daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 5th, 2012, 03:07 AM   #2561
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Is Avianca a rumour or expected? You're right, I did forget Aero Republica.
My understanding re Sri Lankan was 5th freedom from LHR on a 343. They were supposed to be meeting in May 2012 to revise the current bilateral but I hadn't heard anything about that since.
Interesting... But could UL use an A330 to test the route out first since it burns less fuel while allowing less passengers to travel that route? If that's the case, then YYZ would be the airline's first destination in North America after some long hiatus... And probably the longest route for the airline.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2012, 03:52 AM   #2562
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Interesting... But could UL use an A330 to test the route out first since it burns less fuel while allowing less passengers to travel that route? If that's the case, then YYZ would be the airline's first destination in North America after some long hiatus... And probably the longest route for the airline.
It would most definitely be the first NA destination and I would argue the ONLY one for a long time. Toronto has the highest Sri Lankan expat population in NA and according to a GTAA insider this has been a long sought after route for UL.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 04:10 AM   #2563
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Ah interesting. So more than likely, the A340 will be used on this route to serve the large numbers of Sri Lankans in Toronto and Canada... But I'm thinking how many times a week this route will operate because it might compete with Jet Airways' daily service to Delhi via Brussels on an A330.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old November 5th, 2012, 04:25 AM   #2564
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto_41 View Post
Μ thought Sri Lankan was granted the authority and that they were code sharing with AC via Heathrow? I remember that in the Transport Canada website that AC had applied to codeshare with Sri Lankan.

Correct me if I am wrong.
That may not happen now that UL is going into Oneworld. Flying their metal with 5th freedoms out of London is also not wise due to the huge taxes of using their airports, which means they'll be less competitive as the other 1-stop alternative, Emirates.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 05:06 AM   #2565
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Yes, Air Canada actually flies an A319 to LHR from Halifax daily. I find it a bit interesting because that is indeed one of the smallest aircraft that can do Transatlantic journeys on a scheduled basis... A318 with British Airways is the smallest passenger jet operated as a scheduled passenger service.
That was during the 2008-2010 due to bad economy. Halifax has been upgraded again to a B763XM.
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 05:16 AM   #2566
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Just thought I would compile a small list of airlines that are expected or rumoured to start next year:

Egytair
Saudi
Aeroflot
Sri Lankan
Kenya Airways (2014/2015) Not next year, I know, but still.

Please feel free to add to this. No real reason to start it other than to keep track of stuff.
Btw JaT airways from Serbia is working on resuming JFK in coperation with AZAL. In case if they manage to come back to YYZ, would't there be some confusion with Jet Airways as both airlines have the similar names? I know it's a long shot, but BEG and YYZ were linked in the past for long time.
Old November 5th, 2012, 05:31 AM   #2567
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
Btw JaT airways from Serbia is working on resuming JFK in coperation with AZAL. In case if they manage to come back to YYZ, would't there be some confusion with Jet Airways as both airlines have the similar names? I know it's a long shot, but BEG and YYZ were linked in the past for long time.
JAT Airways has not yet purchased any wide-bodied aircraft for some time since the civil war that broke the former Yugoslavia into multiple states, and it might be some more time before JAT could resume Transatlantic services. I am more surprised, though, that AZAL (Azerbaijan) will be coordinating with JAT to operate a flight between BEG and JFK because AZAL, in itself, currently does not operate any Transatlantic services; the longest route the airline operates to, I believe, is to LHR (if not MAD) from GYD (Baku). But, if AZAL works with JAT to create a flight between BEG and North America, then one of them should get a wide-body jet (like an A330) to make the route possible.

Old November 5th, 2012, 05:56 AM   #2568
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
JAT Airways has not yet purchased any wide-bodied aircraft for some time since the civil war that broke the former Yugoslavia into multiple states, and it might be some more time before JAT could resume Transatlantic services. I am more surprised, though, that AZAL (Azerbaijan) will be coordinating with JAT to operate a flight between BEG and JFK because AZAL, in itself, currently does not operate any Transatlantic services; the longest route the airline operates to, I believe, is to LHR (if not MAD) from GYD (Baku). But, if AZAL works with JAT to create a flight between BEG and North America, then one of them should get a wide-body jet (like an A330) to make the route possible.
Correct, but at the same time, they had their DC10 until 2005 fully operational with low cycles. In 2005, they retired the DC10 because they got tired of playing political games with Canada/Usa. I am just not sure why do you say that they need more time? It's been already more than two decades since the service vanished. Jat also flew to JFK with Uzbekistan's 763 from 2004-2006. That's why AZAL got some serious plans. They have two new 763s, and two B787s placed on order. Their narrow body fleet is fairly new as well.
Old November 5th, 2012, 06:10 AM   #2569
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
Correct, but at the same time, they had their DC10 until 2005 fully operational with low cycles. In 2005, they retired the DC10 because they got tired of playing political games with Canada/Usa. I am just not sure why do you say that they need more time? It's been already more than two decades since the service vanished. Jat also flew to JFK with Uzbekistan's 763 from 2004-2006. That's why AZAL got some serious plans. They have two new 763s, and two B787s placed on order. Their narrow body fleet is fairly new as well.
I meant JAT needed more time because usually, an airline that would do Transatlantic services would either lease aircraft from a lessor (e.g. ILFC or GECAS) or get their own aircraft and operate them on a regular basis. But now, with AZAL as the collaborator of reviving JAT's service: it reminds me of what Air Seychelles is doing wherein it will operate a brand new service between AUH and HKG on HM's newest aircraft, an A330. I wonder, though, how such collaboration works because it seems like when one airline leases one of its aircraft to another, the airline lessee will then use the aircraft to operate more routes... But in coordination with another airline seems to be a new trend that I have not heard of before.

Old November 5th, 2012, 07:12 AM   #2570
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
I meant JAT needed more time because usually, an airline that would do Transatlantic services would either lease aircraft from a lessor (e.g. ILFC or GECAS) or get their own aircraft and operate them on a regular basis. But now, with AZAL as the collaborator of reviving JAT's service: it reminds me of what Air Seychelles is doing wherein it will operate a brand new service between AUH and HKG on HM's newest aircraft, an A330. I wonder, though, how such collaboration works because it seems like when one airline leases one of its aircraft to another, the airline lessee will then use the aircraft to operate more routes... But in coordination with another airline seems to be a new trend that I have not heard of before.
I was just curious about the confusion JAT vs indian JET Airways. I agree with what you said. It may not be that hard to restart Canada service, but they are waiting for FAA CAT 1 rating as well for their USA flights.
Old November 5th, 2012, 05:27 PM   #2571
ACT7

What's funny/interesting is that, for the longest time, if you dug around on Uzbekistan Airline's website, you would have seen that they were talking about starting service to Toronto. This was as recent as last year.
Old November 5th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #2572
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7
What's funny/interesting is that, for the longest time, if you dug around on Uzbekistan Airline's website, you would have seen that they were talking about starting service to Toronto. This was as recent as last year.
Well, HY (Uzbekistan Airways) operates a flight between Tashkent and New York-JFK via Riga, making the airline operate through a unique city rather than through a traditional hub like LHR or CDG (since both are available in abundance already). Plus, should HY operate that route between TAS and YYZ, where do you think the airline can do its stopover?

Old November 5th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #2573
ACT7

Quote:
Well, HY (Uzbekistan Airways) operates a flight between Tashkent and New York-JFK via Riga, making the airline operate through a unique city rather than through a traditional hub like LHR or CDG (since both are available in abundance already). Plus, should HY operate that route between TAS and YYZ, where do you think the airline can do its stopover?
Well, if I had a wish list of potential stopovers, one place would be Astana, Kazakhstan - albeit it's a little bit of back-tracking.
Old November 5th, 2012, 09:08 PM   #2574
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

True, but I don't know if its B763 can fly that far between Astana and YYZ... perhaps DME, SVO, or LED?

Old November 5th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #2575
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

Likes (Received): 14460

Quote:
True, but I don't know if its B763 can fly that far between Astana and YYZ... perhaps DME, SVO, or LED?
Better to go via KBP
Equario no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012, 01:54 AM   #2576
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I think VV already does KBP-YYZ, true? If the flight is offered at a less-than-daily basis, then I think a TAS-KBP-YYZ flight is a good option to boost KBP-YYZ service.

Old November 6th, 2012, 08:29 AM   #2577
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

Likes (Received): 14460

Quote:
I think VV already does KBP-YYZ, true? If the flight is offered at a less-than-daily basis, then I think a TAS-KBP-YYZ flight is a good option to boost KBP-YYZ service.
It's true that VV is serving KBP-YYZ. Frequency is pretty low - only twice weekly. However, I don't think that Ukrainian government would grand any freedom to KC to carry pax on KBP-YYZ leg. Only refueling.
Equario no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012, 08:53 AM   #2578
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equario View Post
Better to go via KBP
Sure hahah. Btw I have good memories from BEG/Belgarde because Uzbekistan flew to JFK via BEG for two years. They managed to pull off two weekly flights via BEG, however once they switched to RIX, Uzbekistan now offers a single weekly flight. They were better off in BEG, but serbian passengers were not happy with their service. Uzbekistan would offer JAT 100 seats in the economy and a few in the front cabin, but Jat still had to feed on their end with its small regional network.
Old November 6th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #2579
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

So there are two choices for HY to operate its TAS-YYZ flight:

- via Kiev/Borispol
- via Belgrade

I hope there will be additional passenger loading for either airport so that the aircraft can be filled to capacity before the Transatlantic crossing. Given the B763's range, it would be a fine choice to fly via either airport.

Old November 9th, 2012, 06:15 AM   #2580
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
So there are two choices for HY to operate its TAS-YYZ flight:

- via Kiev/Borispol
- via Belgrade

I hope there will be additional passenger loading for either airport so that the aircraft can be filled to capacity before the Transatlantic crossing. Given the B763's range, it would be a fine choice to fly via either airport.
That will not work in a long run. We need a local canadian or serbian airline with some feed on the both ends. Uzbekistan is known for bad reputation and so on. Skyservice tried to snatch some of that traffic, but they miserably failed. They could not offer anything more than one weekly flight. At the end, LH/OS/LX/AC caputerd connecting passengers with their one stop offer via FRA/ZHR/VIE. I think Canada - the former Yugoslavia is a tough nut. Whoever wants to establish a direct link they would need some serious cash because Lufthansa will try to sabotage those flights by offering much cheaper airfares. Once the competition pulls out, back to the same old... That's what they have been doing for some time to Polish LOT. I always come over very cheap airfares to Warsaw on LH website.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto