daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 27th, 2011, 10:48 PM   #19361
leoracademico
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post

Wow, what a beautiful picture!
leoracademico no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2011, 11:35 PM   #19362
azn_man12345

Likes (Received): 114

That was very informative. Thanks for posting it
azn_man12345 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 11:52 PM   #19363
pnapp1
Die-Hard New Yorker!

Likes (Received): 353

A Q/A from Ask The Port Authority:

Q. When I visited last week, I noticed something strange with the glass. The reflections of things close to the building are very clear, but buildings and objects that are far away seem to be wavy and odd. Is this because the glass has just started to go in? Is there a film on the glass? – George, Philadelphia, PA

A. George, there is no film on the glass. Once the building is fully enclosed and pressurized, the wavy reflection will be reduced.

Interesting answer in relation to all the comments here about the glass and its distorted reflections.
pnapp1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 12:11 AM   #19364
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Lynda Tollner is a program director in the World Trade Center Construction Department with design and construction responsibilities for One World Trade Center.

Ms. Tollner has more than 25 years of experience in project management and structural engineering and has worked for the Port Authority for seven years. In the past, she has managed design and construction of a variety of commercial, institutional and transportation facilities including projects at LaGuardia and Newark Liberty International airports and the Port Authority's current headquarters at 225/233 Park Avenue South.

One World Trade Center is scheduled for completion at the end of 2013.

(Note: We received more than 40 questions in response to our "Ask the PA" feature on One World Trade Center. Some of the questions were repetitive, so to avoid redundancy, we eliminated several of them).

Q. When do you anticipate that 1 WTC steel installation will exceed 7 WTC in height? – John, Washington, WA

A. John, we are getting real close. We expect to exceed the height of 7 WTC in February. Right now, we are on the 56th floor.

Q. What do you see as the greatest challenges looking forward toward completion of 1 WTC? – Mike, Moravia, N.Y.

A. We encounter challenges with this project every day and our staff works diligently to meet each and every one of them. Perhaps the greatest challenge we will face in the future is the construction of the 408-foot antenna concurrent with the completion of the roof and the rooftop mechanical systems. Essentially, we will be undertaking two separate projects simultaneously in very limited space.

Q. When do you expect 1 WTC to become the tallest structure downtown, as well as in New York City? Also, why does the first floor of glass skip to every other piece, and finally when will the plaza finishes begin? – Anthony, Commack, N.Y.

A. We anticipate 1 World Trade Center will be the tallest structure downtown by mid-summer when it surpasses the Beekman Tower, and the tallest in the City when it surpasses the Empire State Building by the end of this year. The missing panels of glass on the 20th floor were left out intentionally to accommodate supports for the protection required for the curtain wall glass installation.

Q. When I visited last week, I noticed something strange with the glass. The reflections of things close to the building are very clear, but buildings and objects that are far away seem to be wavy and odd. Is this because the glass has just started to go in? Is there a film on the glass? – George, Philadelphia, PA

A. George, there is no film on the glass. Once the building is fully enclosed and pressurized, the wavy reflection will be reduced.

Q. About what floor will 1 WTC reach by the 9/11/11 anniversary, and what floor will it reach by the end of 2011? – Michael, East Brunswick, N.J.

A. We expect to have steel up to a floor in the mid-80s by the 10th anniversary later this year and near the 104th floor by the end of the year.

Q. There appears to be vents in the façade that cover the large mechanical floors near the top of the building. These mechanical floors and vents also appear to correspond to the original impact site of Flight 11. Is this deliberate or simply a coincidence? – Kyle, Fargo, ND

A. If there is an alignment, as you say, it definitely was not intentional.

Q. How long will it take to reach the 75th floor? – Peter, Verona, N.J.

A. Our goal is to build one floor a week. Given that schedule, we expect to be at the 75th floor in about 22 weeks.

Q. When will the base of 1 WTC by completed in concrete, and how will this process happen? – Zack, Elkton, MD

A. Concrete work at the base of the tower is proceeding, but it must be carefully staged so that it does not interfere with other trades and delivery logistics at the base. Portions of the concrete wall will be done later so that various trades can drive trucks into the lobbies for materials deliveries. For example, all of the elevator rails are being delivered to the North Lobby. Fireproofing materials are delivered to the South Lobby.

Q. Does 1 WTC use the tube-frame structure system like the original Twin Towers? – Benjamin, Canberra, AK

A. No, it does not. 1 WTC involves a building system that consists of a steel frame and a concrete core.

Q. Since the tower is coming closer to being topped out, will there be a topping out ceremony toward the end of the year? – Dominic, Grants, NM

A. We anticipate the tower will be topping out in early 2012. Our focus right now is getting the tower built. When the time comes, we will focus on whatever announcements or ceremony is appropriate. For now, it's just build, build, build.

Q. 1 WTC seems about five floors shorter from street level than the neighboring 7 WTC, which claims a height of 52 floors. Why the difference in height and number of floors? – Josh, New York, N.Y.

A. The number of floors in office buildings does not correspond to a specific height. For example, the first office floor in 1 World Trade Center is the 20th floor, which is approximately 180 feet above street level. However, there are only nine floor slabs between the lobby and the 20th floor, which will accommodate the tower's mechanical systems.

Q. When will the glass façade for the base of 1 WTC be in place? – Tyler, New York, N.Y.

A. Installation of the podium wall glass will begin in early 2012. This work must be staged later to allow the tower's hoists to remain in place, so the podium glass won't be completed until the 2nd quarter of 2013.

Q. I was just wondering when the curtain wall will start on the mechanical floors under the 20th floor? – Spencer, Montreal, N.Y.

A. Just to be clear, the curtain wall and the podium wall glass are not the same. The curtain wall glass is currently being installed from the 20th floor to the top of the building, while the podium wall glass for the bottom 20 floors is in fabrication, with installation to begin in early 2012.

Q. I know that some steel recovered from the site after 9/11 was used to build the U.S.S. New York. Is any of the steel being used to build the new tower? – Joshua, Sparrows Point, MD

A. No. However, there will be two of the massive steel tridents that were part of the original World Trade Center towers on display in the Memorial Pavilion.

Q. When will the spire go on 1 WTC and how long will it take for the spire to be installed? – Logan, New York, N.Y.

A. Installation of the tower's spire will begin in mid 2012, and will take approximately six months to complete.

Q. I noticed a crane on the northwest corner of the building. What will this crane be used for? – Holmdel, N.J.

A. The “slider crane” on the northwest corner of the building is used by the concrete contractor to convey reinforcement and other materials into the building and to remove debris.

Q. How often do shipments of glass arrive at the World Trade Center site? – Erik, Baltimore, MD

A. The curtain wall panels are loaded into shipping containers in Portland, Oregon and shipped by rail to North Jersey, where they are placed on trucks for delivery to the site. We receive one major delivery at the site each week.

Q. Is it true that 1 WTC will top out this year? – Steven, San Diego, CA

A. We expect 1 World Trade Center will top out in early 2012.

Q. I noticed that the crane on the northwest portion of 1 WTC is still attached to the building and no glass panels have been installed on that section of the tower. When will the crane be disassembled in order for the glass to be put up? – Michael, East Brunswick, N.J.

A. As the slider crane moves up the building, the temporary steel on the lower floors is being removed so that the curtain wall installation can continue on this corner.

Q. How many workers are working at 1 World Trade Center at any given time? – Joe, Brooklyn, N.Y.

A. Currently, the total manpower of all of the trades is approximately 1,100 people.

Q. What brand of elevators will be used in 1 World Trade Center? What brand of chillers will be used? – Bob, Louisville, KY

A. Thyssen-Krup will provide 70 elevators and 9 escalators for 1 World Trade Center. There are no chillers in the building. McQuay is providing the self-contained direct expansion air conditioning units on each floor.
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 02:19 AM   #19365
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5172

That was probably the best PA Q&A so far. Very informative.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 02:44 AM   #19366
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

12 hours ago by JeffandWill
image hosted on flickr
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 04:10 AM   #19367
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFish View Post
True, but the line between antenna and spire has really been moved too far IMO. Chrysler, ESB, Ptronus and Burj have spires. But when a glorified flagpole counts as a spire they need to re-evaluate. This thing on WTC1 is just a fancy broadcast antenna. If anything, it actually detracts from the design of the building. I say, either count them all or make official building heights count only to the roof line. I know it's only numbers but when officially Petronus is "taller" than the Sears/Willis tower even though you can stand on the ob deck in Chicago and look down 150 feet to where the top floor of Petronus would be its kind of ridiculous to say Petronus is taller just because it's antenna is encased in something that makes it prettier.
Hi Fly.

I agree.
That's why I have been going by the height to tip measure for years. The CTBUH uses the height to architectural top as the measure they use to rate skyscrapers and I do see their point in doing that. I am happy to see them drop their height to roof measure also. But the height to tip is the number with the most meaning for me. IMO if they want to put a 610 meter (2000 foot) pole on the top of a 390 meter building they do have something a km. high. I also recognized the long reign of the guyed mast as mans tallest structure untill overtaken by a free standing structure. (by a large margin - the BK)

In my books the Sears Tower (OK - Willis ...) is 527 meters high and the BK is 830.

Ray.
Old January 28th, 2011, 03:31 PM   #19368
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

Sorry, but it sounds like hopeful thinking! We see other towers around the world that are not 'pressurized' and look better. I am not saying which ones...

Just look at Oklahoma City:http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=1061
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #19369
MattToronto
Less is More

Likes (Received): 97

I think there is some validity in that answer, and not wishful thinking. The building itself is hardly cladded, especially near the base, whereas it appears the tower in Oklahoma is much further along in its cladding. You also have to consider the sheer size of these glass panes in comparison. From closer up its going to look wavier because that's just physics, but from far away, as in the renders, I have a feeling it will be a great reflector.
Old January 28th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #19370
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

It appears that for the most part the wavyness will be similar to 7 WTC. The cladding isn't installed the same way, but 7 WTC has some wavyness as well. And for those who have seen 7 WTC in person, we know just how awesome it looks.

I think the wavyness was covered pretty well earlier here and elsewhere (WNY). It is probably due to how it was manufactured to prevent it from shattering into a million sharp shards if a bomb did explode.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #19371
Pfeuffer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 405

I want to see a pic of the top of the building cause the webcam doesn`t show it anymore. hope they continue erecting new steel on it
although this winter seems to be a harsh one !
Pfeuffer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #19372
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

There is another angle: not the best view, but you can see the steel of new levels.

http://www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/live-camera.html
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 08:50 PM   #19373
Dominance

Likes (Received): 5

Hey everybody, i just came back from the World Trade Center site and i was amased at how tall and huge 1 WTC has become. I spoke to the worker there and they told me that the first to second week of march 1 WTC will be taller than 7 WTC. Then i got a good view of the entire site from World Center Hotel.
Dominance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #19374
The Shard Baby
Future architect

Likes (Received): 2308

You don't get that weather in Britain all the time!
The Shard Baby's YouTube channel
Visit The Shard Baby 1998's Flickr:
The Shard Baby 1998 Flickr

Kingdom Tower LIVE cam
The Shard Baby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 11:58 PM   #19375
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1034

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shard Baby View Post
Yeah, they don't get it very often in NYC either.
Old January 28th, 2011, 11:59 PM   #19376
HD
°°°°°°°°°°°°

Likes (Received): 906

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shard Baby View Post
wtf?

awesome progress. it's like watching the original wtc construction.
Old January 29th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #19377
zapor1

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
Yeah, they don't get it very often in NYC either.
mhm, we don't get this much snow this often. This year has been a particularly harsh winter so far. I think were at around 56 inches of snow now and we aren't even in February yet, our snowiest month of the winter. This January is also the 2nd most snowiest month in the history of nyc records. And the snowiest January in the history of nyc records. Were on track to having one of the snowiest winters in the history of nyc.
zapor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 02:12 AM   #19378
statueoflibertywtc3

Likes (Received): 0

Damn that has to happen when the new 1WTC is under construction. Hope it's not delayed that much.
statueoflibertywtc3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 03:34 AM   #19379
Otie
Researcher

Today, by sarisha76
image hosted on flickr

Some more floors and it will be clearly visible, for now, just the tip of the cranes...
Yesterday, running.to.stand.still

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

January 26th, bogdancondor

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Otie; January 29th, 2011 at 05:16 AM.
Old January 29th, 2011, 05:11 AM   #19380
Otie
Researcher

Greenwichboy, WiredNewYork, Today

Does anybody knows why this night, tower 1 is without lights??

Last edited by Otie; January 29th, 2011 at 05:48 AM.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center