daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 7th, 2008, 09:21 AM   #221
Assurbanipal

Likes (Received): 124

@Manitopiaaa, please move your political posts to skybar or somewhere else. Here is place for discussion about architecture, not politics.

New render is perfect, hopwever, still I am not fully convinced about location. Maybe it is groudless - I love Warsaw skyscrapers seen behind Old Town...

Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2008, 10:43 AM   #222
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Resembles dubai towers in dubai, lol
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #223
skyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 77

I wish my City would have one of those ... I am tired looking at our City's skylines ... we got nothing ,nothing at all !
skyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 02:04 AM   #224
SpaceScraper
SpaceScraper

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
To all you skyscraper hungry retards. Think about the past! Part of assessing progress is how a nation can preserve its past! St. Petersburg deserves to grow but in a responsible manner. Why dont we go build the Burj Dubai in Lhasa? Because, it will ruin the culture and what the city has prided itself on. Gazprom and the Kremlin are the biggest crooks this planet has by far and goes to show that the people dont matter, only the powerful oligarchs of the Putin Era. This is why Russia will fail in developing. Oil is it's only means of power and without it goes its power, pride, and bullying of neighbors. I hope Ukraine can join the EU soon and be free from the Russian mafia. Stop the building is basically my point.
This retard believes that you can mix the new with the old. My own metro, Washington, DC, does a pretty good job of this.

If you want to rant, criticize the city planners in Shanghi which bulldoze historic buildings almost weekly to put up high-rise apartments.

I love the Okhta Center's architecture and style. It doesn't make the Winter Palace or Smolny Cathedreal any less amazing. They both have their merits and both are credit to the city's archtectural acheivements over multiple centuries.

As for your politcal rants, they are misplaced and not even accurate. The biggest source of economic power in Russia is gas, not oil. If Russia fails, it will be because of corruption, a weak legal system, bureaucracy and favoring nationalism over pragmatism, not because of over reliance on energy. Ukraine wouldn't have a western-leaning government if a "Russian mob" controlled it. Putin has diminished the influence of oligarchs and the Russian government now has a controlling interest in Gazprom. As far as not caring about people, well, there are a few Russians who prefer to see their country's oil in the hands of the "crooks" at the Kremlin rather than the "crooks" who are oligarchs. It's also worth noting, that Putin last week sent the Russian government's anti-monopoly office after the energy companies selling jet fuel because prices were 25% higher in Russian than in Europe. You can call Putin a crook, but some people think he's more like Robin Hood.
SpaceScraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 06:40 AM   #225
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Robin Hood was a thief.

Great skyscraper for St. Petersburg, though.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2008, 06:33 AM   #226
Sukhoi

Likes (Received): 0

Simply beautiful, it looks like a flower ice cristal. Saint Petersburg is a must visit if you go to Europe, but when Ohkta Center is finished it would be unforgivable not to visit it.

Greetings from Chile
"Pi, Darren Aronofsky"
Sukhoi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 12:02 AM   #227
nemtirev
Free Southern Ossetia

Likes (Received): 1

Unfortunately it`s only one big project in SPb.
Может кроме Газпрома рискнет построить небосребчик
nemtirev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #228
skyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 77

Is the artificial island U/C not big in SP ? I though they are going to build an IBC on that one like the one in Moscow and a harbour for cruise ships too
skyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 02:28 AM   #229
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

This development looks fabolous, altough some of the ground level (retail?) areas could be brighter and more open.

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 09:21 PM   #230
Geiselgesell

Likes (Received): 2

The tower looks great and a big city like St Petersburg needs skysrapers.
They should definitely build it, but maybe not so close to the historical center. Or they should build more skysrapers around it so that they form a cluster like in La Defense or Moscow City.
www.initiative-sonnenzeit.de
Geiselgesell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 10:04 PM   #231
JeanGrande

Likes (Received): 1

Spectacular architecture, but unfortunatly it's going to dwarf and relegate the skyline of the historic centre. At is current location it would destroy the famous cityscape, see this rendering: http://i022.radikal.ru/0806/20/169c00f407ff.jpg That's just my opinion. However no one can really dispute the impact this building will have once finished.

They should definitely consider building it further away from the historic centre.
Old November 5th, 2008, 05:29 PM   #232
SpaceScraper
SpaceScraper

Likes (Received): 8

For entire article see
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/article/600/42/372120.htm

Crisis Puts Gazprom Skyscraper In Doubt
05 November 2008
By Ira Iosebashvili / Staff Writer
The financial crisis might do what months of impassioned protests by St. Petersburg residents failed to accomplish — halt construction of a $2 billion skyscraper that would serve as the new headquarters for Gazprom Neft.

St. Petersburg Governor Valentina Matviyenko introduced an amendment to the city's budget that postponed investment in the Okhta Center for the first half of 2009, Vladimir Barkanov, chairman of the City Duma's budget and finance committee, said last week on 100TV, a local television station.

When contacted later by phone, Barkanov said the decision did not mean that St. Petersburg was pulling out of the project altogether.

"We have financed the Okhta Center for the last few years, putting in a set amount every half year," he said. "However, due to the current crisis, the funds the city had allocated to financing the project for the first half of 2009 will be redirected.

"The document on the city's participation in the project is still in full effect," he said.

Barkanov said the city would restart investment in the development once the economic situation improves.
SpaceScraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2008, 07:07 PM   #233
Peloso

Likes (Received): 245

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceScraper View Post
For entire article see
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/article/600/42/372120.htm

Crisis Puts Gazprom Skyscraper In Doubt
05 November 2008
This may be the only positive outcome of this crisis: saving Saint Petersburg's historic skyline from this monster.
And by the time the crisis has gone away, I hope they regain sanity and build it some kilometers away from the downtown. Exactly the way they did in Moscow.
Old November 5th, 2008, 11:31 PM   #234
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

has this design been released before he Dubai towers or after? Not that they copied each other.

This tower just looks like a lost boy from his family from Dubai.
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #235
Monkey9000
£€$$ is more

Likes (Received): 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloso View Post
This may be the only positive outcome of this crisis: saving Saint Petersburg's historic skyline from this monster.
And by the time the crisis has gone away, I hope they regain sanity and build it some kilometers away from the downtown. Exactly the way they did in Moscow.
How many kilometers would you be comfortable with? It is already 4km from the historic Rostrelli designed portion of the city. How big should a city be? How much sprawl should it have? To spread things out too far a city just becomes unsustainable after a certain point.

You also seem to be following the "stereotype" that this will destroy the city skyline. This is a very common misconception as it will not be visible from any of the key historic points and at points it is it is a very small dot. None of the images on this forum are the official visual impact analysis drawings produced by leading British and Russian surveyors, they are simply photoshopped images produced by people trying to argue their own misled opinion. Unfortunately I am unable to source these images at the moment, but I can assure you UNESCO and the city fathers have seen these and know your argument is a false one.

To add to the authenticity of my arguement I can reveal I am one of the original members of the tower design team. Currently I no longer work on the project hence my inability to source images.

And in response to the question is this a version of the Dancing Towers in Dubai? No. As far as I know the Ohkta Centre Tower design was released before the designs in Dubai. In the design team we had no knowledge of their existance but I believe the reality is they were both worked on around the same time. The Ohkta Centre is far more subtle in its design with the floorplates making one full rotation from bottom to top and the outer skin gently tracing this change. The Ohkta Centre is also related to the history of the site the floor plan originating from the Swedish fort previously located on the site. The Dubai effort looks like a design placed on the site with no relation to anything other than it seemed like a good idea.
Monkey9000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #236
Peloso

Likes (Received): 245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey9000 View Post
How many kilometers would you be comfortable with? It is already 4km from the historic Rostrelli designed portion of the city. How big should a city be? How much sprawl should it have? To spread things out too far a city just becomes unsustainable after a certain point.

You also seem to be following the "stereotype" that this will destroy the city skyline. This is a very common misconception as it will not be visible from any of the key historic points and at points it is it is a very small dot. None of the images on this forum are the official visual impact analysis drawings produced by leading British and Russian surveyors, they are simply photoshopped images produced by people trying to argue their own misled opinion. Unfortunately I am unable to source these images at the moment, but I can assure you UNESCO and the city fathers have seen these and know your argument is a false one.
You got to be crazy. How can a 400mt tower that's on the other bank of the Neva from the Smolny not destroy the skyline? In a city where in essence the totality of building are 25 meters high?
Quote:
To add to the authenticity of my arguement I can reveal I am one of the original members of the tower design team. Currently I no longer work on the project hence my inability to source images
I praise you for your honesty, but I also have to say this puts you out of any objective discussion.
Quote:
The Ohkta Centre is also related to the history of the site the floor plan originating from the Swedish fort previously located on the site.
Yes, it is "related" in the sense that it sits on the location of, and would destroy, an historic site that should be rightfully preserved.
Old November 6th, 2008, 07:01 PM   #237
Monkey9000
£€$$ is more

Quote:
You got to be crazy. How can a 400mt tower that's on the other bank of the Neva from the Smolny not destroy the skyline?
Ok I conceed from that point of view it is unavoidable it will have an impact. However, if you look at the history of Smolny it was originally intended to have a very tall bell tower, so even then height was not considered to have ill effect on the skyline. Smolny

However, this is purely from one point in the city, and does not really relate to the overall skyline. It will not effect views from the Winter Palace, or areas around this which is where most of the critisism is aimed at.
Old November 6th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #238
Monkey9000
£€$$ is more

Quote:
Yes, it is "related" in the sense that it sits on the location of, and would destroy, an historic site that should be rightfully preserved.
The majority of the remains of the historic battlement walls are already destroyed due to industrial developments created during the communist era. The objective is that for any existing remains will be preserved and restored as fully as possible.
Old November 6th, 2008, 08:30 PM   #239
B-Line

Beautifull

Hope to see more info soon, please
B-Line no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008, 10:31 PM   #240
Levin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
To all you skyscraper hungry retards. Think about the past! Part of assessing progress is how a nation can preserve its past! St. Petersburg deserves to grow but in a responsible manner. Why dont we go build the Burj Dubai in Lhasa? Because, it will ruin the culture and what the city has prided itself on. Gazprom and the Kremlin are the biggest crooks this planet has by far and goes to show that the people dont matter, only the powerful oligarchs of the Putin Era. This is why Russia will fail in developing. Oil is it's only means of power and without it goes its power, pride, and bullying of neighbors. I hope Ukraine can join the EU soon and be free from the Russian mafia. Stop the building is basically my point.
Who is the retard here? If you have anything to say get it right you moron! In the case of Ukraine it is their own leaders who is the mafia! They actually steal gas from Russia. The oligarchs ruled under the Jelzin era and Putin stoped them from ruin the country. And Russia have a diverse base for their economy but you are to ignorant to care for fact.
Levin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
europe, gazprom, saint petersburg, supertall