daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 19th, 2013, 10:41 PM   #3201
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR66 View Post
Maybe they can connect somewhere Europe. LHR/FRA/CDG are possible connecting cities from ORD or JFK.
So you mean the route would be MNL-YVR-JFK/EWR/ORD-LHR/FRA/CDG?
Seems like a hell of a long and impractical route just to get to Europe from Manila.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2013, 10:47 PM   #3202
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

TK 017 (IST-YYZ)

YYZ bound. I also have some pictures of Air Canada in IST. Someone asked me earlier to keep an eye for AC B763 @ IST.

YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2013, 11:25 PM   #3203
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
So you mean the route would be MNL-YVR-JFK/EWR/ORD-LHR/FRA/CDG?
Seems like a hell of a long and impractical route just to get to Europe from Manila.
Haha.. Looks like those old legacy routes way before I was born!
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 02:30 AM   #3204
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

I'm sure the OP meant MNL-Europe-JFK/ORD, which may make sense given that PR will be soon flying to Europe. That being said, PRs strategy of trying out different tactics don't really seem to be working, and at the end of the day, the international market is definitely much more competitive than it once was a couple years ago. Couple with PRs lack of international routes (and thus brand awareness) and how it doesn't cooperate in extensive alliances with any airlines, focusing on Europe and/or North America might not be the right way to go.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2013, 12:54 AM   #3205
ACT7

Word is PR is now no longer dropping YYZ. In fact, it will maintain the status quo with daily to YVR, with 3/wk continuation on to YYZ.

http://airlineroute.net/2013/07/20/pr-yyz-sep13update2/
Old July 21st, 2013, 01:24 AM   #3206
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
I'm sure the OP meant MNL-Europe-JFK/ORD, which may make sense given that PR will be soon flying to Europe. That being said, PRs strategy of trying out different tactics don't really seem to be working, and at the end of the day, the international market is definitely much more competitive than it once was a couple years ago. Couple with PRs lack of international routes (and thus brand awareness) and how it doesn't cooperate in extensive alliances with any airlines, focusing on Europe and/or North America might not be the right way to go.
That's understandable. Oneworld has been luring Philippine Airlines to join the alliance, but I suspect that it might join once Category 1 is restored in the Philippines. It's been nearly five years since the FAA downgraded the country's standing, and the agency has been sending representatives to the country to check up on its progress since it seems to be improving... yet I believe it could have been done years back.

Back to Philippine Airlines keeping the Toronto service, it it's indeed great news, especially that it is a closest resemblance to a Manila-US East Coast flight. Yet I believe that it should be made daily over time to cater to Filipinos living in the eastern half of Canada while keeping opportunities open for potential Canadian based businesses to invest in the Philippines.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2013, 05:18 AM   #3207
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Quote:
Word is PR is now no longer dropping YYZ. In fact, it will maintain the status quo with daily to YVR, with 3/wk continuation on to YYZ.

http://airlineroute.net/2013/07/20/pr-yyz-sep13update2/
That's great news! I wonder why the change of heart? Sounds like loads were improving or the GTAA extended the new carrier discounts to allow for the market to mature further... Either way great news.
Old July 21st, 2013, 11:53 PM   #3208
Kuba116

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
YYZ bound. I also have some pictures of Air Canada in IST. Someone asked me earlier to keep an eye for AC B763 @ IST.

Excellent shot, YU-AMC!
Kuba116 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2013, 06:48 AM   #3209
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba116 View Post
Excellent shot, YU-AMC!
Thanks brother! Anyways how is LOT doing in terms of the yields? Now that they have the new bird so I suppose the good times are here. I saw the B787 at the terminal one when I flew to my old country, but it was dark and the 787 was jammed around the jetways. The picture would not do the justice.... I am going to try to take the photo in day light or the evening upon the arrival. Btw I also saw PAL B777 on the runway R23.
Old July 24th, 2013, 07:21 PM   #3210
ACT7

According to CAPA, AC is upguaging YYZ-ZRH and maintaining the route longer than planned. I didn't even know they had a planned end date when it was launched.

http://centreforaviation.com/profile...al-airport-yyz
Old July 24th, 2013, 10:35 PM   #3211
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Any idea on how is Austrian doing in YYZ? This summer I flew to SJJ, and on the way back, 50% of the pax were backtracking to Usa and Canada via Istanbul. On the same day, OS sent a very small F70 to SJJ. I guess it's an end of one more monopoly where Austrian used to charge $2000+ round trip. Nothing lasts forever.
Old July 24th, 2013, 10:41 PM   #3212
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Quote:
According to CAPA, AC is upguaging YYZ-ZRH and maintaining the route longer than planned. I didn't even know they had a planned end date when it was launched.

They planned to end it? Who would run the route then? LX?
Old July 25th, 2013, 12:12 AM   #3213
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
They planned to end it? Who would run the route then? LX?
That's great. It looks like the YYZ–ZRH is a pretty popular route to have its aircraft type upgraded from a B763 or A333 to a B77W. If AC axed this route, LX could take over the route, but I wonder if it will use either an A333 or A343, and if most of the premium seats will be filled (for both F and J classes).

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 12:29 AM   #3214
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Didn't LX serve YYZ like five years ago?
Old July 26th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #3215
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Quote:
Didn't LX serve YYZ like five years ago?
LX has never served YYZ. SR used to for decades (I used to fly the route in the 90s) but I believe it was cut in the late 90s.
Old July 28th, 2013, 09:58 PM   #3216
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Yeah they started with the DC10s and moved up to the MD11s.

Old August 3rd, 2013, 06:02 AM   #3217
Kuba116

Quote:
Thanks brother! Anyways how is LOT doing in terms of the yields? Now that they have the new bird so I suppose the good times are here. I saw the B787 at the terminal one when I flew to my old country, but it was dark and the 787 was jammed around the jetways. The picture would not do the justice.... I am going to try to take the photo in day light or the evening upon the arrival. Btw I also saw PAL B777 on the runway R23.
From the few people that I heard that have flown I heard yields are good, 90-95% for the flights that I knew somebody on. When taking off it also looks pretty heavy, plus the two daily on Friday seems to do well as well. Somebody also asked about Austrian, they are doing well and also have a lot of connecting traffic, I know a few Poles that flew on it this summer. Loads for the most part are good.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 06:11 AM   #3218
Kuba116

Finally got around to some spotting this week; haven't been to 23 in ages. Weather was awful especially in the LOT shots when the thunderstorm came in. Here are the results:

Old August 3rd, 2013, 06:44 AM   #3219
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Good job! The thing about R23 is that you can admire some nice landings and keep an eye on take offs as well. I just don't know how you manage to get your lens through the fence?
Old August 3rd, 2013, 06:48 AM   #3220
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba116 View Post
From the few people that I heard that have flown I heard yields are good, 90-95% for the flights that I knew somebody on. When taking off it also looks pretty heavy, plus the two daily on Friday seems to do well as well. Somebody also asked about Austrian, they are doing well and also have a lot of connecting traffic, I know a few Poles that flew on it this summer. Loads for the most part are good.
Glad to hear. Yeah I am sure many Poles are going via FRA/VIE, especially the ones that have to stop over in Warsaw. They have to get on a connecting flight anyhow.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto