daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 6th, 2011, 04:28 AM   #2101
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 849

The old Terminal 2 in Pearson Airport had passed in late 2008, but its parking garage remains. Why did this occur?

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2011, 04:59 AM   #2102
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
The old Terminal 2 in Pearson Airport had passed in late 2008, but its parking garage remains. Why did this occur?
The old T2 parking garage was used for GTAA employee parking for a couple of years....but it is now demolished....employees now use the new multilevel carkpark across Airport Rd..
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #2103
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

How frequent is YYZ-ICN flight (both AC and KE)? Is it daily?
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 06:15 PM   #2104
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
How frequent is YYZ-ICN flight (both AC and KE)? Is it daily?
KE is daily right now but is reducing to 5 weekly (I believe) for the winter. AC is via YVR but is not daily. Also 5 weekly right now I think.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 06:38 PM   #2105
ACT7

Not really news about YYZ as such, but it seems like a few airlines have bypassed (snubbed??) Pearson this year for smaller markets. Considering airport paz growth out west has been completely flat this year, this is an interesting announcement from Virgin Atlantic...

http://www.vancouversun.com/business...015/story.html

Virgin Atlantic to offer direct flights between Vancouver and London

New service expected to generate $54 million in tourism revenue for Vancouver annually

By Brian Morton, Vancouver Sun November 5, 2011

Virgin Atlantic is entering the Canadian market next summer with scheduled non-stop direct flights between London’s Heathrow Airport and Vancouver.

The new service, which will run four times a week from May 24th to Oct. 25th, is expected to give a $54-million boost to Vancouver’s tourism revenue annually and may also be expanded to an all-year service at a future date.

Vancouver will be the only Canadian destination for the U.K.-based airline, which offered a brief service to Toronto over a decade ago. However, that was cancelled following the 9/11 terrorist attack in the U.S.

“We’ll start with four [flights a week] and see how it builds up,” Steve Ridgway, CEO Virgin Atlantic Airways, said in an interview Friday. “We’re always looking for opportunities to grow [and] we want a market with a strong business component and a strong leisure component.”

Ridgway said that Vancouver is a market Virgin has eyed for years, and that it’s an attractive destination for U.K. travellers. “[It] will be seasonal, but we’d like to make it year-round.”

Ridgway noted that the U.K. has strong historical links and that is the largest overseas market to B.C.

“We’re also looking to persuade Canadian business travellers going to London.”

According to Virgin, the new service will use the Airbus A340-300 and increase capacity from Heathrow Airport in London to Vancouver by around 10 per cent, while generating $54 million in tourism revenue for Vancouver each year.

It also said that the U.K. is the fourth largest immigrant base in Vancouver and flights will be on sale starting Dec. 1.

Ridgway said Virgin will do well against its main competition, British Airways and Air Canada.

“We have a big following in the U.K. and lots of repeat customers.”

He noted that the timing is right, with London hosting the summer Olympics next year and Queen Elizabeth’s diamond jubilee will also be celebrated.

Tony Gugliotta, senior vice-president of marketing and business development at the Vancouver Airport Authority said the new Virgin service is a great development for the airport, which will see about 40,000 additional passengers a year.

“It’s a world-class airline with a tremendous reputation. We feel it will create about 50 jobs a year, about $3 million in wages.”

Gugliotta said it’s a significant investment by Virgin at a time when many airlines are cutting capacity because of difficult economic times.

[email protected]

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
Old November 6th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #2106
krnboy1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
KE is daily right now but is reducing to 5 weekly (I believe) for the winter. AC is via YVR but is not daily. Also 5 weekly right now I think.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Isnt KE also via Vancouver? At least some of them? I think they run one Nonstop flight.
Old November 6th, 2011, 09:52 PM   #2107
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Don't quote me, but I believe KE is doing a 6-weekly flight to ICN from YVR.

Great news about Virgin Atlantic. Richard Branson has announced VXs intentions years ago... YVR-LHR is practically YVRs only popular European route and most flights, at least ACs, are always full (no chance of using your ecredits to upgrade for sure).
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 10:51 PM   #2108
ACT7

Quote:
Isnt KE also via Vancouver? At least some of them? I think they run one Nonstop flight.
No KE is non-stop to YYZ. Both YYZ and YVR will see 5 weekly rotation from KE during for the winter schedule.
Old November 7th, 2011, 05:44 AM   #2109
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

ACT7 is correct.....all KE pax flights to YYZ are nonstop, and have been for many years now....

The VS service to YVR will be seasonal only (summers only)...for now...

Qatar Cargo are operating their inaugural freighter flight into YYZ tonight....it's being operated by A7-BFA, and is currently enroute...scheduled arrival time is 0200....with an 0420 departure....not the greatest times for spotting.....
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 06:07 AM   #2110
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1041

^ Rwy 23?
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 06:12 AM   #2111
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
What are the chances of seeing their A380 at YYZ? I bet it's a long shot.
Old November 7th, 2011, 06:12 AM   #2112
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Great news about Virgin Atlantic. Richard Branson has announced VXs intentions years ago... YVR-LHR is practically YVRs only popular European route and most flights, at least ACs, are always full (no chance of using your ecredits to upgrade for sure).
Still, an interesting decision as its first Canadian destination since 9/11considering pax numbers between YVR and LHR are half that of the YYZ-LHR pairing.
Old November 7th, 2011, 07:22 AM   #2113
krnboy1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
What are the chances of seeing their A380 at YYZ? I bet it's a long shot.
Will never happen, route isnt busy enough.

Tokyo Narita, New York JFK, LAX, Paris, Hong Kong and Bangkok.

Last edited by krnboy1009; November 7th, 2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old November 7th, 2011, 07:47 AM   #2114
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Still, an interesting decision as its first Canadian destination since 9/11considering pax numbers between YVR and LHR are half that of the YYZ-LHR pairing.
Well while the demand for LHR at YVR might be half of that of YYZ, one needs to factor supply into the equation. AC only has one flight to LHR from YVR whereas there are 3 flights from YYZ. Also keep in mind, YVR has pretty dismal European service unlike YYZ which has an immensely wider selection of flights.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 08:10 AM   #2115
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Well while the demand for LHR at YVR might be half of that of YYZ, one needs to factor supply into the equation. AC only has one flight to LHR from YVR whereas there are 3 flights from YYZ. Also keep in mind, YVR has pretty dismal European service unlike YYZ which has an immensely wider selection of flights.
True, but it's surprising that neither AC nor BA have never capitalized on that.
Small correction too - AC operates 4 daily flights to LHR from YYZ. BA has 2.
Old November 8th, 2011, 05:58 PM   #2116
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Will never happen, route isnt busy enough.

Tokyo Narita, New York JFK, LAX, Paris, Hong Kong and Bangkok.
yEAH.... I think may have a better chance with Air France.
Old November 8th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #2117
krnboy1009

Well I shouldnt say never, theres a lot of Korean expats in Toronto.
Old November 10th, 2011, 06:25 AM   #2118
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

^True, but I can just imagine 3-30pm Emirates arriving and than A380 from Air France. That would be pretty sweet. You could catch two of them in one hour time frame.

Btw It's off topic a bit, but Lufthansa is halting Calgary..... I guess BA/KLM steered them in the ditch.
Old November 10th, 2011, 05:36 PM   #2119
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
^True, but I can just imagine 3-30pm Emirates arriving and than A380 from Air France. That would be pretty sweet. You could catch two of them in one hour time frame.

Btw It's off topic a bit, but Lufthansa is halting Calgary..... I guess BA/KLM steered them in the ditch.
Int'l traffic is quite a bit down at YYC. I don't think it LH's withdrawal has anything to do with BA or KLM. They went into the Calgary market when things were going well but it's not a big enough market to support that many foreign carriers right now. Maybe sometime...
Old November 10th, 2011, 07:31 PM   #2120
krnboy1009

I think Korean Air used to fly out to YYC. Yea I didnt think that would last.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto