daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 24th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #2721
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11245

Perhaps the news for both will come in next year or a year later.

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 25th, 2012, 06:48 AM   #2722
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Maybe I've been living under a rock but does LH not fly daily to YYZ in the winter? I noticed today on the GTAA website that only AC was flying to FRA for Tuesday. Has this always been the case?
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 07:46 AM   #2723
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

LH usually cancels a lot of flights from both FRA and MUC during the Holidays, especially on Christmas and New Year's Days, possibly to make repairs for the aircraft and give the pilots and crew members a decent break with their families. It is usually the case when they determine that flight loads will be low to even operate such long-haul flights. I suspect that LH would operate flights instead to HKG, SIN, BKK, LAX, SFO, JFK, and DXB, as well as other destinations of importance. I'd better check on my FlightBoard app for full details.

Old December 26th, 2012, 12:46 AM   #2724
ACT7

Perhaps, although YYZ is one of their highest pax load routes out of FRA. They must have their reasons and I suspect Christmas day is just light loads. Funny, though, I'm flying to LHR tomorrow on AC 868 and the flight is completely full, both cabins.

In other news, it looks like Transaero has flip-flopped again and are keep YYZ-DME into summer 2013.

http://airlineroute.net/2012/12/25/un-dmeyyz-s13/

Quote:
Transaero to Keep Moscow Domodedovo – Toronto Service in S13
by JL

Update at 0840GMT 25DEC12

As per 25DEC12 GDS timetable and inventory display, Transaero has reversed its plan to move Toronto operation from Moscow Domodedovo to Moscow Vnukovo Airport from 31MAR13.

The carrier will continue to operate Moscow Domodedovo – Toronto route twice a week, on board Boeing 777-300 in Summer 2013 season.

UN517 DME1240 – 1435YYZ 773 26
UN518 YYZ1635 – 1010+1DME 773 26

Service operates Day 6 only from 31MAR13 to 27APR13 and from 12OCT13
Old December 26th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #2725
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I've seen that apparently, and UN, for some reason, has been adjusting US flights from DME to VKO to unify flights, but as I read, DME is basically the airline's hub, with VKO as its focus city.

Old December 30th, 2012, 07:46 AM   #2726
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

There is a new air agreement between Canada and Saudi Arabia...looks like SV to YYZ will now be possible (the old agreement, which dated from the 1990s, restricted them to YUL only)......

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1094...h-saudi-arabia
Old December 30th, 2012, 08:12 AM   #2727
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

That would be interesting to watch. My guess would be a SV flight from JED to YYZ, and it will be operated with a B772 or B77W (if the airline has one).

Old December 31st, 2012, 02:12 AM   #2728
ACT7

Not specifically about YYZ, but I thought this was an interesting piece by the Canadian Tourism Commission. It looks at total scheduled seat capacity, comparing major Canadian airports. What struck me was CX's reduction to YYZ and how much it affected capacity, as well as AI's labour issues and capacity to India.

http://en-corporate.canada.travel/si...f?sc_cid=email

Also, just more interesting stuff. Not sure if this has been floating around, but click on a city using the link below and it will flare out the number of destinations that airport flies to. YYZ stacks up pretty well against some heavy hitters.

http://planefinder.net/route/
Old December 31st, 2012, 02:30 AM   #2729
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
There is a new air agreement between Canada and Saudi Arabia...looks like SV to YYZ will now be possible (the old agreement, which dated from the 1990s, restricted them to YUL only)......

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1094...h-saudi-arabia
Have SV been granted daily rights...?

I'm not familiar with the original agreement so it's certainly going to upset both EK & EY if they have been granted daily considering both carriers want daily rights on the DXB & AUH routes...
Old December 31st, 2012, 03:21 AM   #2730
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Since we're approaching the New Year, I wanna ask: what airline/s would you like to see operate at YYZ starting next year, aside from those reported? Plus, what other destinations would you like to operate out of Toronto?

Old December 31st, 2012, 04:46 AM   #2731
yyzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Since we're approaching the New Year, I wanna ask: what airline/s would you like to see operate at YYZ starting next year, aside from those reported? Plus, what other destinations would you like to operate out of Toronto?
I would like to see a Japanese carrier with scheduled flights to YYZ - either JAL or ANA - this is the big missing link to Asia from YYZ imo, and with over 400 Japanese companies, from auto manufacturers to insurance companies to banks, with their Canadian head offices in southern Ontario, plus the tourist lure of Niagara Falls, it's just unbelievable that we don't have one of them (yet)...
Old December 31st, 2012, 04:48 AM   #2732
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Oh yeah, I just come to realize that one too. AC does a YYZ-NRT flight once a day with a B77W, while others will involve a transfer in either YYC or YVR. Perhaps it can be operated with a B787 since both airlines have them to start with...

Old December 31st, 2012, 04:51 AM   #2733
yyzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Oh yeah, I just come to realize that one too. AC does a YYZ-NRT flight once a day with a B77W, while others will involve a transfer in either YYC or YVR. Perhaps it can be operated with a B787 since both airlines have them to start with...
JAL recently added BOS and SAN with the 787, would be a great fit for YYZ too!
Old December 31st, 2012, 04:53 AM   #2734
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I think though that YYZ, with JL or NH, is better served with a B77W because of a potentially large market to be tapped.

Old December 31st, 2012, 04:56 AM   #2735
yyzer

I agree, although there is a lot more Asian competition at YYZ...I once asked a JL person why they weren't serving YYZ, he told me they wanted YYZ passengers to connect through ORD; although that was years ago, and I would think that the ORD market can support itself these days..
Old December 31st, 2012, 04:57 AM   #2736
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Speaking of ORD, NH will add a second daily NRT-ORD flight on top of its daily service, which, I suspect, would mean tougher competition to start a daily NRT-YYZ service with NH and instead suggesting it to JL.

Old December 31st, 2012, 05:01 AM   #2737
yyzer

makes sense...
Old December 31st, 2012, 05:27 AM   #2738
yyzer

hot off the press....SV adding YYZ - 3rd quarter 2013 could mean as early as July...looks like with 777-200s...

Saudia plans flights to Toronto, LA

JEDDAH: ARAB NEWS

Monday 31 December 2012
Last Update 31 December 2012 2:37 am

Saudi Arabian Airlines will operate two new flights to Toronto and Los Angeles, it was announced yesterday. Prince Fahd bin Abdullah, president of the General Authority of Civil Aviation and chairman of Saudia’s board of directors, has approved the plan. “We’ll operate flights to the Canadian city in the third quarter of 2013 and Los Angeles in the second quarter of 2014,” said Khaled Al-Molhem, director general of the airline. Saudia currently operates flights to the US cities of Washington and New York.
He said Saudia would receive four out of 20 Boeing 777-300ER aircraft by the end of 2013. “We’ll use this aircraft for our Los Angeles flights,” he said while highlighting the plane’s advanced features enhancing passenger comfort.
He said the new flights would serve Saudi scholarship students in Canada and the US apart from other passengers. From April 2013, Saudia will operate 14 flights weekly to Washington and New York, using larger aircraft. Al-Molhem disclosed plans to operate 11 flights weekly to Paris (seven from Jeddah and four from Riyadh) using B777-200 aircraft, and 14 flights to Geneva (seven each from Jeddah and Riyadh) from the peak of summer.
He said the airline’s huge investment on aircraft and IT infrastructure had yielded fruits in terms of increase in number of passengers and record rise in revenues in 2012.

http://www.arabnews.com/saudia-plans-flights-toronto-la
Old December 31st, 2012, 06:38 AM   #2739
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

3rd quarter 2013 would mean like September or October. But indeed, I was right about SV using B772s to YYZ as it will launch service! I suspect that the service will come from Jeddah, if not both Jeddah and Riyadh.

Old December 31st, 2012, 06:58 AM   #2740
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by EK413 View Post
Have SV been granted daily rights...?

I'm not familiar with the original agreement so it's certainly going to upset both EK & EY if they have been granted daily considering both carriers want daily rights on the DXB & AUH routes...
I guess I've asked a difficult question...

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto