daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 4th, 2012, 09:39 AM   #2681
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Hmm I am afraid it's the politics. I spoke to my filipino friend and I told him about the flights, and he was very happy. So while we were on the topic, he said to me that some American special forces are trying to take over a certain island that belongs to the Philippines. That action would create the matter even worse. We had the same issues in the former Yugoslavia with Jat and the flights to Usa where FAA refused to grant CAT1 rating. As the time went on, german/austrian airlines captured our transit passengers. That's why I always pay more to avoid these airlines, even I axed my trip my old country. I deceided not to fly those airlines even if the tickets are FREE of charge. Also I miss Canada because I was away a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Ah, interesting. I have been monitoring the situation of the Philippines' woes with the FAA (five years now under Category 2 for reasons I still cannot comprehend what takes the government so long to improve its situation), and I am very, very hopeful that once the FAA issues are resolved, PR will finally upgrade the services to SFO and LAX with the B77W and hopefully use the B744 less frequently to be used on other routes instead. If PR chooses to expand operations on the West Coast, then I foresee that the airline will make MNL-SFO and MNL-LAX twice daily, hopefully nonstop for both directions.

Plus, I am looking into expanding Canadian operations too so that it can compete against DL's one-stop services via NRT and NGO en route to and from the United States, as well as existing operations with CX, KE, JL, and AC.
YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2012, 09:45 AM   #2682
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11255

That is indeed the scary scenario that PR might face if the Category 2 continues from the FAA. Unless the country finds its ways to amend current laws that the FAA finds unacceptable, as well as fine-tuning several key amendments needed to put the country up to international standards, I see PR falling behind many high-end Asian carriers because it has to find its way to compete against SQ, CX, NH, JL, and even CZ and HU. I may just be speculating here, but I foresee that once the FAA upgrades the Philippines back to Category 1, I would like to see PR do an overhaul of its image and customer service because five years under Category 2 allows the airline to determine its strategies to become a better airline -- just look at the transformation GA made after the airline successfully exited from the EU's banned airlines list.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #2683
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

Transaero are moving many of their transatlantic ops, including YYZ, to Vnukovo airport, effective March 31, 2013....also, they will be upgrading YYZ equipment to the 777-300....

Here is the report from airlineroute.net...

Moscow – Toronto 2 weekly service with 777-300, replaces 777-200 (1 weekly until 25MAY13)
UN517 VKO1220 – 1435YYZ 773 37
UN518 YYZ1635 – 1010+1VKO 773 37
Old December 5th, 2012, 02:05 AM   #2684
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Could be an interesting upcoming year at YYZ...

Quote:
Posted on December 04, 2012 09:47:20 PM

PAL planning up to 14 weekly Toronto flights

ORONTO, CANADA -- Flag carrier Philippine Airlines (PAL) plans to increase flights to Toronto to as many as 14 a week, following its inaugural direct flight from Manila on Friday last week.

During the press conference here on Monday, PAL Vice-President for Marketing Support Felix J. Cruz said consumer response to the airline’s newly launched non-stop Manila-Toronto flight has been “very overwhelming.”

“The thrice-a-week schedule of the Manila-Toronto flight has been fully booked since we launched the service using our brand new Boeing 777-300 ER (Extended Range),” Mr. Cruz said. “Because of this, we thought of adding more flights to cater to the growing clientele,” he added.

The Manila-Toronto route now has flights every Wednesday, Friday and Sunday that leave the Terminal 2 of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport at 3 p.m.

Mr. Cruz said that, starting next month, PAL will add four more flights to Canada’s largest city. These will be 15-hour direct flights from Manila to Toronto every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday also at 3 p.m., the airline official said.

“The return flights of these new schedules will have brief stop-overs in Vancouver from Toronto before flying back to Manila,” he added.

Mr. Cruz said PAL plans to double these flight frequencies to as many as twice a day or up to 14 times a week if demand for the Manila-Toronto route continues to increase.

Toronto is PAL’s 27th international route and 46th destination overall. The flight to Toronto marks the airline’s return to the eastern part of North America in 15 years.

Mr. Cruz said Canada is among the top 10 sources of foreign visitors to the Philippines, with 96,000 Canadian passport-holders visiting the Philippines last year. Mr. Cruz said government tourism officials have expressed confidence that the target of 120,000 Canadian visitors a year will be breached by year-end.

Mr. Cruz said PAL expects delivery of its fifth Boeing 777-300 ER by April next year, which the airline intends to use for its planned direct flights to Darwin, Australia.

“Darwin will be the third PAL destination in Australia after Sydney and Melbourne,” Mr. Cruz said.

Meanwhile, he said PAL is scheduled to implement its “Book and Buy” scheme with Petron Corp. within the next two weeks.

Under the said scheme, tourists can pay for their PAL domestic and international tickets in any of Petron gas station, initially in Metro Manila.

“We are also currently working on a partnership with 7-Eleven to allow customers to pay to the convenience store cashiers for the PAL tickets they purchased online,” he added. -- Jeffrey O. Valisno
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2012, 05:08 AM   #2685
ACT7

Never heard of this airline, but still good news...

Quote:
SkyGreece to Link Athens With Canada, U.S.

By Christina Flora on December 4, 2012 in Business, News, Transport

Coming on the heels of Qatar Airways’ announcement that in January, 2013 it will offer Athens-to-New York flights, a new company, SkyGreece Airlines, based in Canada and with Greek-Canadian interests, is also planning to start direct flights from Athens to Canada, as well as New York and Chicago.

The flights will start in May 2013 and the weekly program will include two flights, one to Toronto and another to Montreal. The flights to New York will be three times a week. The company said it will launch direct flights from Athens to Chicago and South Africa as well.

The company will use Airbus A340-300 aircraft. SkyGreece Airlines said that the Cabin crew will be Greek and their aim is use Greek pilots as well.

The agreement was signed in a meeting held at the home of the Greek Ambassador to Canada, Eleftherios Aggelopoulos’, with managers of the company. SkyGreece’s offices in Montreal will start operating the second week of December, and a few weeks later, the offices in Toronto will be opened. The New York office will open in February. The company’s office at Eleftherios Venizelos Airport in Athens is already open.

SkyGreece is planning to start a promotional campaign in January 2013 and intends to combine flights with cruise itineraries to the Greek islands in summer 2013. Skygreece Airlines was founded in October 2012. The company’s main mission is to re-unite the North American Diaspora with the Greek Homeland. It was founded by a team of entrepreneurs who have extensive careers in the aviation and tourism fields.
Old December 6th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #2686
skyduster

Likes (Received): 334

It's a brand new, start-up airline, and they won't last, IMO. They're obviously hoping to bank on the diaspora market, given the routes that they will be serving. According to their website, all their routes will be between ATH and either New York, Chicago, Montreal, or Toronto. All of these, bar Chicago, already have direct seasonal service with ATH, with two carriers each. Actually, one of the two between New York and Athens, is a year-round route with Qatar Airways, soon to be launched. The other is seasonal with Delta. YUL and YYZ both have seasonal service to ATH with both Air Canada and Air Transat.

You have relatively a saturated market on these routes given current demand, and you have a start up airline hoping to enter that saturated market, with nothing else to offer: no connections beyond ATH, neither domestic, nor to cities outside Greece like LCA, TLV, BEG, SOF, CAI.... hell, even to cities further away like DXB. Unless they're planning to offer code-share with Aegean, Olympic, Sky Express, somebody, for domestic and regional connections, this ambitious airline will go down the same road as Hellenic Imperial. Hoping to bank on the diaspora market is a losing strategy. While there is a demand for direct flights between USA/Canada and Greece, we tend to vastly exaggerate the diaspora's role in this demand. Most of the people on those flights are either Greek residents visiting the USA/Canada (and not Greek-Canadians/Americans), or general Americans/Canadians (not diaspora) visiting Greece. No Greek airline has ever made a profit by focusing on the diaspora market...it's not a winning market, for reasons I explain here. OA's routes to Australia were loss-making ventures, paid for by Greek taxpayers (before privatization of OA, and the ban on state aid to airlines by the European Union). Chicago has never been able to sustain direct flights to ATH, despite a large Greek diaspora.

We could be reading this post 12-18 months from now, and I could be proven wrong. But I don't expect them to last, unless they at least offer domestic/regional connections -either on their own or with partner airlines- on both ends of their transatlantic routes. But to each investor his own, right? At least this isn't being paid for by Greek taxpayers, like OA was in the 80s and 90s.

HELP PROMOTE MEDITERRANEAN GARDENING FOR MEDITERRANEAN CLIMATE REGIONS

boycott dolphinariums
BAN DOLPHINARIUMS IN EUROPE AND WORLDWIDE
Help us make the EU a dolphinarium-free zone

Last edited by skyduster; December 6th, 2012 at 11:52 AM.
skyduster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #2687
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyduster View Post
It's a brand new, start-up airline, and they won't last, IMO. They're obviously hoping to bank on the diaspora market, given the routes that they will be serving. According to their website, all their routes will be between ATH and either New York, Chicago, Montreal, or Toronto. All of these, bar Chicago, already have direct seasonal service with ATH, with two carriers each. Actually, one of the two between New York and Athens, is a year-round route with Qatar Airways, soon to be launched. The other is seasonal with Delta. YUL and YYZ both have seasonal service to ATH with both Air Canada and Air Transat.

You have relatively a saturated market on these routes given current demand, and you have a start up airline hoping to enter that saturated market, with nothing else to offer: no connections beyond ATH, neither domestic, nor to cities outside Greece like LCA, TLV, BEG, SOF, CAI.... hell, even to cities further away like DXB. Unless they're planning to offer code-share with Aegean, Olympic, Sky Express, somebody, for domestic and regional connections, this ambitious airline will go down the same road as Hellenic Imperial. Hoping to bank on the diaspora market is a losing strategy. While there is a demand for direct flights between USA/Canada and Greece, we tend to vastly exaggerate the diaspora's role in this demand. Most of the people on those flights are either Greek residents visiting the USA/Canada (and not Greek-Canadians/Americans), or general Americans/Canadians (not diaspora) visiting Greece. No Greek airline has ever made a profit by focusing on the diaspora market...it's not a winning market, for reasons I explain here. OA's routes to Australia were loss-making ventures, paid for by Greek taxpayers (before privatization of OA, and the ban on state aid to airlines by the European Union). Chicago has never been able to sustain direct flights to ATH, despite a large Greek diaspora.

We could be reading this post 12-18 months from now, and I could be proven wrong. But I don't expect them to last, unless they at least offer domestic/regional connections -either on their own or with partner airlines- on both ends of their transatlantic routes. But to each investor his own, right? At least this isn't being paid for by Greek taxpayers, like OA was in the 80s and 90s.
I actually have very little doubt that you are correct.
Old December 6th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #2688
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9721

Quote:

I Doubt this Airline will survive for a long period of time.
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2012, 04:41 AM   #2689
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:

Just my two cents: I think Aegean Airlines should be the one operating both long-haul flights, not another airline like SkyGreece, because with a business strategy like that, I think it wouldn't last long, let alone find its way to pay up aircraft lessors for the leased aircraft. On top of that, the economic volatility in Greece could hamper the airline's growth severely...

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old December 7th, 2012, 06:01 AM   #2690
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

wELL their goverment made a mistake back in 1999 for not going with a smaller airplane instead of the A340. I am not sure if any of you remember Alitalia switching from MD11/747 to a B736 in 2000, and now you see them flying to YYZ with a brand new A330. That's how you get yourself out of mess.
Old December 7th, 2012, 06:18 AM   #2691
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
AC adding YYZ-IST, YYZ-SEL, and more....

Interesting article in today's Toronto Star newspaper...

http://www.thestar.com/travel/articl...push-into-asia
So are these flights going to operated with a B767XM?
Old December 7th, 2012, 06:46 AM   #2692
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

YYZ-IST will be served with a B763, YYZ-ICN with a B77W. Plus, AC will also expand YVR-PEK service from daily to 11 weekly, both flights operated with B763s.

Old December 7th, 2012, 06:56 AM   #2693
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
YYZ-IST will be served with a B763, YYZ-ICN with a B77W. Plus, AC will also expand YVR-PEK service from daily to 11 weekly, both flights operated with B763s.
I know, but I want to know is it the XM or the other version.
Old December 7th, 2012, 06:59 AM   #2694
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Perhaps it will be the XM version because it isn't stated that it will be a seasonal-only service.

Old December 8th, 2012, 05:31 AM   #2695
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

Cathay Pacific Reinstates Reduced Frequencies to Toronto in S13
http://airlineroute.net/2012/12/08/cx-yyz-s13/

However, I didn't see a press release yet from Cathay.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #2696
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

^1.45PM arrival in Toronto. Good time for spotting.
Old December 8th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #2697
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

What do you mean good spotting time? Which aircraft are you looking for?

Old December 8th, 2012, 11:39 PM   #2698
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Cathay Pacific Reinstates Reduced Frequencies to Toronto in S13
http://airlineroute.net/2012/12/08/cx-yyz-s13/

However, I didn't see a press release yet from Cathay.
Completely reinstated would be double daily but this is a good start.
Old December 9th, 2012, 04:43 AM   #2699
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
I would presume that since it's the middle of the day it'd be much easier to snap photos.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2012, 06:36 AM   #2700
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Well, that's the time when we have european and asian arrivals in 2-3 hours time frame. It gets very busy.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto