daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 9th, 2013, 04:41 AM   #3361
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
What an awful airline... We booked my grandma to do YYZ-IST-BEG months ago and yesterday she returned BEG-IST-YYZ. The way there, the flight was delayed so badly that we opted to rebook (for free) 3 days later, this time coming back, her flight was delayed 4h. That's difficult if you're my age, let alone 83.

Apparently all due to how busy IST is. Well, get a better hub or stop calling yourself a luxury airline!
Whoa... that's interesting. Maybe it's because IST is heavily congested that delays are commonplace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
They bill themselves as a luxury airline?
Oh yes. It even has a lot of corporate sponsorships with soccer teams in Europe, and they have so many lie-flat seats on their long-haul aircraft, especially their A330s, A340s, and B777-300ERs. Not to mention that they advertise Istanbul as a great hub in comparison to Dubai for flights to Eastern Europe, the Maghreb (northern Africa), and the Middle East (including Israel, which most Middle Eastern carriers do not provide flights).

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2013, 05:44 PM   #3362
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Bangladesh Airlines to YYZ soon...

"Biman plans biweekly flights to New York by April
Eyes also set on Los Angeles, Canada routes
Nov 8,2013 Jasim Khan

The national flag carrier is likely to fly to New York from Dhaka via Birmingham twice a week by April next while the authorities are also planning to launch services on the Dhaka-Hong Kong-Los Angeles and Dhaka-Canada routes.

"A U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (US FAA) inspection team is due in Bangladesh in early 2014 to audit the possible Category 1 operations," Mr Kevin John Steele, Managing Director and CEO of the Biman Bangladesh Airlines Ltd said in a letter to the chairman of the Civil Aviation Authority of Bangladesh (CAAB) last week.

If the outcome of the inspection is positive, the Biman would resume its Dhaka-New York flight, Mr Kevin said.

"When we receive our next 2 new B777-300ER aircraft, we are looking to dry-lease one of those aircraft to a UK-based company which will help as an alternative to fly Biman aircraft to the USA, if the USFAA does not graduate Biman for Category 1," Mr Kevin clarified in his plan on the US and Canada operations.

According to him, the US requirements for any airline flying to that country are that either the airline must be registered in a country where the CAA has a Category 1 rating or wet-lease an aircraft from a company that is registered in a Category-1 country.

As part of the Biman's America plan, it now intends to fly on the Dhaka-Birmingham (BHX)-John F Kennedy (JFK) airport route instead of the earlier planned Dhaka-Manchester-JFK route.

"The option is better, because a greater number of Bangladeshis are living in Birmingham than in Manchester and the Birmingham offer is more commercially viable than the Manchester Airport's offer," Mr Kevin wrote.

However, Mr Kevin said as the Biman was expecting 4 B777-300ERs plus possibly the two (dry-lease) B777-200ERs, the Biman was also weighing the option of the Dhaka-Hong Kong-Los Angeles operation to take advantage of the open US skies.

Earlier, on Aug 17 last Bangladesh had signed an open sky agreement with the United States to resume its flights to New York.

The national flag career would also revive its maiden flight to Canada within te next year.

A Bangladesh delegation visited Canada in the last week of September for finalising an agreement with that country to this end.

"Once the deal is concluded, we will be able to start flights to Canada. Three passenger aircraft and three cargo aircraft will operate," said a high official of the Biman.

CAAB Flight Safety and Regulations Department Director SM Nazmul Anam said a technical team would arrive from the US to look into a number of issues, including the security arrangement at the Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport in Dhaka.

"We have to wait for the new Canada Air Service Agreement (ASA) before we decide on when we can operate our flights to Toronto. We, however, are disappointed that the Canadian authorities have not provided us with intermediate fifth freedom for flights to and from Europe, especially because the US, UK and European authorities have already granted it to us," he added."

Source: http://www.thefinancialexpress-bd.co...013/11/08/2855
Old November 9th, 2013, 07:47 PM   #3363
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Fascinating!
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2013, 10:14 PM   #3364
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

If Biman is to operate to Canada, one thing we need to be cautious of: many times, its flights depart way later than their published departure times, perhaps because of aircraft issues or passengers not being punctual on their flights. It has been put on notice on its flights to London Heathrow many times before, by the way...

Old November 9th, 2013, 11:05 PM   #3365
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Whoa... that's interesting. Maybe it's because IST is heavily congested that delays are commonplace.

Oh yes. It even has a lot of corporate sponsorships with soccer teams in Europe, and they have so many lie-flat seats on their long-haul aircraft, especially their A330s, A340s, and B777-300ERs. Not to mention that they advertise Istanbul as a great hub in comparison to Dubai for flights to Eastern Europe, the Maghreb (northern Africa), and the Middle East (including Israel, which most Middle Eastern carriers do not provide flights).
I know people who have travelled with TK in the past and have no significant complaints. The rather lengthy layover was ameliorated by the fact that they could spend a day visiting Istanbul (via a rather circuitous subway!)

That being said, the Turkish government is spending a lot of money to upgrade the second airport, Sabiha Gφkηen (SAW) on the Asian side of the Bosporus and constructing a third airport on the European side to deal with the influx of traffic. They seem to be serious about positioning themselves as an international hub. The protests from earlier this stem partially from the astonishing speed and apparent lack of consideration for the environment or history of the city.

SAW handles low-cost and short-distance international flights (Middle East, North Africa, Southern and Eastern Europe) with IST handling the rest, but obviously it isn't enough if they are facing those kinds of delays or it necessitates the long layovers for connecting flights.

fieldsofdreams liked this post
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2013, 04:57 AM   #3366
rinathq
Eternal Dream

Likes (Received): 42

[QUOTE=yyzhyd;108686679]"Biman plans biweekly flights to New York by April
Eyes also set on Los Angeles, Canada routes

If properly planned and on time performance is maintained, YYZ-DAC could work out. BG can offer some convenient transfers to KUL, SIN, BKK and get a fair share of pax for the subcontinent market. But if its one of those routes by BG where they plan to operate once or twice weekly just for the political commitments and not put a whole lot of effort to maintain on time performance than this route will be nothing short of a disaster.
rinathq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2013, 05:11 AM   #3367
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10966

Quote:
Oh yes. It even has a lot of corporate sponsorships with soccer teams in Europe, and they have so many lie-flat seats on their long-haul aircraft, especially their A330s, A340s, and B777-300ERs.
I can understand offering great service/amenities, but aren't delays/cancellations largely out of an airlines hands? You could run an airline flawlessly, but you're still dependent on weather and/or the airport one is flying into.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2013, 05:38 AM   #3368
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
They tout themselves as a fifth freedom carrier just like the gulf airlines, but do they really market themselves as luxurious? I'm not sure, at least definitely not compared to the likes of EK, QR, and EY.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2013, 07:06 AM   #3369
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I can understand offering great service/amenities, but aren't delays/cancellations largely out of an airlines hands? You could run an airline flawlessly, but you're still dependent on weather and/or the airport one is flying into.
Sure. Remember, though: Turkish Airlines operates a large base at Atatόrk, in which it has been reporting quite a lot of delays due to flight volumes, hence delays are commonplace. I will browse more on its expansion progress here and on other sources to see what's going on at Istanbul's main gateway. And by the way, its other airport, Sabiha Gφkηen, is getting more flights with TK for its European and Middle Eastern destinations, which could help address congestion issues at Atatόrk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
They tout themselves as a fifth freedom carrier just like the gulf airlines, but do they really market themselves as luxurious? I'm not sure, at least definitely not compared to the likes of EK, QR, and EY.
I think they use famous players to show their business class seats, if I recall watching their commercials to the likes of Lionel Messi versus Kobe Bryant...

Going back to the Biman story, if it ever wants to fly to Toronto via Birmingham, the airline should really address its punctuality issues first because the last thing a passenger might want to experience is a two-plus-hour delay at the Tarmac for some unknown reason and end up in his or her destination hours late, causing multiple problems for them.

Last edited by fieldsofdreams; November 10th, 2013 at 07:12 AM.
Old November 10th, 2013, 07:28 AM   #3370
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Lets just start off by saying that it would not be smooth sailing for a senior even if they flew first class on EK via IST to YYZ from BEG. (if such a thing existed)... We need to be realistic here.... The reality is that you need the direct flights for such a mission when flying a senior on a longer flight. My grandfather was long gone in the casket by the time he hit the early 60s, let alone the 80s.

Just to add, the Serbs and Croats had their chance with Skyservice back in the mid and late 2000. The diaspora simply did not want to pitch in extra cash, so they went for promo LH/OS airfares and so on. So at the end, 5G had to fly the route with a 757, and that somehow lasted for a few years. I am not against saving the money, but that few hundred dollars will come and bite you back when your seniors have to fly.
Also, I flew TK this summer and I was very happy. The transit in IST was okay too. They took about 15 minutes to look at my documents to make sure that I had the legal paperwork/passport to get in Canada.
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2013, 07:34 AM   #3371
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
If Biman is to operate to Canada, one thing we need to be cautious of: many times, its flights depart way later than their published departure times, perhaps because of aircraft issues or passengers not being punctual on their flights. It has been put on notice on its flights to London Heathrow many times before, by the way...
I also saw on airliners forum that their DC10s were routed to YUL due to some FAA safety issues. They said that the aircraft was not safe or fit to land at JFK... That was the time when they had some serious issues. I think they need to fly nonstop if they want to get a hand of their ethnic people to use their service. That along three weekly rotations at least. My 0.02c
Old November 11th, 2013, 11:55 AM   #3372
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
I think they use famous players to show their business class seats, if I recall watching their commercials to the likes of Lionel Messi versus Kobe Bryant...
Yeah but that doesn't mean it's "luxurious" per say. Turkish sponsors a lot of sports teams and leverages this sponsorship to enhance its marketing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
Lets just start off by saying that it would not be smooth sailing for a senior even if they flew first class on EK via IST to YYZ from BEG. (if such a thing existed)... We need to be realistic here.... The reality is that you need the direct flights for such a mission when flying a senior on a longer flight. My grandfather was long gone in the casket by the time he hit the early 60s, let alone the 80s.

Also, I flew TK this summer and I was very happy. The transit in IST was okay too. They took about 15 minutes to look at my documents to make sure that I had the legal paperwork/passport to get in Canada.
To be honest, I don't know any airline that handles their IRROPS well except for CX and SQ. European carriers and their agents often try to deny the EU regulations when customers demand for compensation (electronic correspondence to Customer Service yields different results). There are even cases of systematic racism (recent AF case that was in the news) for IRROPs handling. Watching the recent National Geographic documentary, it seems EK is decent but I haven't, and hope to never, experience an IRROP with them.

IST by the way has the best Star Alliance lounge in the network. One good reason to fly TK just for their IST lounge
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 05:22 AM   #3373
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

I can't see where TK gets that plain or not luxury image that you guys keep bringing up..... Speaking of European airlines, I would rate them as second the best right after British Airways. TK has chef on board as well. The capacity will bring in more affordable airfares when travelling to Turkey/Eastern Europe.

Quote:
Yeah but that doesn't mean it's "luxurious" per say. Turkish sponsors a lot of sports teams and leverages this sponsorship to enhance its marketing.

To be honest, I don't know any airline that handles their IRROPS well except for CX and SQ. European carriers and their agents often try to deny the EU regulations when customers demand for compensation (electronic correspondence to Customer Service yields different results). There are even cases of systematic racism (recent AF case that was in the news) for IRROPs handling. Watching the recent National Geographic documentary, it seems EK is decent but I haven't, and hope to never, experience an IRROP with them.

IST by the way has the best Star Alliance lounge in the network. One good reason to fly TK just for their IST lounge
Old November 12th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #3374
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Well, it looks like AI has decided against resuming YYZ service...

http://centreforaviation.com/profile...al-airport-yyz

Seems we'll have to wait for AC to start with 787 service for anything non-stop
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #3375
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

Westjet will commence their very first transatlantic service, flying YYZ-YYT (St. John's Nfld) - DUB on June 15, 2014.....

http://westjet2.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=828

Definitely a surprise, and an interesting development......

collectormelon, fieldsofdreams liked this post
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #3376
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

It's even presented now on Airline Route... I wonder, though, if the YYZ-YYT sector is open for passengers as well (local traffic rights), given the following schedule:

WS016 YYZ1715 – 2143YYT2315 – 0700+1DUB 73W D
WS017 DUB0820 – 0955YYT1125 – 1321YYZ 73W D

And by the way, it will be a seasonal service, operating from 15 June to 4 October 2014 from Canada, add one day later from Ireland.

Source

Perhaps with this flight, it could be the first-ever scheduled (albeit seasonal) Transatlantic flight using a B737NG aircraft... what do you think?

Old November 16th, 2013, 01:05 AM   #3377
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Perhaps with this flight, it could be the first-ever scheduled (albeit seasonal) Transatlantic flight using a B737NG aircraft... what do you think?
That's a good question - could be?
Old November 16th, 2013, 04:28 PM   #3378
fitzmerchant

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
I wonder, though, if the YYZ-YYT sector is open for passengers as well (local traffic rights), given the following schedule:

WS016 YYZ1715 – 2143YYT2315 – 0700+1DUB 73W D
WS017 DUB0820 – 0955YYT1125 – 1321YYZ 73W D
It would help with the viability of the service. The competition is AC (Rouge) with non-stop service YYZ-DUB so price will become the defining factor. I'm kind of suspicious of any kind of a YYT-DUB market so I am thinking the YYT stop is actually a "tech" stop. Would love to see it succeed though.
fitzmerchant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 01:34 AM   #3379
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzmerchant View Post
It would help with the viability of the service. The competition is AC (Rouge) with non-stop service YYZ-DUB so price will become the defining factor. I'm kind of suspicious of any kind of a YYT-DUB market so I am thinking the YYT stop is actually a "tech" stop. Would love to see it succeed though.
There's also Porter flying between YTZ and YYT, granted with a stop at YHZ (Halifax). There are definitely tradeoffs between a cheaper direct fare on WestJet or the more upscale ride with Porter.

If they are letting people board in YYT, it may be able to draw from the rest of the Maritimes for additional passengers rather than having to head to YYZ or BOS.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 02:41 AM   #3380
rinathq
Eternal Dream

Likes (Received): 42

Any of you guys went to YYZ today? Was passing and had the camera so grabbed some snaps. But I saw some fire around the cargo area... fire drill?
rinathq no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto