daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 3rd, 2014, 04:12 PM   #3481
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by city of the future View Post
Instead of letting more slots to Chinese, they should seriously consider letting more to EK and EY, which only have 3 slots a week.
This is coming fairly soon... Don't know the exact #'s in the final agreement but expecting 14 weekly for UAE split equally between EK/EY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
I am not sure if any of you have have noticed, but looks like Turkish added some departures around 4PM. That would offer much better connections for the Eastern Europe, and give them a chance to compete with the EU airlines offering the similar connections.
TK doesn't have any 4PM departures ex-YYZ. You might have seen a delayed departure from previous day or a frame that went tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
China Eastern are indeed adding Shanghai - YYZ, effective June 25...

http://airlineroute.net/2014/03/03/mu-yyz-jun14/
3x weekly... will be nice to catch their special liveried birds at YYZ.

Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2014, 04:56 PM   #3482
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2346

Latest rumors going around that UAE will get at least 21 weekly slots.
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 05:43 PM   #3483
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

So, so far this year we have new airlines in:
China Eastern
Aer Lingus
Air China
Possibly Biman Bangladesh
Hainan (not technically new, but a new route)

And hopefully increased service from EK and EY should there be a new bilateral, as well as increased service from EVA. And we're only in March!
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 05:49 PM   #3484
noir-dresses
bling bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
China Eastern
Aer Lingus
Air China

And hopefully increased service from EK and EY should there be a new bilateral, as well as increased service from EVA. And we're only in March!
Also expect Qatar, and Etihad to add A380 service to YYZ.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 05:53 PM   #3485
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Air France has also upgauged YYZ to a daily 744 in S14.
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 05:54 PM   #3486
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by noir-dresses View Post
Also expect Qatar, and Etihad to add A380 service to YYZ.
Qatar is adding flights to YYZ? They currently only fly to YUL.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 06:19 PM   #3487
noir-dresses
bling bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
I know but YYZ is certainly on they're radar.

They started with three weekly flights to YUL, but I'm not sure how many they have now. If I remember correctly I think Qatar also had a YYZ dedicated cargo service.

Qatar's expansion plans are going to hit the roof now with lot's of airframe deliveries, and fifty new destinations in the works.

Airframe deliveries will be a mix of 77Ws, 787s, 350s, and 380s. Basically they will have todays Emirates wide body fleet size in the next three years if not more.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 07:18 PM   #3488
ACT7

Quote:
The move to serve YUL first always surprised me. Their Canadian office is in Toronto, the clearly larger market is here, in particular with Southeast Asian onward passengers. My only thought is that is was based on goodwill to appease the Canadian government.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 08:04 PM   #3489
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Quote:
The move to serve YUL first always surprised me. Their Canadian office is in Toronto, the clearly larger market is here, in particular with Southeast Asian onward passengers. My only thought is that is was based on goodwill to appease the Canadian government.
That's exactly what it was.

I haven't seen anything tangible for Air China as of yet.. They're planning PEK-YYZ, correct?
Old March 3rd, 2014, 09:41 PM   #3490
yyzhyd

QR's growth in Canada will mimic TK but with YYZ and YUL flipped.
Expect QR to 5-6x weekly on YUL first before YYZ is started with 3x weekly.

If UAE does get 21 weekly to Canada as noir-dresses says is rumoured... EK and EY will certainly go daily A380 to YYZ. How the extra 7 frequencies get allocated and where will be very interesting. Does YVR get a daily EK or a mix of EK/EY. Or does EK go double daily to YYZ... so many scenarios.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 10:12 PM   #3491
jimyvr

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
So to confirm we have:

1) Hainan starting Shanghai-Toronto in addition to existing Beijing-Toronto
2) Air China starting Beijing-Toronto
3) China Eastern starting Shanghai-Toronto (?) - This one took me by surprise.
1) Rumour
2) Not on Air China's planned Summer 2014 new routes launch list. There were few claims that its application on PVG YYZ forced MU to launch their own service
3) This was also a rumour, which turned out to be true

Skeptical about Hainan's.
jimyvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 10:33 PM   #3492
rinathq
Eternal Dream

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post
QR's growth in Canada will mimic TK but with YYZ and YUL flipped.
Expect QR to 5-6x weekly on YUL first before YYZ is started with 3x weekly.

If UAE does get 21 weekly to Canada as noir-dresses says is rumoured... EK and EY will certainly go daily A380 to YYZ. How the extra 7 frequencies get allocated and where will be very interesting. Does YVR get a daily EK or a mix of EK/EY. Or does EK go double daily to YYZ... so many scenarios.
EK will serve YVR and YYC if they do get that extra 7 frequency. I dont think EY will be interested to fly more than 7X weekly to Canada right now. But EK did try to operate out of Calgary for quite some time now. So expect at least a 3 weekly start..
rinathq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 10:35 PM   #3493
rinathq
Eternal Dream

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
China Eastern
Aer Lingus
Air China

Add Qatar to the list. I read somewhere they are planning to start flights from next winter
rinathq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 11:06 PM   #3494
noir-dresses
bling bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinathq View Post
EK will serve YVR and YYC if they do get that extra 7 frequency. I dont think EY will be interested to fly more than 7X weekly to Canada right now. But EK did try to operate out of Calgary for quite some time now. So expect at least a 3 weekly start..
EK never wanted to fly to Calgary, Canada told them they have to fly to Calgary if they want Vancouver. Calgary just doesn't have the capacity needed to be justified. I heard Calgary would have less pax potential in one year than Vancouver in a month.

Have any of you thought about a possible Etihad Air Canada tie up??? Not a code share what they have now, but Etihad buying a stake in AC. The Canadian government wouldn't have to keep bailing out AC when they lose money, and Etihad would get the North American partner/YYZ hub it so badly wants. Think about it, YYZ is connected to every destination in North America which is a win win for EY and AC. This would by far make YYZ a serious North American hub.

Etihad's logical choice in North America should be Delta considering they're both partners with AF/KLM, but Delta seems to be Etihad's biggest critic.

The Canadian/UAE relationship is warmer than ever, and a lot of new news will be released around the next Canadian elections. Harper will use this some how to his advantage.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 11:48 PM   #3495
EmiratesAirline380

Likes (Received): 581

I believe QR is 5x weekly to YUL.

21 weekly flights will be fantastic, and a huge increase from the 3x weekly currently allowed to EK.
Interesting that EK is forced to fly to YYC. I don't think its that bad though. YYC might not have a large international passenger market, but together Calgary and Edmonton have a population of 2+ million so there is a large market. Moreover, their is barely any competition for EK at YYC. Expect Calgary to be served by 77L. The government probably wants airlines to use their new international terminal that will open at YYC soon.
YVR will be quite successful and could certainly be a future A380 route.

EY will accelerate growth in a few years once all their aircraft orders begin to arrive. Then we will see EY expansion into Canada.

A EY stake in AC would be very interesting. AC is quite profitable, so it would be the only stake EY would own in a profitable airline. The only question is, would EY be willing for AC to feed their flights at AUH, or would EY want to service Canada with their own aircraft, especially since EY will be getting an increase in flights as well?

255 Aircraft - 150+ Destinations - 252 aircraft orders

ETIHAD AIRWAYS

124 Aircraft - 112 Destinations - 198 aircraft orders

Last edited by EmiratesAirline380; March 3rd, 2014 at 11:53 PM.
EmiratesAirline380 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2014, 11:59 PM   #3496
yyzhyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimyvr View Post
1) Rumour
2) Not on Air China's planned Summer 2014 new routes launch list. There were few claims that its application on PVG YYZ forced MU to launch their own service
3) This was also a rumour, which turned out to be true

Skeptical about Hainan's.
#1 is loaded in GDS IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinathq View Post
Not a chance EK will be in YYC as part of this rumoured increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiratesAirline380 View Post
I believe QR is 5x weekly to YUL.

21 weekly flights will be fantastic, and a huge increase from the 3x weekly currently allowed to EK.
Interesting that EK is forced to fly to YYC. I don't think its that bad though. YYC might not have a large international passenger market, but together Calgary and Edmonton have a population of 2+ million so there is a large market. Moreover, their is barely any competition for EK at YYC. Expect Calgary to be served by 77L. The government probably wants airlines to use their new international terminal that will open at YYC soon.
YVR will be quite successful and could certainly be a future A380 route.

EY will accelerate growth in a few years once all their aircraft orders begin to arrive. Then we will see EY expansion into Canada.

A EY stake in AC would be very interesting. AC is quite profitable, so it would be the only stake EY would own in a profitable airline. The only question is, would EY be willing for AC to feed their flights at AUH, or would EY want to service Canada with their own aircraft, especially since EY will be getting an increase in flights as well?
QR flies 3x weekly to YUL.
Again... not a chance EK lands in YYC with this round of frequencies.
Don't see an AC/EY tie-up either... AC works too well with LH & UA on their JV that there's no real incentive for AC.
Old March 4th, 2014, 12:20 AM   #3497
noir-dresses
bling bling

AC just lately made a profit here, and there after massive loses year on year, and the LH alliance is more about feeding pax to FRA, and MUC for big brother LH.

Let's see what happens when the ME's three Amigo's, plus Turkish get more slots in Canada, and a massive expansion in the United States.

Don't forget LH is also getting stiff competition on it's own turf at home. Etihad's tie up with Air Berlin won't do LH any favors, and EK will sooner, than later flood Germany, and Switzerland with A380's. Austria, and Belgium could also see EK SJs.

EY will also give LH a hard time if the Alitalia deal goes through.

Try to picture what the scenario will look like in five to ten years from now?

Chinese, and Asian airlines will also give AC still competition on the Trans Pacific sector.
Old March 4th, 2014, 02:07 AM   #3498
ACT7

Agree with the fact that EK will never be at YYC, no matter what the CAA says and how they justified their over-sized, novelty international pier. BA is barely staying afloat at YYC (that's according the Calgary Airport threads on SSP) and we all know what happened to LH. Even YVR would struggle to maintain a daily EK or EY service, and with EK at SEA, I don't see them starting YVR anytime soon.

EK will almost certainly fly double daily to YYZ if allowed. YYZ-Southeast Asia is so horribly under-served, there is plenty of room for substantially increased capacity.
Old March 4th, 2014, 04:15 AM   #3499
jimyvr

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post
#1 is loaded in GDS IIRC.

Hainan never loaded PVG YYZ sked in the GDS nor open reservations.
jimyvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 04:24 AM   #3500
patel2897
INDIA

Likes (Received): 3604

and video CLICK HERE >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuC6nwe17Do Air Canada First B787 Dreamliner
Peace Begins With Smile - Mother Teresa. He Who Has The Knowledge has the Responsibility To Impart It To The Students.-Rabindranath Tagore. Live As If You Were To Die Tomorrow. Learn As If You Were To Live Forever. - Mahatma Gandhi. My YouTube Channel Subscribe : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHt...sCBbDKXmkN4YFw

Zaz965 liked this post
patel2897 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto