daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 1st, 2011, 04:18 AM   #19441
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

(deleted)
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2011, 04:33 AM   #19442
AlexanderCameron

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnafury View Post
Frankly, that's plain bullshit.
Off topic: Agreed, if the dollar looses its status as the world reserve currency (which some have speculated it will in the near future), I fear Americans will feel tougher times before anything improves economically.

On topic: I love how the triangular faces of this tower (when viewed from the ground) give a false perspective and appears to elongate the structure. Your eye could almost deceive you as to think the faces are actually rectangular but appear to be tapering at the top because of its sheer scale.

I believe Disney used this mind trick when they designing sleeping beauty's castle at disneyland (false perspective I believe).
Old February 1st, 2011, 04:41 AM   #19443
jayhawker
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnafury View Post
Frankly, that's plain bullshit.

Why?

Zaz965 liked this post
jayhawker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 04:58 AM   #19444
Pfeuffer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 405

cause China is the new world economic leader, but hey that`s off topic !!
Pfeuffer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 05:16 AM   #19445
PaulFCB
BANNED

Likes (Received): 262

Is it? Well, just not yet, they are still behind the US and the Eurozone.
Nuke them while you still can and you won't regret it later . Wel'll give USA another half century of leadership, just like after Nagasaki.
PaulFCB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 06:06 AM   #19446
philaw

Likes (Received): 0

Off Topic

New to posting on this forum, but I have some advice. (1) The US economy has nothing to do with the aesthetics of 1 World Trade Center. (2) If you are going to be off-topic, at least be correct: (a) US gdp is $14.8 trillion, China's is $5.8 trillion. (b) Eurozone economies contain 700 million people, with just over $15 trillion gdp (note US population of merely 310 million). (c) New gdp estimates say US economy is currently growing at a rate of 3.2%. (d) (and most importantly), while China's economy is booming around 10%, they are dealing with rapid and devastating inflation. They have 2 choices: either allow their currency to elevate which would lead to far less economic growth, OR keep their currency deflated and thus allow inflation keep rising, resulting in social and political instability.

That being said, Tower 1 looks great.
philaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 06:20 AM   #19447
Dominance

Likes (Received): 5

I just realized something, tower 1 is now less then 75 feet away from conqering the Goldman Sachs building and tower 7 and once that happens it would be the 17th tallest building in NYC. So stay tuned because 6 more floors and Tower 1 will start to show its true dominance in height over the other skyscrapers of NYC.
Dominance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 07:31 AM   #19448
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

^I mean it's going to be THE tallest in NYC soon so it's not even half the height yet.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 08:11 AM   #19449
dkrager

Thanks for bringing some sensibility to this forum!
dkrager no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 08:14 AM   #19450
hellrazor650

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by philaw View Post
New to posting on this forum, but I have some advice. (1) The US economy has nothing to do with the aesthetics of 1 World Trade Center. (2) If you are going to be off-topic, at least be correct: (a) US gdp is $14.8 trillion, China's is $5.8 trillion. (b) Eurozone economies contain 700 million people, with just over $15 trillion gdp (note US population of merely 310 million). (c) New gdp estimates say US economy is currently growing at a rate of 3.2%. (d) (and most importantly), while China's economy is booming around 10%, they are dealing with rapid and devastating inflation. They have 2 choices: either allow their currency to elevate which would lead to far less economic growth, OR keep their currency deflated and thus allow inflation keep rising, resulting in social and political instability.

I really like you
hellrazor650 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 02:11 PM   #19451
kanye
WDNF-Mod | RIP desertpunk

Likes (Received): 8506

discovery cam is working again
kanye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 04:02 PM   #19452
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

Biggest snow storm of the year predicted for tomorrow....

I would like to know how many days delay has been a result of this unusual (for NYC) weather?
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 04:07 PM   #19453
MattToronto
Less is More

Likes (Received): 97

TOronto is supposed to get a metre (3 feet) of snow tonight.
Old February 1st, 2011, 05:19 PM   #19454
edtealdi

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:

You are my new hero. By the way, welcome.
Old February 1st, 2011, 07:08 PM   #19455
celav sam pa sta
Novo Naselje

Quote:

Just a small correction, i don't mean anything bad...

The whole EU, consisting of 27 countries has around 500 million, and the Eurozone, constituted of 17 countries where the official currency is Euro, has far less then 500 million inhabitants, to be precise, it has 330 million...

Hope you don't get this the wrong way...

The tower is monumental... Cheers.
celav sam pa sta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 07:36 PM   #19456
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

From now on I'm goin' to report everyone who will post this crap which is not related to 1WTC construction..Expect to be banned..I'm seriously sick of it..
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 07:48 PM   #19457
Kynareth

Likes (Received): 20

I watched today Sci-Trek programme on Discovery Showcase about possible earthquake in New York city and I was pondering over New World Trade Centers durability. Would the magnitude 7 earthquake destroy the new towers? I think the place where Freedom Tower is is covered by a hard rock so that the durable steel skeleton of the tower can withstand this. But the falling glass would be a big problem for people on the streets.
I would prefer to be in a skyscraper than on a street while earthquake happening.
I saw a map of Geologic Map of Manhattan, Bronx etc. on previous page but I'm sorry, I don't understand it I know that some parts of New York City are covered by deposit left by moving back glacier and that's where building are lower and more vulnerable to earthquakes, are skyscrapers in that zones? Are their foundations durable enough?
IMO EVERY new built skyscraper should be able to withstand magnitude 6 earthquake. Some in special zones (like Taipei) ought to be even more durable.
Old February 1st, 2011, 07:54 PM   #19458
pnapp1
Die-Hard New Yorker!

Likes (Received): 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otie View Post
Today by Smolenski, January 30th (as posted by NYguy over at SSP)
image hosted on flickr
Kickass Pic! Love the effect!
pnapp1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 11:35 PM   #19459
Otie
Researcher

Likes (Received): 2186

Ronaldus...Dus! (February 1, 2011)
image hosted on flickr

alexnyc2011 (January 31, 2011)
image hosted on flickr

Yogi.Arora (January 30, 2011)
image hosted on flickr
Otie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2011, 11:48 PM   #19460
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kynareth View Post
I watched today Sci-Trek programme on Discovery Showcase about possible earthquake in New York city and I was pondering over New World Trade Centers durability. Would the magnitude 7 earthquake destroy the new towers? I think the place where Freedom Tower is is covered by a hard rock so that the durable steel skeleton of the tower can withstand this. But the falling glass would be a big problem for people on the streets.
I would prefer to be in a skyscraper than on a street while earthquake happening.
I saw a map of Geologic Map of Manhattan, Bronx etc. on previous page but I'm sorry, I don't understand it I know that some parts of New York City are covered by deposit left by moving back glacier and that's where building are lower and more vulnerable to earthquakes, are skyscrapers in that zones? Are their foundations durable enough?
IMO EVERY new built skyscraper should be able to withstand magnitude 6 earthquake. Some in special zones (like Taipei) ought to be even more durable.
The entire WTC site is designed to handle a magnitude 7 earthquake.

The biggest problem in an earthquake that strong hitting New York is all the stone and brick clad buildings, and the "Brownstones".

You are right, probably the safest place to be if one hit would be in a modern, steel frame building, over 20 floors high.

(The Flatiron building would probably survive, but it's outside walls would be in the street.)

Last edited by Zensteeldude; February 1st, 2011 at 11:53 PM.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center