daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 1st, 2012, 03:58 AM   #2661
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Sweet. I know how you feel when you want to check out some long flights from your old country. That's very understandable.
YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2012, 04:00 AM   #2662
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

Yes, PR118 first flight to YYZ was operated by RP-C7775....too bad about the horrible weather - landing during our first snowfall of the season....

Very nice to see PAL at YYZ.....
Old December 1st, 2012, 04:03 AM   #2663
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
Yes, PR118 first flight to YYZ was operated by RP-C7775....too bad about the horrible weather - landing during our first snowfall of the season....

Very nice to see PAL at YYZ.....
Yeah I think EK was very late as well.
Old December 1st, 2012, 04:13 AM   #2664
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
Sweet. I know how you feel when you want to check out some long flights from your old country. That's very understandable.
Indeed. I would imagine that flight to be like, 15 to 16 hours nonstop, perhaps longer eastbound. But definitely longer westbound, accounting for a stopover in YVR in the process. That would really mean Manila now serves the eastern portion of Canada nonstop, reducing the need to stopover in HKG, NRT, or even ICN in the process. Yet, I still dream of the day that PR will operate its B77W to SFO to replace the B744.

As for the aircraft used, I thought it would send RP-C7777, which is indeed a lucky aircraft registration number (especially in my country wherein numerology in fortune telling is big business)... Yet it is a very good start indeed. I wonder if that inaugural flight is full though, and if it will keep that up in the months to come.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 04:25 AM   #2665
yyzer

There are already some rumours that PAL will be going daily to YYZ at the end of March.....
Old December 1st, 2012, 06:29 AM   #2666
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

that will be great news indeed as it will compete against DL, CX, KE, and AC fighting for passengers on that flight. Plus, it might mean a shorter connection time in MNL for some international flights as well in the process. Yet, I will need to wait for the initial results to see how the capacity load is like because it is an ultra-long-haul flight.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old December 1st, 2012, 11:58 AM   #2667
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Since we are on AC topic, Noir, have you had a chance to use AC's shortlived service from YYZ to ZAG via Zurich? I head AC started Zagreb in the late 1980 and halted afterwards.
No didn't catch that one, but they used a 762 airframe. I saw it once at the airport.
noir-dresses está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 03:20 PM   #2668
yyzer

Wow! Announcement this morning that PAL will be going daily to YYZ, effective Jan 17, 2013....the 3 weekly nonstops to YYZ will be complimented by 4 flights via YVR, eastbound....

http://airlineroute.net/2012/12/01/pr-yyz-jan13update2/
Old December 1st, 2012, 05:51 PM   #2669
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
Wow! Announcement this morning that PAL will be going daily to YYZ, effective Jan 17, 2013....the 3 weekly nonstops to YYZ will be complimented by 4 flights via YVR, eastbound....

http://airlineroute.net/2012/12/01/pr-yyz-jan13update2/
Dang, very interesting indeed. That simply means PR is definitely interested in serving YYZ on a daily basis, but with the nonstop version only available eastbound, 3x a week. I find that fascinating because if it can do nonstop 3x a week, why not increase it to daily?

Old December 1st, 2012, 06:54 PM   #2670
world_rep
BANNED

Likes (Received): 383

Air Transat have increased their Manchester flights from 6 weekly summer 2012, to 9 weekly summer 2014

Double daily flights will operate on Thursday and Sunday, info taken from GDS timetables.
world_rep no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 07:57 AM   #2671
Kuba116

Likes (Received): 24

I personally did not go, but my friend went and caught PAL 77W.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRKpVDemfmw&feature=plcp
Kuba116 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 08:11 AM   #2672
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

^Very good. He is the man because it was around -9C with the windchill when that beauty landed.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 08:22 AM   #2673
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Btw [email protected] on airliners.net

Old December 3rd, 2012, 08:48 AM   #2674
IsaganiZenze
...geologist...

Likes (Received): 0

Linking from my post at PHI forums, from the note of the photographer, it looks like it took 17 hrs 16 mins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaganiZenze
Inaugural Flight - PR118 - MNL to YYZ

Source: YYZTC hosted on Flickr

"Philippine Airlines | RP-C7775 | Boeing 777-3F6/ER

Inaugural flight of Philippine Airlines arriving direct from MNL as "PR118" at 17h16 hours on 30/Nov taxiing to gate after landing on runway 5.They will now serve YYZ direct 3x weekly."
Old December 3rd, 2012, 09:06 AM   #2675
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

No, it meant the flight arrived at 5:16pm Eastern Time (6:16am (add one day) Manila time)

Old December 3rd, 2012, 09:09 AM   #2676
IsaganiZenze
...geologist...

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams
No, it meant the flight arrived at 5:16pm Eastern Time (6:16am (add one day) Manila time)
I see, pardon my ignorance... bahaha military time
Old December 3rd, 2012, 09:20 AM   #2677
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

That's all right. You're welcome to participate here too, as well as on the other threads as well!

Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:32 PM   #2678
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Dang, very interesting indeed. That simply means PR is definitely interested in serving YYZ on a daily basis, but with the nonstop version only available eastbound, 3x a week. I find that fascinating because if it can do nonstop 3x a week, why not increase it to daily?
Current bilateral agreement allows for a maximum of seven (7) weekly frequencies between Canada and the Philippines. There is a restriction for PR to fly into the USA now and because there is a very large Pinoy ex-pat population on the West Coast (Canada and US) that's why they will not drop YVR non-stop.

If these flights are successful, I can see Canada increasing their allowable weekly frequencies to 11-14 to allow "better" non-stop YYZ & YVR service.

Last edited by yyzhyd; December 3rd, 2012 at 11:40 PM.
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 07:38 AM   #2679
Kuba116

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
^Very good. He is the man because it was around -9C with the windchill when that beauty landed.
Ya lol, he said it was freezing and was one of two people there. The 787 cockpit of Ethiopian is also his. Also heard from a reliable source that as soon as the political situation stabilizes in Egypt, Egyptair will commence flights.

Last edited by Kuba116; December 4th, 2012 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Spelling
Kuba116 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 09:28 AM   #2680
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post
Current bilateral agreement allows for a maximum of seven (7) weekly frequencies between Canada and the Philippines. There is a restriction for PR to fly into the USA now and because there is a very large Pinoy ex-pat population on the West Coast (Canada and US) that's why they will not drop YVR non-stop.

If these flights are successful, I can see Canada increasing their allowable weekly frequencies to 11-14 to allow "better" non-stop YYZ & YVR service.
Ah, interesting. I have been monitoring the situation of the Philippines' woes with the FAA (five years now under Category 2 for reasons I still cannot comprehend what takes the government so long to improve its situation), and I am very, very hopeful that once the FAA issues are resolved, PR will finally upgrade the services to SFO and LAX with the B77W and hopefully use the B744 less frequently to be used on other routes instead. If PR chooses to expand operations on the West Coast, then I foresee that the airline will make MNL-SFO and MNL-LAX twice daily, hopefully nonstop for both directions.

Plus, I am looking into expanding Canadian operations too so that it can compete against DL's one-stop services via NRT and NGO en route to and from the United States, as well as existing operations with CX, KE, JL, and AC.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto