have to be retrofitted or lack open floor space.

Ward, who was just reappointed by Democratic Governor Andrew Cuomo, said the Port Authority was now confident that it no longer needed New York state to take space in One World Trade Center, partly because the state is too cash-strapped to afford the high rents.

"There may be a long-term decision to bring in less of the state or none at all," Ward said, noting New York now probably pays less than $25 a square foot for its downtown offices.

"We think we can definitely attract a higher-paying commercial tenant," Ward said.

Both the federal government and media giant Conde Nast are still expected to lease space in the complex.

Ward noted that the real estate market was far from as strong as it was when Silverstein signed a long-term lease for the properties just two months before the September 11, 2001 attacks.

"To sell out at the bottom of the market, in the market that we are in right, now would potentially be the worst mistake that we could kind of make," Ward told Reuters.

"The biggest mistake we would make now would be to sell short now -- to think that we could make up either the state's financial difficulties or the Port Authority's," Ward said.

"This has to be an asset that returns value to the Port Authority for years to come," he added.

One World Trade Center, called the Freedom Tower until that name failed to entice tenants, will likely be 85 percent or so rented by 2016 or 2017, Ward said.

The building, whose 1,776-foot (541-meter) height will match the year of U.S. independence, is expected to be finished by late 2013, around four years behind schedule.

Silverstein's Four World Trade Center should open in 2013, followed by Three World Trade Center in late 2014 or early 2015.

When Two World Trade Center is built depends on whether it attracts tenants, but Lieber said: "We are confident there definitely is interest in the marketplace."
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:54 PM   #19331
ArrHo

Likes (Received): 19

i think they don't count antennas as they arent part of the designedstructure per say they are only used as a way to putup broadcasting and recieving equipmen, one fine example is the ESB it has a spire but the antenna on top isnt included because it was added later and only for broadcasting equipment
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:56 PM   #19332
skyscraperlover9595
Certified MiG killer

Likes (Received): 163

What about today?
skyscraperlover9595 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 01:14 AM   #19333
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

That article was a pretty god read

Im so excited
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 01:48 AM   #19334
parsonsnose
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
Sounds about right.

So your saying he should take the bullshit, now who's being childish.

No, I was saying that issuing silly ultimatums is not a good way to win an argument, and leaves him looking stupid.

Back on topic

It's a great tower whether you measure it in feet and inches, metres or gnats nudgers.
parsonsnose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 01:50 AM   #19335
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
DinoVabec wrote:

I personally think Spires/antennas or whatever should only be considered part of the total height when they are integral to the design of the structure. Obviously the antennas on the Willis are not integral to the design. Of course the so called spire on top of this building is also not integral to the building's design! Its looks are completely different and contrast the smooth design of the building and no way does it look like it was even designed by the same person. In addition part of its original intent was to contain broadcast equipment but since the building is taking so long other arrangements have been made for this equipment so it will sit empty!
Old January 27th, 2011, 02:03 AM   #19336
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

You know what's funny. 1WTC antenna was taller then, the one on Sears Tower. Then Sears added a taller antenna, so it could be taller then 1WTC.

Picture a old building adding 2000 feet of antenna, to be the tallest building in the world. Yeah spires are cheap but its NYC look around.
Old January 27th, 2011, 02:33 AM   #19337
DinoVabec
Worldwide

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...-rss&FEEDNAME=

Condé to 1 WTC: 'Matter of time'

By STEVE CUOZZO
January 25, 2011

Five months after Condé Nast and the Port Authority signed a non-binding "letter of intent," a completed lease for the glam-magazine factory to move to 1 World Trade Center is inevitable, sources predicted.

The only disagreement is over timing. While several sources believed the epochal inking could occur as early as March, others insisted it would take longer -- "not because anything's gone wrong, but simply because it's so complicated," one said.

Condé Nast is currently at 4 Times Square. Last August, the publisher and the PA announced they had a term sheet. But it was far from a done deal, especially in light of the WTC site's notorious complexities.

However, a final deal for Condé Nast to take 1 million square feet in the 2.6 million square-foot tower's lower half is clearly in sight.

Nobody's breaking out champagne yet. All-but-done deals can and do break down -- as in last year's last-minute scuttling by A&E Networks of plans to move to 150 E. 42nd St.

But the Condé Nast commitment would, at a stroke, make nonsense of widespread skepticism since 9/11 that major companies would ever return to the WTC site.

Condé Nast's stature as a singularly prestigious brand would make all of the site's office space a hot commodity -- at 1 WTC, at Larry Silverstein's fast-rising 4 WTC and in two towers yet to come.

Meanwhile, word that Gov. Cuomo has decided to keep Christopher Ward on as PA executive director is "good news for downtown and good news for the state," said Silverstein Properties' development director Janno Lieber. Downtown Alliance president Liz Berger similarly called it "great news."

Lieber's praise is especially meaningful given the past animosity between Silverstein and the PA -- a history of blame and counter-blame, public name-calling and lawsuits.

Ward, who was appointed to the post by former Gov. Paterson in 2008, reversed a pattern by predecessors who seemed not only ineffectual at getting anything done, but also out of touch with what was going on at ground zero.

On Ward's watch, progress has been remarkable on 1 WTC, the memorial, and the site's fiendishly complicated infrastructure. (When we'll see the Santiago Calatrava-designed transportation "Hub" remains to be seen.)

Ward also pushed through two crucial agreements -- with Silverstein over financing terms for his towers and with the Durst Organization, which will be the PA's minority partner in managing and leasing 1 WTC.
Old January 27th, 2011, 03:46 AM   #19338
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

On Site | An Inside Look at One World Trade Center

THIS WEEK: Frigid temperatures settled over the city but work at One World Trade Center steamed on. Workers, stuffing hand warmers into their gloves and boots, said the frigid temperatures somewhat slowed down progress but more than 52 floors have been completed and steel is up to the 56th floor.

Workers stacking elevator shaft insulation on the 24th floor. This floor has windows installed, but there is still a strong draft and frigid temperatures.

The 24th floor has windows, and an elevator shaft with stairs and a railing.

Steel has reached the 56th floor and with a limited number of elevators, workers are often stuck on various floors, banging on the steel shaft, hoping to get the operator's attention. As a result, workers are often stranded on floors for long periods of time, and workers say the elevators are more and more crowded.

A carpenter on his lunch break. He says his boots and gloves are stuffed with hand warmers.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 03:50 AM   #19339
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

January 24th by terryballard

image hosted on flickr

8 hours ago by Clampants

image hosted on flickr

Almost a week ago... January 21st by thebudman623

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Otie; January 27th, 2011 at 03:59 AM.
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 04:08 AM   #19340
bugstone

Likes (Received): 12

Although this is off topic, I came across a great video of Philippe Petit walking across the Twin Towers in 1974. I thought this might add a bit of historical depth to the WTC rebuilding. Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEU7l...eature=related

Bugs
bugstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center