daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old June 20th, 2007, 02:34 AM   #221
yyzhyd
Registered User
 
yyzhyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 646
Likes (Received): 9

Excellent analysis of the impact of Emirates in Toronto...
http://www.airliners.net/discussions....main/3466764/
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2007, 02:15 AM   #222
globetrekker
Registered user
 
globetrekker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 283
Likes (Received): 0

Re: Porter Airlines

Yeah I know, City Center Airport but....

http://biz.yahoo.com/cnw/070620/port...ense.html?.v=1

U.S. Dept. of Transportation grants license to Porter Airlines
Wednesday June 20, 2:42 pm ET


TORONTO, June 20 /CNW/ - Porter Airlines has received official clearance from the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) to provide scheduled and charter service. The first planned destination is New York through Newark Liberty International Airport, with plans to ultimately serve as many as nine U.S. destinations, including New York, Chicago, Boston, Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Cincinnati and Cleveland.
ADVERTISEMENT


In its disposition, the DOT states that the approval is consistent with the terms of the U.S.-Canada Air Transport Agreement and in the public interest. In addition, the DOT found that Porter is operationally and financially qualified to conduct its proposed operations.

"This is a significant day for Porter," said Robert Deluce, president and CEO of Porter Airlines. "We will now be able to offer true competition and superior service on a number of U.S. routes. Regular service to New York will begin later this year and not later than the early part of 2008. This is great news for business and leisure travellers, for the city of Toronto and the downtown economy."

Porter's primary focus is on short-haul Canadian and U.S. destinations within 500 nm of its base at Toronto City Centre Airport, only a few kilometers from the city's financial and entertainment districts.

The airline's emphasis on speed, convenience and service has changed how people fly to and from Toronto. Since launching its first scheduled service to Ottawa in October, Porter has added Montreal to its schedule and will begin flying to Halifax on June 29.

About Porter Airlines

Porter Airlines Inc. is a regional passenger carrier based at Toronto City Centre Airport. The airline currently serves Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal, and will add Halifax on June 29, 2007. Porter plans to fly to at least 17 short-haul Canadian and U.S. destinations. Visit www.flyporter.com or call (416) 619-8622 or (888) 619-8622 for more information.


Yeah baby, yeah!

Last edited by globetrekker; June 21st, 2007 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Added the link to the article.
globetrekker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 09:59 AM   #223
k.r.eagle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 20
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker View Post
Yeah I know, City Center Airport but....

http://biz.yahoo.com/cnw/070620/port...ense.html?.v=1

U.S. Dept. of Transportation grants license to Porter Airlines
Wednesday June 20, 2:42 pm ET


TORONTO, June 20 /CNW/ - Porter Airlines has received official clearance from the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) to provide scheduled and charter service. The first planned destination is New York through Newark Liberty International Airport, with plans to ultimately serve as many as nine U.S. destinations, including New York, Chicago, Boston, Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Cincinnati and Cleveland.
ADVERTISEMENT


In its disposition, the DOT states that the approval is consistent with the terms of the U.S.-Canada Air Transport Agreement and in the public interest. In addition, the DOT found that Porter is operationally and financially qualified to conduct its proposed operations.

"This is a significant day for Porter," said Robert Deluce, president and CEO of Porter Airlines. "We will now be able to offer true competition and superior service on a number of U.S. routes. Regular service to New York will begin later this year and not later than the early part of 2008. This is great news for business and leisure travellers, for the city of Toronto and the downtown economy."

Porter's primary focus is on short-haul Canadian and U.S. destinations within 500 nm of its base at Toronto City Centre Airport, only a few kilometers from the city's financial and entertainment districts.

The airline's emphasis on speed, convenience and service has changed how people fly to and from Toronto. Since launching its first scheduled service to Ottawa in October, Porter has added Montreal to its schedule and will begin flying to Halifax on June 29.

About Porter Airlines

Porter Airlines Inc. is a regional passenger carrier based at Toronto City Centre Airport. The airline currently serves Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal, and will add Halifax on June 29, 2007. Porter plans to fly to at least 17 short-haul Canadian and U.S. destinations. Visit www.flyporter.com or call (416) 619-8622 or (888) 619-8622 for more information.


Yeah baby, yeah!
Interesting, although another article mentioned that Porter will begin serving NYC IF they make it into 2008. They quoted low pax loads to make the big IF statement. Anyone know if pax loads have increased on Porter lately?
k.r.eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #224
TObermuda37
Canadian in Bermuda
 
TObermuda37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 88
Likes (Received): 0

Just read on www.airliners.net site that Lufthansa has announced via an internal announcement that they will commence YYZ - DUS in 2008. Apparently it will be 5 times weekly. So, that is an additional international flight added to the roster.
TObermuda37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #225
Filip
Torontonian 4ever
 
Filip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,891
Likes (Received): 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObermuda37 View Post
Just read on www.airliners.net site that Lufthansa has announced via an internal announcement that they will commence YYZ - DUS in 2008. Apparently it will be 5 times weekly. So, that is an additional international flight added to the roster.
Sick!
I'm worried that LTU might stop flying entirely to YYZ if this happens.
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #226
globetrekker
Registered user
 
globetrekker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 283
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
Sick!
I'm worried that LTU might stop flying entirely to YYZ if this happens.
I see your point. I was too with LH being very popular and having an excellent reputation and network. However, with LTU hooking up with Air Berlin doing feeder-service for them in DUS, they may be able to compete with Lufthansa. We'll have to see. In any case, it'll be some healthy competiton.
globetrekker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 06:27 AM   #227
spongeg
Registered User
 
spongeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Coquitlam/Rainbow Lake
Posts: 8,034
Likes (Received): 1739

whats LTU?
spongeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:50 AM   #228
Filip
Torontonian 4ever
 
Filip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,891
Likes (Received): 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongeg View Post
whats LTU?
A german airline.
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 07:49 PM   #229
globetrekker
Registered user
 
globetrekker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 283
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongeg View Post
whats LTU?
Yes, a German airline. It used to fly regularly to YYZ but only now flies seasonly. I've flown with them a couple times. They're not a bad airline. They recently updated their livery which is much nicer than their previous one imo.

http://www.ltu.com/world/
globetrekker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 07:54 PM   #230
yyzhyd
Registered User
 
yyzhyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 646
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
A german airline.
Lufttransport-Union = LTU
German charter airline that flies to YYZ from DUS in the Summer.
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:00 PM   #231
globetrekker
Registered user
 
globetrekker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 283
Likes (Received): 0

Ahhh, does United Airlines now fly their 757 into Toronto? There's a recent picture of them at YYZ. http://www.flickr.com/photos/aseemsj...n/photostream/
globetrekker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 03:54 PM   #232
yyzhyd
Registered User
 
yyzhyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 646
Likes (Received): 9

United has been using B757s into YYZ for a few years now.
On a daily basis, one of flights UA1104, UA1108 or UA1110
is operated by the B757.
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 07:30 PM   #233
globetrekker
Registered user
 
globetrekker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 283
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post
United has been using B757s into YYZ for a few years now.
On a daily basis, one of flights UA1104, UA1108 or UA1110
is operated by the B757.
Shut up! Really? Nice, I had no idea. I always see their (and have only flown out of YYZ on United's) 737. Well, cool!

Concerning JAL, they're going to operating charter flights to Toronto (Montreal and Calgary) this year. Does anyone know if they have plans to eventually make this a regular route soon?
globetrekker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 07:51 PM   #234
Filip
Torontonian 4ever
 
Filip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,891
Likes (Received): 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrekker View Post
Shut up! Really? Nice, I had no idea. I always see their (and have only flown out of YYZ on United's) 737. Well, cool!

Concerning JAL, they're going to operating charter flights to Toronto (Montreal and Calgary) this year. Does anyone know if they have plans to eventually make this a regular route soon?
Yea.. I always wondered why the huge lack of Asian airlines at YYZ (which makes no sense considering the demographics around here)... Maybe sooner or later they'll begin, who knows.
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:33 PM   #235
yyzhyd
Registered User
 
yyzhyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 646
Likes (Received): 9



There are a number of reasons why there are not more "Asian" carriers at Pearson. Just because there is a significant expat community from XYZ country, this doesn't translate to the national carrier of that country to serve YYZ.
Airlines like Asiana, ANA codeshare on Air Canada from Seoul and Tokyo to Toronto respectively. Likewise JAL codeshares on American LAX-YYZ.

Although Canada in general and Toronto in specific are above average yield destinations there is a lot more than demographics that go into route planning.

Currently YYZ is served by the following "Asian" carriers:
Air India
Pakistan International
Cathay Pacific
Korean Air
Jet Airways (eff. Sept. 5/07)

Expect China Southern and Qatar Airways (not Asian, I know)to announce Toronto in late 2007 for a 2008 start-up.
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 10:23 PM   #236
UD2
A very cool person
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,294
Likes (Received): 31

surprised China Southern is going Toronto and not Air China
__________________
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #237
yyzer
Registered User
 
yyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,195
Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Expect China Southern and Qatar Airways (not Asian, I know)to announce Toronto in late 2007 for a 2008 start-up.
Good news, YYZHYD....but Qatar would require a new (blue skies) bilateral, wouldn't it?

btw, the Qatar advertising in Toronto continues...saw a video on one of the Yonge Dundas Sq. screens the other day.....something is definitely afoot...
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #238
yyzhyd
Registered User
 
yyzhyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 646
Likes (Received): 9

Yes YYZer,
There is no bilateral with Qatar at the moment.
However Qatar is poised to join Star Alliance so that's essentially what's afoot with their advertising etc.
It will be a nice arrangement for AC to be able to codeshare on QR flights YYZ-DOH-South Asia as it will allow them to hit more destinations than they could with their own direct flights. QR will then put their code onto AC Domestic flights.
They've just signed a big codeshare agreement with United Airlines and also codeshare with Star Alliance members: Thai, Swiss, Asiana, ANA, Lufthansa and BMI.
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2007, 12:44 PM   #239
EK413
Registered User
 
EK413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,891
Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongeg View Post
whats LTU?

LTU - Lufttransport
__________________
EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
EK413 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 10:57 PM   #240
yyzhyd
Registered User
 
yyzhyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 646
Likes (Received): 9

Updated Emirates DXB-YYZ schedule

Updated Emirates DXB-YYZ schedule
Source: Amadeus & Emirates.com

EK241
Departs Dubai (DXB) 0835
Arrives Toronto (YYZ) 1420
Flight Duration 14:45

EK242
Departs Toronto (YYZ) 2140
Arrives Dubai (DXB) 1945+1
Flight Duration 13:05

(All times local)
Frequency: Mo/We/Fr
Equipment: B777-300ER
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium