daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 10th, 2014, 12:42 AM   #3641
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiratesAirline380 View Post
Huge demand for passengers flying to South Asia via AUH.

You bet!

Btw here is a nice picture from 1962...... Wow!

and ...

www.airliners.net
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2014, 06:04 AM   #3642
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
I honestly see this as a temporary suspension given Alitalia's never-ending situation....

Once Etihad completes the takeover, they'll be more than happy to go around those pesky Canadian restrictions by funnelling pax from AUH - FCO - YYZ.
Since we are on this subject, some insiders from Air Serbia are saying that JU is some talks to wet lease Polish LOT 787s. I guess it will take some time for Etihad's A330 birds to get reconfigured in order to enter JU's longhaul fleet. We will see what comes out of it. BEG and AUH are linked with two daily flights. JU just started BEY as well.

I would be amazed to see their bird at YYZ!
Old July 10th, 2014, 06:26 AM   #3643
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinathq View Post
o yea.... probably has the nicest spot for talking shots of aircraft holding short or landing on 24. From Britannia rd, take convair dr and drive a little until the road curves left and u will see a slight hill on the right. Basically u walk up the hill and u will get an amazing view of the taxiway leading to 06L. But problem is you cant park the car there as security will shout u away. But if you are lucky you can stand there for a bit and get some great shots.
I apologize for the late reply. There is a cure for that. Once in a blue moon, I like to take my racing bicycle to the Pearson. It is about 30kms from my house. The only issue that I come across is the neglected infrastructure and driving culture in the west end.

We have to grab a coffee one day.

Old July 10th, 2014, 06:31 AM   #3644
yyzer

Likes (Received): 45

The U.A.E's Foreign Minister has been on a cross Canada tour this week, and is in Toronto today...he arrived on a UAE Government 777, registration A6-ALN, which is currently parked at the north end of YYZ....

Tonight they issued a joint statement which covered a lot of issues, but nothing definite about a revised airline bilateral....this is all they say:

Quote:
We will work toward increasing the number of air travellers between our nations.
http://www.international.gc.ca/media....aspx?lang=eng

Hopefully they will announce a revised agreement before we are all senior citizens in a nursing home...
Old July 10th, 2014, 06:48 AM   #3645
Kuba116

Likes (Received): 24

Air Canada's 787:

Sudbury liked this post
Kuba116 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 06:55 AM   #3646
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

CX to HKG
[IMG]http://i62.************/15s955i.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i57.************/wlr4mo.jpg[/IMG]
PAL to MNL via YVR (Took it for our Filipino friend from SFO)
[IMG]http://i58.************/oidfdy.jpg[/IMG]
CX arriving from HKG
[IMG]http://i60.************/34qlrmo.jpg[/IMG]
AZ and Sky Team check counters.
[IMG]http://i60.************/2l5r3s.jpg[/IMG]

I flew out of Pearson last month, and I took a few cellphone pictures on that new T3 rewamped departure area. It feels a lot more vibrant and nicer.

CX arriving from HKG
Old July 10th, 2014, 05:13 PM   #3647
LO 044

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
Since we are on this subject, some insiders from Air Serbia are saying that JU is some talks to wet lease Polish LOT 787s. I guess it will take some time for Etihad's A330 birds to get reconfigured in order to enter JU's longhaul fleet. We will see what comes out of it. BEG and AUH are linked with two daily flights. JU just started BEY as well.

I would be amazed to see their bird at YYZ!
This makes sense as LO cannot open any routes due to the European Commission investigation so they are farming out the aircraft to whomever it makes sense financially. They have wet leased the 787 to AY a couple of times now due to AY refurbishing their 330's.

On an opposite note, the European Commission has now ruled that there were no rules broken by the government providing LO prop up infusion amount of cash so wet leasing will only work for LO for some time. They will open new routes at some point.
LO 044 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 11:04 PM   #3648
ACT7

Likes (Received): 77

Don't know if this was mentioned yet, but AC is starting Panama City service from YYZ in December:

http://airlineroute.net/2014/07/08/ac-pty-w14/

Quote:
Air Canada from 17DEC14 is introducing Toronto – Panama City service, where it’ll operate 3 weekly flights, on board Airbus A319 aircraft. The announcement comes from days after the airline received operational licence on this route from the Canadaian Transportation Agency on 02JUL14.

AC964 YYZ0830 – 1405PTY 319 357
AC965 PTY1505 – 2040YYZ 319 357
ACT7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 08:37 AM   #3649
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO 044 View Post
This makes sense as LO cannot open any routes due to the European Commission investigation so they are farming out the aircraft to whomever it makes sense financially. They have wet leased the 787 to AY a couple of times now due to AY refurbishing their 330's.

On an opposite note, the European Commission has now ruled that there were no rules broken by the government providing LO prop up infusion amount of cash so wet leasing will only work for LO for some time. They will open new routes at some point.
Lets see how that goes, but EC just approved the legal aid funds that were injected by Slovenian government for cash strapped Adria... Lets see how it turns out for Polish LOT. Lets hope the both sides benefit from the deal. I think Etihad is eager to bring JU back in YYZ for their "overbooking traffic". They keep using TK for the overbookings, and some other airlines, so they may as well use JU where they have 49% stake. Lets see what comes out of it.
Old July 14th, 2014, 05:55 PM   #3650
ACT7

Looks like AC is suspending YYZ-NRT for the winter. Not sure if this will be reversed before the schedule is finalized, but it's a surprising move. HND will be serviced with a 77L.

http://airlineroute.net/2014/07/12/ac-nrt-w14update1/

Quote:
Air Canada to Suspend Toronto – Tokyo Narita Service in W14
by JL

Update at 0550GMT 12JUL14

Air Canada from 25OCT14 to 27MAR15 appears to be cancelling Toronto – Tokyo Narita service for the Winter season, as the Star Alliance member removed AC001/002 flight from its inventory during this period.

AC in Winter season will continue to operate Toronto – Tokyo Haneda route with Boeing 777-200LR aircraft.

AC005 YYZ1410 – 1705+1HND 77L D
AC006 HND1850 – 1645YYZ 77L D
Do you think HND has taken so much demand away from NRT?
Old July 16th, 2014, 07:56 AM   #3651
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

^Yup, saw it. Btw there is an other topic about YYZ, so called, "Who No Euro A380 in YYZ"... They are saying that YYZ market is not premium enough to support the A380 service to or from Europe... What is your take on this? I think BA could pull it off easy with an A380.
Old July 16th, 2014, 03:26 PM   #3652
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by YU-AMC View Post
^Yup, saw it. Btw there is an other topic about YYZ, so called, "Who No Euro A380 in YYZ"... They are saying that YYZ market is not premium enough to support the A380 service to or from Europe... What is your take on this? I think BA could pull it off easy with an A380.
Not only BA, but LH and probably KE could pull it off.

Their premium loads are quite good out of YYZ, but again, opportunity cost of sending those aircraft to even bigger premium destinations. Toronto is wealthy, but cannot compare to even wealthier cities of 10-20 million people.

collectormelon liked this post
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2014, 07:49 PM   #3653
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip View Post
Not only BA, but LH and probably KE could pull it off.

Their premium loads are quite good out of YYZ, but again, opportunity cost of sending those aircraft to even bigger premium destinations. Toronto is wealthy, but cannot compare to even wealthier cities of 10-20 million people.
I agree with that. It's not that European airlines couldn't use their 380's to YYZ for yield-related reasons, but sending smaller aircraft with higher frequency, timed for ideal connections is more realistic and makes more sense economically.

I'm also of the opinion that European carriers (some of them anyway) may have overshot with the 380. I think the 787 is going to take some passengers off the 380 for a much more pleasurable flight experience.
Old July 17th, 2014, 06:25 AM   #3654
metroboi_nay

Likes (Received): 0

I thought YYZ-HND was a 787 route? NRT is inconvenient, while HND is closer to the city, so I think it's a good move. Personally prefer HND over NRT.
Old July 17th, 2014, 03:37 PM   #3655
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroboi_nay View Post
I thought YYZ-HND was a 787 route? NRT is inconvenient, while HND is closer to the city, so I think it's a good move. Personally prefer HND over NRT.
HND is basically IN the city! Much better choice for travel into Japan, even for transferring onto a domestic flight.
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014, 03:49 PM   #3656
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18198

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
I agree with that. It's not that European airlines couldn't use their 380's to YYZ for yield-related reasons, but sending smaller aircraft with higher frequency, timed for ideal connections is more realistic and makes more sense economically.

I'm also of the opinion that European carriers (some of them anyway) may have overshot with the 380. I think the 787 is going to take some passengers off the 380 for a much more pleasurable flight experience.
But European carriers don't have many flights to Toronto to begin with outside of London. How can the frequency argument hold when :
- Lufthansa only flies 1x a day from each of Frankfurt and Munich
- Air France only flies 1x a day from Paris
- Alitalia only flies 1x a day from Rome

I think yield is a very important aspect in deploying whether it is worth deploying a huge A380 with large J and F classes to fill. The economics quickly fail when they oversell Y and upgrade these cheap tickets into an empty premium cabin.

No matter what new or old widebody you take, Y is a crappy place to be for a long flight.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2014, 04:18 PM   #3657
ACT7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
But European carriers don't have many flights to Toronto to begin with outside of London. How can the frequency argument hold when :

I think yield is a very important aspect in deploying whether it is worth deploying a huge A380 with large J and F classes to fill. The economics quickly fail when they oversell Y and upgrade these cheap tickets into an empty premium cabin.

No matter what new or old widebody you take, Y is a crappy place to be for a long flight.
Fair enough, but factor in that AC flies all those routes as well, and passengers have a choice of timing and comfort over, as you said, being crammed into Y on a 380.
Old July 18th, 2014, 08:42 AM   #3658
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post

Very true on all above... Btw if you are going to fly coach on a long flight, I say 2X3X2 seating on a 767 is the best option if that is available.. No wonder why they got nine abreast sitting on a B787... I guess to make the premium economy look better IMHO.
Old July 18th, 2014, 05:44 PM   #3659
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO 044 View Post

The wet lease to Finnair is only for 2 weeks. LOT will utilize 1,5 of it's 6 Dreamliner fleet on long haul charters, the other 4,5 will need to cover trans-atlantic and China flights (this is the plan for the winter season). The only possible time for wet leasing of a 787 to Serbia is the summer 2015 season. Winter 2015 (September onwards) LOT plans to launch new Asian destinations as the agreement with the EC allows for new long haul routs to be opened after the 2014 summer season. 2015 is when we will see the 7th and 8th Dreamliner join the fleet so we will see what happens however, I know that ultimately LOT wants to use 4 787s to service Trans Atlantic routes and 4 787s to service Asian routes.
J@nek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 12:35 AM   #3660
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The wet lease to Finnair is only for 2 weeks. LOT will utilize 1,5 of it's 6 Dreamliner fleet on long haul charters, the other 4,5 will need to cover trans-atlantic and China flights (this is the plan for the winter season). The only possible time for wet leasing of a 787 to Serbia is the summer 2015 season. Winter 2015 (September onwards) LOT plans to launch new Asian destinations as the agreement with the EC allows for new long haul routs to be opened after the 2014 summer season. 2015 is when we will see the 7th and 8th Dreamliner join the fleet so we will see what happens however, I know that ultimately LOT wants to use 4 787s to service Trans Atlantic routes and 4 787s to service Asian routes.

I keep reading on airliners that their new Asian destinations are just, so called, "pipe dream"... Is there any truth in that? Good to see that they can deploy the B787s in the winter... I was always wondering who purchased their old longhaul fleet? Btw I think you sent me your phone number once, so we will grab some coffee and maybe a dinner soon.

Tags
canada, canadian airports, northamerica airport hubs, toronto