daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 1st, 2013, 06:05 AM   #3001
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
It's the 90s all over again!

It has been a while since Toronto saw such diversity in its airport.

Now all that needs to happen to make me happy is LX.

I am guessing the only reason why we don't have LX here is because LH+OS+AC can handle the demand. So if OS cuts down on longhaul, than we may see LX here. Having in mind that LH placed an order for LX's longhaul fleet, that makes me think that OS may downsize in the future and LX expand in their longhaul mission.
YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2013, 08:19 AM   #3002
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11255

Question, though: how are the loads on OS on the YYZ-VIE flight? I recall that it is operated not on a daily basis, on a B767-300ER, if not a B777-200ER...

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2013, 10:29 PM   #3003
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Question, though: how are the loads on OS on the YYZ-VIE flight? I recall that it is operated not on a daily basis, on a B767-300ER, if not a B777-200ER...
I don't think that they can fill up a B777 on VIE-YYZ segment. From what I hear, I think the loads are decent in coach and the fares are on a higher scale. We need to know the yields in the front cabin in order to see if they are making money. The front cabin is the vital factor. Their 767-300ER birds are getting very old, some as old as two decades, so I am eager to see their yields. Than again, I have been told that they have recently refurbished all their long haul fleet. The travel agency where I bought my tickets told me that TK is snatching their connecting passengers. I guess the time will tell, but the fact is Austrian is on a shaky ground because they don't want to invest in a new longhaul equipment.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 02:12 AM   #3004
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2346

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/na...509/story.html

United Arab Emirates to drop costly visa requirements on Canadians.

This is a big step forward, and who knows we just might see EK daily flights to YYZ soon.
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 04:30 AM   #3005
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Great news indeed. Hopefully, EK will complete the daily rotation with either a daily B77W or B77L service, if not a combination of 3x weekly A380 and 4x weekly B77W.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old April 3rd, 2013, 04:33 AM   #3006
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
I don't think that they can fill up a B777 on VIE-YYZ segment. From what I hear, I think the loads are decent in coach and the fares are on a higher scale. We need to know the yields in the front cabin in order to see if they are making money. The front cabin is the vital factor. Their 767-300ER birds are getting very old, some as old as two decades, so I am eager to see their yields. Than again, I have been told that they have recently refurbished all their long haul fleet. The travel agency where I bought my tickets told me that TK is snatching their connecting passengers. I guess the time will tell, but the fact is Austrian is on a shaky ground because they don't want to invest in a new longhaul equipment.
I want to learn the basics of passenger loads, route viability, and route yields. Can you help me out on that bit for me, please? I have a hard time understanding why some routes are low-yielding (like, say, YYZ-MNL) while others are high-yielding (for example, YYZ-LHR). What will it take for a low-yielding route to become high-yielding over time, and what factors will be considered to allow an airline to operate such destinations like YYZ-LHR on a high-frequency basis?

Old April 3rd, 2013, 05:09 AM   #3007
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

I think you would need a university degree in yield management to fully understand the profitability of any airline route....I certainly don't pretend to know all the details...

But someone in the know once told me that the amount of profit on a single business class passenger was equal to the amount of profit on 100 economy class passengers...in other words, 3 business class passengers could effectively provide the same amount of profit to the airline as the entire coach cabin combined...

So, if what he said was right, let's say that after expenses maybe the profit on discounted coach tickets is only $30.00 per ticket....but the profit on a single business class ticket would be $3000.00...this was just a generic example that was told to me..

I think it is the front cabin that determines a route's profitability, completely..

Last edited by yyzer; April 3rd, 2013 at 05:14 AM.
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 05:12 AM   #3008
Kuba116

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Is this your photo, YU-AMC? I literally stood right beside you if so, filming.
Kuba116 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 05:17 AM   #3009
Kuba116

Likes (Received): 24

Spotting using my phone since my camera broke upon arriving at 23. Filmed mostly rather than took photos:

Summary of that day in video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYlsE...P1x9mA&index=1
Kuba116 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 10:37 AM   #3010
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

Quote:
I want to learn the basics of passenger loads, route viability, and route yields. Can you help me out on that bit for me, please? I have a hard time understanding why some routes are low-yielding (like, say, YYZ-MNL) while others are high-yielding (for example, YYZ-LHR). What will it take for a low-yielding route to become high-yielding over time, and what factors will be considered to allow an airline to operate such destinations like YYZ-LHR on a high-frequency basis?
To keep it simple, premium class passengers are considered high-yielding, as they pay for higher fares for better service, product, and flexibility. Economy class passengers are generally low-yielding but there are some paying higher fares for flexibility within Economy (eg. full-fare passengers).

You can't turn a route from low to high-yielding unless there is a major business traveller market. These types of travellers typically pay higher fares to fly Business or First Class or more expensive tickets that allow last-minute changes.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #3011
Tandagchan
Tandagchan

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba116 View Post
Spotting using my phone since my camera broke upon arriving at 23. Filmed mostly rather than took photos:

Summary of that day in video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYlsE...P1x9mA&index=1
Once the laguindingan International Airport, Philippines will be operational something like this that there are so many commercial planes passing by over the rainbow.
Tandagchan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2013, 01:35 AM   #3012
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba116 View Post
Is this your photo, YU-AMC? I literally stood right beside you if so, filming.
No. That photo way taken by a gentleman Mark. I really wanted to come out that day, but I got busy with something else.
Old April 12th, 2013, 08:10 AM   #3013
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Looks like Porter airlines have placed an order for C series. So we may see some runway extension work being done at Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport (YTZ). This time they may upset the condo owners for real haha.
Old April 12th, 2013, 08:18 AM   #3014
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

image hosted on flickr

From what I have heard, they will ask the local authorities to extend on the both ends.
Old April 12th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #3015
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

From Porter's website regarding the changes to Billy Bishop:

What we're not asking for

Although we’re asking for some important changes, we’re dedicated to keeping our plans manageable, considered, and community-minded. So, just to clarify, here are a few things we are not requesting.

Alterations to the marine exclusion zone

Porter doesn’t want to see any changes to the airport's current marine boundary – all watercraft will continue to enjoy the same space in the lake and inner harbour as they do today.

Different flight paths

We have no intention of altering current take off and approach flight paths to and from the airport – these were routed over water and were designed for, and continue to provide, maximum efficiency and minimum disruption.

New noise restrictions

The noise restrictions already outlined under the NEF 25 (Noise Exposure Forecast) serve the city and its residents well, and we’ll continue to adhere to them.

I'm somewhat confused as to whether or not extending the runway into the lake would fall into the "alterations to the marine exclusion zone". Boats aren't allowed into that part of the harbour (it's marked off with buoys on either end of the runway), so would it be a loss if it were filled in?

Ford is for the airport expansion, and knowing how polarizing his views are I expect there to be a lot of arguing over at City Hall.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 10:36 AM   #3016
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

^Thanks.

Btw I was driving around 11pm on Sunday night, and PAL B777 was about to take off on 06L. It was a pleasure to see the B777 take off. The airplane followed the 401 highway and, it made a sharp turn right around 404/401 intercharge heading North.
Old April 16th, 2013, 10:38 AM   #3017
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
^Thanks.

Btw I was driving around 11pm on Sunday night, and PAL B777 was about to take off on 06L. It was a pleasure to see the B777 take off. The airplane followed the 401 highway and, it made a sharp turn right around 404/401 intercharge heading North.
Interesting. And a northern headway is very interesting because supposedly, it will head west to Vancouver first en route to Manila. It would be an interesting thing, though, to see the stats for that flight because it seems like there aren't a lot of passengers doing MNL-YYZ all the way.

Old April 16th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #3018
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Interesting. And a northern headway is very interesting because supposedly, it will head west to Vancouver first en route to Manila. It would be an interesting thing, though, to see the stats for that flight because it seems like there aren't a lot of passengers doing MNL-YYZ all the way.
Well, I could see from my car that she took off very early. That's not a good sign... Here is a decent video someone filmed CX taking off from YYZ. Looked like it used up three quarters of runway before it blasted off. I am sure it looked much better in the real life.

Old April 16th, 2013, 11:01 AM   #3019
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Well, I could see from my car that she took off very early. That's not a good sign... Here is a decent video someone filmed CX taking off from YYZ. Looked like it used up three quarters of runway before it blasted off. I am sure it looked much better in the real life.

What do you mean that takeoff by PR wasn't a good sign, especially for a B77W? I watched the CX video you have, and I saw little difference (except that it took a longer take-off roll).

Old April 17th, 2013, 02:05 AM   #3020
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
What do you mean that takeoff by PR wasn't a good sign, especially for a B77W? I watched the CX video you have, and I saw little difference (except that it took a longer take-off roll).

I meant that early take off usually means light load, but we never know.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto