daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 29th, 2014, 05:49 AM   #3521
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Cat View Post
Its called govt cut backs: Significant reductions in air travel by fed civil servants, more redundancies every year of civil servants, and for many no significant pay rises for many years.

Compare with Edmonton with the energy industry and all the people coming and going who work in northern Alberta.
I always had it in mind that kind of traffic would be pushing Ottawa.... On the flipside, I always run into budget travellers from Ottawa that use YYZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
I would think that this is highly unlikely, but Turkmenistan Airlines have announced they are planning on flights to YYZ...

http://en.cihan.com.tr/news/Turkmeni...CHMTM4NDE4NC80

afaik, there is no current bilateral air agreement between Canada and Turkmenistan...
That seems like a long shot to me. Their fleet is just way too small to feed the mighty 772LR. Lets hope I am wrong on this one.
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2014, 07:17 AM   #3522
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzer View Post
I would think that this is highly unlikely, but Turkmenistan Airlines have announced they are planning on flights to YYZ...

http://en.cihan.com.tr/news/Turkmeni...CHMTM4NDE4NC80

afaik, there is no current bilateral air agreement between Canada and Turkmenistan...
Hmm - that would be neat, but I think you're right about it being a bit of a long shot...at least for the time being.
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2014, 02:41 PM   #3523
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

Likes (Received): 14457

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
That seems like a long shot to me. Their fleet is just way too small to feed the mighty 772LR. Lets hope I am wrong on this one.
I don't think that they even bother about this. They are state owned(read toy) airline.

Discover Ukraine - The vibrant country: https://youtu.be/Pu8tL3ptXRM and Kyiv - The city of many faces: on SSC
Equario no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 04:44 AM   #3524
Kuba116

Likes (Received): 24

Excellent photos, YU-AMC; not bad for a Friday morning spotting session! Today commended the start of the summer seasons, we had a KLM MD-11 in and Lufthansa 747-400.
Kuba116 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2014, 06:41 AM   #3525
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Yeah, I also saw Saudi ? , but I missed it by the time I found a spot.... Also there were way too many airport security suvs zipping by... Someone told me that tend to bugg people on Carlingview, whereas at Wendys, we can just relax. Btw do you if we can listen Atc tower on our cellphones? In that case you we will not need a radio scanner.
Old April 1st, 2014, 06:21 PM   #3526
Kuba116

Quote:
Yeah, I also saw Saudi ? , but I missed it by the time I found a spot.... Also there were way too many airport security suvs zipping by... Someone told me that tend to bugg people on Carlingview, whereas at Wendys, we can just relax. Btw do you if we can listen Atc tower on our cellphones? In that case you we will not need a radio scanner.
I've never been bugged at Carlingview, but if you're there with several other cars then you won't look suspicious at all.
Ya, I actually listen to atc on my phone when I go spotting rather than with a scanner. Go to liveatc.net and you can stream, barely uses any data, and you have three frequencies in one so you don't have to switch between them. It is particularly useful when spotting to hear what runway they will put your desired aircraft on so you can quickly drive to the other if you're at the wrong spot.
Old April 1st, 2014, 07:47 PM   #3527
ACT7

So it looks like Air China should be making an announcement anytime for PVG-YYZ:

http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...in-2014-160038

Quote:
Air China is most bullish internationally on Europe and North America. In 2013 Air China grew 40% in the United States, according to its statistics. Further growth for 2014 includes increasing the frequency on Beijing-Houston, opening Beijing-Washington Dulles service and the already launched (in Jan-2014) Beijing-Hawaii service. Air China will also launch Shanghai-Toronto service.
Old April 2nd, 2014, 02:33 AM   #3528
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
So it looks like Air China should be making an announcement anytime for PVG-YYZ:

http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...in-2014-160038
Looking forward to yet another Chinese carrier at YYZ!

Hainan, btw, switched to their 787 as of yesterday...apparently they were given a water cannon salute on arrival...
Old April 2nd, 2014, 05:06 AM   #3529
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

I am not sure if I have asked once already, but they are saying on airliners that British is phasing out their 747s birds... I love to see them send an A380 on their summer 7pm arrival.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 12:14 PM   #3530
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2346

Has any body tried out the Istanbul-Toronto flight by Turkish Airlines, would like to hear your comments? I'm not taking my usual Air Canada/Lufthansa/British Airways/KLM legacy carriers this time. I hope the service, and inflight entertainment will be good.

I just booked a ticket from Croatia to Toronto using TK for the first time. Yes I am going to be going out of my way with a longer flight by around two hours, but on my Zagreb-Istanbul leg they will provide me with a hotel stay in Istanbul which I found favorable. I will have just enough time to have coffee, and a breakfast in the old part of Istanbul before my flight leaves for Toronto at 14:10.

On my return flights I'll most likely try and see the Cave Hotels in Cappadocia once I arrive in Istanbul, that's before my return leg to Zagreb.
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 02:52 PM   #3531
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by noir-dresses View Post
Has any body tried out the Istanbul-Toronto flight by Turkish Airlines, would like to hear your comments? I'm not taking my usual Air Canada/Lufthansa/British Airways/KLM legacy carriers this time. I hope the service, and inflight entertainment will be good.

I just booked a ticket from Croatia to Toronto using TK for the first time. Yes I am going to be going out of my way with a longer flight by around two hours, but on my Zagreb-Istanbul leg they will provide me with a hotel stay in Istanbul which I found favorable. I will have just enough time to have coffee, and a breakfast in the old part of Istanbul before my flight leaves for Toronto at 14:10.

On my return flights I'll most likely try and see the Cave Hotels in Cappadocia once I arrive in Istanbul, that's before my return leg to Zagreb.
My grandma flew YYZ-IST-BEG and back a few months ago. The onboard product + food she considered excellent. Her TV did not work though (even though she was in the premium economy cabin). However, the flight was 4h late leaving YYZ (we ended up booking another flight next week) and 5h late coming back to Toronto! I guess they just can't schedule their flights to save their lives...
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 06:11 PM   #3532
Kuba116

From a few recent trips:

Equario, Black Cat, Joseph85, abnet, ovnours liked this post

Last edited by Kuba116; April 3rd, 2014 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Forgot photo
Old April 3rd, 2014, 10:41 PM   #3533
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Where was the very first picture taken?
Old April 4th, 2014, 04:33 AM   #3534
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Where was the very first picture taken?
top of the hill parallel to Rwy 33L... great spot!
Keep in mind that between Sept-April if they're using the 33s it's probably cold blustry day.
Old April 6th, 2014, 08:52 PM   #3535
ACT7

Looks like the Turkenistan rumour is gaining some steam. CAPA is now reporting it and they're usually spot on with their news.

http://centreforaviation.com/profile...al-airport-yyz
Old April 8th, 2014, 01:45 AM   #3536
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzhyd View Post
top of the hill parallel to Rwy 33L... great spot!
Keep in mind that between Sept-April if they're using the 33s it's probably cold blustry day.
I found it right away. Thanks.

Would you happen to know when AC may be replacing their B763 on YYZ-LAX with the new 787? I am heading to LA in a month or two, and I am trying to avoid being stuck on a smaller airplane on a five hour flight. I would rather take 763 over A320.
Old April 14th, 2014, 03:46 AM   #3537
ACT7

Looks like Biman Bangladesh is aiming to start YYZ in November...

http://www.talaviation.com/Biman-Ban...-GSA-in-Canada

Quote:
As part of its reorganization plan, Biman will re-institute twice-weekly service between Dhaka and New York’s JFK in April 2014, with additional plans to initiate service between Dhaka and Toronto in November 2014. Both flights will operate modern B777-ER equipment, with intermediate stops in Birmingham, UK.
Old April 14th, 2014, 04:02 PM   #3538
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

the first Aer Lingus scheduled flight from DUB to YYZ is today - EI 129 will operate with a 757, and is due in at 16:15....they'll be using Terminal 3....
Old April 16th, 2014, 06:14 AM   #3539
ACT7

Anyone have any insight as to why the GTAA is taking their sweet time releasing 2014 pax stats to date?
Old April 16th, 2014, 07:02 AM   #3540
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10969

They've never struck me as an organization that does the 'small' things well. Divulging information, good signage, amenities, etc. are an after thought and have always been handled poorly.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; April 16th, 2014 at 07:12 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto