daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 19th, 2012, 05:18 AM   #2521
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Not yet, but there's been a consistent upgrade for the past couple of years, so who knows what will happen in 2014.
Are you sure about that? All I see is a A340-300 in the winter and a A340-600 in the summer for quite some time. Back in the days, LH used to serve YYZ with a 744, and that was during the winter as well.
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #2522
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
Are you sure about that? All I see is a A340-300 in the winter and a A340-600 in the summer for quite some time. Back in the days, LH used to serve YYZ with a 744, and that was during the winter as well.
You're right they used to send 744's here all the time, but then they down gauged to a 346 and then a 343 in the summer for a couple of years and then upgraded this past year, so I'm hoping another upgrade to a 744 is sign of things to come.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #2523
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
- Alitalia will start a new route between Rome and Abu Dhabi starting 1 December using its A330. Operating 4x weekly, it will have a codeshare with Etihad Airways that will provide 1-stop connections in AUH with the rest of EY's network. - source

- LOT Polish Airlines, with eight B787-8s ordered and an option for six more, has chosen its first destinations to be operated with the new aircraft. Toronto-Pearson will be the first airport to be served with LO's newest aircraft from 1 February 2013, followed by New York-JFK on 3 February. LO will also operate its 787s to Beijing, but with a later start date of 3 March 2013. - source

- Austrian will add two more Boeing 777-200ERs to its fleet that will increase its long-haul capacity by around 25%. In addition, the airline is investing €90,000,000 to refurbish and improve its long-haul aircraft, namely the B767-300ERs and B777-200ERs, with new business and economy class seating, and new in-flight entertainment systems, all of which would help in the future of the airline. - source 1 source 2
Incorrect The first destination to be served by LOT's 787 will be Chicago. After Chicago it will be New York followed by Toronto, Beijing and Tokyo later this year.
J@nek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 04:39 AM   #2524
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11245

Seriously? LOT will fly to ORD first then JFK and YYZ? Where did you get the info? If it's in Polish, then I would definitely have a hard time reading it.

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 05:36 AM   #2525
PiotrG
庶民サンプル

I wrote about it in Boeing 787's thread, some time ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiotrG View Post

16th January 2013 - Warsaw-Chicago
1st February 2013 - Warsaw-Toronto
3rd February 2013 - Warsaw-New York City
3rd March 2013 - Warsaw-Beijing

Economy Class tickets prices to Chicago, Toronto, NYC from 1999 PLN (~640$; USD/PLN = 3,17), to Pekin from 2299 PLN (~725$). Premium Club tickets prices Chicago/Torronto/NYC from 3999PLN (~1262$) and to Pekin from 4499PLN (~1419 USD).
Tickets will be available from 14th September 2012.

Source: https://www.lot.com/pl/web/newlot/pr...t%2Fpress-info

Last edited by PiotrG; October 20th, 2012 at 05:44 AM.
PiotrG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 08:09 AM   #2526
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Seriously? LOT will fly to ORD first then JFK and YYZ? Where did you get the info? If it's in Polish, then I would definitely have a hard time reading it.
I am curious to see how well the premium economy will do? Do you think the diaspora will fetch extra cash or nah? I am under impression it will be used for overbooking/upgrading.
Old October 20th, 2012, 08:11 AM   #2527
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC

I am curious to see how well the premium economy will do? Do you think the diaspora will fetch extra cash or nah? I have some feeling it will be used for overbooking/upgrading.
I think the W class will be used for either scenario, but I suspect it will be used for the former rather than the latter... Unless staff members who work at check-in can inform passengers that there are W seats available for the flight. Hopefully, they will offer those for free since passengers are boarding the flight anyway to begin with.

Old October 22nd, 2012, 03:39 AM   #2528
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToroTO View Post
Usually airlines are assigned terminals based on their alliances and partnerships. Alitalia was in terminal 1 because they used to do code-share flights with Air Canada. Same situation with Air Jamaica, once the partnerships ended, the airlines just moved to Term 3. US Airways used to be based in Term 3, but once Air Canada consolidated all flights into the new Term 1, US changed terminals.

This isn't always the case though, Emirates, Jet Airways, Sunwing, Etihad and others, are not alligned and operate from from Term 1. Since they don't need to be in the same terminal as any other airline, they get assigned to a terminal where there is space.
The Wikipedia page for Pearson has PR operating out of Terminal 3. However, there's isn't a reference citing it (they do have one citing the arrival of service to Pearson). Given their track record I'll wait and see.

A few years ago though, I remember coming into Pearson and seeing PR signed at Terminal 3. I don't know if it was a codeshare or something pre-emptive. If they've still got the sign and it turns out they are serving Terminal 3 it'd just be a matter of re-inserting it into the list as you approach the airport.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2012, 03:44 AM   #2529
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil

The Wikipedia page for Pearson has PR operating out of Terminal 3. However, there's isn't a reference citing it (they do have one citing the arrival of service to Pearson). Given their track record I'll wait and see.

A few years ago though, I remember coming into Pearson and seeing PR signed at Terminal 3. I don't know if it was a codeshare or something pre-emptive. If they've still got the sign and it turns out they are serving Terminal 3 it'd just be a matter of re-inserting it into the list as you approach the airport.
Probably that means PR will indeed fly out of Terminal 3 indeed. And if it will end up code sharing with other airlines, PR or other airlines will announce it as soon as it starts service full-time.

Old October 22nd, 2012, 04:25 AM   #2530
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Probably that means PR will indeed fly out of Terminal 3 indeed. And if it will end up code sharing with other airlines, PR or other airlines will announce it as soon as it starts service full-time.
The short-lived signage was from a few years ago. I can't find any mention of PR serving or having plans to serve Toronto from that time period. They do have a codeshare with CX, which serves Terminal 3 which is possible the source of the signage. Conversely, they also codeshare with EK and EY which both serve Terminal 1.

Digging around, I came across an article just posted on the ABS-CBN website stating that PR will indeed serve Terminal 3 (which isn't listed on PR's website, though it could be a recent announcement/decision which has yet to be reflected).

Quote:
PAL starts MNL-Toronto route on Nov. 30
By Rudy Santos, The Philippine Star
Posted at 10/21/2012 2:39 PM | Updated as of 10/21/2012 7:14 PM

MANILA, Philippines -- Philippine Airlines will launch a pioneering service between Manila and Toronto on Nov. 30, 2012, giving the flag carrier a direct link to Canada’s largest city and its first gateway on the vital East Coast of North America in 15 years.

“We are always keen on developing new markets and Toronto. With its diverse population, booming economy and status as one of the world’s top financial centers, it presents us a major opportunity to do so,” said PAL president Ramon S. Ang.

“There has long been a big clamor from our customers in Toronto and all along Canada’s eastern seaboard, particularly the large Filipino community, for a PAL service to their part of the country,” he added. “We heard them loud and clear, and we’re excited to serve them.”

The Toronto service (PR 118) departs Manila every Wednesday, Friday and Sunday at 3 p.m. Arrival at Terminal 3 of Toronto Pearson International Airport is at 5 p.m. on the same days.

One segue, seaboard isn't a term that's usually used in Canada and it would be a stretch to include Toronto in it. The easternmost provinces are usually refered to as the Maritimes (NB, PE and NS) or the Atlantic Provinces (including NL). I guess they're just using an American term they're familiar with.

I know there are several Canadian companies like Sun Life and Telus with operations in the Philippines that are probably looking forward to the new connection.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2012, 04:28 AM   #2531
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil

The short-lived signage was from a few years ago. I can't find any mention of PR serving or having plans to serve Toronto from that time period. They do have a codeshare with CX, which serves Terminal 3 which is possible the source of the signage. Conversely, they also codeshare with EK and EY which both serve Terminal 1.

Digging around, I came across an article just posted on the ABS-CBN website stating that PR will indeed serve Terminal 3 (which isn't listed on PR's website, though it could be a recent announcement/decision which has yet to be reflected).

One segue, seaboard isn't a term that's usually used in Canada and it would be a stretch to include Toronto in it. The easternmost provinces are usually refered to as the Maritimes (NB, PE and NS) or the Atlantic Provinces (including NL). I guess they're just using an American term they're familiar with.

I know there are several Canadian companies like Sun Life and Telus with operations in the Philippines that are probably looking forward to the new connection.
I think the eastern seaboard for Toronto doesn't sound right. I'd call it like the Great Lakes region, Canadian side... Or simply put, Canada's premier city and business hub. But I am definitely looking forward to seeing PR serving YYZ.

Old October 25th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #2532
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

Ethiopian are upgrading YYZ to 787 effective Nov 9th ....from airlineroute.net...

Ethiopian Airlines to Launch Boeing 787 Service to Toronto: W12 Dreamliner Operations
by JL
Update at 1415GMT 25OCT12

As per 25OCT12 GDS timetable and inventory display, Ethiopian Airlines further adjusts planned Boeing 787 operation. Latest adjustment as follows:

Addis Ababa – Toronto eff 09NOV12 Boeing 787 replaces 777-200LR. Westbound service operates via Rome
ET502 ADD2230 – 0340+1FCO0440+1 – 0810+1YYZ 788 15
ET503 YYZ1100 – 0820+1ADD 788 26
Old October 25th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #2533
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

They probably can't feel up the B777. Will take it.
Old October 25th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #2534
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC
You meant fill up the 77L. but that'll be a good choice since the 787 is a newer plane than the 77L by just a few years, and it would mean two Star Alliance carriers will use the 787 to YYZ, the other being LO. Will AC get 787s though in the process, or is it happy with the 77Ws and 77Ls?

Old October 25th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #2535
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
Their intention was always to use a 787, especially with the limited frequency they've been punished with. The 77L was simply a way to enter the market without further delay.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #2536
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

Likes (Received): 14458

Quote:
Will AC get 787s though in the process, or is it happy with the 77Ws and 77Ls?
Yes, AC will get first 787 in 2014. They will replace AC's 767-300ERs
Equario no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #2537
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equario

That's good. That will hopefully complement its A330 services soon.

Old October 26th, 2012, 01:26 AM   #2538
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equario View Post
These are the refurbished ones? They're really old jets but with the renovation, they actually look awesome and comfortable to ride on across the Atlantic.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 03:11 AM   #2539
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline

These are the refurbished ones? They're really old jets but with the renovation, they actually look awesome and comfortable to ride on across the Atlantic.
Yeah, the ones with so-called XMs as their suffix. Most of the B763ERs (except for three) were refurbished in the early 2000s to include modern in-flight amenities, from PTVs to AC adapters, as part of the airline's so-called XM Project.

Old October 26th, 2012, 09:53 AM   #2540
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
You meant fill up the 77L. but that'll be a good choice since the 787 is a newer plane than the 77L by just a few years, and it would mean two Star Alliance carriers will use the 787 to YYZ, the other being LO. Will AC get 787s though in the process, or is it happy with the 77Ws and 77Ls?
Ahh just noticed that I spelled fill up as feel up haha. My bad. Btw I think the 77Ls are pretty new as well.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto