daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 2nd, 2012, 07:30 AM   #2281
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

So, interestingly, Air India seems to be dropping YYZ from its schedule as it deems it unprofitable, especially with the ongoing pilots strike. I wonder if this will become a permanent cancelation. Between AI and CX, it's not looking like the second half of the year will be great for YYZ. My understanding is that DEL-YYZ is always full, but it's just such a low yield market I suppose.

Quote:
Toronto flight among 7 international flights to be hit

National carrier Air India will shift to an “interim plan” to salvage its international operations that have been crippled by a 24-day-old pilots’ strike.
“We have finished work on our interim plan and it will be implemented from June 1. Under the new plan, several destinations where the load factors are quite low might be dropped for the time being,” an Air India said.
The airline is expected to fully shift to the truncated interim schedule from June 1, dropping seven international destinations including Hong Kong, Osaka, Seoul and Toronto.
http://canindia.com/2012/06/toronto-...hts-to-be-hit/
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2012, 06:22 PM   #2282
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

ACT7, the Air India suspension is only until the end of June...July 1, they are supposed to restart their YYZ flights (daily)..

The labour trouble at AI, btw, is all about pilot seniority, and who gets to fly the new 787s....when AI merged with IC, there were 2 sets of pilot seniority lists, much like when AC merged with CP...now the pilots are squabbling over which list gets priority to fly the 787s - and that's the source of all the trouble...

/at least, that's my understanding....
Old June 2nd, 2012, 08:18 PM   #2283
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
ACT7, the Air India suspension is only until the end of June...July 1, they are supposed to restart their YYZ flights (daily)..

The labour trouble at AI, btw, is all about pilot seniority, and who gets to fly the new 787s....when AI merged with IC, there were 2 sets of pilot seniority lists, much like when AC merged with CP...now the pilots are squabbling over which list gets priority to fly the 787s - and that's the source of all the trouble...

/at least, that's my understanding....
Glad to hear. Would have been a shame to lose AI completely.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 04:27 AM   #2284
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

But the fact that it's unprofitable is still an ongoing problem for many North American carriers looking to fly direct into India. Even AA with +85% load factors for its route from ORD had to be dropped due to unprofitability.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #2285
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

I recall in past news articles India demand is very seasonal and it's hard to make money on the yields. While this may mean the end of direct flights, the likes of Emirates and Qatar should be the beneficiaries with their 1-stop services.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #2286
LO 044

Likes (Received): 5

Turkish Airlines Moves Forward Planned Toronto Service Increase to late-Oct 2012
by JL
Update at 0940GMT 04JUN12

As per 04JUN12 GDS timetable and inventory display, Turkish Airlines is moving forward planned service increase on Istanbul – Toronto route. Planned service increase from 4 to 5 weekly, originally due to start from 31DEC12, is now moving forward to 31OCT12.

The new flight operates on Wednesdays. Schedule:

TK017 IST1345 – 1740YYZ 77W x25
TK018 YYZ2255 – 1550+1IST 77W x25

http://airlineroute.net/2012/06/04/tk-yyz-w12update2/
LO 044 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #2287
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I recall in past news articles India demand is very seasonal and it's hard to make money on the yields. While this may mean the end of direct flights, the likes of Emirates and Qatar should be the beneficiaries with their 1-stop services.
Even 9W is dropping JFK so it does seem that the only way to make any money flying to India is to route through low cost hubs like DXB, DOH, etc.

I don't expect AC will give DEL another try even with the 787's.
Old June 4th, 2012, 06:52 PM   #2288
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

I wonder what they are going to do when all 787 come in.. When do they want to phase out the 767s?
YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #2289
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO 044 View Post
Turkish Airlines Moves Forward Planned Toronto Service Increase to late-Oct 2012
by JL
Update at 0940GMT 04JUN12

As per 04JUN12 GDS timetable and inventory display, Turkish Airlines is moving forward planned service increase on Istanbul – Toronto route. Planned service increase from 4 to 5 weekly, originally due to start from 31DEC12, is now moving forward to 31OCT12.

The new flight operates on Wednesdays. Schedule:

TK017 IST1345 – 1740YYZ 77W x25
TK018 YYZ2255 – 1550+1IST 77W x25

http://airlineroute.net/2012/06/04/tk-yyz-w12update2/
So Wednesdays are going to get popular for spotting. I am just curious if Turkish is going to push Austrian out? Hmmm OS keep saying they want to get some B777 and serve YYZ with it. Sounds way too ambitions... Aliatia is stepping up their game with an A330.... We will see.
Old June 12th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #2290
ACT7

http://www.yyznews.com/Jun.html

Quote:
Ghana Air Agreement ---according to reports coming from Accra Ghana there may be direct flights between Canada and Ghana soon. Moves are being advanced to get some Canadian airlines to fly into Ghana by the end of the year. This was disclosed by the Chief Planning Officer at the Ministry of Transport, Twumasi Ankrah Selby. According to him, the airlines will however begin operations through a partnering with other American airlines first through code-sharing. "We met the Canadians at the Global Conference on Service Agreement where we established the air agreement which enables airlines to fly to other countries. They wee willing to consider their carries flying to Accra but for a start, they wanted a code-sharing with American carriers like Delta and United Airlines" he said. So we were able to sign an Memorandum Of Understanding and looking forward to signing a document which would conclude the agreement at the next conference in Saudi Arabia this year. They have now shown an indication that they need to tap into our market," he added.
I can only assume direct flights in the future would start and end at YYZ.
Old June 13th, 2012, 04:32 AM   #2291
hkskyline
Hong Kong

^ They speak French over there, don't they? If that's the case, then I think Montreal may have a good shot at getting flights.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old June 13th, 2012, 05:52 AM   #2292
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
^ They speak French over there, don't they? If that's the case, then I think Montreal may have a good shot at getting flights.
Ghana is a member of the Commonwealth not the Francophonie, so YYZ would be a safe bet. It seems like the countries in that part of Africa alternate between English and French.

Delta would fly through JFK, while United would fly through IAD. United is supposedly slated to pull out of Accra on July 4 instead codesharing with LH out of FRA. That leaves Delta as the sole airline to partner with. However, AC isn't in the same group as DL, so unless they plan on piggybacking with LH as well, AC may eventually be the only Star Alliance airline to fly directly between Accra and North America.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #2293
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Besides their diaspora, what else is there to keep the fights going?
Old June 13th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #2294
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
Besides their diaspora, what else is there to keep the fights going?
Oil exploration is booming in West Africa.
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 05:04 AM   #2295
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfan89 View Post
Oil exploration is booming in West Africa.
Then there should be direct flights to Nigeria, the biggest oil story in that part of Africa - not Ghana.

Old June 14th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #2296
lady gaga
Mod

Likes (Received): 845

Quote:
Then there should be direct flights to Nigeria, the biggest oil story in that part of Africa - not Ghana.
Also Sudan and Angola !! so oil exploration isn't the reason
lady gaga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 04:41 PM   #2297
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady gaga View Post
Also Sudan and Angola !! so oil exploration isn't the reason
It's not just about oil, I don't think that was the point being made. If so there would be direct service to Saudi Arabia and Kuwait as well - although I think Saudi has always wanted to fly to Toronto. And who's to say that Sudan and Nigeria aren't on the radar? Ghana was just the one mentioned.
Old June 15th, 2012, 02:25 AM   #2298
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

I think Kuwait or Royal Jordanian served YYZ back in the days... I think it was RJ.
Old June 15th, 2012, 05:32 AM   #2299
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
I think Kuwait or Royal Jordanian served YYZ back in the days... I think it was RJ.
It was RJ via AMS if I recall. They've been serving YUL with 2 weekly flights for a few years now - gotta wonder why they've never upped that service. Lack of aircraft or weak demand?
Old June 15th, 2012, 07:34 AM   #2300
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
It was RJ via AMS if I recall. They've been serving YUL with 2 weekly flights for a few years now - gotta wonder why they've never upped that service. Lack of aircraft or weak demand?
I am not quite sure, but I am sure they covered it up on airliners.net. Btw what's the situation with the landing rights for carriers from the former Yugoslavia? Having in mind that JAT served YYZ/YMX for ages in the past, would they be given the similar slots as back in the days, or they would have to start with two to three weekly flights? I am just curious because Belgrade airport is investing 100Mil in their terminal this year, and they are willing to offer some incentives for longhaulers. I am not too optimisitc, but I would like to know what's the deal with airlines that used to have big presence in Canada, but they pulled out for whatever reason.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto