daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 17th, 2013, 03:19 AM   #3381
rinathq
Eternal Dream

Likes (Received): 42

the pics from today... again sorry for the quality. The mist played a role too

BlueBird

Our very own

Loved the Rouge livery
http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4880cc95.jpg

Star Alliance

The older 777

and the newer 777

The fire i was talking about... pretty sure that was a fire drill

And my attraction of the day.... The Golden Beauty from Abu Dhabi

Cheers!

fieldsofdreams, Equario liked this post
rinathq no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #3382
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Is this 05 runway? Nice views.
YU-AMC está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 10:44 PM   #3383
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinathq View Post
Any of you guys went to YYZ today? Was passing and had the camera so grabbed some snaps. But I saw some fire around the cargo area... fire drill?
That is actually the Fire & Emergency Services Training Institute (FESTI) off of Courtneypark Dr.
What you saw was most likely one of the training exercises that are often run for first responders from around the world.
Old November 20th, 2013, 05:07 AM   #3384
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

Taiwanese newspaper reporting that an expanded air agreement between Canada and Taiwan has been reached..........

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiw.../19/2003577229
Old November 20th, 2013, 05:18 AM   #3385
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
Taiwanese newspaper reporting that an expanded air agreement between Canada and Taiwan has been reached..........

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiw.../19/2003577229
So we should hopefully see daily flights to TPE??

Here's another article, different topic, and not necessarily new information, but still good.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle15516226/
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 10:51 AM   #3386
ToroTO

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzmerchant View Post
I'm kind of suspicious of any kind of a YYT-DUB market so I am thinking the YYT stop is actually a "tech" stop. Would love to see it succeed though.
The new WestJet flights (16 and 17) can be booked for any portion, so YYZ-YYT is allowed on it's own or YYT-DUB is also fine. With routings via Toronto or St. John's, connections are possible throughout WS's network.
ToroTO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #3387
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12282

article from today's Globe and Mail:

Air Canada plans to beef up Pearson airport's role as international hub

GREG KEENAN

The Globe and Mail

Published Tuesday, Nov. 19 2013, 7:44 PM EST

Last updated Tuesday, Nov. 19 2013, 11:09 PM EST

With the allure of hassle-free flights, Air Canada plans to woo U.S. business travellers to fly through Toronto en route to Europe and Asia.

It won’t take many – just a few more U.S. travellers a day originating from cities on the U.S. Eastern Seaboard and heading to Asia should be enough to turn Toronto’s Pearson International Airport into a major international hub and boost the airline’s revenue by about $400-million annually, the company says....

read it all here:
Old November 21st, 2013, 03:55 AM   #3388
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18204

Well, they need to reduce the taxes first if they want to entice people to move based on price.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2013, 05:11 PM   #3389
collectormelon

Likes (Received): 90

plus many citizens of non US & EU countries need transit visas to transfer at any canadian airport.. even if the originating airport is US...
collectormelon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2013, 05:56 PM   #3390
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2346

Not just that but a protectionist stance on foreign airlines coming in.

Air Canada is just ordering replacement aircraft with no expansionism to justify this vision.
noir-dresses está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 10:25 PM   #3391
ACT7

Some tidbits from CAPA: Air China has applied to operate Shanghai-Toronto flights. Air Transat is introducing Toronto - Marseille in 2014.

http://centreforaviation.com/profile...al-airport-yyz

yyzer liked this post
Old November 23rd, 2013, 12:30 AM   #3392
GTR66
GTR66

Likes (Received): 312

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Well, they need to reduce the taxes first if they want to entice people to move based on price.
They loose so much revenue due to the fact that a lot of Canadians like to travel to the USA to get on international flights due to them being cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by collectormelon View Post

plus many citizens of non US & EU countries need transit visas to transfer at any canadian airport.. even if the originating airport is US...
I think they need to take a page out of China's book where they allow a 72 hour visa free stay. I think that would appeal to more people. Plus saves a lot of time of paper work and money on paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Some tidbits from CAPA: Air China has applied to operate Shanghai-Toronto flights. Air Transat is introducing Toronto - Marseille in 2014.

http://centreforaviation.com/profile...al-airport-yyz
According to Air Canada's website, Air Canada already flies to Vancouver and Toronto from Shanghai already. But Air China would be connecting a star alliance hub to another star alliance hub. Will see how it goes.
GTR66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2013, 03:39 AM   #3393
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR66 View Post
According to Air Canada's website, Air Canada already flies to Vancouver and Toronto from Shanghai already. But Air China would be connecting a star alliance hub to another star alliance hub. Will see how it goes.
And Hainan is also looking to start Shanghai-Toronto next year. Not *A, but that would make it three airlines running the route if it goes through. Funny, I would have thought Beijing would have been the most likely destination before Shanghai to see three carriers. Not complaining
Old November 23rd, 2013, 03:42 AM   #3394
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:

YVR is pushing pressure on the Canadian Gov't to prevent such need and proposing infrastructure that support int'l to int'l transfers. Perhaps in a few years this wouldn't be so much of an issue.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #3395
collectormelon

A few years might be too late for Pearson.. Look at the way.. ME3( EK, QR & AU) are slowing expanding into the US mainland..
Old November 25th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #3396
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Quote:

A few years might be too late for Pearson.. Look at the way.. ME3( EK, QR & AU) are slowing expanding into the US mainland..
EK/QR/AU won't be after the same market Toronto Pearson and AC are.

Flying to Dubai to fly to China/Japan or Europe is a non-starter for most people.
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #3397
collectormelon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
EK/QR/AU won't be after the same market Toronto Pearson and AC are.

Flying to Dubai to fly to China/Japan or Europe is a non-starter for most people.
yeah.. but what sort of a hub would it be if it only focused on Japan/China and ignore Europe(specifically eastern europe) and rest of asia..
Old November 25th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #3398
ACT7

Quote:
yeah.. but what sort of a hub would it be if it only focused on Japan/China and ignore Europe(specifically eastern europe) and rest of asia..
Who said Europe is being ignored? There has been strong expansion to Europe in the past two years alone, with more to come next year.

The focus,being Japan/China, is not at the expense of other regions, but that's just where the strongest growth is. There's really no denying that. And frankly, Japan is more of a re-org than anything else.
Old November 25th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #3399
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Interesting note from yyzhyd over on UT (he never posts here anymore! - if you're listening, please join us again).

The GTAA is looking at scrapping the original layout for the T1 expansions and focusing on a new Pier F-type Hammerhead into where the original T2 stood. Star Alliance will keep Pier F, and all non-aligned international carriers (including SkyTeam) will take the new pier. I like this more - and hopefully it's an architecturall stunning pier. Pier F can be remodeled to truly be AC-focused, especially in their endeavour to turn Toronto into a major global hub.
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 02:05 AM   #3400
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
Interesting note from yyzhyd over on UT (he never posts here anymore! - if you're listening, please join us again).

The GTAA is looking at scrapping the original layout for the T1 expansions and focusing on a new Pier F-type Hammerhead into where the original T2 stood. Star Alliance will keep Pier F, and all non-aligned international carriers (including SkyTeam) will take the new pier. I like this more - and hopefully it's an architecturall stunning pier. Pier F can be remodeled to truly be AC-focused, especially in their endeavour to turn Toronto into a major global hub.
I agree - I think that sounds like it makes more sense. And this time they can build it with some awe-inspiring retail concessions in mind, from the get-go. The hammerhead layout is very appealing in my opinion.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto