daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 10th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #281
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Protest over St. Petersburg Tower
October 10, 2009

About 3,000 people have rallied in St Petersburg against plans to build a huge skyscraper in Russia's former imperial capital.

Demonstrators voiced anger at the city council's decision to approve construction of the 400m (1,312 ft) Okhta Centre for the gas giant Gazprom.

rest of the article here,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8300737.stm
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #282
Peloso

Likes (Received): 245

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
[B]About 3,000 people have rallied in St Petersburg against plans to build a huge skyscraper in Russia's former imperial capital.
Demonstrators voiced anger at the city council's decision to approve construction of the 400m (1,312 ft) Okhta Centre for the gas giant Gazprom.
If I was there I'd take part in the demos as well. I hope the city council will come to its senses, it's not too late.
Old October 10th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #283
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10273

St Petersburg is such a beautiful city and this building is amazing, but together both lose their vibe. St Petersburg is a low-rise, majestic, monumental city and while the tower is majestic and monumental, it will stick out like a sore thumb. I hope the city council reconsiders but something tells me that whatever Gazprom wants, they'll get.
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2009, 07:41 PM   #284
Hightech Pro

Likes (Received): 21

Whats the point in not building skyscrapers? Paris is also a low rise city with a big highrise district. It fits well together.
Hightech Pro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #285
Gamma-Hamster
BANNED

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
Protest over St. Petersburg Tower
October 10, 2009

About 3,000 people have rallied in St Petersburg against plans to build a huge skyscraper in Russia's former imperial capital.

Were is a riot police when you need it?

I hoped those skyscraperophobes will get the crap beaten out of them by OMON.

Gamma-Hamster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #286
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6878

This isn't in a historic district, it's in some ugly Communist-style architectural district with what looks to be abandoned factories, which will look much better with this tower constructed. Therefore I have no problem with this tower. Just because one part of the city's historic, that doesn't mean the entire city including non-historic portions are off-limits to development.
BarbaricManchurian está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 01:16 AM   #287
Coinpeace

Likes (Received): 13

o wow i didnt realize that building a supertall would be violent
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMEQiI7wLEE Part 4 is up :) 550m|110fl

My Youtube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/coinpeace

my building is getting up there :)
Coinpeace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 05:02 AM   #288
Shortest Skyscraper

Likes (Received): 3

Are there available renders of how it would look from the Historic District?

- Aristotle
Shortest Skyscraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 06:17 AM   #289
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinpeace View Post
o wow i didnt realize that building a supertall would be violent
the problem is not in the tower itself, the problem is in mid-rise part of the complex. mid-rises in new version are too tall, making the complex looks like a wall on the skyline. The tower fits well, way much better than TV tower or old large soviet commieblock-hotels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortest Skyscraper View Post
Are there available renders of how it would look from the Historic District?
of course there are. especially those, already posted in this thread
Old October 11th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #290
Peloso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma-Hamster View Post
Were is a riot police when you need it?

I hoped those skyscraperophobes will get the crap beaten out of them by OMON.
Wouldn't surprise me, ignorance and violence always go hand in hand.
Old October 11th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #291
venom6

Likes (Received): 1302

Great project! So this will be the tallest one in Europe
Old October 11th, 2009, 08:16 PM   #292
Gamma-Hamster
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloso View Post
Wouldn't surprise me, ignorance and violence always go hand in hand.
Yeah, it's good that you mentioned ignorance. That describes protesters very well, most of them most likely haven't even saw the project.

And they know nothing about history of their city. Peter the Great build St. Petersburg as a symbol of Russia abandoning it's history and going into a european future. He aslo build it to show off and leave a monument to himself. Damn, he even named th city after himself.

And now those fools say that building the futuristic tower is a crime in a city build as a symbol of abandoning the history in order to modernise the country. How stupid is that?
Old October 11th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #293
Peloso

Quote:
Yeah, it's good that you mentioned ignorance. That describes protesters very well, most of them most likely haven't even saw the project. And they know nothing about history of their city.
So you polled all of them?
Quote:
Peter the Great build St. Petersburg as a symbol of Russia abandoning it's history and going into a european future.
European future, ok, but "he built St. Petersburg as a symbol of Russia abandoning its history?" My, you're ignorant
Quote:
He aslo build it to show off and leave a monument to himself. Damn, he even named th city after himself.
Yeah, he also drove a Ferrari and was a regular of "Metro" disco hall. And he went to learn shipbuilding in Saint Tropez, where he had his Rolex stolen.
Quote:
And now those fools say that building the futuristic tower is a crime in a city build as a symbol of abandoning the history in order to modernise the country. How stupid is that?
Building a tower that's totally out of scale and out of style with its surroundings is not modernization, it's just ignorance.
Old October 11th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #294
Gamma-Hamster
BANNED

Quote:
European future, ok, but "he built St. Petersburg as a symbol of Russia abandoning its history?" My, you're ignorant
Return when you have learned at least something about history of Russia under tsar Peter. Only one ignorant here is you.
Old October 11th, 2009, 09:23 PM   #295
Peloso

Quote:
Return when you have learned at least something about history of Russia under tsar Peter. Only one ignorant here is you.
I suppose you're no more than 18. Now listen, before you were born I had probably already read more about Piter and its architecture (Italian and not) than you have ever. If you wish I can give you a list of books to read. But somehow I think you're not interested.
Old October 11th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #296
Gamma-Hamster
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloso View Post
But somehow I think you're not interested.
I am not. If your books failed to explain to you Peter's attitude to Europe and Muscovy than those books were worthless.
Old October 13th, 2009, 01:24 AM   #297
Peloso

Jeez. "A symbol of Russia abandoning its history". Do you even realize how stupid and meaningless such a phrase is? By now it seems you don't. Say you wake up in the morning and you want to get rid of your own history. So what will you do? Get a facial plastic, fake documents, a new name, and move to a remote place? Kill yourself? I don't see more ways of achieving that.
Now did Peter the Great give up Russian language in favor of French or English? No he didn't, he just reformed orthography. Did he give up the Orthodox church for the Anglican, or Catholic one? No, he did not, although catholic influences made it into the Russian church. He reformed the church having people from Kiev (for those not in the know, Kiev is the very origin of Russia) come to lead it, and modify the rites, in order to take power away from Moscow boyars. Did he issue a "prikaz" ruling that Russia should be called "Eastern Europe" thereafter? No. He said "This is the Russian Empire".
Since Peter was no fool, he never went about saying he wanted to do away with "Russian history", as you pretend. To do away with Muscovy traditional powers and their habits, sure. To reform Russia profoundly, sure.

But then again, what has all of it got to do with the abortion of a 400 mt. tower directly facing centuries-old buildings? Are you implying that Gazprom is bringing about a great reformation of Russia? That Miller should be made Tsar, and let to decide what foreign architects should design the new general plan of Piter?
Frankly, the only reason why anyone could come up with such a demented project is to wound Petersburg, or at least vampirize it. Otherwise, why build the tower so close to the historic heritage? Where is the advantage? They could have it built on Moskovsky prospekt, Or Tallinskoye shosse, close to the ring road and the airport, and it would be 100 times more convenient for the Gazprom executives. But no, what they want is the tower to be visible from the downtown, and to be shown in photos and postcards on the background of Peter and Paul's fortress or St. Isaac or Smolny - and it will be VERY visible, as can easily be proven. This is also why they are not giving up, in spite of the public outrage (I believe a 3000-strong demo against a single building is a first in European history).

BTW, this is exactly the same malady (just a bit less atrocious in its symptoms) that has struck Makkah, where some crackpots swimming in oil (hmm...) built that huge carbuncle towering over the Kaaba's mosque just to make a statement and create a "luxury style of pilgrimage" in opposition to the "regular" one.
Now this is called i-g-n-o-r-a-n-c-e.
So this is the situation now, Petersburg's historic heritage is in the hands of Gazprom and Gamma Hamsters. This has nothing to do with Peter the Great and all to do with New Russians, Eltsin era-style.

In the article linked below you can read what educated people, like a Russian Academy of Sciences' eminent member, think of the monster:
http://observers.france24.com/en/con...rg-okhta-tower

Also take a look at what people from St. Petersburg opine on the nonsensical stick:
http://en.rian.ru/russia/20091009/156413351.html
Old October 13th, 2009, 03:59 AM   #298
Gamma-Hamster
BANNED

Just as i expected, knowledge of history close to zero, zero respect towards different opinion, hysteric bullshit instead of proper arguments, etc.

Very typical of skyscraperophobes. Well, tower is aproved, common sense prevailed.

Skyscraperophobes can go suck farm animals testicles
Old October 16th, 2009, 03:36 AM   #299
Cristobal_illo
iPhone lover!

Likes (Received): 27

According to the previous images, the Okhta Center is U/C or Prep.
Old October 16th, 2009, 09:58 AM   #300
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristobal_illo View Post
According to the previous images, the Okhta Center is U/C or Prep.
archaeological excavations

Tags
europe, gazprom, saint petersburg, supertall