daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 6th, 2013, 02:38 AM   #2801
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

So what is exactly going on with Air India? They're still operating their route to Chicago from what I can see..
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2013, 02:56 AM   #2802
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11255

I believe what's going on is that AI is still negotiating with its unions to make a deal on employment compensation. It has resulted in pilot and crew member strikes for some time now because it looks like the owners, labor leaders, and the government have not reached a deal.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #2803
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
So what is exactly going on with Air India? They're still operating their route to Chicago from what I can see..
They're an unbelievable mess of an airline on a good day. It does seem odd to cancel Toronto outright though so there might be something else going on there that isn't being made public. I'm also guessing that YYZ will be a good AI 787 candidate in the not too distant future.

AI's woes have been an absolute boon for EK and EY out of YYZ though, that's for sure.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #2804
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

True. But wait a minute... Is 9W also benefiting from the AI flop? It does YYZ-BOM via BRU, and in BRU, passengers can switch flights to DEL.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old January 7th, 2013, 04:10 AM   #2805
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
True. But wait a minute... Is 9W also benefiting from the AI flop? It does YYZ-BOM via BRU, and in BRU, passengers can switch flights to DEL.
I thought it does YYZ-BRU-DEL. Either way, you're right, it's likely benefitting as well.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 04:47 AM   #2806
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

The only thing with 9W is that it operates with a smaller aircraft (A332), but oh well, I think if AI continues its delays with resuming its nonstop YYZ-DEL flight, then it will make a significant impact on the future of Canada-India services.

Old January 7th, 2013, 06:39 AM   #2807
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
That's the hard reality. Perhaps changes in policy in my home country is desperately needed to lure even more business travelers and invest more in the Philippines. Yet, I still find PAL doing a great effort in bridging the huge divide in services between the West Coast and the Eastern Seaboard. Perhaps a stronger and friendlier business climate in my country will do wonders, as well as increasing wages and making jobs more attractive to locals.
Selling the seats in the front cabin is a mission on its own. I met some folks in coach class that would avoid a direct flight if they can save $50 dollars. Imagine $100, $200 or more.
YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 07:41 AM   #2808
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Well, a direct flight can be a bit more expensive, but it would mean saving time transferring between flights at another airport, especially when a visa may be needed to transit through a country.

Old January 7th, 2013, 07:57 AM   #2809
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2346

When will YYZ continue with its expansion plans ? Have they knocked down the old terminal two parking lot yet ?
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #2810
egypt69

Likes (Received): 1518

Not sure if you guys heard about this or not, but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus! View Post
Hello All,

Well I haven't posted here in a while but I thought I'd post some good news on EgyptAir (the ongoing developments & uncertainty in the country have significantly hampered the airline's plans).

But as I said there is some good news and that is the launch of Toronto services next year - exactly 2 years later than originally planned.

The 4x weekly B77W service will launch from 02JUN13 with the following schedule:
MS995 CAI YYZ 23:55 06:45 1-3-5-7 B77W
MS996 YYZ CAI 12:45 06:15 12-4-6- B77W

I imagine a few on this board will be happy with this development.

This B77W is currently operated on the Guangzhou (CAN) route. Once this new route starts, the airline will bring back one of the stored B777-200ER aircraft to operate the CAN route and selected flights to JED.

Horus!
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...935314&page=43

This is going to be super convenient for me

EgyptAir's B77W that would be used on the route:

Old January 7th, 2013, 10:00 AM   #2811
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I've originally posted that already, Egypt! It's like a few pages back, and I got it from Airline Route.

Old January 7th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #2812
egypt69

Oh, my apologies
Old January 7th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #2813
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

What a stunner! Can't wait.
Old January 8th, 2013, 05:56 AM   #2814
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

YTZ

image hosted on flickr

DSC02638 by palmjet, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC02652 by palmjet, on Flickr

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:02 AM   #2815
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by noir-dresses View Post
When will YYZ continue with its expansion plans ? Have they knocked down the old terminal two parking lot yet ?
I would not say it is needed yet. I think the parking lot as well as that garage is gone for some time already.
Old January 8th, 2013, 06:18 AM   #2816
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Just a reminder, on February the 1st (Friday), Polish LOT B787 will be heading to YYZ.
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:49 AM   #2817
egypt69

I love YTZ, I can't wait till I start my cross country hours so I can land and take off from there
Old January 8th, 2013, 08:31 AM   #2818
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I would too, but it seems like Porter Airlines is the only scheduled airline service flying in and out of Toronto City (Billy Bishop) Airport.

Old January 8th, 2013, 10:09 AM   #2819
egypt69

Quote:
I would too, but it seems like Porter Airlines is the only scheduled airline service flying in and out of Toronto City (Billy Bishop) Airport.
I'm not talking about airlines. I'm talking about my flying lessons, i.e. ME flying a Cessna to YTZ for a day trip to Toronto then flying it home at the end of the day.
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #2820
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Ah, I thought you're flying out of it on a commercial flight. That's good that you're doing flying lessons!

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto