daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 2nd, 2013, 06:26 AM   #3101
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11255

Sure, it may scream Air Berlin for a bit, but I think the tail livery should be the livery for Air Canada mainline, not just Air Canada Rouge. That livery of a half maple leaf looks great indeed that it is easily recognizable, but, then again, with a sky blue livery for the mainline... I think it looks great.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2013, 05:11 AM   #3102
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Aeroflot's inaugural flight to YYZ today. Caught the 767 from T1 departures at T3 sitting next to KLM MD-11. So nice to see it back here!
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2013, 05:37 AM   #3103
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Aeroflot's inaugural flight to YYZ today. Caught the 767 from T1 departures at T3 sitting next to KLM MD-11. So nice to see it back here!
Excellent! the reg of the aircraft was VP-BAZ.....also, Egyptair inaugural to YYZ is on its way right now for tomorrow morning's 0700 arrival....the reg on that one is SU-GDL...

Also, LOT are expected to operate their 787 for the first time to YYZ, this Friday, June 7th...

Finally, there were a couple of unusual visitors to YYZ this past week - Etihad brought in a 777 freighter with mechanical parts to fix one of their passenger 777s that had experienced technical problems on Thursday....and the President of Chile arrived on Friday for an official visit with his Chilean Air Force 767...

It's been an interesting week out at YYZ...
Old June 3rd, 2013, 07:27 AM   #3104
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
Excellent! the reg of the aircraft was VP-BAZ.....also, Egyptair inaugural to YYZ is on its way right now for tomorrow morning's 0700 arrival....the reg on that one is SU-GDL...

Also, LOT are expected to operate their 787 for the first time to YYZ, this Friday, June 7th...

Finally, there were a couple of unusual visitors to YYZ this past week - Etihad brought in a 777 freighter with mechanical parts to fix one of their passenger 777s that had experienced technical problems on Thursday....and the President of Chile arrived on Friday for an official visit with his Chilean Air Force 767...

It's been an interesting week out at YYZ...
I will look into those on my FlightAware app. By the way, what time does the SU flight from SVO arrive at and depart from YYZ?

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old June 3rd, 2013, 08:11 AM   #3105
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
I will look into those on my FlightAware app. By the way, what time does the SU flight from SVO arrive at and depart from YYZ?
In comes at 12:25pm and it departs a few hours afterwards.
YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2013, 08:16 AM   #3106
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Yeah I met a friend of mine on Monday and he told me that KLM started sending the MD11 on their morning flight. Let the good times begin!
Old June 3rd, 2013, 11:26 PM   #3107
ACT7

Gotta love the MS livery!
Old June 4th, 2013, 01:43 AM   #3108
Buffalomatt1027

Likes (Received): 373

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs...130609779/1002

US Senator pushing for Buffalo to LA route. The target flier is obviously Canadians .....

Do people who use the Toronto Pearson Airport even care about what Buffalo / lower prices does to your airport??

Do Canadians save that much money??

I'm just curious.
Buffalomatt1027 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2013, 02:02 AM   #3109
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10975

The Canadian government treat airports like their own private bank account rather than engines of economic growth. Our airports are taxed to death and flying is expensive. A significant number of Canadians drive to bordering US airports like Buffalo.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; June 4th, 2013 at 02:10 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2013, 05:01 AM   #3110
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
The Canadian government treat airports like their own private bank account rather than engines of economic growth. Our airports are taxed to death and flying is expensive. A significant number of Canadians drive to bordering US airports like Buffalo.
It's a tradeoff for people. The lower fares could be offset by fewer direct flights from border towns like Buffalo. Some will pay the premium so they don't have to change flights.

Travelling to and from the airport is another consideration. If it's within your means to get there conveniently and cost-effectively (if the trip to Buffalo winds up negating the savings of flying out then why bother?). Then there's the border. It's sometimes a crapshoot as to which lineup will be shorter, the one at the Pearson or the on at the Peace Bridge. Timing of the flight is key as is planning accordingly.

Overall, for flights within the US, Buffalo has a bit of an advantage. For foreign flights I'd stay with Pearson.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2013, 06:53 AM   #3111
isaidso
the new republic

It's certainly a hassle, costly, and time consuming traveling to a US airport, but it speaks volumes that millions of Canadians still do it. Cost efficient US airports are the only thing keeping our government from taxing our airports even more. We should be thankful to Buffalo for keeping our federal government in check.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old June 4th, 2013, 02:23 PM   #3112
Buffalomatt1027

Likes (Received): 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It's certainly a hassle, costly, and time consuming traveling to a US airport, but it speaks volumes that millions of Canadians still do it. Cost efficient US airports are the only thing keeping our government from taxing our airports even more. We should be thankful to Buffalo for keeping our federal government in check.
It cant be too much of a hassle ..... millions of Canadians still travel through BNIA. Pearson Airport will still be great no matter what Buffalo does. I was just curious what Canadians or other people thought. (Im from Buffalo, hence the name)
Buffalomatt1027 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2013, 06:30 PM   #3113
ACT7

Air Canada begins Istanbul service today. 3 days, 3 "new" routes. Love it!
Old June 4th, 2013, 10:05 PM   #3114
Kuba116

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
Yeah I did not make good effort to take some good pictures of Lot's 767. I find them boring and very tired birds that need to be retired ASAP. I am looking out for LO and ET B787s. Also I have to say that my jaw dropped when I saw Iceland air. Good branding and very sexy looking B757.

I am glad you like them.
Great photos, YU-AMC!!

I love the LOT 767s, I think the livery that the 767s carry is one of the best out there; the new one is nice but, doesn't have that "Polish" feel to it. The 767s are awful to fly on though.
Kuba116 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013, 07:54 AM   #3115
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalomatt1027 View Post
It cant be too much of a hassle ..... millions of Canadians still travel through BNIA.
Um... that's what I just said.

Old June 5th, 2013, 08:18 AM   #3116
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Hmm You have to be saving some decent chunk on change to be flying out of Buffalo. I am just very used to flying out of YYZ. Buffalo may snag some decent traffic from Canada, but on the flip side, Toronto Pearson gets some US traffic on the longer (asian/european) flights.
Old June 5th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #3117
ACT7

If anything, YTZ steals more passengers from YYZ than BUF. Still not great for YYZ to have pax cross the border to fly, but as has been mentioned, some of those savings are imagined. Think gas, hotel (potentially), extra meals, parking, and time crossing the border.
Old June 6th, 2013, 03:55 AM   #3118
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Some carriers operating to YYZ I've seen lately online...

Air Canada E170-200SU, "Air Canada Express" (reg. C-FEKS)

Source

British Airways B767-300ER (reg. G-BNWC) -- along with its larger sibling, the B747-400

Source

Jet Airways B737-800 (reg. VT-JFG) -- delivery flight

Source

Korean Air B777-200ER, "Skyteam Signature" (reg. HL7733)

Source

Thomson Airways B757-200 (reg. G-OOBE)

Source

Old June 7th, 2013, 02:01 AM   #3119
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

WestJet has just received it's first batch of Turboprop Q400s from Bombardier as part of its new regional airline, Encore. It's now looking at trying to get a few landing slots at YTZ.

They haven't ruled out merging/purchasing Porter to build the new airline which would also give it the slots at Billy Bishop.

WestJet eyes Toronto island airport Toronto Star

WestJet expresses interest in flying out of Toronto's island airport CTV Toronto

WestJet wants slots at Toronto island airport, CEO says CBC Toronto
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2013, 04:49 AM   #3120
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 170

Anyone going to the airport tomorrow to welcome LOT's Dreamliner? Would be nice to to meet someone in person for a coffee and some spotting :-)
J@nek no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto