daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 19th, 2010, 05:39 PM   #381
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2612

These "convenient" shots show an area urgently in need of redevelopment, and an area that is a far greater stain on the inner city of St. Petersburg than even the ugliest skyscraper could be (one of which this one is not).

On a sidenote, I always love it when keyboard warriors go around accusing others of idiocy and ignorance yet are all too ready to display that they are indeed the party most guilty of either. In this case, the lack of knowledge and understanding of the dynamics between historical and modern architecture on display is saddening to see. There are decades of experience in the field of aesthetic and functional interaction between historical city centers and modern skyscrapers. This is not something new. This is something that has been done before, in many cities. To pretend that this is some sort of unique case and that there is no precedent is just baffling, to say the least.

But that's the internet I suppose. "People don't know diddly but keep on talking nevertheless..."
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2010, 05:40 PM   #382
Spocket

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloso View Post
Well, what to say other than the objections by the "friends of the progress" to the so-called "skyscraperophobes" (like me, see I'm in a skyscraper forum but I hate towers of course) were already discussed zillions of times not only in this thread, but in way more knowledgeable circles? This is well into idiocy territory already. People don't know sh** about St. Petersburg's architecture but keep on talking nevertheless.
@ Droneriot: these pics were all conveniently shot in an eastward direction, without showing what's a few dozens of meters this side of the river. But then, with a 400 meters tower, how can even the landscape that's 5 kilometers away not be affected? Oh well. I'm so tired.
I don't really have to know anything about St. Petersburg's architecture to make a comment on the building .
All the same , let me "talk some sh!t" at you in that case .
What have you got sitting on the site right now ? Nothing .
How does this destroy the beautiful city of St. Petersburg ?
Have you ever actually spent any time in a city with a super-tall ? If you have then you KNOW that they don't impose in the least just by being tall . It's all about the street-level and from what I can see of the renderings , this building is an absolute gem .
This doesn't detract in the least from St. Petersburg's skyline any more than the Eiffel tower detracts from Paris' skyline , the Empire State Building detracts from New York's skyline , or the Ostankino tower detracts from Moscow's skyline .

Just because a building is tall doesn't make it somehow less good from any standpoint . This is a beautiful building . Make it a concrete bunker on the bottom and sure ,... it would be no good . That's not what they're planning though .
Spocket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2010, 05:47 PM   #383
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Have you ever actually spent any time in a city with a super-tall? If you have then you KNOW that they don't impose in the least just by being tall.
Yep, exactly. Judging by his appearance here Peloso has a complete lack of understanding of how skyscrapers integrate into the cityscape in real life, seen from ground level (rather than aerial renders or pictures).
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2010, 08:13 PM   #384
Peloso

Likes (Received): 245

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
Yep, exactly. Judging by his appearance here Peloso has a complete lack of understanding of how skyscrapers integrate into the cityscape in real life, seen from ground level (rather than aerial renders or pictures).
How old are you?14? Do you realize the problem is exactly at street level because of the height relative to the peculiar landscape of St. Petersburg? Do you realize that this stuff has already been debated here? No you don't, because all you care about is opening your mouth to let the world know how smart you are.
Old July 19th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #385
Star2007

Likes (Received): 340

If you want to know more about Okhta-Center and Saint-Petersburg, I strongly recommend to look this film (in English, 22 min).
Star2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2010, 10:38 PM   #386
Spocket

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloso View Post
How old are you?14? Do you realize the problem is exactly at street level because of the height relative to the peculiar landscape of St. Petersburg? Do you realize that this stuff has already been debated here? No you don't, because all you care about is opening your mouth to let the world know how smart you are.
So you're an expert on walking around St. Petersburg ?
Why didn't you say so ? Let's cut the height in half then . Tell me what the difference is . As a citizen of the world who has clearly spent countless months and perhaps years studying the St. Petersburg skyline , tell me what difference it makes if this building is 400 meters or 100 meters. It seems to me that if the main objection is height , in a city like St. Petersburg anything above 10 storeys is going to have a "negative" impact on the skyline . That's just NIMBYism which is why we're so dismissive of your stance here .
Actually , with the tower being nearly 400 meters , it becomes an instant icon since it would be virtually the only major tall building of note in the entire city . It could be a radio transmission tower and with the right colour of paint it would add a certain je ne sais quoi to an otherwise generally flat skyline .

Yes , St. P has beautiful buildings and architecture . I've never been there but I've seen enough pictures to appreciate the city's artful assembly of design . What I don't understand and , frankly , never will , is how the Okhta Center could be anything but yet another fabulous addition BECAUSE it is so tall and beautiful . I'd take this over the Eiffel tower which is arguably the world's most iconic tower .

Oh , and by the way : The topics been covered ? Oh well ... looks like we're DOING IT AGAIN . Get over it .
Spocket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2010, 10:46 PM   #387
Star2007

90-meter office complex of "Bank of Saint-Petersburg" (U/C) which situated nearby Okhta-Center (about 1 km):

Henrich37 liked this post
Old July 25th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #388
Star2007

by Nevebend

Link to original post (Russian)
Old August 19th, 2010, 04:53 PM   #389
novaguy
novaguy

Likes (Received): 19

That 20minute video was very interesting,I hope this tower gets built.
novaguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 09:25 PM   #390
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

Likes (Received): 2829

St Petersburg Tower cleared for Arabtec

By Reuters | Published Monday, October 11, 2010

St Petersburg tower cleared for building by Arabtec. (FILE)

Gazprom said it has been cleared by Russian authorities to build a tower in the historic heart of St Petersburg despite a wide campaign to defend the unique skyline of Russia's second-biggest city.
"
According to a conclusion by GlavGosExperetiza (the Russian state appraisals department), the project's documentation complies with all requirements and standards," a Gazprom unit in charge of the construction said in a statement.

The UN cultural organisation Unesco earlier warned Russia it could exclude St Petersburg from its list of world heritage sites if the tower is built, as it would dominate the canals and baroque houses of the city founded by Tsar Peter the Great in 1703 as Russia's window on Europe.

Dubai's Arabtec Holding, which won the contract to build the first stage of the tower in April 2008, saw its shares rally on the news.

Construction is expected to begin in spring 2011 and finish in 2016.

Emirates 24|7
Old October 16th, 2010, 05:41 AM   #391
celatus
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
The UN cultural organisation Unesco earlier warned Russia it could exclude St Petersburg from its list of world heritage sites if the tower is built
What a bizarre threat. Look at the UNESCO world heritage sites in Google Earth and you will see plenty of examples of historic places "in the shadow of modern high rises". For example, Maritime Greenwich and the Tower of London which are in plain view of the Canary Warf complex. In the context of existing UNESCO world heritage sites, the Okhta Center is far from the historic center and related monuments.
celatus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2010, 02:34 AM   #392
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

What's the general feeling in St. Petersburg at the moment anyway? I mean, are the majority of people in the city for or against this tower being built??
Old October 20th, 2010, 10:37 PM   #393
Star2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parisian Girl View Post
What's the general feeling in St. Petersburg at the moment anyway? I mean, are the majority of people in the city for or against this tower being built??
I think the general feeling is indifference It's not so global problem or a matter of life or death for normal citizens
Old October 21st, 2010, 07:02 AM   #394
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloserToTheSky View Post
Yes, but the opinion of people means nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star2007
I think the general feeling is indifference It's not so global problem or a matter of life or death for normal citizens
I take it they're going to build it then!
Old October 21st, 2010, 08:02 AM   #395
Vandoren

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
I have many friends in St.Petersburg and all of them are against this ugly corn-building.BTW,do you like Montparnasse tower?
Vandoren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 12:51 AM   #396
Parisian Girl
MONACO _ Côte d'Azur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandoren View Post
I have many friends in St.Petersburg and all of them are against this ugly corn-building.BTW,do you like Montparnasse tower?
Well, I'm not surprised to hear that. IMO, St. Petersburg is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, the jewel of Russia, so it's a little worrying as to what this tower may do to the skyline of the city. It could easily be built in Moscow, or in several other cities no problem, but I'm not so sure about St. Petersburg..

As for Tour Montparnasse, no not really. I've never really liked that building if I'm being totally honest. It's pretty dull and not very interesting. It looks out of place. Most people I know in Paris/France don't like it much either. If it was demolished tomorrow I don't think too many people would complain about it. Probably the best thing about this building is that you can take great photos of the city from the top.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 06:15 AM   #397
Botswana

Likes (Received): 30

This tower is beautiful, but it doesn't belong in St. Petersburg. The rest of Russia sacrificed the beautiful historic districts of its cities to build huge skyscrapers and towers, they should leave St. Petersburg be. It's such a gorgeous city, and this tower would just ruin it, because it would look like a lone, ugly sore thumb protruding from a beautiful historic center. What they should do is tear down all those hideous commie blocks and build some more historic buildings.

This has been done in many other places. As mentioned, Tour Montparnasse in Paris is such an ugly eyesore, and this will be too, because St. Petersburg has no real "skyline", like Moscow. Why must these annoying modernists always destroy so much history and beauty? Build skyscrapers somewhere else, or at least build it in the suburbs or something. This is akin to building a skyscraper in the historic part of Venice or Prague. Terrible.
Botswana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 07:08 AM   #398
celatus
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
ugly sore thumb protruding from a beautiful historic center
The tower location is on the east bank of the Neva opposite the Smolny Convent. That is not the historic center but the eastern end of the city, which does not have a sprawling North American layout. This fuss about the tower seems to come from some sort of obsession with an empty horizon. If you stood in the Winter Palace Square you would not be able to see this building since it is over 5 km away. All those historic buildings would be blocking your view.

There are low rise eyesores like Petrovsky Fort (near Peter and Paul Fortress) that don't get so much attention. St. Petersburg is not a museum piece that needs to be frozen in time.
celatus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 09:38 PM   #399
Botswana

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by celatus View Post
St. Petersburg is not a museum piece that needs to be frozen in time.
No, but it shouldn't be ruined by post-modern architecture either. I still think it would look silly as the only skyscraper in St. Petersburg. If they want, they could build a designated downtown business area like La Defense or the one in Amsterdam, maybe a little ways out of the city?

We're destroying far too much beautiful old architecture to make room for new, modern abominations. However, I do like the design of the Ohkta Center though.
Botswana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 07:12 AM   #400
Vandoren

Likes (Received): 69

I like your point of view,exept this part.

Quote:
It could easily be built in Moscow....
Vandoren no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
europe, gazprom, saint petersburg, supertall