daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:57 AM   #2781
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11255

really? CRJs are thin and sexy? It makes me think that the Embraers are very interesting, as those are somehow like replicas of the B737 myself, albeit smaller. But I find the Embraers much more mature than the CRJs myself, although its smaller cousins are indeed in the commuter aircraft category (the E190 and E195 are indeed in the small jet category, so are the E170 and E175). It's one of those quirks: is Embraer really a passenger jet or just a commuter jet... or both?

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2013, 03:26 AM   #2782
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Haha I guess I am used to looking the bigger birds. Btw on Friday I went to the airport to pick someone up, and I saw PAL's B777. It took off while I was on the highway. The filipino flag on the tail looked so crisp. The plane looked very heavy upon take off. (8:30ish PM departure)
YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 03:40 AM   #2783
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Oh thank you! By that time, it would have gone via Vancouver first en route to Manila. And by the time passengers arrive in Manila, it would have been Sunday, meaning those who boarded in Toronto spent their Saturday on board the aircraft!

And yes, the Philippine flag on the tail has been used for over 20 years now... plus, many of PAL's flights, especially the long-haul ones, seem indeed to be very heavy, especially with the number of passengers on board every flight.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old January 2nd, 2013, 03:44 AM   #2784
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
It's not necessarily about the size of the community when considering a hub. AC's strategy with South America in addition to serving the local market is to funnel Asian, US, and European traffic through YYZ to SCL and GRU, etc. When I took AC's flight to SCL, more than half the flight seemed to be connecting European traffic from France and other western European countries. There was also a sizeable contingent of Asian pax carrying foreign passports.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Perhaps it explains YYZ's extensive connections to Europe and South America... But I think MIA does a similar job, with much more connections.
YYZ is trying to position itself as an international hub in North America given the restrictions with some coutries for transiting through the US. I know many people who look for trips which avoid connections through the US for a variety of reasons.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 03:46 AM   #2785
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Hmm interesting view point. Perhaps many travelers want to avoid the additional hassle of expanded security checks right before boarding any US-bound aircraft, thus many travelers choose to go through YYZ. And I believe that YYZ is a great airport in itself as AC's main hub.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 03:53 AM   #2786
Gil

I wasn't sure if you were aware of the situation since you're viewing the situation from the US. Yes, the extra security measures are a turnoff for some (For one, US-bound flights are still subject to shoe removal at security while all other flights you get to keep your shoes on). The visa issue is another, which is probably one reason PR was looking to increase service to Canada. A separate visa simply to transit is required, for some the added cost and hassle aren't worth the potentially cheaper flight through the US to get to Canada from the Philippines. This is probably the case for the other nationals ACT7 noticed on the flight to SCL.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:04 AM   #2787
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Hmmm... Looks like the US should really reconsider the visa policies because while it is a great place to go to, it can indeed be a huge hassle for passengers transiting through any American airport, especially in terms of dealing with security. I don't know if and when the US will start relaxing its security policies a bit, if not for the Republicans who keep some of the people "paranoid" that other nations, including the UN will start attacking the country.

And also, now that AI is already adding more B787s to its fleet, is there a possibility that the airline could swap its B77L (B777-200LR) used on the DEL-YYZ flight for the B787?

Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:18 AM   #2788
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
I wasn't sure if you were aware of the situation since you're viewing the situation from the US. Yes, the extra security measures are a turnoff for some (For one, US-bound flights are still subject to shoe removal at security while all other flights you get to keep your shoes on). The visa issue is another, which is probably one reason PR was looking to increase service to Canada. A separate visa simply to transit is required, for some the added cost and hassle aren't worth the potentially cheaper flight through the US to get to Canada from the Philippines. This is probably the case for the other nationals ACT7 noticed on the flight to SCL.
Hmm I am not quite sure if YYZ is taking adventage to become a hub. There are way too many negative reviews from the transit passengers. They keep saying that immigration is a pain the butt. From what I saw, the border guards keep asking way too many personal questions. It's all on skytrax page. I can't comment because I always get off at YYZ.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 06:08 AM   #2789
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Two main things need to happen to make YYZ a true international hub.

1) Remove that silly rule where transit passengers have to clear Canadian customs (make it like European hubs where you can freely roam between your flights in the post-security section.

2) Make luggage be automatically routed to your final destination. I have no idea why you'd have to grab your luggage and get it checked again if you're transiting.
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 06:20 AM   #2790
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
Two main things need to happen to make YYZ a true international hub.

1) Remove that silly rule where transit passengers have to clear Canadian customs (make it like European hubs where you can freely roam between your flights in the post-security section.

2) Make luggage be automatically routed to your final destination. I have no idea why you'd have to grab your luggage and get it checked again if you're transiting.
Isn't that the case as of right now? I thought international passengers who are just making connections at YYZ just have to go through a security checkpoint first, with any checked luggage automatically transferred into the next flight?
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 06:21 AM   #2791
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Isn't that the case as of right now? I thought international passengers who are just making connections at YYZ just have to go through a security checkpoint first, with any checked luggage automatically transferred into the next flight?
I think what Filip describes are the current policies for transiting passengers at YYZ. May be true now, or could be different... Depends on policy.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:13 PM   #2792
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
I think what Filip describes are the current policies for transiting passengers at YYZ. May be true now, or could be different... Depends on policy.
According to Air Canada and the official Toronto Airport website, international passengers transferring to another international flight just have to clear a security checkpoint where they have to show documentation and then they can head directly to their gate to board their next flight. Apparently passengers only have to clear customs and immigration if their final destination is within Canada, and passengers can even clear US customs in Toronto (bypassing Canadian customs entirely) if their final destination is within the US.

Toronto Airport: Connecting

Air Canada: Between two international cities - connecting through Toronto

Air Canada: International flight to the U.S. - connecting through Toronto

Honestly this does not sound that much different than say Frankfurt where all passengers have to go through a security checkpoint and have your documentation checked, first even if you are just connecting to another non-Schengen flight.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:45 PM   #2793
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Ah they must have changed it from a few years ago! I remember a friend complaining about having to go through security again and having to claim his baggage. That sounded ridiculous compared to my seamless transfers in Europe.
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:34 PM   #2794
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
According to Air Canada and the official Toronto Airport website, international passengers transferring to another international flight just have to clear a security checkpoint where they have to show documentation and then they can head directly to their gate to board their next flight. Apparently passengers only have to clear customs and immigration if their final destination is within Canada, and passengers can even clear US customs in Toronto (bypassing Canadian customs entirely) if their final destination is within the US.

Toronto Airport: Connecting

Air Canada: Between two international cities - connecting through Toronto

Air Canada: International flight to the U.S. - connecting through Toronto

Honestly this does not sound that much different than say Frankfurt where all passengers have to go through a security checkpoint and have your documentation checked, first even if you are just connecting to another non-Schengen flight.
I find those comforting and much easier to transit than I originally thought! I think the fear of Americans of another attack that prevents the TSA and the FAA to ease its policies (by just a bit) on transit passengers, especially on security management.

Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:44 PM   #2795
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Well this is no good...

http://airlineroute.net/2013/01/03/ai-yyz-mar13update/

Quote:
Air India Postpones Planned Toronto Service Resumption due March 2013
by JL

Update at 0600GMT 03JAN13

As per 03JAN13 GDS timetable and inventory display, Air India has postponed planned service resumption on Delhi – Toronto route, due 01MAR13. Reservations for this daily Boeing 777-300ER nonstop service is closed.

Previously planned schedule as follows.

AI187 DEL0215 – 0815YYZ 77W D
AI188 YYZ1550 – 1510+1DEL 77W D
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2013, 12:07 AM   #2796
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
I find those comforting and much easier to transit than I originally thought! I think the fear of Americans of another attack that prevents the TSA and the FAA to ease its policies (by just a bit) on transit passengers, especially on security management.
Well I think one reason why the US has a very strict policy on international transit passengers is because the airports themselves are built very differently, where all arriving passengers are forced to go through US Customs and Immigration irregardless of final destination.

Most major Canadian airports on the other hand such as Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, etc have separate areas for domestic flights, flights destined for the US (in which passengers clear US Customs at the airport before the flight takes off for the US), and international flights.
Old January 4th, 2013, 06:45 AM   #2797
Gil

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
Hmm I am not quite sure if YYZ is taking adventage to become a hub. There are way too many negative reviews from the transit passengers. They keep saying that immigration is a pain the butt. From what I saw, the border guards keep asking way too many personal questions. It's all on skytrax page. I can't comment because I always get off at YYZ.
The hub came from a piece on the arrival of Howard Eng as CEO of the GTAA last summer. Here's one article:

Pearson Airport lands high-flying CEO

"...The GTAA’s business goal is to transform Pearson into the pre-eminent hub, the connecting airport of choice for travelers to Europe and Asia. ..."

In other news, here's an interesting take on the operation of the GTAA from a foreign perspective (in this case the Philippine Star) I found while digging up the other article:

Toronto airport privately run
Old January 4th, 2013, 07:41 AM   #2798
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

The Philippine Star is one of the daily broadsheets I used to read when I was in Manila, the others include the Philippine Daily Inquirer, Manila Bulletin, Manila Standard Today, and Business World.

Old January 6th, 2013, 01:45 AM   #2799
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Flying back from LHR today, I noticed ET sent a 772 to YYZ this morning. High loads perhaps or was this a scheduled change? Also, that flight must have been really late since my flight, AC 869, arrived at noon.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 01:47 AM   #2800
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Could be that their B787 went tech? My bet would be the good loads.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto