daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 25th, 2013, 05:31 AM   #2981
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
Sweet! Any idea on which runway they will be using? Could be a 23R since it's right beside that Fedex terminal.
Too early to tell, but you are right, they will probably try to put him on the runway closest to the Fedex facility...

Hope the pandas enjoy their visit here! (they'll be here for 5 years)..

Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2013, 06:11 AM   #2982
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
Too early to tell, but you are right, they will probably try to put him on the runway closest to the Fedex facility...

Hope the pandas enjoy their visit here! (they'll be here for 5 years)..

Fair enough. Btw I always wanted to ask were you into aircraft spotting when you moved to Toronto in your earlier days? The reason why I am asking is because I met an older gentleman your age last Spring. He explained to me that he started visiting the airport in his teens, back in the mid to late 1970s. He told me that the TTC only ran to Kipling, so he had to walk to Dixon road and the 427. It was amazing just to have an opportunity to hear what Toronto was back in those days. That was the time when YYZ had just two runways. From what I heard the R24 was the main runway and the R23 as a secondary, but for some reason, the bigger birds would be more frequent on the R24. When I asked him why that was the case, he said that the 23R was shorter runway in those days.
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 06:43 AM   #2983
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Fair enough. Btw I always wanted to ask were you into aircraft spotting when you moved to Toronto in your earlier days? The reason why I am asking is because I met an older gentleman your age last Spring. He explained to me that he started visiting the airport in his teens, back in the mid to late 1970s. He told me that the TTC only ran to Kipling, so he had to walk to Dixon road and the 427. It was amazing just to have an opportunity to hear what Toronto was back in those days. That was the time when YYZ had just two runways. From what I heard the R24 was the main runway and the R23 as a secondary, but for some reason, the bigger birds would be more frequent on the R24. When I asked him why that was the case, he said that the 23R was shorter runway in those days.
Yeah, I worked for an airline at YYZ way back in the day, and that got me into spotting...when I worked there (at old terminal 1), there were 3 runways..what is now called 23/5, what today is 24R/6L, and what is 33R/15L...there's been a lot of changes, and although my airline days are long past, I still try to get out occasionally...
Old March 25th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #2984
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

The airplane landed on 06L... I was lazy to go all the way down.
Old March 26th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #2985
Jamie2k9

Likes (Received): 0

Aer Lingus will confirm flights to YYZ in the next few weeks. Flights will start around March 2014 and operate with B757-200.
Jamie2k9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 10:30 PM   #2986
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
Aer Lingus will confirm flights to YYZ in the next few weeks. Flights will start around March 2014 and operate with B757-200.
So exciting!

YYZ is seeing a bunch of new carriers recently.. Is this going to be a seasonal route like AC/TS or will it be year-round?

Btw, just a general question for anyone who might know: any updates on Saudia's plans for Toronto? I don't think they have confirmed anything yet....
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 02:35 AM   #2987
Jamie2k9

Quote:
So exciting!

YYZ is seeing a bunch of new carriers recently.. Is this going to be a seasonal route like AC/TS or will it be year-round?
Should be year round can't give the freq or the service but would imagine daily in summer and 4 weekly in winter.
Old March 27th, 2013, 08:50 AM   #2988
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11245

Quote:
Hold on: I know that Aer Lingus operates A330s for their long-haul services, not B757-200s. Will the B757 be a leased aircraft, or will it be operated with an A330-200 or A330-300?

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 02:21 PM   #2989
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

What's the deal with TK? I heard way than that they were looking to serve YYZ on daily basis.
Old March 27th, 2013, 03:29 PM   #2990
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Hold on: I know that Aer Lingus operates A330s for their long-haul services, not B757-200s. Will the B757 be a leased aircraft, or will it be operated with an A330-200 or A330-300?
They're leasing a few ex-Finnair 757s.
Old March 27th, 2013, 04:02 PM   #2991
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
What's the deal with TK? I heard way than that they were looking to serve YYZ on daily basis.
The current bilateral doesn't allow for it I don't think. I think they're at 5 weekly now though.

Great news about Aer Lingus. The next couple of years will be awesome for YYZ!
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #2992
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
The current bilateral doesn't allow for it I don't think. I think they're at 5 weekly now though.

Great news about Aer Lingus. The next couple of years will be awesome for YYZ!
Do you have any updates on Saudia? The last mention of it (back in February) said it's confirmed for late 2013/early 2014, but nothing concrete yet.
Old March 28th, 2013, 12:21 AM   #2993
Jamie2k9

Quote:
They're leasing a few ex-Finnair 757s.
Yes 3 B757-200 being leased, will be operated by Air Contractors and Aer Lingus Cabin Crew. 2 will be based in Shannon and replace the current A332 there. 1 B757 will be based in DUB and operate YYZ and the A332 from SNN will move to DUB and fly West Coast in the US. All will be announced in a matter of weeks,
Old March 28th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #2994
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
Do you have any updates on Saudia? The last mention of it (back in February) said it's confirmed for late 2013/early 2014, but nothing concrete yet.
I haven't heard anything new, but you're right that the last thing mentioned was Q3 2013. That likely means either Q4 or Q1 2014.

Sri Lankan was another airline eying YYZ and my understanding is that they are close to beginning a route either late this year or early 2014. And even though it's still a couple of years out, Kenya Airways will be making YYZ its first NA destination in 2015.

Filip liked this post
Old April 1st, 2013, 01:38 AM   #2995
ACT7

Keep'em coming...Royal Jordanian will likely be adding Toronto in 2014/15.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/royal...ss-495911.html

Quote:
...The carrier plans to expand as it overhauls its fleet with Boeing’s 787 Dreamliner and leverage’s transit traffic at Amman’s new airport to African and Asian destinations. Direct purchases and leases combined, Royal Jordanian has committed to 11 787-8s, which it will start receiving in 2014.

The Middle East carrier was the first airline in the Middle East to order the 787 Dreamliner, placing its first orders for four 787s in 2007 and also has arranged to lease two airplanes each from CIT Aerospace and International Lease Finance Co.

It will place the 787 on North American routes initially, including New York, Chicago, Detroit and Toronto.

Filip liked this post
Old April 1st, 2013, 03:28 AM   #2996
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

It's the 90s all over again!

It has been a while since Toronto saw such diversity in its airport.

Now all that needs to happen to make me happy is LX.
Old April 1st, 2013, 04:56 AM   #2997
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Yes 3 B757-200 being leased, will be operated by Air Contractors and Aer Lingus Cabin Crew. 2 will be based in Shannon and replace the current A332 there. 1 B757 will be based in DUB and operate YYZ and the A332 from SNN will move to DUB and fly West Coast in the US. All will be announced in a matter of weeks,
Hmmm if that's the case, is that a sign that EI will resume service to SFO from DUB? I recall Aer Lingus operating to SFO before with an A332... But that's great news to hear that YYZ will get direct flights to DUB with leased B757 aircraft. the next question is, will it become a regular scheduled service as soon as passenger loads are feasible?

Old April 1st, 2013, 04:59 AM   #2998
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
It's the 90s all over again!

It has been a while since Toronto saw such diversity in its airport.

Now all that needs to happen to make me happy is LX.
LX lately purchased through its partner, LH, six B77Ws, in which it will be used for long-haul flights. And I suspect that, if LX has a lot of long-haul aircraft available in its fleet, then the chances of operating ZRH-YYZ (to compete against AC) would be bigger, given that all of LX's wide-bodied fleet have 3 classes of service on board (F, C, and Y)

Old April 1st, 2013, 05:24 AM   #2999
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
The airplane landed on 06L... I was lazy to go all the way down.
Old April 1st, 2013, 05:37 AM   #3000
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Friday March 29th 2013.

YYZ
image hosted on flickr

A380 landing at YYZ, attracting quite the crowd as usual by mpmark, on Flickr

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto