daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 14th, 2013, 01:45 PM   #3321
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by UADLAAUSair View Post
Another change for Summer 2013, this time for Lufthansa:

Frankfurt – Toronto Boeing 747-400 replaces A340-600, daily service
LH470 FRA1345 – 1620YYZ 744 D
LH471 YYZ1825 – 0810+1FRA 744 D

http://airlineroute.net/2013/10/11/lh-s14update1/
That change could lead to a future change to the 748.
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2013, 06:03 AM   #3322
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by noir-dresses View Post
That change could lead to a future change to the 748.
By that time, TK, EK should be daily, so it's a 50/50 chance. On the opposite side, LH probably does well with cargo based on the trade between Germany and Canada. The future will tell, but I am sure TK will suck out some decent traffic from the Balkans that LH/OS used to get.
YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 04:17 PM   #3323
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Was flying out of T3 on Friday late afternoon and there were two BA 787's parked beside each other. Is that supposed to be the case? Not complaining at all, but I can't recall if the schedule was double daily 787's or a combination of 787's, 767's, 777's, and 747's?
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 05:42 PM   #3324
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
By that time, TK, EK should be daily, so it's a 50/50 chance. On the opposite side, LH probably does well with cargo based on the trade between Germany and Canada. The future will tell, but I am sure TK will suck out some decent traffic from the Balkans that LH/OS used to get.
That depends - we sent my grandma over on TK to Belgrade, however, I would never do it. I just can't imagine flying OVER my destination for another 2h, only to fly back.

Prague was a great connection point...
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 05:36 AM   #3325
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
That depends - we sent my grandma over on TK to Belgrade, however, I would never do it. I just can't imagine flying OVER my destination for another 2h, only to fly back.

Prague was a great connection point...
That's how it looks on the map, but it's about the same as flying via MUC/FRA/FCO/ASM. The flight is just over an hour and not two hours. Also the westbound flights from the EU take longer as well. After all, you need an hour or two to catch the connection to YYZ. Once you try their comfort class, you will realize I mean.
Old October 17th, 2013, 04:31 PM   #3326
ACT7

A few more changes for next summer.

http://airlineroute.net/2013/10/17/ba-yyz-s14update3/

Quote:
British Airways S14 Toronto Operation Changes as of 17OCT13
by JL

Update at 0540GMT 17OCT13

British Airways has further revised planned London Heathrow – Toronto operation, which sees the oneWorld member reduces operation from 17 to 16 weekly. BA097/098 will operate 2 weekly flights instead of 3 in Summer 2014 season from 30MAR14, however operational aircraft will change from 777-200ER to 747-400.

BA093 LHR1215 – 1455YYZ 744 D
BA097 LHR1435 – 1715YYZ 744 15
BA099 LHR1620 – 1855YYZ 788 D

BA092 YYZ1845 – 0630+1LHR 744 D
BA098 YYZ2055 – 0850+1LHR 788 x1
BA098 YYZ2120 – 0915+1LHR 788 1
BA096 YYZ2310 – 1100+1LHR 744 15
http://airlineroute.net/2013/10/17/ay-s14update1/

Quote:
Helsinki – Toronto Summer seasonal service in 2014 operates from 01JUN14 to 21SEP14, with 3 weekly Airbus A330-300 aircraft
AY031 HEL1700 – 1845YYZ 333 257
AY032 YYZ2235 – 1345+1HEL 333 257

In Summer 2013, this route was served 5 times a week with Boeing 757
Old October 18th, 2013, 01:57 AM   #3327
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

^ Are we getting BA 747 double daily and a 787 as well? If so, sweet!
Old October 18th, 2013, 03:55 PM   #3328
ACT7

Not a route announcement, but still a great formal initiative between YYZ and Air Canada.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1244...ild-global-hub

Quote:
October 18, 2013 7:00 AM

Greater Toronto Airports Authority and Air Canada announce a new Commercial Agreement to build global hub

..."This agreement provides momentum to our strategy to develop Toronto Pearson into an even stronger North American gateway and a truly global airline hub. It will transform our relationship with the GTAA, enabling us to better work together to enhance the Toronto Pearson experience and position Air Canada to capture a larger share of growing international traffic flows on a more cost effective basis," said Ben Smith, Executive Vice President and Chief Commercial Officer of Air Canada. "Toronto has the potential to become a preferred global routing because it offers some of the best elapsed travel times between the U.S. and major centres in Europe and Asia. At Toronto Pearson, Air Canada customers benefit from dedicated transborder and international Maple Leaf Lounges featuring concierge service and a newly streamlined transit process to expedite connections; all reasons why Air Canada and Toronto Pearson are the best options for travel to and from North America."

fieldsofdreams liked this post
Old October 18th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #3329
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Amazing News! Can't wait to see a Finnair widebody!

Quote:
Not a route announcement, but still a great formal initiative between YYZ and Air Canada.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1244...ild-global-hub
Great news - YYZ is really cleaning up lately.
Old October 18th, 2013, 07:55 PM   #3330
ACT7

Quote:
Amazing News! Can't wait to see a Finnair widebody!

Great news - YYZ is really cleaning up lately.
Yup, their new management team sees the potential and is actively doing something about it. Howard Eng, coming from HKG, has a good vision and if he can do even a fraction for YYZ what he did for HKG, then we're well on our way to being at least the second largest port of entry into NA.

Doesn't hurt either that Rovinescu sees the value in developing one global hub versus four splintered mini-hubs.
Old October 18th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #3331
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Quote:
Yup, their new management team sees the potential and is actively doing something about it. Howard Eng, coming from HKG, has a good vision and if he can do even a fraction for YYZ what he did for HKG, then we're well on our way to being at least the second largest port of entry into NA.

Doesn't hurt either that Rovinescu sees the value in developing one global hub versus four splintered mini-hubs.
Indeed - all the wins (big or small) are due to Eng. He is a breath of fresh air and comes from managing a true global mega hub.

- Retail offerings (restaurants, luxury, etc)
- Attracting new airlines and routes
- Sorting out the hub situation with Air Canada

Wish list:

- Free baggage carts
- Observation platform for aircrafts (doesn't even have to be a physical construction, but a park on a small mound in the land surrounding the airport. I know YYZ has numerous plots of land that could do the trick. YUL did something incredible, I think it's called Jacques Lesseps park and has a great view of the runways and apron. They have bleacher style seating so you can spectate the movements, a diagram showing the types of planes flying to YUL and a layout of the runways, aprons and airport facilities so you know what you're looking at. Great idea!
- Becoming a hub between South America and Asia. YYZ is moving in that direction, but it needs to be far more aggressive.

Now of course, you'll have YULers complaining that AC is neglecting them, but they're rapidly becoming the fourth port of entry for CANADA, not worth any investment or attention IMO.
Old October 19th, 2013, 05:49 AM   #3332
ACT7

Quote:
Indeed - all the wins (big or small) are due to Eng. He is a breath of fresh air and comes from managing a true global mega hub.

- Retail offerings (restaurants, luxury, etc)
- Attracting new airlines and routes
- Sorting out the hub situation with Air Canada

Wish list:

- Free baggage carts
- Observation platform for aircrafts (doesn't even have to be a physical construction, but a park on a small mound in the land surrounding the airport. I know YYZ has numerous plots of land that could do the trick. YUL did something incredible, I think it's called Jacques Lesseps park and has a great view of the runways and apron. They have bleacher style seating so you can spectate the movements, a diagram showing the types of planes flying to YUL and a layout of the runways, aprons and airport facilities so you know what you're looking at. Great idea!
- Becoming a hub between South America and Asia. YYZ is moving in that direction, but it needs to be far more aggressive.

Now of course, you'll have YULers complaining that AC is neglecting them, but they're rapidly becoming the fourth port of entry for CANADA, not worth any investment or attention IMO.
Totally agree regarding YUL. It doesn't make any sense. It's economics that dictate the presence and development of a hub and YYZ is frankly the only airport in Canada that makes sense to build into a true global hub. YUL will always be a well connected airport for sure, but it's barely as busy as Geneva, which is a fraction of the size as a city.
Old October 19th, 2013, 09:16 PM   #3333
ACT7

I'll believe it when I see it, but AI looks ready to relaunch YYZ...

http://www.firstpost.com/business/ai...2-1174861.html

Interesting article. Seems like loads were great but yields were really low. Kind of reinforces the fact that flying to India is a money loser for most airlines. Will be interesting to see if AC can make a go of it again with the 787's. I imagine AI will also switch to 787's at some point as well, while building back some goodwill by starting up again with triple 7's.
Old October 19th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #3334
ACT7

AC has applied for YYZ-HND for summer 2014. Not sure if that replaces NRT from YYZ or is in addition to. Either way, interesting development since the assumption all along was that it would be YVR-HND.

http://centreforaviation.com/profile...al-airport-yyz
Old October 19th, 2013, 10:16 PM   #3335
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Old October 19th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #3336
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

By Nino Buda,

Old October 19th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #3337
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Totally agree regarding YUL. It doesn't make any sense. It's economics that dictate the presence and development of a hub and YYZ is frankly the only airport in Canada that makes sense to build into a true global hub. YUL will always be a well connected airport for sure, but it's barely as busy as Geneva, which is a fraction of the size as a city.
Spot on. I flew YUL-NCE not long ago, but I came out to grab a picture or two before my flight. I would also want to question the yields at YUL. For some reason, European airlines were sending their older equipment to YUL. Also, AF is not sending that A380 as not long ago. That's the sign right there. Anyways have a lookie,

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=428
Old October 20th, 2013, 03:03 AM   #3338
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
AC has applied for YYZ-HND for summer 2014. Not sure if that replaces NRT from YYZ or is in addition to. Either way, interesting development since the assumption all along was that it would be YVR-HND.

http://centreforaviation.com/profile...al-airport-yyz
I'm probably bias and think YVR is a better airport, but I totally understand why YYZ was chosen given the amount of transborder flights. Coincidentally, AA just announced it will suspend its JFK-HND flight... ACs YYZ-HND might be able to capture some of the cities on the East Coast.

Does anyone know the performance of the AY flights? While AY has been really focusing on its Europe-Asia traffic making full use of its direct HEL hub geography, I think they have essentially maxed out on the major Asian destinations and I think if they expand into the East Coast of North America, they can really target new North America-Asia traffic, which HEL would also be convenient for. For instance, YYZ-HEL-DEL is the shortest one-stop distance to India (compared to EK/DXB, BA/LHR, LH/FRA among many other competitors).
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2013, 07:19 AM   #3339
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
I'm probably bias and think YVR is a better airport, but I totally understand why YYZ was chosen given the amount of transborder flights. Coincidentally, AA just announced it will suspend its JFK-HND flight... ACs YYZ-HND might be able to capture some of the cities on the East Coast.

Does anyone know the performance of the AY flights? While AY has been really focusing on its Europe-Asia traffic making full use of its direct HEL hub geography, I think they have essentially maxed out on the major Asian destinations and I think if they expand into the East Coast of North America, they can really target new North America-Asia traffic, which HEL would also be convenient for. For instance, YYZ-HEL-DEL is the shortest one-stop distance to India (compared to EK/DXB, BA/LHR, LH/FRA among many other competitors).
Do you mean better airport in general or better positioned airport for HND?

As for AY, I think their summer flights to YYZ are really only trying to capture O&D traffic for the most part. They've been doing it for years so I assume it's been doing well. I'm not sure if they've ever tried year-round flights but I can also assume that if Icelandair can go year-round, so to can AY - with far better onward connection opportunities as you mentioned.
Old October 20th, 2013, 09:19 AM   #3340
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Do you mean better airport in general or better positioned airport for HND?
To clarify, I mean I prefer YVR-HND over YYZ-HND (but I clearly have a very big bias) but that YYZ would be the better airport choice to begin with given the amount of transborder flights that YYZ already has. Specifically for instance, YVR doesn't have many flights to East Coast American Cities.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto