daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 31st, 2012, 11:04 PM   #2761
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18198

You need a strong business clientele filling up premium seats to make an ultra long-haul work. Domestic helpers are not going to be paying those premium fares. A full plane is not the same as a profitable one.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 31st, 2012, 11:13 PM   #2762
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
You need a strong business clientele filling up premium seats to make an ultra long-haul work. Domestic helpers are not going to be paying those premium fares. A full plane is not the same as a profitable one.
That's the hard reality. Perhaps changes in policy in my home country is desperately needed to lure even more business travelers and invest more in the Philippines. Yet, I still find PAL doing a great effort in bridging the huge divide in services between the West Coast and the Eastern Seaboard. Perhaps a stronger and friendlier business climate in my country will do wonders, as well as increasing wages and making jobs more attractive to locals.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 11:57 PM   #2763
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
I would probably say it's probably because of competition with Air Canada on that route, plus the Latin American community in Canada is also relatively small in comparison with the US so it does not leave much room for other cariers to serve the market.
It's not necessarily about the size of the community when considering a hub. AC's strategy with South America in addition to serving the local market is to funnel Asian, US, and European traffic through YYZ to SCL and GRU, etc. When I took AC's flight to SCL, more than half the flight seemed to be connecting European traffic from France and other western European countries. There was also a sizeable contingent of Asian pax carrying foreign passports.

As an aside, COPA is starting service to YYZ next year from Cartegna. Here is the link from some time ago.

http://colombiareports.com/travel-in...uk-canada.html

Last edited by ACT7; January 1st, 2013 at 12:03 AM.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 12:41 AM   #2764
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Perhaps it explains YYZ's extensive connections to Europe and South America... But I think MIA does a similar job, with much more connections.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old January 1st, 2013, 01:00 AM   #2765
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Perhaps it explains YYZ's extensive connections to Europe and South America... But I think MIA does a similar job, with much more connections.
I don't think MIA's European network is nearly as extensive as YYZ's. Of course MIA has more service to South America than any NA airport. That's a factor of both expat population and proximity.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 01:36 AM   #2766
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
I don't think MIA's European network is nearly as extensive as YYZ's. Of course MIA has more service to South America than any NA airport. That's a factor of both expat population and proximity.
That's the big irony... MIA has an extensive Latin American and Caribbean network that makes me wonder why not direct flights via MIA where an abundance of such flights is available?

Old January 1st, 2013, 09:23 PM   #2767
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Right on! These days, they probably need to sell some pricey seats on a 757 to be profitable over the atlantic. So called the short hops operating "thin" routes with very limited profit margins.
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:09 PM   #2768
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
That's the big irony... MIA has an extensive Latin American and Caribbean network that makes me wonder why not direct flights via MIA where an abundance of such flights is available?
Actually MIA does have a sizable European network as well thanks to it's status as a major tourism destination and being a major airline hub, it's just not to the same extent of YYZ, since you have more charters and less mainline carriers.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:21 PM   #2769
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Un-frickin'-believable! 2013 is shaping up to be an awesome year at YYZ!
Hmm yes and no. If you look at the late 1980s, I still think we are missing some 747s . I am not sure if we could get a few more 747s and one more A380, but if we do, at that point we can relax for a bit.
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:45 PM   #2770
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post

Actually MIA does have a sizable European network as well thanks to it's status as a major tourism destination and being a major airline hub, it's just not to the same extent of YYZ, since you have more charters and less mainline carriers.
Interesting. And MIA is closer to Chile and most Latin American and Caribbean countries than Canada, so it is naturally a major air hub into itself. Perhaps JFK and YYZ share their roles as major air hubs for the northern part of the US and southern part of eastern Canada, respectively.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:00 AM   #2771
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
Hmm yes and no. If you look at the late 1980s, I still think we are missing some 747s . I am not sure if we could get a few more 747s and one more A380, but if we do, at that point we can relax for a bit.
But since then the world's changed. Back in the 80s many airlines flew one (or two) 747 per week to YYZ to serve their immigrant communities here. Now the emphasis is more frequent service and higher yields thanks to airline alliances and freer markets. TBH it's doubtful YYZ can receive more than five airlines with 747-8 and 380. Even Air Canada has no plans for either.
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:05 AM   #2772
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I think YYZ should contend with more B777s flying in and out of the airport. Those are quieter than the 747s, and besides, those burn less fuel than the B747 or A380 to begin with.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:29 AM   #2773
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Well, we have a regular KLM 747, BA 747 and EVA maybe? LH used to send their 747s not long ago, but they wanted to support the A340 program.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:31 AM   #2774
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Etihad will most likely fly a 380 to YYZ for sure, maybe BA to.
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:33 AM   #2775
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by noir-dresses View Post
Yeah sounds pretty realistic, so I would not say it's a long shot to get five super jambos to YYZ.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:34 AM   #2776
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Well, we have a regular KLM 747, BA 747 and EVA maybe? LH used to send their 747s not long ago, but they wanted to support the A340 program.
EVA Air operates their B77Ws to YYZ. Their B744s (and their B74Es -- meaning the one with a cargo combo at the rear) are mostly used on their short-haul, heavy-load routes from TPE like HKG, MNL, and occasionally BKK. And their B744s are slowly being retired to make way for the A332s and B77Ws.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:35 AM   #2777
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by noir-dresses View Post
As of the moment, Etihad does not operate any A380s... It still has their B77Ws and A346s.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:36 AM   #2778
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
EVA Air operates their B77Ws to YYZ. Their B744s (and their B74Es -- meaning the one with a cargo combo at the rear) are mostly used on their short-haul, heavy-load routes from TPE like HKG, MNL, and occasionally BKK. And their B744s are slowly being retired to make way for the A332s and B77Ws.
I was not sure. Yeah Toronto is mostly B777 playground, but they are still amazing to spot. I love their wings.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:42 AM   #2779
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Mhmm. But are the Embraers and CRJs great-looking aircraft too to spot at YYZ?

Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:51 AM   #2780
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Mhmm. But are the Embraers and CRJs great-looking aircraft too to spot at YYZ?
I tend to find the CRJs very thin and sexy looking. The Embraers do look a bit funny for some reason. I suppose the smaller winglets look unique on them. It's canadian vs brazilian product, but I think the Embraers are selling better lately.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto