daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 11th, 2007, 06:21 PM   #201
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Some more/extra service for YYZ in the coming months:

1) Plans daily service ---an article from the United Arab Emirates says that the launch in October 2005 of the Abu Dhabi-Brussels-Toronto route was very successful and averaged an 80 per cent load factor. That is why the airline decided to split the route into two separate aircraft and is now flying Abu Dhabi-Toronto non-stop three times per week. Furthermore, in order to strengthen its global network of flights Etihad will increase to daily the frequency of both destinations once it has gained the necessary government approvals. (see below) James Hogan, Etihad Airways' chief executive said, "In order to compete with the world's best airlines it is vital that Etihad offers non-stop flights to the world's top destinations." A delegation of senior Etihad management, including James Hogan, Wayne Pearce, EVP strategy and planning, and Khaled Al Mehairbi, VP government and international affairs travelled to Toronto on the inaugural non-stop flight. The delegation will be attending the World Air Transport Summit and the IATA annual general meeting in Vancouver from June 3 to 5.

2) Korea Increase ---Air Canada has applied to the Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA) for approval to provide additional capacity between Canada and Korea from July 1 to October 27, 2007. The airline is asking for three flights per week Toronto-Seoul in addition to daily Vancouver-Seoul using Airbus A340 aircraft. The CTA has granted the request for three additional flights per week for the peak summer season.

3) Canada-UAE Agreement ---the existing agreement between Canada and the United Arab Emirates has seen Emirates Airlines designated as a carrier from the U.A.E. as of April 5, 2007. At this point, Air Canada is the only carrier designated from Canada to serve the U.A.E. With the announcement from Etihad Airways (see above) indicating their desire to go daily to Toronto and the recent announcement by Emirates of start up of Toronto service their is widespread speculation that a new "open skies" agreement may be signed later this summer or fall to facilitate more frequency. It is not inconceivable to suggest that once such an agreement is in place that we could see both carriers flying daily between Toronto and the U.A.E. The United Arab Emirates currently has signed 85 air service agreements with other governments and 30 bilateral agreements. The majority are "open skies" agreements allowing unlimited access to U.A.E. airports.

4) Qatar Wants Agreement --media reports from Qatar indicate that Qatar Airlines is anxious to have a new air services agreement negotiated with Canada. This would allow Qatar Airlines to begin service to Canada connecting their home airport of Doha directly. Qatar is growing their fleet rapidly and just recently placed a large order for the new Airbus A350XWB aircraft.

5) Schedule Announced ---in a press release seen in Financial Post dated May 30, 2007 JetAirways (India) Ltd. announced that they will begin five flights per week from Toronto to New Delhi via Brussels commencing on August 23rd. The Indian carrier aims to deliver daily service by the end of October as part of a major push into North America, said Abraham Joseph, a senior general manager for the airline. "We had Canada in mind ever since we got permission to fly overseas," Mr. Joseph said. "We have a market here with a lot of people travelling to India on business or for vacation. We are hoping to capture a good market share of this traffic." Jet Airways hopes that it will be able to leverage its vast domestic network with its international flights to connect people to other Indian cities such as Kochi, Chennai, and Bangalore. In addition, because another flight to Mumbai from Newark arrives at the hub in Brussels at the same time as the Toronto flight, the airline hopes it will increase capacity on both flights by allowing passengers to transfer to the other destination. The airline plans to add six North American destinations by September, including Toronto. Airbus A330-200 aircraft will be used on the new Toronto route with arriving flights in at 1205hrs and departures at 2015hrs in the evening. The Amadeus web site now shows these flights operating effective September 1st with the westbound flight number called (9W226) and the eastbound flight (9W225). Flights are planned daily, except for Tuesday and Wednesday.

6) Ocean Airlines S.p.A. (VC/VCX)
Licence Application ---has applied to the CTA for a licence to operate a non-scheduled international service to transport goods on a charter basis between points in Italy and points in Canada. The CTA has issued the necessary licence documentation to the carrier.

YYZ is definitely on the move!
Not to nitpick but looks like you've just copied off the yyz news website http://www.yyznews.com/Jun.html .
Common practice is to provide the source of your information... through a link or other.
Makes it easier to separate facts and the rumours and to give proper credit.

1. Link to actual article from Arabian Business.com http://www.arabianbusiness.com/index...ticle&id=13867

3. As posted by me in reply #141 http://www.cta-otc.gc.ca/air-aerien/...emirate_e.html

5. Actual schedule is in Amadeus now, with service starting Sept. 1/07
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #202
globetrekker

Likes (Received): 0

So how do you all feel about the train connection between Pearson and Union Station finally being "a go" via the MoveOntario 2020; a $17.5 billion rapid transit plan? I for one am hella excited!
globetrekker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 06:59 PM   #203
monkeyronin
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґơɲiɲ

Likes (Received): 876

Eglinton LRT should also be connecting to Pearson.
monkeyronin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 09:53 PM   #204
nitzomoe
Scarebarian

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker View Post
So how do you all feel about the train connection between Pearson and Union Station finally being "a go" via the MoveOntario 2020; a $17.5 billion rapid transit plan? I for one am hella excited!
this is just election promises, I dont beleive half the stuff included in the plan will come to fruition or should in the first place. Especially the yonge street subway extension- that came from nowhere.
nitzomoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2007, 12:36 AM   #205
yyzhyd

I would love any train connection to YYZ...
Union Station to Pearson
Eglinton LRT

Election promises for sure but it's going to be hard to kill these no matter who's in power.
Investment in Transit has been virtually non-existent for too many years... good on McGuinty for finally stepping up.
Harper better get his ass in gear and come up with the remaining 33% funding.
Old June 17th, 2007, 04:37 AM   #206
k.r.eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzomoe View Post
this is just election promises, I dont beleive half the stuff included in the plan will come to fruition or should in the first place. Especially the yonge street subway extension- that came from nowhere.
I'm with Nitzomoe. Remember the Rae to Harris transition? Eglinton and the proposed future link to the airport was scrapped as soon as the provincial government changed. Wouldn't hold my breath until I see shovels in the ground (and even then, the Eglinton line was still cancelled).
k.r.eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2007, 06:37 AM   #207
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Emirates, one of the world’s most successful and fastest-growing international airlines

Umm, its easy to be a successful and fast growing airline when you have never ending financial resources behind you... and not to mention operate with government backing...
Old June 17th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #208
TORONTOCOPENHAGEN

Likes (Received): 6

I have to agree with EK 413.

I am not impressed with Emirates in any way. Unlike the European carriers, they recieve state subsidies en masse....

P
Albania Austria Belgium Bosnia Botswana Cambodia Canada China Costa Rica the Czech Republic Croatia Denmark France Germany Ghana Greece India Iraq Italy Japan Kashmir Kosova Laos Liberia Macedonia Malaysia Mexico Montenegro Morocco Mozambique the Netherlands Norway Pakistan Portugal Singapore South Africa South Korea Spain Sri Lanka Sweden Switzerland Syria Thailand Tunesia Turkey the United Kingdom the United States of America Uzbekistan Vietnam Yemen Zambia Zimbabwe
TORONTOCOPENHAGEN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #209
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORONTOCOPENHAGEN View Post
I have to agree with EK 413.

I am not impressed with Emirates in any way. Unlike the European carriers, they recieve state subsidies en masse....

P
Plenty of national carriers get government backing. Didn't Canadian Airlines receive a lot of government money before they were finally gobbled up into Air Canada?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2007, 06:00 PM   #210
TORONTOCOPENHAGEN

I said European....

See the article 87 of the EC Treaty (former article 92).

P
Albania Austria Belgium Bosnia Botswana Cambodia Canada China Costa Rica the Czech Republic Croatia Denmark France Germany Ghana Greece India Iraq Italy Japan Kashmir Kosova Laos Liberia Macedonia Malaysia Mexico Montenegro Morocco Mozambique the Netherlands Norway Pakistan Portugal Singapore South Africa South Korea Spain Sri Lanka Sweden Switzerland Syria Thailand Tunesia Turkey the United Kingdom the United States of America Uzbekistan Vietnam Yemen Zambia Zimbabwe
Old June 17th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #211
yyzhyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by EK413 View Post
Umm, its easy to be a successful and fast growing airline when you have never ending financial resources behind you... and not to mention operate with government backing...
Sorry to burst your bubble about Emirates...they have run a strong business and it's sour grapes to complain about non-existent government subsidies.
It is true that the airline was setup using government money and helped with their initial set of aircraft. However over the last 10 years they have employed a very aggressive growth plan. Initially when they were negotiating bi-lateral agreements, countries didn't think EK was a threat because of Dubai's location in the Middle East and definitely didn't think there would be any substantial traffic to Dubai.
Well a concerted effort to transform Dubai from a sleepy trading village to an adult's playground and shopper's paradise has worked, and now people go just to visit Dubai as well as using DXB as a transit point. Their brand is VERY strong even in countries like Canada where have not served (until Oct/07) due to their excellent marketing programs worldwide.
Dubai doesn't have a lot of oil reserves so the "never ending" financial resource argument for Emirates doesn't wash, they are self-sufficient at this point.

I'm not the biggest fan of their capacity dumping techniques as seen in Australia but their service is excellent and would choose them over any of the European carriers.
Old June 17th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #212
TORONTOCOPENHAGEN

I'm sure they are a great airline.

Nevertheless, they hire staff from South Asia and pay them next to nothing (which we fortunately cannot do in Europe) and they turn to the Sheikhs whenever they need money!

P
Old June 17th, 2007, 09:09 PM   #213
yyzhyd

Quote:
I'm sure they are a great airline.

Nevertheless, they hire staff from South Asia and pay them next to nothing (which we fortunately cannot do in Europe) and they turn to the Sheikhs whenever they need money!

P

How many times have you actually flown Emirates? I've got over 20 long haul flights with them and have seen staff/crew/pilots of all nationalities working for them.
Do you know what their actual pay structure is for their staff? Is what you're saying your opinion or do you have any sources/facts to back up your claims?
IMHO it just seems that you're jealous that an airline from a perceived "third world" country is better in almost every way than BA, KL, LH, and AF.

I'd go so far as to say that even Jet Airways will be kicking European butts with their new aircraft and inflight service. What will you say then?
Old June 18th, 2007, 12:16 AM   #214
TORONTOCOPENHAGEN

yyzhyd do you have any more insults towards me or will you try to focus on the discussion at hand?

First of all, I am not jealous since I am well aware of the fact that my "national" airline SAS is not even half as good as Emirates.

Secondly, do not ever think that I have any lack of respect for percieved third world countries. I'm sure that I would love Dubai and for your information I have lived in Pakistan for 6 months and loved it.

Thirdly, I read an interesting analysis on a plane in Time or Newsweek that ONE of the reasons that Emirates is successfull is that they hire low-cost staff from South Asia and due to the fact that they get support from the Sheikhs. I do not remember the issue or when it was.

Best regards to you and everyone else,

P
Old June 18th, 2007, 02:51 AM   #215
nitzomoe
Scarebarian

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
they turn to the Sheikhs whenever they need money!
Until Emirates becomes a publicly traded airline there really is no way to prove beyond a doubt that it does not get subsidies from its rulers. I really dont see any point to debating this, its not related directly to Toronto.
nitzomoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 03:47 AM   #216
k.r.eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitzomoe View Post
Until Emirates becomes a publicly traded airline there really is no way to prove beyond a doubt that it does not get subsidies from its rulers. I really dont see any point to debating this, its not related directly to Toronto.
Agree, although I must admit - very few airlines come close to Emirates' branding techniques (being based in Dubai does help the brand also.) Here's to hoping they will use T1 when they start YYZ Service.
k.r.eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 07:51 AM   #217
TORONTOCOPENHAGEN

Correct! We are way off track. Let us not steal the thread with this issue.

P
Old June 18th, 2007, 07:07 PM   #218
yyzhyd

Quote:
yyzhyd do you have any more insults towards me or will you try to focus on the discussion at hand?

First of all, I am not jealous since I am well aware of the fact that my "national" airline SAS is not even half as good as Emirates.

Secondly, do not ever think that I have any lack of respect for percieved third world countries. I'm sure that I would love Dubai and for your information I have lived in Pakistan for 6 months and loved it.

Thirdly, I read an interesting analysis on a plane in Time or Newsweek that ONE of the reasons that Emirates is successfull is that they hire low-cost staff from South Asia and due to the fact that they get support from the Sheikhs. I do not remember the issue or when it was.

Best regards to you and everyone else,

P
I'm not insulting you... I simply asked if you had any proof to back up your statements.
As far as keeping to the discussion at hand I believe it was you not I who took this thread off on a tangent with reply #208
"I have to agree with EK 413.

P"

Cheers!
Old June 19th, 2007, 11:51 AM   #219
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Plenty of national carriers get government backing. Didn't Canadian Airlines receive a lot of government money before they were finally gobbled up into Air Canada?
and dont these lucrative/government backed carriers pay tax...?

I forget EK's after TAX profit...?

Last edited by EK413; June 19th, 2007 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Missing info
EK413 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #220
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

Quote:
Originally Posted by EK413 View Post
and dont these lucrative/government backed carriers pay tax...?

I forget EK's after TAX profit...?
That is if these government-backed carriers are always profitable to begin with ...

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto