daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 12th, 2007, 01:13 AM   #241
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post
Updated Emirates DXB-YYZ schedule
Source: Amadeus & Emirates.com

EK241
Departs Dubai (DXB) 0835
Arrives Toronto (YYZ) 1420
Flight Duration 14:45

EK242
Departs Toronto (YYZ) 2140
Arrives Dubai (DXB) 1945+1
Flight Duration 13:05

(All times local)
Frequency: Mo/We/Fr
Equipment: B777-300ER
Can't wait to see that tail at Pearson!

On a smaller note, looks like an airline called Sol Dominicana will be starting service to YYZ from La Romana in Nov. '07

Call me crazy too, but I keep on hearing rumours about THY Turkish Airlines starting service in 2008. Anyone else have ANY news surrounding this??
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2007, 07:49 PM   #242
ggaleazz

Likes (Received): 0

Did anyone else see the military jets flying (taking off?) around Pearson on Wed/Thurs of last week? I was sitting in my office and heard some planes taking off (a normal occurance) I thought at first it was a super jumbo from the engine sounds. But then the engines sounded like no aircraft I had seen or heard before. When I ran outside I saw 2 military jets in the air. I wonder what they were doing in the area
ggaleazz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 10:24 PM   #243
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Can't wait to see that tail at Pearson!

On a smaller note, looks like an airline called Sol Dominicana will be starting service to YYZ from La Romana in Nov. '07

Call me crazy too, but I keep on hearing rumours about THY Turkish Airlines starting service in 2008. Anyone else have ANY news surrounding this??
Good to hear about Sol Dominicana! About THY Turkish - they've been rumoured to come to Pearson since the early 00's from what I remember. They probably have the largest ticket sales centre out of any international airline I can think of, smack on University Avenue in pretty good retail space!
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #244
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Did anyone else see the military jets flying (taking off?) around Pearson on Wed/Thurs of last week?
Yeah, they were here for the Steelback Grand Prix...I wasn't at the race, but apparently they did some flybys....there were three CAF F-18s....
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #245
yyzer

There is a new Air Services Agreement between Jordan and Canada (announced yesterday), but details haven't been made public yet - apparently there will be an increase in flights and destinations served, but it is not fully Open Skies. Hopefully this may help Royal Jordanian to restart AMM-YYZ....
Old July 15th, 2007, 11:06 PM   #246
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
There is a new Air Services Agreement between Jordan and Canada (announced yesterday), but details haven't been made public yet - apparently there will be an increase in flights and destinations served, but it is not fully Open Skies. Hopefully this may help Royal Jordanian to restart AMM-YYZ....
I'm sure with the new flights DXB-YYZ and the wildly successful ABU-YYZ, plus the recently announced open skies agreements with Kuwait and the likely Qatar agreement, Royal Jordanian would want to get a piece of the Toronto market. I know the twice weekly service to YUL is a way to get their foot back in the Canadian door, but since Montreal's not as much of a hub as Toronto, and Amman itself is not as much of a hub as DXB, it would stand to reason that Royal Jordanian's long term plan always included YYZ.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 05:47 AM   #247
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

Once Emirates and Qatar get a foothold in YYZ, I don't expect the other Middle Eastern carriers to crowd the market. Emirates is especially aggressive with its pricing, which will drive out the other competitors. I don't think the market is large enough to sustain 3-4 carriers doing direct service. There simply isn't enough traffic going to the Middle East for 3-4 flights a day. But Emirates is likely going to capture the transit market, such as Canada-India via Dubai, which should spell the end of AC trying to restart that route.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 06:01 AM   #248
mahdial_x5
(¯`·._.•MaHdI•._.·´¯)

i heard that Mahan Air of IRAN purchased four (4) 744s and was going to start service to YYZ....

is that so?
Old July 16th, 2007, 07:19 AM   #249
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10400

This may have been said before, but Emirates is going to make it a LOT easier for Canadians to go to that general region than the current track of either going through the US or Europe. This route was eventual, in my opinion.

My cousin's family lives in Toronto and spends part of the year in Dubai, it will benefit them greatly....on a personal note, it will also help Somalis in Canada get to Somalia faster since the easiest way to get to Somalia is through DXB. Let's put two and two together...
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #250
nitzomoe
Scarebarian

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdial_x5 View Post
i heard that Mahan Air of IRAN purchased four (4) 744s and was going to start service to YYZ....

is that so?
according to wikipedia the 744's have not been rolled out in mahan air colors so we'll have to see. I was under the impression that the US slapped on a ban against selling any planes/equipment to Iran other than to maintain the existing fleet.
nitzomoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 06:59 PM   #251
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

hkskyline,
I agree but I think since every middle-eastern carrier is trying to copy Emirates they will at least attempt a YYZ route.
In the end Etihad, Emirates and Qatar will be the three that remain. There is more than enough traffic to fill the plane.
However, yields are what pay the bills in the airline business not load factors.

AC will probably operate a daily YYZ-BOM flight with their B77L.
With Air India and possibly Jet Airways joining Star Alliance AC will codeshare with them to the other Indian cities like Delhi, Kolkata, Hyderabad, Bangalore etc.

mahdial_x5,
There's virtually no chance of Mahan Air serving YYZ or any other point in North America.
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 07:08 PM   #252
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post
hkskyline,
I agree but I think since every middle-eastern carrier is trying to copy Emirates they will at least attempt a YYZ route.
In the end Etihad, Emirates and Qatar will be the three that remain. There is more than enough traffic to fill the plane.
However, yields are what pay the bills in the airline business not load factors.
A good yield is not going to make a route profitable if it doesn't have the right load factor. Revenue = Price x Quantity. Profits = Revenue - Costs. The key is whether there is enough traffic to make the direct point-to-point and transit markets viable, which means they have to drum up the load factor. They can always make it profitable by increasing the price. Flying out of Toronto already has a significant premium over New York given its high landing charges.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old July 17th, 2007, 03:05 AM   #253
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Agreed, it's always about striking the right balance of cargo/loads/yield for any flight to be successful.

Emirates' brand recognition among South Asians in the GTA and Canada is tremendous.
I highly doubt they'll have any trouble drumming up the load factor.
In my own family 12 trips to India have been made in the last 2 years all with the exception of two were routed YYZ-LHR-DXB-HYD with the LHR-DXB-HYD being on Emirates.
Emirates was preferred even though it meant two stops when both KLM and Lufthansa one stop service to HYD from YYZ. Not to mention it was cheaper!
IMO you'll see Emirates try to do double daily into YYZ to try and feed pax through both the morning and late evening south asia departure banks in Dubai.
Mind you, they need a liberal bilateral first.

I imagine 2008 will be even more interesting that 2007 has been so far.

Last edited by yyzhyd; July 17th, 2007 at 03:12 AM.
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 05:58 AM   #254
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Yes, Emirates has been fairly successful marketing their via Dubai flights between Europe and Asia/Australia already. However, I'm less optimistic on whether other competitors will try to join them on the transatlantic route.

Old July 18th, 2007, 10:06 PM   #255
globetrekker

http://www.aviation.com/070424_virgin_ridgway.html
globetrekker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 10:06 PM   #256
globetrekker

Old July 18th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #257
globetrekker

Virgin's 787s Will Fly New Routes and Replace A340s: CEO
By Chris Kjelgaard

Virgin Atlantic Airways will use the 15 Boeing 787-9s it has ordered to launch routes to a wide variety of new business and leisure destinations.

Steve Ridgway, Virgin Atlantic's chief executive, told Aviation.com that the 787-9s also will replace six Airbus A340-300s now in the airline's fleet and perhaps could replace its oldest A340-600s too.

"We will make sure we are managing the business to grow ... and preserve as much flexibility as we can," said Ridgway. The 787-9 order will give Virgin Atlantic a range of options regarding network and service frequency growth and aircraft replacement, he added.

The 787s will be Virgin Atlantic's first twin-engined widebody aircraft. Its fleet is now composed entirely of four-engined aircraft. The carrier will use the type throughout its network, said Ridgway. At present Virgin Atlantic's route network extends to North America, the Caribbean, Asia and Africa.

When Virgin Atlantic starts receiving its 787s in spring 2011 it will use them to launch routes from the three airports it serves in the United Kingdom to new destinations such as Bangkok, Melbourne, Rio de Janeiro, Seattle, Toronto and Vancouver, added Ridgway. Virgin Atlantic's UK gateways are London Heathrow, London Gatwick and Manchester.

Virgin Atlantic's 787 delivery schedule calls for it to receive four aircraft in 2011. The first is tentatively due to go to the carrier in April that year. Three more 787s are scheduled for delivery in 2012, four in 2013 and four in 2014.

The "very, very extensive" range of the 787-9 - at present the largest model of the 787 offered by Boeing - also would allow Virgin Atlantic to operate its 787s on nonstop services from the UK to destinations such as Perth in Western Australia and to Hawaii, said Ridgway.

"We are the number one long-haul tour operator from the UK," he noted, adding that the 787-9's passenger capacity would be "suitable for some of the smaller islands in the Caribbean and the Indian Ocean." These are leisure destinations that Virgin serves already or would like to serve in future.

Seat configurations among Virgin Atlantic's 787s could vary depending on whether the routes each aircraft operates are primarily business or primarily tourism destinations, said Ridgway.

The airline sees its 787s seating 250-290 passengers. Business destinations would be served by 787s configured with larger premium-class cabins, in which seat widths and the distances between seats would be greater, so the number of seats in these aircraft would be fewer overall.

In addition to its firm order for 15 787s, Virgin Atlantic has also taken options on another eight 787s and negotiated purchase rights on 20 further aircraft. Ridgway revealed the airline has the right to convert its commitments on these 28 aircraft to the larger 787-1000 model that several potential customers - notably Emirates - have been asking Boeing to develop but which the manufacturer has yet to agree to launch.

"We're watching the development of that aircraft with interest," remarked Ridgway.
Old July 19th, 2007, 01:32 AM   #258
yyzer

New Blue Skies agreement with Iceland

hopefully this will lead to Icelandair scheduled service to YYZ by next year....

No. H 139/07
For release July 18, 2007

CANADA'S NEW GOVERNMENT ANNOUNCES
BLUE SKY AGREEMENT WITH THE REPUBLIC OF ICELAND
OTTAWA — The Honourable Lawrence Cannon, Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities, today announced the first Open Skies agreement with the Republic of Iceland, under the Government of Canada's Blue Sky policy.

The new agreement allows airlines of both countries to operate passenger and all-cargo scheduled air services between any city in Canada and Iceland. Canadian carriers will also be allowed to use Iceland as a platform to serve a third country and vice-versa.

"I am pleased that a new air services agreement has been reached with the Republic of Iceland," said Minister Cannon. "This latest agreement under our Blue Sky policy marks another step towards greater choice and flexibility for Canadian travellers, while connecting them to the world."

The new agreement replaces the Memorandum of Understanding on Air Services that has allowed air services to Canada by Icelandair since 1995.

"This Blue Sky agreement will complement the recent free trade agreement signed with Iceland and other countries of the European Free Trade Association, and will help facilitate stronger business ties and enhance tourism between Canada and Iceland," said the Honourable David Emerson, Minister of International Trade. "This should also lead to more international services for travellers, shippers and businesses."

"Icelandair has operated commercial air services to Halifax over a decade," said the Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Minister of the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency. "I am very pleased that Icelandair has made a strong, long-term commitment to maintain and further develop its international air services in Atlantic Canada."

On June 7, 2007, Canada successfully concluded free trade negotiations with the European Free Trade Association countries of Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein. The free trade agreement will provide Canadian businesses with a distinct competitive advantage by providing preferential access to these important markets. The Canada-Iceland Blue Sky agreement will complement this free trade agreement by facilitating the circulation of travellers and cargo between the two countries.

Beginning in summer 2008, the carrier intends to expand its seasonal air service to year-round scheduled service to Halifax.

While the new agreement is now in effect, no new air services are likely to be introduced immediately by airlines of either country.
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #259
yyzer

well, this didn't take long...Icelandair announces YYZ flights beginning next spring....here's their news release, from the Icelandairgroup website...

19.07.2007 13:15
Icelandair Starts Toronto Flights Next Spring
Icelandair has decided to start operations to Toronto in Canada next spring. This will be in addtion to the Halifax flights and Icelandair is also considering services to Montreal, Winnipeg, Ottawa and St. John in Canada. This decision was taken following the completion of the new Open skies agreement signed by the Icelandic and Canadian authorities in Ottawa last week.

"Icelandair has worked ceaslessly over the years and decades to establish an open skies agreement between Iceland and Canada and we are extremely pleased to see that such an agreement has now been concluded. We are ready and willing to enter the Canadian market both with passenger and cargo services. Our flights to Canada, despite the very strict rules enforced by the Canadian authorities, were a clear reflection of our interest in the Canadian market. We believe that this showed the Canadian authorities how serious we are. Now that the agreement is a fact, we see a tremendous opportunity to further develop our route network to serve new and exciting destinations”, says Jon Karl Olafsson, CEO of Icelandair and Icelandair Group.

Toronto is both the largest city in Canada and its main transportation hub. “We are keen to enter this new market, which we believe will become a key gateway for us, like Boston or New York”, says Gunnar Mar Sigurfinnsson, Icelandair SVP of Sales and Marketing. “We are confident that this will become a popular destination for Icelanders as it’s a lively multicultural city with a wide variety of attractions as well as offering great connections for further flights in Canada and the U.S.. We also believe that this gives us a great opportunity to market Iceland, as a destination, as Toronto is a transportation hub which serves a large densely populated area. The open skies agreement also opens up a wealth of opportunities in serving customers travelling between Scandinavia and Canada”, said Gunnar Már.

Icelandair will offer 5-7 flights per week throughout the year to Toronto. Flying time to Toronto is approximately 5 hours and 30 minutes from Iceland, which is similar to Baltimore-Washington in the United States. Today Icelandair operates 160 flights per week to 25 destinations in Europe and N-America.
Old July 20th, 2007, 02:47 AM   #260
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Cool!!!!!!
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto