daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 17th, 2006, 09:16 PM   #1
globetrekker

Likes (Received): 0

YYZ/YTZ/YHM | Toronto Area Airports

Hey there!

I was looking over some facts, figures and pictures of YYZ and I began thinking about the end product of the airports redevelopment plan. Once finished, it will handle a capacity of 50 million passengers a year. The plan for T1 is to have it extend across where all of Terminal 2 now sits. So once they do extend the airport that far, they would have built their terminal capable of handling 50 million passengers.

But what happens beyond that when the number of passengers continue to grow?

Forgetting the Pickering proposal, do you believe that there will still be enough land at the current YYZ to build another terminal or a satellite? If I knew how to post pictures in here, I would attach a recent aerial shot of the airport. I believe that a new terminal could be built at the north(north/east) end of the airport - north of runway 23 (check out the airport on Google maps to see what I'm talking about.) Even with a terminal there, they would still have room to build their sixth runway. What do you think?

At this point, I would like to see them get innovative and create something that can accommodate more passengers instead of opening up a new airport or sending planes to Hamilton. For example, a cluster of small to mid-sized, modern satellites above but check-in would be underground so not to use up space above ground. What are your ideas?
globetrekker no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 17th, 2006, 09:39 PM   #2
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Well the infield area could be turned into a large satellite terminal. It's perfectly doable (and it's done in many MANY places. And then north of T3, you could stick another terminal.
I think, though, it will be many years before 50 million passengers are reached.
Btw, I read eventually T3 will be incorporated into T1, making the capacity around 65+ million.
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 01:37 AM   #3
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
Well the infield area could be turned into a large satellite terminal. It's perfectly doable (and it's done in many MANY places. And then north of T3, you could stick another terminal.
I think, though, it will be many years before 50 million passengers are reached.
Btw, I read eventually T3 will be incorporated into T1, making the capacity around 65+ million.
I heard the same thing about T3 being attached to T1 in the future. You're right about the Infield Terminal too being used possibly as a legitimate satellite terminal. If that's the case they should do the same as Atlanta and build a "subway-like" system from the main terminal to the satellites.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 01:45 AM   #4
nitzomoe
Scarebarian

Likes (Received): 1

Originally i saw on the GTAA website that after completing the U, they would eventuall tare down Terminal 3 and extend the U into a J. Dunno whether thats still on the table.
nitzomoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 06:57 AM   #5
globetrekker

Has there been any progress with the Pickering plans? Here's hoping not...
Old December 20th, 2006, 12:17 AM   #6
p5archit

I believe there is enough space for the airport to expand once they complete the T1 building completely. As was stated in a previous post, I believe the plan was to take down T3 and replace it with an extension of T1- while also adding an additional arm to where T2 now stands.

However, that said it will probably be quite some time before we see the Terminal reach capacity and therefore we/they should have ample time to think up various additional capacity scenarios, not including the Pickering plan-

p5
Old January 25th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #7
harisadoo

what do you do ? .
Old January 26th, 2007, 08:45 AM   #8
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

they would never tear down the T3, it's way too big of a hassel for the GTAA.

if it comes to the point where both the newly built T1 and upgraded T3 can no longer handel the passenger load (which would be in around 40 years), then the GTAA would probabley convert current cargo terminal into another passanger terminal and connect it to the current infield terminal. Then they would probabley force Air Canada out of the current Air Canada cargos and demolish the Air Canada Vehicle repair shop to make that facility plus maybe the 3 bay hanger a huge cargo facility.
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 06:06 AM   #9
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

And don't forget about Pickering as an alternate airport. T3 is pretty efficient, I don't think it'll get torn down. And the monorail system links the terminals already, I guess they could do that with the IFT in the future.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2007, 07:29 AM   #10
nitzomoe
Scarebarian

they did pay $800 million to purchase terminal 3 from the private developers so at the very least it should be awhile before they have the cash to tear in down.
Old January 29th, 2007, 07:03 AM   #11
globetrekker

Did anyone else catch the mention of a highspeed train connecting YYZ to the downtown core on the news tonight?

In other news, Toronto's Pearson International Airport Web site has been updated. It looks great! I'm loving what the GTAA is doing so far - in general!
Old January 29th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #12
spongeg

Likes (Received): 1730

a train would make sense
canada's major city and airport and no good transit
spongeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 07:17 AM   #13
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Well I know there's a lot of political opposition to it from councillors in its path - though I do hope that rail link materializes, it would rock my sox!
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #14
TObermuda37
Canadian in Bermuda

A bit off topic but it looks like Transaero has applied and received permission to fly St. Petersburg - Toronto - St. Petersburg (as in Russia not Florida). They have also amended their license to fly Moscow - Toronto - Montreal - Toronto - Moscow and Moscow - Montreal - Toronto - Montreal - Moscow.

Since the last time they applied and received permission for the Toronto route, they acted pretty fast and started the route. Here is the link: http://www.cta-otc.gc.ca/rulings-dec...-A-2007_e.html
TObermuda37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 12:34 AM   #15
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObermuda37 View Post
A bit off topic but it looks like Transaero has applied and received permission to fly St. Petersburg - Toronto - St. Petersburg (as in Russia not Florida). They have also amended their license to fly Moscow - Toronto - Montreal - Toronto - Moscow and Moscow - Montreal - Toronto - Montreal - Moscow.

Since the last time they applied and received permission for the Toronto route, they acted pretty fast and started the route. Here is the link: http://www.cta-otc.gc.ca/rulings-dec...-A-2007_e.html
That's awesome news! I think we're going to see some great new routes this year.
Old January 30th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #16
TObermuda37
Canadian in Bermuda

Now that the GTAA website has changed, here is the link to the charges for airlines. Lets do some crunching to determine the final numbers cause in stories today on the CBC, they are saying that the GTAA disputes the most expensive claim.

http://www.gtaa.com/local/files/en/RatesandCharges.pdf
Old January 31st, 2007, 06:39 AM   #17
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

With the closure of Terminal 2, I was wondering what they would do with the numbering system now. Will they rechristen T3 to the new T2? If not, I think they should just label the second half of T1 that will be built on the site of T2 as Terminal 2. There are several examples of terminals being given separate labels despite being the same physical building.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 07:19 AM   #18
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
With the closure of Terminal 2, I was wondering what they would do with the numbering system now. Will they rechristen T3 to the new T2? If not, I think they should just label the second half of T1 that will be built on the site of T2 as Terminal 2. There are several examples of terminals being given separate labels despite being the same physical building.
My understanding is they're not screwing around with the terminal numbers. Not yet anyway. I think the longterm master plan is to join T1 and T3 anyway so eventually it will just be one massive terminal with several piers.
Old January 31st, 2007, 06:00 PM   #19
TObermuda37
Canadian in Bermuda

Looks like bright things are happening in the aviation industry within Canada. According to this article (http://sev.prnewswire.com/airlines-a...012007-1.html), Canada is leading aviation growth in the America's. This will certainly translate to more flights to Pearson especially international flights. Domesticaly we are not hurting either. Looks like it will be a great year.

Cheers.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 08:11 PM   #20
nitzomoe
Scarebarian

just an update from airliners.net. seems like Etihad will be flying 6 times weekly from august 7, flights are slated to be twice every teusday/thursday/saturday. One flight will be direct in the morning at 10 using an a340 and the usual later flight at 12:05 am using an a332. you can confirm yourselves through the etihad portal.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto