daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 9th, 2012, 06:34 AM   #2581
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

By the way, I have not reported this one for some time, but...

Caribbean Airlines to mount Georgetown - Toronto flight from next month, will operate 2x weekly. Schedule:

BW606 GEO1520 – 2040YYZ 738 25
BW607 YYZ2300 – 0610+1GEO 738 25

Source

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2012, 06:35 AM   #2582
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
That will not work in a long run. We need a local canadian or serbian airline with some feed on the both ends. Uzbekistan is known for bad reputation and so on. Skyservice tried to snatch some of that traffic, but they miserably failed. They could not offer anything more than one weekly flight. At the end, LH/OS/LX/AC caputerd connecting passengers with their one stop offer via FRA/ZHR/VIE. I think Canada - the former Yugoslavia is a tough nut. Whoever wants to establish a direct link they would need some serious cash because Lufthansa will try to sabotage those flights by offering much cheaper airfares. Once the competition pulls out, back to the same old... That's what they have been doing for some time to Polish LOT. I always come over very cheap airfares to Warsaw on LH website.
Looks like LH is the serious competitor in the service... Comparing AC versus LH, which one is cheaper for Canada-Germany service, and which one offers better service/s?

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old November 10th, 2012, 04:22 AM   #2583
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

Just an FYI, ET switch to 787 equipment tomorrow morning (Nov 10)...this will be the first ever regularly scheduled 787 into YYZ, by any airline...
Old November 10th, 2012, 05:22 AM   #2584
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Lucky! That would mean drones of photographers waiting at the parking lots and near the runways to get a first glimpse of the 787. From which site did you get that information by the way?

Old November 10th, 2012, 06:50 AM   #2585
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Lucky! That would mean drones of photographers waiting at the parking lots and near the runways to get a first glimpse of the 787. From which site did you get that information by the way?
Yeah probably... The bird is right over the pond as we speak. Good times for Toronto Pearson!

http://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/et502/
YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 06:58 AM   #2586
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Looks like LH is the serious competitor in the service... Comparing AC versus LH, which one is cheaper for Canada-Germany service, and which one offers better service/s?
Hmm this goes to AC without a doubt. AC would blow LH away with their new 77W vs LH's A346. Also during the winter AC's B763XM can keep up with LH' A343 because they got the best B763 in the world. Good cash went into those birds to get the flat seats in the front cabin and so on. The airfares are about the same since both of them are part of SA*.
Old November 10th, 2012, 07:20 AM   #2587
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Yeah probably... The bird is right over the pond as we speak. Good times for Toronto Pearson!

http://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/et502/
That's pretty fun. I just hope more ET flights will be operated soon to the US... Probably JFK would be a good next destination. Plus, I wonder what flights, other than ET and LO, will be operated with 787s to YYZ.

Old November 10th, 2012, 07:21 AM   #2588
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Hmm this goes to AC without a doubt. AC would blow LH away with their new 77W vs LH's A346. Also during the winter AC's B763XM can keep up with LH' A343 because they got the best B763 in the world. Good cash went into those birds to get the flat seats in the front cabin and so on. The airfares are about the same since both of them are part of SA*.
Oh yeah. And by the way, I think AC power plugs are available at most seats with AC compared to only F and C classes for LH, true? Plus, I think LH offers F class while AC only has C class as the highest service class on board... Does AC have integrated USB plugs on its PTVs for iPod and iPad charging on board?

Old November 11th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #2589
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
That's pretty fun. I just hope more ET flights will be operated soon to the US... Probably JFK would be a good next destination. Plus, I wonder what flights, other than ET and LO, will be operated with 787s to YYZ.
I could see KE operating from Seoul to Toronto on a 787 rather than a 777. They seem to have scaled back their YYZ operation in the past few years so the 787 seems like the right fit.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 08:22 PM   #2590
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
I could see KE operating from Seoul to Toronto on a 787 rather than a 777. They seem to have scaled back their YYZ operation in the past few years so the 787 seems like the right fit.
That would mean competition in in-flight service for AC versus KE as KE provides Kosmo Suites for F class and lie-flat beds for C class, while AC provides lie-flats, but only with C class.

Old November 12th, 2012, 02:18 AM   #2591
ACT7

Quote:
That would mean competition in in-flight service for AC versus KE as KE provides Kosmo Suites for F class and lie-flat beds for C class, while AC provides lie-flats, but only with C class.
True, but AC no longer operates YYZ-ICN non-stop, so it would be connecting traffic via HKG, PEK, etc that may get affected.
Old November 14th, 2012, 03:05 AM   #2592
ACT7

EZ Jet has suspended operations due to some bizarre financial issues. I don't see that resolving itself anytime soon.

I know this has been discussed before, but are there plans for CX to resume double daily to YYZ? HKG was YYZ's second highest pax destination last year (over 500K) after LHR so it was a very odd move in my opinion - but, hey, what do I know.
Old November 14th, 2012, 03:17 AM   #2593
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18204

Quote:
EZ Jet has suspended operations due to some bizarre financial issues. I don't see that resolving itself anytime soon.

I know this has been discussed before, but are there plans for CX to resume double daily to YYZ? HKG was YYZ's second highest pax destination last year (over 500K) after LHR so it was a very odd move in my opinion - but, hey, what do I know.
CX dropped YYZ's added frequencies not because YYZ was a slowing market, but because the 747's were causing a lot of technical problems so the new 777's were sent to help out on the European routes. The 747 did a lot of Europe long-hauls.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 04:17 AM   #2594
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
CX dropped YYZ's added frequencies not because YYZ was a slowing market, but because the 747's were causing a lot of technical problems so the new 777's were sent to help out on the European routes. The 747 did a lot of Europe long-hauls.
Oh right. So what do you figure the near to mid-term plan is? I can't see them staying with the reduced frequency for too long.
Old November 14th, 2012, 05:09 AM   #2595
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18204

Quote:
Oh right. So what do you figure the near to mid-term plan is? I can't see them staying with the reduced frequency for too long.
I think the reduction is here for a while as the 747's will slowly retire.

From a January CX press release link here :

“In the longer-term, we are investing HK$190 billion at list prices in new aircraft to progressively replace our 21 Boeing 747 passenger aircraft with B777-300ERs and Airbus A350s, with all the older aircraft leaving the fleet by 2017. We will take delivery of 11 new passenger aircraft this year alone,” he said.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 07:35 AM   #2596
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I think the reduction is here for a while as the 747's will slowly retire.

From a January CX press release link here :

“In the longer-term, we are investing HK$190 billion at list prices in new aircraft to progressively replace our 21 Boeing 747 passenger aircraft with B777-300ERs and Airbus A350s, with all the older aircraft leaving the fleet by 2017. We will take delivery of 11 new passenger aircraft this year alone,” he said.
Well that's disappointing...
Old November 14th, 2012, 08:52 AM   #2597
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Btw CP24 (Toronto news channel) is reporting some development at our Billyshop International airport. The construction of that tunnel is about to start in a day or two. I have some images in my camera from a month ago.
Old November 14th, 2012, 09:11 AM   #2598
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Some images of YTZ

So it was Friday night and I was drinking too much, lazy to go to the uptown, so I ended up sleeping at my friend's condo. Once I got up, I took some images. Not the best pictures, but you get an idea.

The terminal and Porter hangar.
Old November 14th, 2012, 09:51 AM   #2599
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Nice shots! It'd be fun to do plane spotting from the water so that you can take departure and arrival shots from a boat.

Old November 14th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #2600
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Nice shots! It'd be fun to do plane spotting from the water so that you can take departure and arrival shots from a boat.
There are several boat tours companies and I'm sure there are a good deal of passengers on those who are looking for just that. There is a large Keep Out area next to the airport thought since it's a short runway planes need to come fairly close to the water to make a landing. Wouldn't want to hit a sailboat!

Billy Bishop is also fairly visible from the boardwalk along the Harbourfront. There's also the ferry to Hanlan's Point which is on the Island side of the runways. If the timing's right you get a plane passing right over the boat!
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto