daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 16th, 2013, 07:03 AM   #2861
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10982

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Wait a second: AC is owned by the Canadian government?
No, it's a public traded firm with no government ownership ... and has been for a very long time.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2013, 07:17 AM   #2862
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

Oh ok. So it means it is owned privately, yet it is also listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange as a public firm.

Moving along, question: what is the possibility that AC could operate a YYZ-HAV flight on a daily, scheduled basis (not just like once a week or charters)? And is it possible for more African carriers to fly direct to YYZ?

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 07:33 AM   #2863
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10982

The firm was privatized in 1988 and is listed on the TSX. I imagine their largest shareholders are pension funds and other institutional investors. The only vestiges of government control is the stipulation that global headquarters must be in Montreal in perpetuity.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 08:16 AM   #2864
Kuba116

Likes (Received): 24

Just in case some of you haven't heard: http://business.financialpost.com/20...-cabin-report/
Kuba116 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #2865
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
And is it possible for more African carriers to fly direct to YYZ?
Kenya Airways will likely be introducing YYZ in and around 2014/2015. It will be their first NA destination. Also, just came across this article. It's a long way out but interesting to see such obscure airlines looking at YYZ as a destination. Great news if this pans out...

http://www.turizmtatilseyahat.com/en...italy-4989.htm

Quote:
Turkmenistan plans flight path negotiations with Italy

16 January, 2013 | 14:41

Merdan Ayazov, head of the State National Service “Turkmen Hova Yullari” (Turkmenistan Airlines), has paid a visit to Milan, Italy.

Talks on cooperation in air transport are planned to be held there, an official Turkmen source said today.

Negotiations are expected to end on January 17.

It was reported in August of 2012 that Turkmenistan Airlines envisage opening new cost effective flights from Turkmenbashi to Istanbul (Turkey), Moscow (Russia) and Aktau (Kazakhstan) and from the airport in Ashgabat to Urumqi (China), Phuket (Thailand), Novosibirsk (Russia), Milan ( Italy), Antalya (Turkey), Seoul (Republic of Korea) and Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) between 2012-2015.

Further modernization of Turkmenistan’s civil aviation fleet and an increase in the number of Boeing aircraft to 31 between 2016-2020 will open new flights from Turkmenbashi to St. Petersburg (Russia) and from Ashgabat to Jeddah and Medina (Saudi Arabia), Cochin and Ahmedabat (India), Samara (Russia), Hanoi (Vietnam), Vienna (Austria), Sofia (Bulgaria), Budapest (Hungary), Manama (Bahrain), New York (USA) and Toronto (Canada).

At present, besides domestic flights, Turkmenistan Airlines makes regular flights to Abu Dhabi, Amritsar, Almaty, Bangkok, Birmingham, Delhi, Dubai, Kiev, London, Moscow, Minsk, Beijing, Istanbul, Saint-Petersburg, Frankfurt and other world cities.

Turkmenistan became a full member of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), which is a UN specialized agency that was formed in April 1993. At present, work on Turkmenistan’s accession to the International Air Transportation Association (IATA) is underway.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2013, 11:27 PM   #2866
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
No, it's a public traded firm with no government ownership ... and has been for a very long time.
Since 1988? If so how they got on their feet once they went under? Who pitched in the cash/
YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 02:42 AM   #2867
Kuba116

787 has been grounded worldwide. http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/faa-grou...heck-1.1116293
Old January 17th, 2013, 02:51 AM   #2868
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

That means ET might not operate its ADD-YYZ route with a B787; rather, it might be operated with a different aircraft (e.g. 763ER, 77L).

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old January 17th, 2013, 03:05 AM   #2869
Kuba116

Quote:
That means ET might not operate its ADD-YYZ route with a B787; rather, it might be operated with a different aircraft (e.g. 763ER, 77L).
Exactly, and I was supposed to go snap some photos of it Saturday morning. The problem is it is uncertain how long it will be grounded and may affect LOT 787 to YYZ. My friend is due to fly on that first flight to YYZ so hopefully the grounding will not be that long.
Old January 17th, 2013, 03:19 AM   #2870
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

There is already a 736ER in the database on airliners photos.
Old January 17th, 2013, 03:22 AM   #2871
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba116 View Post
Exactly, and I was supposed to go snap some photos of it Saturday morning. The problem is it is uncertain how long it will be grounded and may affect LOT 787 to YYZ. My friend is due to fly on that first flight to YYZ so hopefully the grounding will not be that long.
Yeah I also want to get a picture of that B787, but February the first is going to be an evening arrival around 8pm, so you may want to wait for the 4th February 4pm arrival. Just so you know.
Old January 17th, 2013, 08:39 AM   #2872
Kuba116

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
Yeah I also want to get a picture of that B787, but February the first is going to be an evening arrival around 8pm, so you may want to wait for the 4th February 4pm arrival. Just so you know.
Yes, it's coming 8pm, I was planning to go see the inaugural 787 of LOT at YYZ because I am Polish after all but that might not even be possible now, same with Ethiopian for the time being. http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...24-boeing-787s
Old January 17th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #2873
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I think the 787s will be replaced by another aircraft: for LOT, it will remain with the 763ER, perhaps for ET, it would be either a 763 or 77L. But, I think both airlines will resume their 787 services as soon as the Li-Ion Battery Pack issues are addressed.

Anyways, next question: do you believe that Toronto airports can serve even more destinations in the United States? If so, where would you like to operate them?

Old January 17th, 2013, 10:26 AM   #2874
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba116 View Post
Yes, it's coming 8pm, I was planning to go see the inaugural 787 of LOT at YYZ because I am Polish after all but that might not even be possible now, same with Ethiopian for the time being. http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...24-boeing-787s
Would there be a ceremony? Even if so, that will take place around the gate area, so you would need like a media photographer pass to get there. That's how the CP24 news crew got in the EK's A380. Btw if you are going to be near by, an SLR can still take some sharp videos at night time. It was pretty good the last time when I was at the airport because, I saw PAL take off with a B773ER, and as I drove away on the airport road, EK A380 sneaked out as well.
Old January 18th, 2013, 10:40 PM   #2875
canuckbanana

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Oh ok. So it means it is owned privately, yet it is also listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange as a public firm.

Moving along, question: what is the possibility that AC could operate a YYZ-HAV flight on a daily, scheduled basis (not just like once a week or charters)? And is it possible for more African carriers to fly direct to YYZ?
Air Canada already serves YYZ-HAV with a daily scheduled service, as advertised on the cover of their latest timetable:
Old January 19th, 2013, 03:35 AM   #2876
Kuba116

From today; was freezing so shooting was very difficult:

Grabbing a glimpse;P

Equario liked this post
Old January 19th, 2013, 03:46 AM   #2877
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Spectacular shots! I really love your AC pics, and it's so good to see a KL B747 operating at YYZ too! Well done!

Old January 19th, 2013, 08:21 AM   #2878
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Yeah KLM 747 is there to stay, but BA sends mix of 747/777 for the evening flight.
Old January 19th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #2879
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

PAL Maiden Flight to Toronto

Old January 22nd, 2013, 05:49 PM   #2880
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

United really can't seem to make this route work...

http://airlineroute.net/2013/01/22/ua-sfoyyz-s13cxld/

Quote:
UNITED Cancels San Francisco – Toronto Service from April 2013
by JL

Update at 0620GMT 22JAN13

UNITED from 01APR13 is cancelling San Francisco – Toronto service, where it currently operates 6 weekly flights. Last departure from Toronto is 01APR13. Operational schedule for March 2013 as follows.

UA871 SFO1300 – 2051YYZ 32S 23
UA364 SFO1300 – 2051YYZ 32S x236
UA297 YYZ0655 – 0947SFO 32S x7
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto